Revision TKR Infection resolved! New knee 1/26/15. This one is going to be great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Margueritte

So glad to hear your operation was successful and you're on the road to recovery now. It does get easier and before you know it, you'll be walking well again :)

Keep smiling!!

Cheers

~Nona
 
Home! It is good to be here although Duke did a magnificent job with everything. I feel like a truck ran over me but will probably feel better when some of the meds and anesthesia wash out. My hematocrit is 27 - was 40- so another reason I am tired. Many things in the house seem to need doing and it is hard not to try to straighten up etc. I have already done too much I am sure.

An organism finally grew so I did have an infection. Coag negative staph which is part of normal body flora treated with vancomycin. They have a cool way of administering antibiotics using a pressurized ball. It's pretty easy. I'm on Aspirin and they suggested Celebrex. Literally the GI issues have been the worst part but I think are resolving.

I tried covering the pic line with plastic wrap last night but got everything wet. Will have to try something else.

My dog Emily has been very distressed that I was missing and has whined and moped all week. We had a wonderful homecoming and she has not let me out of her site. Is here on the bed.

Hope you all are getting better. Thanks. For checking on me and caring. I will start to send encouragement myself soon to others.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Margueritte - so glad to hear you are at home and recuperating! You have such a fabulous positive attitude, and I am crossing my fingers that all goes smoothly with this recovery.

Also glad to hear that Duke took care of you. I'm in NC, as well - and putting aside my feelings at Duke (I'm a UNC grad-hah!) - it's good to know that they were able to help!
 
Those medicine balls are great! You can stuff them in your pocket, and forget about them while you do other things!:happydance:
 
Yes. You may have helped me about the pain ankle to my knee. Did it cross over the top of your foot?
 
Hi @smile
I had severe pain lateral lower leg to ankle starting immediately after surgery. It was especially painful when I would swing my leg somewhat medially- like getting on my bed or in a car. I had trouble at night as well and woke up every 15 minutes. No one addressed it as I had full function of my ankle and foot. Patients with a perineal nerve injury can have something called foot drop- I didnt.
I was so upset that no one would listen that I went to a neuro surgeon who sent me for a nerve conduction study. I did have a deficit! The study is not fun as they stimulate the nerve - but I wanted to prove it.
A specialist at UNC used lidocaine and maybe some normal saline and injected beside the nerveit to free it from what he felt was scar tissue using ultrasound guidance. My leg and foot were numb for several hours. Islept for 10 hours straight that night and that pain has not reoccurred. My orthopedic surgeon said the lidocaine just reset the nerve- I think it freed it from whatever occurred during surgery. I hope this helps! My pain did not go over my foot though .
 
Well- I finished antibiotics in November! My cultures from surgery grew coag neg staff so I was put on vancomycin. After 3 weeks I began to have episodes of shaking chills and fever - my temp would be higher each time. Infectious disease tlokd me I had flu.... After 2 trips to the ER when my WBC count had gone down to 2- and my temp was 102 my pic line was pulled in case it was infected and the vancomycin was discontinued. Later it was decided I had a reaction to the antibiotic.
i kept saying - this is not the flu! Oh well. Anyway I was put on a cephalosporin for 3 more weeks. My knee is not swollen or warm!
I get my second stage on the 26 th. I like my new surgeon at Duke and am optimistic.
I was anemic after the spacer placement and for the first time in my life actually sat and watched the birds at my feeder and read. I find I like not feeling like I have to do something all of the time. So something good often comes from adversity if you look hard enough! Hope all of you are well!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Margueritte I'm so sorry about everything you've been through, however your wonderful, can-do attitude is incredibly inspiring. It sounds like you have a great surgeon at Duke. And your dog Emily is adorable. :puppysmooze:
 
@Margueritte You went through a lot. I can relate. I also had an infection and an allergic reaction. I am on the other side. Counting my Blessing s.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I had my new knee placed yesterday ! I have done well and due to the block I have above my knee have not had much pain. As soon as I got to the room I kept thinking I saw Emily's tail as she went by my bed. Good meds!

There wasno sign if infection. I will leave tomorrow - post op day 2.


I was told to take it easy.that will be hard for me so I need some direction.
Any of you have suggestions - I need move exact orders.
Hope you all are well. It's a long course but nothing really bad at any time. This foru has helped
So much!
 
@Margueritte it's great to have positive outlook. Keep your muscles strong. And listen to your body. You know when something is not right. You can do this!
 
Glad you are through this and moving on to recovery now! I'm going to re-post our basic recovery articles for you as it may have been some time since you've reviewed the guidance there. Since they want you to "take things easy," it will be important to do that as much as possible. That means no pushing with activity or exercises. Just gentle bends and stretches a couple of times a day for at least several weeks. Lots of icing and elevation along with rest and taking something for pain on a set schedule through the day and night. And...most importantly...as smile said in her post above....listen to your body!

So....here is that information for you:

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a therapist (PT) - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lie down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles

The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM
 
Thank you for the great advice! I had my new knee placed on Monday at Duke and have had NO pain! Once my spinal was placed they put in a peripheral nerve catheter which was inserted in my anterior thigh and threaded down to my knee. It does not restrict motion. I'm now at home with a pain "ball" that slowly infuses Ropivicaine. It will wear off in about 48 hours. I'm so impressed as I have not had to use much in the way of narcotic meds. I will let everyone know how it is after this but I have avoided pain for at least 5 post op days! I'm unfortunately well experienced with post op pain - and this is incredible! I now just need to follow the great suggestions above and heal!
I'll be glad to try to reassure anyone who is anticipating a two stage procedure.
Better days are on the way - well - maybe after I finish physical therapy.......:)
Thanks for all of the help!
 
It is wonderful to read that, with all that you have been through, that your new knee is in and that you are recovering with very little discomfort!

Please read those articles that Jamie posted for you---they will help you through these days of recovery and get you going to where you should be!

Please keep posting---we want to read of your successes in your recovery!
 
Post op day 4.
Not feeling great this AM. Feel generally out of it, right leg is swollen from knee down - not a lot. In general feel bloated and heavy. Kind of down. I'm sure I did too much yesterday and I'm sure I'm still getting over the anesthesia.
I've put on my TED hose, taken my celebrex and neurontin, and elevated my leg. Will ice today and drink some extra water ( I hate water). Hoping I won't have to start on narcotics - my catheter with the lidocaine like med will be removed at noon. My knee creaks like a screen door when I bend it. Is this normal?
 
@Jamie
Periforal pain catheter removed yesterday and have not had any pain. I don't have a lot of tissue swelling but today woke up with fluid in the joint space-an effusion. I called the on- call resident who told me to keep icing and elevating and call back if it increased or showed signs of infection. My knee creaks when I bend it. At this point everything worries me! I also have a purple swollen ankle - I'm assuming from flipuid collecting from the knee area.
Do others report this often? Thanks
 
The bruising is normal after surgery. So are "creaking" and "clunking" noises as your soft tissues get aligned with the new knee implant. Keep an eye on the effusion and call if it doesn't get resolved.

Can you please modify your signature to put in this latest procedure? It helps not to have to look back to see when your last surgery date was. Keep remembering that you're just a week out from this surgery and your body needs some serious healing time. Don't push yourself...slow and steady.
 
Thanks @Jamie
I think I updated correctly. Let me know if not.
I had the PA check my knee yesterday and she said she thought the effusion would resolve with elevation and ice. She told me to ice it 6 times a day :). I'll certainly try!
I'm getting a little bored watching the birds. I know things will be better. Would also guess it's time for a little post op let down. This has been going on so long I've exhausted many things I might have been interested in.
Oh well! I'm not alone! And in many ways very lucky! Thanks for your help!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom