Revision TKR Infection resolved! New knee 1/26/15. This one is going to be great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Nana moon 27 I chose the smiley because I'm doing ok today- not because I thought it was funny! I'm new to forums! I will never say anything I'd think would offend! Thanks for asking.
I have a fair amount of swelling as I can't sit still. Just read about icing - which I forget and will go do this!
 
I will just post here unless I start a new thread , right?

@Margueritte Here on the recovery side they want us to only have one thread. By "tagging" certain people by putting the @ sign in front of the name, such as the forum nurse and expert of all things medical, Josephine, they will be assured to see your post or question. That way your complete recovery history with issues and successes can be found in one place. (@Josephine @referee54 - I hope I worded that correctly?) You can also certainly post your comments and thoughts in other people's threads as well.
 
Hi @Margueritte I'm really pleased to see you're doing okay. I would not be offended by you pressing the smiley honestly. I know where you're coming from regarding swelling. My knee is aching but I'm okay. Have been on my feet a lot! Xxxx

Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Please do continue to post in your thread! We're always glad to hear from you. Just for information....if you do need a spacer, you will be able to walk with your leg. It won't operate like a normal or TKR knee, but you can get around. This is done in the case of a 2-stage revision. These days a number of surgeons use a 1-stage revision where a spacer is not needed. It all depends on your surgeon and how he evaluates your specific situation. I look forward to hearing the outcome of your new doctor at Duke.
 
Good for your doc for referring you elsewhere.
 
@Margueritte it depends on the type of spacer the surgeon uses how you are able to walk around. Because of my allergies mine avoided an articulating spacer so my leg was always straight and in an immobiliser brace. I could not fully weight bear on my left leg and had to take a lot of my weight on my crutches. I still got around but used a wheelchair for going out and about, but used the crutches in the house. I was still able to go up and down stairs, but limited the number of times I did it in one day.
 
I, too, went through the infection and spacer route. I won't go through my whole journey here. I have just had my revision with my hardware replaced. I have very strong oral and IV meds, because somewhere along the way, I developed a MRSA infection. This has been a frustrating and painful time, and it isn't over yet. All we can really do is go forward. Read the journeys of others on our threads. I sincerely hope you won't go through the worst. The only thing I wish I had paid more attention to is getting my upper body and my non TKR leg stronger--I might have been able to be home between surgeries. Sending well wishes your way. Let us know what happens. We care and we understand what you are going through.
 
Yes, we definitely understand what you are going through, including the hesitation of leaving the doctor you still have so much faith in! My original OS was upfront from the start; a 50/50 chance of infection, but I wasn't living anymore, merely existing!

He recommended Dr. Maale and I still tell people about him! He gave me the boost to get my life back on track; Dr. Maale just finished the cleanup!

It took awhile, but I am out living life, exercising daily, (I have a broken foot right now) so I switched to upper body and swimming!:happydance:

I REFUSED to let the infection win, be ready to give it all you've got! Is it easy? NO!

Is it worth it?

2 5K's another on August 9th
Charity 18 hole golf tournament
Swimming for 10 minutes straight without stopping freestyle, breaststroke, and backstroke
Getting ready for a half marathon in Houston January 18th
Climbing part of a mountain and doing rock climbing
Things that I take for granted that I couldn't do before!
Yoga, Zumba, self defense classes etc.

I think my list says it all! Good luck to you and focus on something you would like to accomplish once all of this is behind you. That way, when depression sets in, you can look at your list and smile. Grit and determination will be needed, but infections can be conquered! I am living proof!:happydance:
 
Hi Margueritte

Sorry to hear that you are concerned that you may have an infection. I had one too, in the hip hemi-arthroplasty which I had in Peru in Jan 2010, after an accident on New Year's Eve 2009. It was many months before anyone started to suspect that I might have an infection, and 18 months before I had a 2-stage revision with spacer.

It is good that your medical team are working so assiduously to come up with answers for you. In my case my team were hampered by the fact that my symptoms and test results were a-typical, and by the time I had the revision the infection had done a lot of damage, meaning that I had to have bone grafts.

Whilst I agree with RestAssured that a positive attitude will help you a great deal, I really feel that if you do turn out to have an infection, the correct medical treatment will be more important. As a runner, you were obviously fit and strong before all these problems started. I was too - admittedly in my rather more low-key way. I've always enjoyed walking, but I'd rather stop along the way and have a look round every now and then.

One thing which helped me significantly was that I was able to make a ground level area of my house into a comfortable little den. (Soon referred to by my husband as "Glynis' pit".) I had my bed, TV, reading matter, computer on the ironing board, and access to a downstairs shower. The butler brought snacks, though I was not exactly demanding in that area, as I had no appetite at all.

I was able to get about for very short distances on crutches (there are different weight-bearing rules for different types of spacer), and in general, if the possibility of an infection becomes reality for you, I would say that you will find ways around problems, and muddle through.

No one wants to have an infection. But instead of thinking: "it'll be absolutely awful", allow yourself to consider for a moment the alternative: "it might not be so bad".

Wishing you all the best.
 
@Margueritte -see how I put the @ sign just in front of your name? That is what caused you to get an email saucing I had replied to your post. You have to use the @ and then spell the name exactly the same as the other person does.

I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles; I hope this new OS straightens things out. Meanwhile let me repeat what the others have said...this is a great place with great people. We are all on your side. Please keep us posted and don't hesitate to rant or complain if you need to. We will stick by you.
 
Went to Duke today for repeat aspiration of joint fluid - 60 ccs. Will be tested for everything. I like the surgeon and told him how anxious all of this has made me. He listened and was reassuring. This whole thing will take a lot longer than I originally thought. I certainly want him to look at everything but will be glad when there is a plan. If nothing shows up in cultures he said he will present my case to 6 other Duke orthopedic surgeons and they will come up with recommendations. I agree with this - but waiting is hard. I usually take out my anxiety with exercise. I've used up most other ideas during recuperation from the past procedures. I'm having bad dreams - everyone in my family is getting tired of this so I try to keep it at a minimum. Glad you are all here!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just realized I had the above extra posts. Thank you! You are a strong group of women and have all been through so much. I need to look for the good things in each day - and there are many. I am sure I will be Ok! :)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
[Bonesmart.org] Infection resolved! New knee 1/26/15. This one is going to be great!
@Margueritte, Duke is an excellent hospital with a great reputation. I feel sure you are in good hands. The waiting---it is SO HARD. Just remember that you are not alone. All your BoneSmartie friends are here to cheer you on, cry with you, listen to you, and love you. You are allowed to whine and moan and rant and rave here. We know where you are coming from and we care.

Take care of yourself and keep us posted.
[Bonesmart.org] Infection resolved! New knee 1/26/15. This one is going to be great!
 
@Margueritte

This isn't the time to think that you need to be strong! Lean on us and we will see you through! I am so glad your OS is being so thorough!

Better to err on the side of caution and waiting, than guessing and regretting!:console2:

Rant, Vent, do whatever you need, we have been in your shoes and we understand!
 
@busylizzie@RestAssured. It has been over 2 weeks since my last set of cultures. This is the 4th set. This time cultures for yeast and TB were included and won't be through until 2-3 more weeks. I know I don't have TB! My allergy testing is negative. My synovial fluid has no crystals so I don't have gout, my synovial WBC count is 27,000 with 90 % neutrophils! my sed rate is just at the lower level to suspect infection at 31 as is my C-reactive protein which is 1.07. I am sure nothing will show up on the cultures. Then what do they do? My WBC count is so high and the neutrophil count is so elevated that infection is still the number one diagnosis. If they operate how will they know what antibiotics to put in? I have asked the surgeon to go ahead and present my case at their high risk conference- as he was planning. I'm trying to stay busy but am anxious over all of this and will be better with a plan. I read that sometimes they scope patients to do direct biopsies. Any thoughts about the next step? With anything medical one wants to be " average" not in the top 1%! Hope you are all doing well.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I can't offer you any advice but I certainly hope you get some answers soon. It sounds like you have a very difficult case to diagnose. I do feel you are in great hands with your group of doctors at Duke! I wish you well and hope things are resolved with your knee soon.
 
@Margueritte,

It sounds like your OS is being very thorough, and I am glad that he is willing to present your case before others! That might bring some different ideas to the table in case your OS misses anything.

The hardest part is the not knowing!:console2:

I know you are frustrated and in pain; keep posting, we will be here for moral support and encouragement!
 
@Margueritte
If there is any way you can find time to contact Dr. Maale regarding your case, he might be able to offer an opinion on what is going on. He's not near you.....in the Dallas, Texas area.....but he does do telephone consultations if you can provide your tests and image results beforehand. He is a real crackerjack with problem knees.
 
@Margueritte
Sometimes they just have to go in and see what they find. If they do find an infection with the cultures, they test that bacteria with different antibiotics until they find one that kills it. Sometimes, they drain the knee and no infection is apparent, but when they open the area, there is pus. The sed rate values and crp are, I'm told, a better indication of inflammation and infection than white cell count (wish I could buy your levels...). Good luck--I am hoping that you get answers soon and that you don't have a long road. Just remember that if you do, we are here for you. You can get through anything --one step at a time.
 
Yes, the SED rates and the CRP markers are one of the best markers to indicate inflammation and infection. Tests might continue after that; some doctors use a high count as a standard.:console2:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom