Hip Infection Infection, dislocation, revisions, & life beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that's alot of information to digest. And as, another who is fighting infection from THR, it both scares me and reminds me how serious and dangerous ANY surgery can be. Sally I so hope you can fight and beat this beast and get back to some kind of quality of life as soon as possible. Seems you have been dealing with this way too long. You have so much more patience then I do, as well as a better positive attitude. I really struggle with both, and am trying to learn from your example.
 
Thanks @dianehelen ...it is a lot to go through as you well know and I'm not always positive but I always try to remember that there is always someone out there worse off then me. Like I don't have cancer!!!

It is really scary and I try not to dwell on it as then I think you would become a crazy person. Honestly, imagine being a Professor of microbiology.....the things he knows and sees....you'd never go out again!!!!:scary::scary:

Thanks for your kind words....I try to give back to this forum as they have supported me so much...that helps me!!!!

Talk soon
 
Funny (in a sarcastic way) that you mention you don't have cancer. That's what I battled all last year. So this was supposed to be my good year. ha! I went thru surgery, chemo, and radiation for breast cancer, and I never imagined I'd say these words, but at this point, what I'm going thru now with this, is actually worse than my cancer experience. I hope I can take this thought back at some point, but that's how it feels to me now

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
Oh I totally forgot you had had cancer!!! I'm sorry if I offended you. That's just my thing that helps me. The fact that this experience is worse than your cancer treatment really sums up how crummy this experience is, doesn't it?????

I know what you mean about this should have been your year!!!! I feel a bit robbed too...and really try not to think about next year being my year....yet!!!! I'm just trying to take one day at a time

One of my worst times was when I got sick after being back at work for 1 day and only 3 hours. That night I came home and my leg was sore and the pimple lump had appeared on my leg. That is when I started this thread. The next day i got fluey and then ended up in hospital with pneumonia and this hip infection. I was sick so missed out on work, Christmas parties, kids school and after school concerts, all the end of year catch ups, my nieces 21 st dinner and party etc...it ruined Christmas and our holiday all the things that were my goals for after this surgery!!! :bawl::bawl::bawl: I felt sorry for myself and thought everyone else should too!!!!

So you must feel very much the same. I hope you are getting lots of love, support and friendship as well as practical help from your family, friends and this forum. It does help :flwrysmile:

Have a whinge anytime....someone hear will be able to relate and understand and it will save your marriage too :snork:
 
Oh no, not offended at all ;-), just adding in my perspective relating to cancer. My husband has been wonderful, but this week be had to go back to work, and he works nights, so it's a hard adjustment,, but I just have to deal with it.I guess my biggest issue is living I constant pain. I try to take a midday nap to get rid of a couple hours each day. But each new,day is another one to make it thru..I suppose you are one of a select few here who can realy realate..What day/time is it now where you are? It's Saturday 9:30pm for me :-)

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
Diane @dianehelen it's 11.30 am here....we are just about to go for a roll (wheelchair) down the beach and get something to eat!!! My outing for the weekend!!!!

Yes it's hard when hubby is at work....my kids are back at school tomorrow so I'll be back to by myself again. My hubby had been amazing too....he started a new job at the beginning of February, looks after me and the kids, cooks and has been washing, ironing etc!!!! I feel so guilty. But he feels bad for me too!!!!

Make sure you have enough pain meds on board....pain really wears you down!!
 
Nice :-). Have a lovely roll. I have plenty of pain med, but too much of that causes other issues, so I try to moderate. HAVE a nice Sunday, talk soon

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
Yes Debbie @Dmcfad2 mine is what is classed as a late onset infection where as Diane's @dianehelen would be classed as an early infection.

From what I've been told the early infections are usually easier to cure because they are usually at the surface of the op site, whereas late onset infections are usually deeper and near the joint. Not always but as a general rule.

My recovery was unremarkable except I was super super tired. At about 3-4 weeks I had a scab on my incision that was like a stitch irritation. It was barely noticeable but irritated me from time to time. I didn't even tell the surgeon about it. At the 6 wk check up I complained of being tired which is so very normal.

The day I returned to work I came home and my leg was sore around the incision. I thought it was from going back to work but I felt the annoying bit and it was raised. I couldn't see it, so the kids took a picture for me and then later pus came out. The next day it was hot and i got worried, so I posted this thread. I went to the Dr and then my journey started.

On the day it was hot I started feeling flu like symptoms headaches, aches and pains, sore neck, temperature...2 weeks later I was in hospital with pneumonia and then they diagnosed by MRI that there was a deep pocket of fluid tracking to that tiny bump. I was in Hospital for a week. That bump was the only thing that ever showed on my incision, ever.

The Dr was very surprised it happened as he felt my recovery had been textbook. However, now we look back....I think I was way more tired than others in rehab and even here. Even after this surgery I'm not as tired as the drain I felt at times after the first surgery....I get close but can feel the difference.

Since then I have been tried on heaps of ABX, and had a low grade temp for months even on ABX, which had finally gone now that the implant and infected tissue have gone. There are so many other little things to the story but that's the main bits. It's very rare and only happens to 2% of people. Dr says there is no way to know how it happened, like Jo, but both think it would have had to have happened in surgery or the hospital as it was very deep and at the joint.

I often wonder if I have any recourse to the hospital and if they will even report it in their statistics. They have never said anything about it and that really annoys me. My surgeon has been unbelievable....I had his mobile no straight away...he gave it to the GP to give to me. I have contacted him on weekends and holidays overseas.....no problem to him.

He has ensured that I am not out of pocket for the surgery excesses...including from the Aneathesist and his assistant and that is for the 3 additional surgeries. He actually said to me as I was being discharged from hospital with the pneumonia days before Christmas that he was very sorry that this had happened to me especially as I concerned about infection rates etc. he told me it is duty of care as a surgeon to make sure this is fixed. No passing it off.

I often say .....you really find out how good your surgeon is when you have a problem. So many times I have heard on here people say the OS dismissed their pain complaints and then another surgeon finds a problem. My surgeon has been great, is considered the 'Hip' man and very well respected. He is as upset as me about this. The hospital staff and even staff from other hospitals are surprised. Some may think I should change OS but I feel comfortable with his team....maybe not the hospital????

There is a picture of the tiny lump on page 1 of this thread. One last thing I want to say is how lucky we are to have this site and especially Josephine and her experience and willingness to answer our questions. She actually said she thought it looked like I would need a revision just rom looking at that bump. Still months later I am gob smacked that she picked it from that tiny bump. When I asked her how, she replied that unfortunately she had seen it too many times before. She even emailed my personal address to make sure I was going to the Dr that day. In an age where people are too scared to give their opinion because of litigation we are so lucky to have her :yay:

Well that's about it. Feel free to ask anything else.
 
Boy Sally, when I read(re-read) your story I just cringe and try to grasp the enormity, at least to date , of how lucky (and I never really feel that anything lucky ha been in my cycle of events with this), I was that my intitial incision was draining and a bit red at the the 3 week mark. My OS immediately did not like the looks is it, and after no significant change after 5 days of a general antibiotic, sent me back to the hospital, did a deep aspiration into the joint pocket and found it clear of fluid or infection. But then after reopening the incision, had to do the deep washout for a large pocket of infection deep into the tissue, but not connecting to the joint. I really hate getting such a setback, and this damn wound vac, but, wow, if the new hip had to come out as well, I don't think I could handle it half as well as you are. You are so young to be going thru this, and the days that I sit and cry about my miserable cards I have been dealt, I try to think of you, and remember that I'm old and out of shape and have lived almost 64 years before being in this'mess, my kid is an an adult and out of the house, while you are young, have kids at home and are dealing with so much more. You are a remarkable woman and a true inspiration to me and so many others in here. I have always wanted to visit Australia, and a loooong term dream would be to do that, meet you, and us both dance together on happy, healed, infection free hips! You are probably about ready for bed, as my day is just starting. SWEET DREAMS my strong, brave friend

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
Thank you so much for re-writing you story here for me to read. I had picked up bits and pieces through some different posts, but had not gone back and read this entire thread. Sally, I just want to echo what @dianehelen had to say. What an ordeal to go through and I am so happy you are on the road to recovery now. :yay: It sounds like you have a wonderful surgeon who deeply cares about you. It's just bum luck of the draw that this happened! I also want to agree that Josephine is SO wonderful. I often tell her that I think I love her! :roseshwr: LOL!
She has alleviated several of my fears throughout my recovery; she has so much knowledge; I love her humor and she seems to genuinely care for all of us who post here. I learned WAY more on this site about recovering from hip replacement than I ever did from my pre-op class, surgical team or home health follow-up!

I love Australia. We have been there twice on cruises. We spent several days in Sydney. What a vibrant, beautiful city. I love Queensland especially. And the people are so friendly. Where do you live? I have been all around the coast and visited most of the bigger cities. Have you ever been to the US?

By the way, isn't there a place where hospitals have to report their infection rates? It seems that should be required. I saw a website once that reported the infection rates of different hospitals and gave them a rating. I don't know where they got their information, but if was interesting.

Have a good night's sleep and a beautiful day! I saw your picture in your thread and you are lovely!
 
@Vetgirl Sally, as I've said before, I continue to be inspired by your courage in the face of all you've gone through. You're such a strong woman -- I doubt I would have handled this with the grace you have shown.

And as to Josephine, she was so instrumental in getting me to the point where I could face the surgeries and go through with them! She is absolutely wonderful, and so patient, and such a blessing for all of us.

I hope your roll on the beach was nice. I live in the desert, and a return to see the ocean again is on top of my "bucket list." I wonder if it would be hard to walk in the sand with my new hips. I dream of finding a nice quiet place to go where I could just sit and look out at the ocean. I don't even know if that's possible any more. Back in my 20s (in the 1060s) when we were stationed back east, there was a wonderful little place in Delaware we went to a lot. Almost no one else went there, and there were no crowds or anything. Many times we were the only ones there. It was delightful to just sit there, watch the waves and feel the wind. I wonder if there are such places any more or if they have all become crowded and commercialized. Maybe next year! I'd want to go in an off season when it isn't so hot -- my fair skin does not do well in the sun. Once when I was young and dumb I actually got what they called "sun poisoning" and was quite sick, so I have to put on tons of sunscreen and a big hat if I'm going to be in the sun much. Oh, well.

Sally, what does a gridlestone procedure mean? I so hope you do well and can get rid of that nasty infection. I would be so worn down by now if I were you. You really are very strong.

Anyway, love to you and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, my friend.

Love,
Milli

PS: My dear old Emily (big black lab crossed with probably a husky), who is about 12 or so, has just been diagnosed with a kidney problem that will probably prove fatal. They had done a lot of tests and are concerned that her protein/creatinine ratio is awful and she is losing a lot of protein. My vet (whom I have been seeing for 20+ years and I do trust her) is prescribing some meds and a change of diet to try to slow the progression of the disease. You know, you know whenever you adopt a dog that this day will come, but it is so hard to deal with when it does. :sad::sad:
 
Thank you @Dmcfad2 for your response. It is SO hard -- I always grieve so when it happens. I'm hoping the dietary changes and new meds will buy her some more happy life time. My vet says she (Emily) isn't in pain or feeling bad, though her appetite has declined -- they picked up the kidney problem on a routine blood and urine screening they do for senior dogs. So we do have some time to see if we can stop the progress. She is an old girl, though, especially for such a big dog -- I so wish dogs lived longer.
 
Hi @Butterfly I'm so sorry to hear about Emily. I know how much she means to you like Oscar means to me.

I hope you forgive me for my delayed reply I've had a challenging week.

The sad thing about kidney disease is that by the time the symptoms show in the animal the damage is done to the kidneys. We always recommend blood tests as the dog gets older to screen for these kind of diseases.

The good news for Emily is that the diet and medication can really really help prolong the disease. I know some animals who have lasted more than 2 years or more on diet and medication changes. Depending on how advanced the disease is of course.

I wish our animals could be with us forever too. I have had a few good crys hugging Oscar this week

Thanks for your support and I really hope Emily will be with you for many years to come

((((hugs))))
 
Last edited by a moderator:
How are you doing Sally? I read you had a challenging week, and you have been in my thoughts. I had a challenging few days myself. This whole deal just gets old doesn't it? Hope you are winning the challenge at this point. Must be near lunchtime Sunday in your part of the world. Have a lovely Sunday :-),

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
Thanks @dianehelen no challenges not over....it's tiring being unwell and you become invisible don't you?

Sorry to hear you had a bad few days. Hope it gets better

My good news is my bloods are back to normal and new hip goes in on June 4 th but that in itself is bringing a new set of challenges

Take care
 
Well Sally that IS good news about your bloods and the new hip and you know we're all here to help you through your new challenges!

I have a new avatar which I think sums it all up to a tee. Well it does for me :)

@dianehelen I hope you're getting on top of things as well!
 
hi sally @Vetgirl . interesting what you say about being invisible. gotta think about that and try not to let that happen to people in my life that aren't well. I hope you're feeling better and the time is getting closer when this will all be a memory of challenges overcome. hang in there. devorah
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom