Guest viewing is limited

THR Insexec THR Update - Take Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a CFO of an insurance company that was acquired a couple years ago and all the top officers of the company were let go. Since then I have decided to enjoy life. So...it was kinda of a retirement by circumstances, although I am not complaining.

I'm with you, though not in your business... insexs...
Wondered what the abbreviation REALLY meant, lol!!!
The reason I'm doing my knees is exactly that: TO ENJOY LIFE! I couldn't even go to yoga class anymore...and travel, pulling luggage, well, had to medicate myself heavily. No fun. So I've dedicated a year and a half to re-doing me!
 
Hey 54 and fighting, my surgeon just cleared me for some activities that did not include surfing. Paddle boards are always out there with us surfing, but usually with smaller waves. My surgeon surfs, and says 'he cannot think of a better way to destroy both of my hip surgeries than to go back to surfing. It's time to do something else.'
 
Hey 54 and fighting, my surgeon just cleared me for some activities that did not include surfing. Paddle boards are always out there with us surfing, but usually with smaller waves. My surgeon surfs, and says 'he cannot think of a better way to destroy both of my hip surgeries than to go back to surfing. It's time to do something else.'
Awww, come on...waterman1, no stand up paddle boarding? On a calm lake or ocean? Just once ;-) ? Or twice....
I have desire to surf per se, it just looks so zen to be standing on the water, paddling around...but there is no way with my old knees I could haul myself up to standing, that's for sure. One down, one to go.
I would willingly trade out ocean kayaking if I had to, though!
 
Hey 54, I don't want to steal this thread, but hey, hey, it sounds like you have the spirit still burning strong, and that is what gets us all over and beyond these surgeries, right? I can still give surf lessons, so I'll see you on Cocoa Beach someday soon :)
 
Hi, @insexec ,

Best wishes on Tuesday!

I am now about two months post on hip 2 (5 months on hip 1) and while healing continues, life is good (though keeping distances short is still smart for me!).

With the benefit of hindsight I am so glad to have completed the second surgery -- it was unquestionably coming and the fact that it is in the rear view mirror rather than the future is a great relief. I hope you find that to be the case too.

I am now back in my convertible, pretty-much pain free ((still some stiffness in the newer one) and planning on fall travel for fun overseas.

I continue to underestimate how much energy healing takes and still have lots of the "energy drain" so I hope you are more kind and accepting to yourself if you have similar experiences than I have been!

And it all sure beats the heck out of the walker and pain before surgery, all of which pain will be done for you soon!

You are clearly on top of the hip recovery game, so recover well and the Bonesmart community will look forward to hearing your excellent progress.

-Hip2it
Left THR February 2014
Right THR May 15 2014
 
Thank you, @hip2it. I am so ready for the surgery tomorrow. My pain level on my non-operated hip has sky-rocketed over the past few days and I just want it gone. I too want this behind me so that my wife and I can do the things we have missed for the last 12-15 months. I have to say that she is the one that has helped me cope with the "energy drain" by the care and comfort she has given me...... all while she multi-tasked her professional career without missing a beat.
I have to add that this community has also helped me in my recovery process and sure hope that it continues with my second THR.
Enjoy the convertible and the fun travel overseas!!!! I am jealous but my time will come.
 
Wishing you positive thoughts for your surgery. So glad this will soon be behind you and you can get back to your life :) keep us updated.


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
@insexec, my husband is also in insurance, and while he's happy at his company, should similar circumstances lead to an early retirement, he wouldn't be terribly disappointed! At age 62, he's ready to retire! I think he's surprised about that--didn't plan to retire ever, but is finally ready to trade work for other pursuits. He plans to stick it out several more years until I'm eligible for Medicare though, since lupus makes my prospects of maintaining health insurance both shaky and necessary. (Maybe the ACA will change that -- still too soon to be confident.) We're really looking forward to retirement and a lot more travel time now that I have two good hips!

Best wishes for smooth sailing for your second surgery on Tuesday!

-Debby

LTHR 5/29/2014
RTHR 9/20/2011
 
Thank you, @psychteach. I want my second THR recovery to be just like yours.....after all there is the upcoming Tour de France!!
Thank you, @Dkp. I can seriously tell you that I was never ever looking for a career in insurance but got into it by happenstance. That being said...I loved it once I got into it. I was a CFO of a workers compensation insurance company which prided itself in caring for the treatment of the injured workers. We also spent a lot of time in training employers to have a safe working environment for their employees. A lot of personal satisfaction for me. I guess our model was so good that we got acquired. Must have been fate because I'm (was!) just loving being retired. My wife more than enjoys her job and would not dream of retiring any time soon. Sorry about your lupus. Hope all works out and he can also retire soon and the two of can sail off into the sunset.
 
All the best tomorrow @insexec !
You know the drill, now await the positive healing experience and happy outcome. :flwrysmile:
 
Saying a prayer and sending positive thoughts . I too am noticing 3 weeks post op that my Un - op hip is squawking. I know it is arthritic but I need to wait until next summer as I teach and I do not have that much accrued sick time. Best to you!
 
Thank you, @HippyHelen. Oh no about your un-op hip. Hope it calms down enough for you. One suggestion.....if it gets too unbearable is to have a physical therapist do some traction on that hip. It gave me some temporary relief from the compression that was going on there. But......surgery was inevitable for me.
 
@insexec , your turn is here! I'll be thinking of you and sending positive energy your way in support of a successful procedure. At what time is your surgery scheduled? I imagine that by this time tomorrow you will be in recovery and just weeks away from getting back to at least some of the activities that you enjoy! I think you will notice immediately how wonderful it is to have two strong hips that move without pain!
 
Thank you, @CodeGirl. Surgery is scheduled for 7:30 am tomorrow. I just can't wait for the procedure to be over and for me to begin the recovery mode!!! I will post an update as soon as I'm able to after the procedure.
 
@insexec, so happy that your day is here! Best wishes for an uneventful surgery, a blissful recovery, and happy travels down the road!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom