Revision TKR Infection resolved! New knee 1/26/15. This one is going to be great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pain and swelling in my knee will come and go and is related a lot to activity. Did that happen to you?

No, Margueritte, I didn't have that problem at all as I was told not to do much. I had the Richards splint when I walked and when I sat down, I could take it off - that was pretty much all I was allowed to do.

It was really difficult at night when I had to go to the bathroom :bored:

I'd have to put the wretched thing on half asleep then stomp along to the loo, then stomp back and take the straps off. I was amazed my husband didn't wake up with the noise of the straps coming off the velcro, especially if I had to get up several times at night :sleep:

I don't know if you have the Richards splint in the States so here's a picture of the monster. You can see all the straps there :groan:

[Bonesmart.org] Infection resolved! New knee 1/26/15. This one is going to be great!

Thank you for thinking I'll be dancing soon. I think I'll have to relearn how to walk properly again first :tada:
 
@grannyweasel, snap. I had to wear the same brace 24/7 for 27 weeks when I had my non articulating spacer. Not a very pleasant experience

@Margueritte, only just over three weeks now to your scheduled surgery. I wish you well
 
@busylizzie
had to wear the same brace 24/7 for 27 weeks when I had my non articulating spacer. Not a very pleasant experience
OMG! TWENTY SEVEN WEEKS in that brace? :gaah: You have my condolences, seriously!!! :dubious:

@Margueritte - please don't think the brace will be a horror to wear!! I only found it a nuisance at night when I needed to get to the loo in a hurry :loll:
 
Went for pretesting yesterday. Was told I'd get my pic line the am of surgery but it will only be used for antibiotics. My current concern is that I have very poor Iv access. Last time I was stuck 10 times and the anesthesiologist was considering a central line - at which point I started putting my clothes back on. He got an Iv in with the 10 th try.
It's even hard to draw blood - took several tries yesterday and 1/2 hour. So- I've been told to hydrate a week in advance. Don't think it will help a lot.
I'm calling anesthesia tomorrow to see if they have ideas as well as will check with interventional radiology. Any of you guys have this problem? I just don't want to start out with an ordeal the am of surgery.
I'm getting nervous and have been trying to get ready. Do you recommend a special shower chair and just get one at bed bath and beyond or surgical supply?
Thanks for your help!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@grannyweasel oh no- I've had that brace for a week or so. It is cumbersome to say the least! 27 weeks for you! I'm so sorry. I was hoping for a spiffy light weight number - maybe trimmed in red. Haha as a group we may have to come up with some proposed designs :)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Went for pretesting yesterday. Was told I'd get my pic line the am of surgery but it will only be used for antibiotics. My current concern is that I have very poor Iv access. Last time I was stuck 10 times and the anesthesiologist was considering a central line - at which point I started putting my clothes back on. He got an Iv in with the 10 th try. It's even hard to draw blood - took several tries yesterday and 1/2 hour. So- I've been told to hydrate a week in advance. Don't think it will help a lot.
I'm calling anesthesia tomorrow to see if they have ideas as well as will check with interventional radiology. Any of you guys have this problem?

@Margueritte - I am very sorry to hear about the problems you have getting IV lines put in and blood taken out. Not good :sad:

I didn't have any problems with my PICC line. The doctor came in, got the line, threaded it into me via my left arm and hey presto, all done! Like with you, they just used the PICC line to give me my IV antibiotics, nothing else.

When I was in hospital last time they took all the blood from my right arm, since they couldn't get it from my other arm, and after a couple of weeks, my veins began looking rather sad so the phlebotomist had to try other areas to winkle the blood out! I hope you won't have that problem!

Drink lots of water - if you've been told to hydrate you might as well start right away and keep drinking when in hospital :old: It certainly wouldn't hurt you!

I've always drunk a lot of water/mineral water during the day so I honestly don't know if that made it easier to get my blood or not :shrug:

Do you recommend a special shower chair and just get one at bed bath and beyond or surgical supply?

Yes! I highly recommend a shower chair but, being from Oz, I'm afraid I can't say where you should get one from :sad:
 
Thanks! I guess if they have to give me Iv fluids initially in the preop area they could use the pic line. I hate drinking water but will try really hard for the next several weeks. That's a good idea. Will try some of the flavored carbonated stuff and I like Propel.
They are planning to give me two full strength aspirin daily instead of another anticoagulant. Hadn't heard of that but will be easier i guess. Today will get shower chair. Something spiffy! Haha
 
@Margueritte

Good idea about the flavoured carbonated drinks if you hate drinking water! I hadn't heard of Propel before but when I googled it, it looks like it's flavoured water - is that right? The only downside of drinking more water is having to go to the loo often and, having the brace, can be a nuisance :flabber:

I think you'll probably want to throw the shower chair away after you're done with it so don't spend too much money on it :heehee: I know I'll be glad to get mine out of the shower but I'll need it for a while longer when I get home. Still feel a bit wobbly on my legs :sad:

Two weeks till your operation - are you excited or nervous about it?
 
Margueritte,
I am a little confused. If your cultures came back negative for infection, why do they think you have an infection?
You can have a high SED rate and CRP as well as high white blood cell/neutrophil count from inflammation- so maybe you have something else going on (inflammatory arthritis, gout or pseudogout or something like that possibly?) I am not questioning that you are in pain or anything like that, just wonder why if the tests say no infection why they still think it is one? Have you had a bone scan to see if your implant is loose?
Best of luck.
 
@Margueritte - one other suggestion for water - first, there is herbal tea (peppermint is especially nice if you have any stomach disturbances). I also use these flavored tablets that contain electrolytes. They have a lot of flavors and are sweetened with Stevia leaf extract (I HATE artificial sweeteners, but I love these tablets). They are made by Nuun and you can find them at sporting good stores, health food stores and even online (I buy them on Amazon all the time). My favorite flavor is tangerine ginger. :)

Good luck - hope they find some answers for you soon!
 
Will be having first stage of my surgery at Duke on Monday the 20 th. Surgery is at 1 pm but I have to be there at 10 am for my pic line placement. I bet I'll be home by Thursday. Not looking forward to it and am very anxious. I've tried to set everything up at the house to help. As you can see I'm up at 4 am! Soon will be on my way to getting this knee fixed! I'll try to stay positive - but am a bit scared! Thanks for all of the support. Will be in touch abt the surgery
.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Margueritte hi from the UK. Just read your story . What a roller coaster you have been on! I do hope the surgery this week goes really well. with best wishes.
 
You couldn't be going to a better place, Margueritte. I hope they get to the bottom of this infection, as they have with others, and you can go on about your life.

Please try not to be nervous. (I say that even though my teeth were chattering in the days before my surgery!)
 
@grannyweasel, @ old Texan, @RestAssured @nana Moon for all of the information from you and everyone! Think about me tomorrow at 1 pm! I'll get the pic line first and glad you reassured me about it! Will be in touch soon!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom