Hip Infection Infection, dislocation, revisions, & life beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Sally honey, @Vetgirl - it is almost the end of another week... How are you feeling? Your friends are concerned xx
 
Hi @Vetgirl .Your a brave one, I'm impressed and happy to read about your success. Enjoy life, it is rather awesome and certainly beats the option.I don't post much anymore, most of the names have changed but the stories remain consistent. Yours is especially inspiring, I've been watching, holding my breath, so glad I can exhale.Congratulations Aussie.Peace on earth.
 
:sneaker:So happy to hear things are progressing! You are such a good person, and I'm certain have influenced the lives of so many here, there, and everywhere!
 
@Vetgirl,

I have been thinking about you! I a so glad that you have your happy ending.....

Now..... If you would like to "hop" on a plane inJanuary, @RunA42K and I will be "power walking" a half marathon in Houston TX!:) I am recovering from a broken foot, but I will be ready and I am so excited!

I know, I know, you are probably speechless at the generous offer; I can wait a little while for your yes!:rotfl:
 
Hi everyone.....thought I should pop back for an update. It's been school holidays here and I had my aunty up for a week from Melbourne so it's been busy here.

I saw the Professor last week and he said my bloods are going really good and that they will keep me on the abx until after Christmas and then they will slowly wean me off them. He said by Then this implant will be integrated with my body and that if the infection comes back at least the implant should be safe. Then they would just have to keep draining the infection or something like that. I didn't ask too much....not sure I want to know.

I've been walking around the house without any aids but I still limp. I can feel my knee and butt muscles are sore and weak and so I booked into rehab starting next week. I'm a bit bummed about this. I just want to move on from this all and going back to rehab depresses me a bit...well a lot. I feel like I've done that before....which of course I have. I also don't feel like making more friends and talking about it all If that makes sense....I just want to move on. I could go private but I will have to pay about $40 a session and we don't need the expense to be honest whereas if I do the program at the hospital the health fund pays.

I can start driving again next week....6 weeks. That will be fantastic but I'm a bit nervous about my brain. It gets a bit muddled and I lose concentration easily so I'll just start out slowly. In terms of my leg I'm not worried at all.

I've been doing a bit of cooking, washing, hanging it out (we don't use dryers much here in Oz) bringing it in, and doing little tasks no problems. My DD helped me strip and remake 4 beds the other day and after 4 loads of laundry I was stuffed. I need to pace it better. It does feel both fantastic and overwhelming to get back to everyday tasks. There is just so much to do here after the family just struggling through since December.

I dropped Into work the other day to get some dog food and it was really strange. There have been staff changes (obviously) and I felt really down. It's hard coming to terms with what I've lost because of the infection in terms of my job, money, friends etc.....I suppose at the time I just had to survive but now I'm realising the toll it's had on my family and me personally.

I'm a bit confused about what I want for my life ATM....but I know I'll get there.

Hope you guys are all going well....thanks for your support xxx
 
Dear Sally... So many mixed feelings, I see. Lots of good stuff -- your doctor's report, primarily. Sounds like you're where you should be & the worst case scenario is not as bad as you would've imagined, right? That's great, actually. And I'm awed by your domestic prowess -- changing 4 beds, no less! Walking unassisted? I'd give my eye teeth for that, yessir, but I realize it's all relative, & I understand your concern about the limp & weak muscles. (Btw, I didn't know dryers are not typically used in Oz... Just prefer the freshness of the outdoors? I'm still trying to get my head around 'no dryer'. Don't know what I'd do without it & all its silly cycles!)

Of course you're "bummed" & "just want to move on." It HAS been long enough... You've had enough already & it's all just too, too old. Going back to your former workplace was apparently a real downer -- coming face to face as you did with what you no longer have & all that it represented. But you'll eventually be the 'old you'... You've gotta believe that, especially when you think of where you were a few months ago! I think in terms of baby steps... You can probably think in terms of adolescent steps, cause you've come so far already. You're sick & tired of being sick & tired -- I get it. Boy, do I get it! It'll come, Sally.
 
Hi Sally....so glad you got good news from the Professor.......and then more rehab!! It must feel like Groundhog Day to you!! So understand why you feel down on that score....you changed all those beds with all that soreness you are still getting ...what a trouper. I think that you are still very early days on (only 6 weeks) from your 3rd surgery......you've had to start over again really three times....no wonder you feel down sometimes! Us lesser mortals still get down from just one THR!! Going into work must have been difficult to get your head around .....everything changed so quickly for you. One day you were looking forward to having one THR and getting your life back and here you are on round three.!! Hoping that you continue to improve and can get your life back on track....thinking of you...Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Sally,

It takes time as you and I know better than anyone, but in the end you will be getting back to living again, and with your determination, I have no doubt you will find a new job as soon as you are ready!

((((hugs))) from a fellow conqueror to infection!:happydance:
 
Hi Sally @Vetgirl , I have been thinking about you so thought I would stop by. Sounds like you are doing great. Of course the changes that all the brought about are hard. But in my experience, when life kicks you in the teeth it sometimes means it's time to stop and really look at what you want and the best way forward. Once you are on the other side of all of this, I have a feeling the right opportunity will appear. You are one determined lady my friend!
 
Great to read an update from you, I think about you often. I do understand all the mixed feelings you have and the wanting to move on. It's such a slow process, isn't it? I'm almost 5 months out from my initial surgery for the THR and I'm still not walking without a limp. Yes I've had other complications, but just concentrating on the hip, it's still not totally feeling like it's fine. Time seems to move so slowly when healing. And you have been thru so much, it's just gonna take it's sweet time. But from reading your update, seems you are coming along quite well. All we can really do is take one day, one step at a time. Hope you had a good Saturday, as mine is just beginning.
 
Hi Sally!
I booked into rehab starting next week
I am assuming this is the equivalent of outpatient PT here is the US?

I'm a bit bummed about this. I just want to move on from this all and going back to rehab depresses me a bit...well a lot. I feel like I've done that before....which of course I have. I also don't feel like making more friends and talking about it all If that makes sense.

Try not to be too down about it. We all need the PT after a THR, and it is important for you to get rid of the limp. I never exercise as hard when I am on my own then I do with a trainer. I am a bit lazy left to my own devices. LOL! Try to just think of it as a way to get back in shape. I do understand that going private would be your first choice...but we do what we have to do to get better. Don't share anything if you don't feel like it. No one needs to know your business. Although this is probably easier said then done. People are bound to ask you about your THR. But who knows...it may help you feel better about things. I am just trying to put out a positive spin on it...not discounting anything you are feeling.

I think you, @RestAssured, @glynis, and all those who have experienced the trauma of an infection and come through it are STARS!!!.

Sending lots of love and well wishes your way. <3
 
Thanks for the lovely compliment, Calikat. They are always welcome...

However, I don't know if the others would agree with me, but I really feel that talk of "bravery" is a bit misplaced.

All I did was turn up on time for my appointments, try to understand what people were telling me (granted, that one was a bit tricky), bare my arms for an endless succession of needles, and take my tablets.

The way I see it: what alternative did I have?

I wish the accident had never happened. That's a given. But once it had, I was completely in other people's hands. Much credit goes to my husband Graham: and it was also lucky that we had recently moved to this house, where there is an area on ground level which I could make my base. It wasn't long before Graham was calling that area "Glynis' pit". (He has such a charming turn of phrase.)

All the best for your continuing search for answers to your own problems.
 
@Calicat,

Thank you so much for the kind words! They came at just the right time yesterday!

My husband decided to tell me that people had asked him if I "just liked being 'sick' for sympathy!" Oh well, those people are speed bumps in the road of life, and my foot is on the gas pedal!:cool:

So, I choose to fight on my own and just keep plugging away! I have beaten MRSA, 3 leg surgeries on the right leg, a knee replacement on the left leg, and I will win the battle with this foot.

I don't rely on my husband to help me; I know I can make it through no matter what!:loveshwr:

I have walked in 2 5K's, played 18 holes of golf for charity, will walk another 5K in August, and then a 1/2 marathon in January!:yes!:

Life is great and I am now living the "best of my life" instead of the "rest of my life!"

@Vetgirl, one of these days the motto above will make perfect sense to you also! I will continue to keep you in my prayers!
 
Hi @glynis I do understand where you are coming from about the bravery comments...but I think it also a matter of how or how not one handles the curve balls they are thrown in life.
 
just wanted to say hi sally @Vetgirl. sometimes so much comes at a person at once. what a long, hard road you've been down. and it's still stretching out in front of you. well, as someone said, that beats the alternative. hope you get stronger and feel better and eventually, leave your old workplace in the dust. (if that sounds good. :). devorah
 
Hi Sally @Vetgirl Just wondering how things are going for you? Hoping that you are busy with getting on with your life....Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom