Hip Infection Infection, dislocation, revisions, & life beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Vetgirl You got a date for a new hip, June 4th. That is good news in conjunction with your results showing
your blood is good. :yes!:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Infection, dislocation, revisions, & life beyond
on June 4. I surely hope this is the beginning of the end for you.
 
Sally, so glad you have a date to get your new hip. Prayers for healing!!
 
@Vetgirl Sally, I'll be thinking of you on June 4th and pulling for a successful outcome along with all the rest of us. What you have endured and still have to endure reminds me how fortunate most of us are. I've been "lurking" on this thread for awhile now. I admire your strength and courage. We never know how we will deal with adversity until it comes. I believe with the skill of your excellent doctors and your determination to keep fighting, you will beat this infection.
 
@Vetgirl Sally, you sure are right about the "invisible" thing. I've noticed that as I have gotten older, and certainly when I was incapacitated. My in-home PT lady even talked over my head to my DIL, as though I wasn't even there -- asking her things like did I understand my medication schedule, etc. and was I able to read my prescription bottles. Well, I might be invisible, but I am NOT inaudible, and I pointed out to the PT that I WAS in the room, and I was not incompetent, and it was insulting for her to be talking as if I were a cabbage or not even there, and that she should direct her comments and instructions to ME. She looked positively shocked, as if a cabbage had indeed spoken up. As soon as she left, I called and requested a different PT person, one who would act like I was alive and in the room!

I am so glad you've got your date for your new hip, and that your bloods are good. NOW you are seeing that proverbial light at the end of the tunnel ! I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers for healing --- you certainly deserve some GOOD news after all you've been through!

Emily's appetite has picked up a little (she likes the new food) and she has been acting quite normally. Hope we caught it in time so she can have some good months or years left. The problem was caught on a routine senior blood panel when I took her in for her checkup. The vet says it can't be cured, but the progression can be slowed dramatically, which is what I'm hoping for.

Love to you

Milli
 
@Vetgirl Sally, so glad to hear you have a date for the new hip. I might not get on here much, but you are always in my thoughts.
I saw the surgeon today for my knee, cause I'm still having issues with my LTKR. I got on to head over to the knee replacement forum to see if I can get some questions answered and stopped by to check on my hippy buddy and to see how are you are doing.
Sorry you had a bad week, I hope things get better for you soon.
 
@Vetgirl Sally, I got so wrapped up in preparing for and having my surgery that I'd not kept up well with those I'd connected with...I so pleased to hear your blood work has improved and you have a date to get rid of that temporary hip. I am sure it presents new challenges/difficulties for you, but it is great that you know when that next step is. I truly wish the very-very best for you.
We went to church this morning, and thought about you and @dianehelen and hoped I'd hear some good news from you all soon. You will continue to be in my thoughts.
Peace.
 
Thanks for your kind thoughts @Dieter. Surgery #3 tomorrow, for dead tissue clean up on the wound, and hip joint needle aspiration to make sure still no infection in the joint. I'm very anxious, but have to hope the day goes fast and with good outcome. @Vetgirl, Sally, counting down for your new hip, May it be super successful, you are due for some good news.
 
@Vetgirl Hi Sally I haven't been on this site for a while so just catching up.I am delighted that you get your new hip on 4th June and that your blood results are good.Sending you all the luck in the world for the surgery.I will be following your progress with interest and holding you in my prayers.
 
All the best Sally -- only just over 3 weeks away to your new, new hip :happydance: Or is it you're new, new, new hip :heehee:

Hope you and all the other mothers out there in this wonderful family had or are having a sensational Mothers Day :loveshwr:
 
@Vetgirl what was the time timeframe from the removal of youour infected hip, and getting the spacer, then getting your date for the new hip? Seems like it was a very long time. :-( this is what I may be facing,, very sadly. How are you able to do everyday things like go to the bathroom,, not being able to bear weight on the bad leg? I'm so scared
 
A vetgirl praying that the Lord guide you through the entire procedure as well as the surgeon. That you have a full fast recovery without any bumps in the road. I pray in the Name of Jesus Christ.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
 
Hi everyone...thanks for your messages. I have been in a bad place and to be honest I just felt that I wasn't getting what I needed by posting here. So I decided to take a step back and retreat to my cave.....it's been dark and miserable....and a lot of anguish, fears and frustrations have come out in the form of tears and eventually anger.

I feel really bad that I haven't been there to support many of my friends going through their early recovery days and of course those who are facing bigger demons in the form of setbacks....but there does come a time when you have to put yourself first and take care of you before you can help others.....just like using the oxygen on a plane before giving it to others. If you are dead from lack of oxygen how can you help those around you????

I felt pressure to always be strong as so many of you have been very flattering in your praise and I truly feel unworthy. I also felt I couldn't complain and as I was struggling I missed my messages of support and so retreated feeling even more sad and lonely.

Anger has finally kicked in too. We have contacted the hospital to see what they are going to do to ensure it doesn't happen again and I wanted an appt too discuss the issues but when they rang my husband they had a good talk and I'm on the radar. He raised points like...why was I initially put in a double room for my hip removal and of course precautions for the next surgery. They were very empathetic. He knew my mum. He took over from her whether left due to cancer. He acknowledged how hard and unfair it was to me. But it was said to Wayne...not me

I really wanted someone to acknowledge that I had lost my job, my independence, thousands of dollars in income, family events etc......that's all.

When out one day at a school event, I decided to try being more honest with people about how I was struggling with the endless days, pain and boredom. And so when asked by many I said I was ok but i wasn't going to lie...it has been tough. One lady said......but at least it's nearly over!!!! So true....but it really isn't and with that comment she just wiped away flippantly my struggles. It's true many ask the question but don't want the answer.

I'm still being positive but in terms of 'it's nearly over' I realised that yes it may be but I'm back to square one, with more unknowns and concerns for my surgery. For it to be over I have to have another surgery....my THR again. But this time I will be recovering from 2 major surgeries, a minor one, etc....I am scared that the bug may come back, blah blah blah

It can be summed up like this......before I have my THR in June this is what I have been through for it to be nearly over....and why I'm over it all.

3 surgeries
Over 1 month in hospital
728 ABX tablets swallowed
Countless more pain meds swallowed
Over 70 bloods tests
15 IV's
1 stay in ICU
2 blood transfusions
3 months of sitting in a shower
4 1/2 months on crutches
Endless days of pain
Mind numbingly days of boredom
Thousands of $$$$
Missed family events, 21sts, concerts and outings
1 lost job and income
10kg of weight :(
Countless broken promises
A few good friends
A fantastic and unbelievable husband
Some really great friends on BS

And more......but I have changed and it does scare me and I'm not sure what I want for my future. I know that I will be putting my energy into the people who really count and looking out a lot more for me, and venturing into new friendships and hobbies

A special thanks to my good friend Bill @fulafoto who reached out whenever he didn't hear from me for a few days...you are a great friend.

Thanks to everyone for checking in....and for caring
 
I have changed and it does scare me and I'm not sure what I want for my future. I know that I will be putting my energy into the people who really count and looking out a lot more for me, and venturing into new friendships and hobbies
I'm glad you are going to think about yourself, Sally I am so sorry you have to go through all this and after reading your post, I can feel your pain and disappointment in your voice.

It is perfectly normal for you to have such anger, you were dealt the wrong hand of cards. No one will ever know how hard this whole ordeal has been except for you. The only part that I can relate too is losing your job, I too lost my job because I chose to have another joint replaced. I don't want to say that stupid saying, "everything happens for a reason" I wish that was true and why do we have to go through bad stuff to find our what the reason is for everything? I agree with you this is not almost over, you are starting the whole process again and you can not see the light at the end of the tunnel. I wish I could tell you I have a magic ball and I can see that everything is going to be great this time around.

You have a wonderful talent how you can express yourself in words. Maybe you can put your energy into writing a book. You have a great knack for writing. Maybe that could be your next chapter of your life.

I really wish I could give you the biggest hug and take away the last 8 months of this horrible ordeal for you!

Have Wayne give you a big hug from all us, we are always here for you! The good, the bad and angry moods as well!!

Lisa
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom