Hip Infection Infection, dislocation, revisions, & life beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your courage to push through what you been through is awesome. I can't even imagine to understand what you been through and dealing with. Your very strong and I pray all goes well for your June surgery. I had my right hip replaced in January of this year and all went well. I just had my left hip replaced on the 30th of April two weeks ago. I am praying and hoping for a smooth recovery like the first one. I understand that you must first take care of you. Just know that it is gonna get better my friend in Jesus name amen .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
 
Aww Sally, you don't have to be strong anymore! Just be YOU.
We are all here for ourselves first and foremost.
But, by sharing our story and our feelings with others here, we help others along the way.
Count me as one of your big fans and supporters. I hope in a small way I can help others as I go thru
my own journey here to recovery.
:friends:
 
Oh Sally, there are no words. I just wanted you to know I am thinking about you and hoping that the next part of your journey goes as smoothly as possible for you. Stay strong ❤️ Jackie
 
Thanks everyone for your comments

It is true that it will be better and I will get my life back but I appreciate you not saying that and just appreciating where I'm coming from. Sometimes it is just nice to get our feelings validated isn't it?I have been sent on this journey for a reason and I know I will get through it and I do want to learn something from it. But I haven't appreciated people just trivialising it either..I'm learning a lot from that. I'm talking more about real life people and not the BS community, who usually 'get it'!!!!

@sunsetbiking @calikat @Butterfly @Poppet and others you have all been there with me so long and I appreciate it. Such lovely words sunset.

I know that I will definitely treat others that are ill or incapacitated very differently in the future. I won't promise coffee, dinner or to keep in touch and not do it. That hurts more than not offering at all. I won't ask a question if I don't want the answer and I won't use them as a dumping board for my issues just because they are always there or around. All this has been done to me. Friendship is 2 way street and maybe I need to offer others what I needed in the future? This is my learning curve. I have always tried to be there for my friends but it is interesting and sad to find that some are just takers and to realise that I'm not actually getting anything from the relationship anymore. That's not a nice place to be, I'm not usually in the business of shedding friends

One friendship has really hurt me. I've been there for her for years and dropped things i have been doing to help her, listen to her or to entertain her to distract or help with her issues. I thought it was reciprocated, but then I never really needed people like I have now. I have realised that she still throughout all of this has only really made contact when it suited her or she needed me with no regard to me or my needs. It's been 8 months and I have been in and out of hospital in total over 1 month. She never visited, and only rang when she needed an ear. I'm not so selfish as to expect everyone to visit and at many times haven't even been up to it but you know how much a text means???

Many good friends have just sent a text saying three words and that is so thoughtful. we are all consumed in our lives, but those 3 words mean so much don't they? This friend who has hurt me so much, just calls when she needs an ear without thinking that I don't even have the energy for hours to listen to her. She asked me out because she needed someone to talk to last week and I said NO I wasn't up to it. Please.....she says, i need someone to talk to. Well back and forth it went....she was coming anyway to cheer me up and sit with me for hours doing her work, she says. When i refused etc it kept going that she was coming no matter what!!!! I ended up nearly telling her everything about how i felt but then finally asked her to respect what I NEEDED and she backed off. The demanding she was coming no matter what was even worse because I felt trapped like an animal....I can't go where I want, I would be here stuck if she turned up regardless of my wishes. I was really really agitated.

Many of your needs get brushed away when you are immobile. Many treat you like your brain has gone too. When being pushed in a wheelchair, you are at the mercy of the 'pusher'. Bill and I have had a laugh about the things I got wheeled into and yesterday we were both parked somewhere waiting. I won.....mine was outside the men's toilets in a park!!!!! Yuk. He got rolled into something too!!! lol

I can't even walk from a room without everyone checking me (nice for the concern...stifling after a while). It's so claustrophobic and lonely at the same time. Last Sunday after niggling back and forth for us all, in the family while we were out and about, I asked to just sit out the front of the house and reflect and be left in peace. No one could because they were worried about me but I just wanted the independence to sit, cry and reflect on my mother as i cant go anywhere without anyone to take me. They couldn't leave me because I was down a flight of stairs, Outside and can't get around. Do you see the opposing problems?

The family is tired from doing their own duties and then attending to me. Everything is hard to do by yourself. Everything is tiring for them. Relationships become about my needs and their tiredness. The family misses the old me and I miss giving them what they need from me. I MISS me. I get frustrated because i need things like a certain top, something i cant get to, clean sheets or towels. if i ask too many times then I'm annoying and a nagger and they forget because they have so much on. if I don't ask i miss out and feel frustrated. And we all hope that this bug really does go away. We all talk about after the hip is removed, after the hip is in, after I'm off ABX. But in the back of all of our minds we were playing this game prior to my initial surgery and so there is always that black cloud over everyone's heads.

I love Bonesmart.....but it is so hard to keep up with everyone and I'm amazed at those who can. I feel guilty at not keeping up with those who have been so supportive, and sad when I'm being strong and not getting support and so I need to think on that too.....I sound like a bit of a mess don't I????

Sorry for ranting but it DOES Feel better.....maybe not for you all though. Lol
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Sally. I wish I could give you a big hug. I don't really know what to say except that I think of you often. I wish I did not live so far away. Vent here as much as you need to. <3
 
Oh boy, Sally -- I identified with so much of what you wrote that I had not only never verbalized, but really never quite conceptualized... Like being the "pushee" in a wheelchair & how dependent you are... how you can be "parked" & unwittingly left with no recourse & no choices. Or needing that item & being reluctant to ask for "one more thing!" Or, as good a husband as he is, he doesn't put your "stuff" away like you do... or where you do... or hang/fold it like you do & you're hesitant about making one more request or sounding critical when he/they already do so much. I know -- been there, done that, in some ways still doing that. It's so frustrating.

I hear you. I'm hoping that with time things will vastly improve & that you will find the real Sally again -- although I don't think you ever really lost her; you've accommodated as necessary to very frustrating, painful, depressingly draining circumstances that would be intensely trying to anyone. Your anger is justified. Your staying in your cave & isolating is understandable... I did the same thing during my darkest days. Just wanted you to know I care & will always listen. ❤❤❤
 
My heart goes out to you. You are an incredible writer Sally.
 
Sally, I don't even know what to say. It is so horrible you are having to go through this. It isn't fair. I know what you mean when you say you don't feel strong. People always used to tell me how strong I was after my daughter died, but I wasn't strong! I was a total mess. I was just surviving, getting through the day the best I could. And maybe that IS how we are strong. We survive to see another day and hope it will be better, even when we have no hope. I think about you and your difficult journey and it just sucks. You are in my prayers. Please stay here with us. We really do care about the difficulties you are enduring. :prayer:
 
Well Sally this is the first time I have read your thread. What am honest clear headed woman you are! Thank you so much for enlightening us on the dependent one. I as a nurse try to mother to much. I am on the other side of the coin right now and understand your thoughts, particularly about so called friends. Keep strong, there is an end in sight. Best of Irish Luck to you!:D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
 
Dear Sally @Vetgirl you really do have such an exquisite gift of words. Being strong is what is expected of us and what we are conditioned to expect for ourselves. The reality is we can only bite off one bit of each day and get thru it, however we can. Some days/moments it feels impossibly hard to do, other days we seem to be able to navigate the seas to get thru the moment. It's hard, it's just all hard. Know you are loved and cared about here over many continents, time zones, cultures and experiences. You do and feel what takes care of YOU BEST! Love, hugs, and best thoughts to you always!

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
Thank you for expressing all of that, Sally. You've said things I've thought. I'm sorry you've had such a hard, hard, hard time. It's not fair. It's given you wisdom and compassion, obviously, but it's come at such a high price. I wish you well. You surely deserve some good health and good fortune now.
 
Sally, I so understand what you are saying. I too lost so many friends that I thought were going to be life long friends. My jouney stated when I found out I had cancer. They were there for me at all times so whey were't they be there for me now. As the first knee was done I notice some unhappy but didn't think about it much. they when I had my hip done, they disapearred. I found that many nights I spent crying because I just wanted to hear Hi. I thought I would give you a call just to say Hi. Then it got worse. Now that both hips are done and both knees are done and cancer clean I found that not friend is there to celebrate the wonderful success. I am also cancer clean and no one to celebrate with. You notice that I will not cabilize the c in cancer because I will not give the power for that disease. I also wondered at times why do I have to have this jounery. Its been since 2006 when I started this jouney. The one thing I have learned is that the people here are honest, kind and most of all care. The people out there are in their world thinking that not being able to go dancing this week is horrible when we cann't even dance yet. For my friends that I have made here I feel are true friends that if they could they would stay up with you on nights that you are having trouble sleeping or wondering if everything is ok. They listen. When I talk to my friends that I made here we laugh, cry, and talk from our heart and the friendship is so important that it will be for life. Even though I know there is distance between us here at the sight, I know that it is a real friendship. So do feel the loss and disappointment for they have lost a very good person that they closed the door on. Take the friendship here and treasure them for the are the real friendship that all of us seek. People that really care. Take care and know that when you come here, we are here to listen, laugh and do really care what is going on in your world. Take care my friend and get better. We are all here to be around you so your jouney can be easier. Tashia
 
Sally @Vetgirl..... Thinking of you. What a profound and moving post of how the world and people react around disability and illness ..... You are right to feel the way you do....and I'm so sad that you are having to deal with all this...you are so right that people ask how you are.... They really don't want to know if the answer is negative..... It's only true friends that take notice and really help.....
Hoping that on 4th June your life starts to pick up and you can get on with recovery and getting your life back....you have been through so much..... Too much. However, it's not platitudes you need but a great result from your next surgery and with all my heart I wish that for you...Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
That was beautiful @tashia and so right. There are wonderful friends that I have made here in the short time I have been here; people who understand, who don't sugar coat things, who are here for YOU and have no ulterior motives. I truly feel they will be life long friends... thankyou again
 
@Vetgirl It took me a few days to get through your entire thread. All I can say is WOW! What an amazing women you are! You have handled this entire situation with such grace. I truly admire you. I do understand what you are saying about so called friends. I am getting a lot of that myself. It also sucks to be so dependent on people when you were so independent before all this started. I am wishing nothing but the best for your surgery on June 4th. Thinking of you.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
How are you today. I think of you so often and always send some positive thoughts and deep down I know it will be ok. I know its ruff to have it so long but you will make it. Tashia
 
@Vetgirl. I read an article today about trauma. What you've been through has been traumatic and, as a result, you will never be the same. But that doesn't have to be a negative! When you're ready, don't be afraid to let yourself grieve for all you have lost. Hopes, dreams, expectations are all legitimate, and need time to be let go of. There will be a new "normal" one day - you will create that as you see fit, one day at a time. Allowing yourself to be honest with yourself and others (as you're doing) about your anger, your disappointment, and your feelings of betrayal - and then letting them go - will help you create a new vision for your future that includes and incorporates those people and those things that have been beneficial to you, and supportive of you, throughout this ordeal. I'm sure it is hard to conceive of now, but one day this will be a distant memory and you will be enjoying a brand new day - the new "normal" of your life. And it CAN be awesome!

I pray that God guides the hands of the surgeon, enlightens his eye and sharpens his perception to any hint of trouble, and protects you from harm. I will pray this for you from now until you're on the other side again. Blessings.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Vetgirl I just wanted you to know that my thoughts and prayers are coming your way. You have been through so much..Try to hang in there..from all these wonderful comments, what wonderful friends :friends:you have made and that means lots of support....all my best..Sue :) :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom