Hip Infection Infection, dislocation, revisions, & life beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Vetgirl

I thought you might be interested in this serendipitous little event...

I am just back from a wildlife cruise round Papua New Guinea. There are only 100 passengers on the ship we go on, and they give you a passenger list, to help people get to know each other. I had noticed that one name had the title Professor. I found myself sitting next to this gentleman, and asked about his work. He said: "I'm a professor of bio-chemistry, and I have a special interest in infections which attack artificial body parts."

Strewth! (As I believe you say over there.) Couldn't believe my luck. We were interrupted at that moment, but I went away so excited, and already compiling an extensive list of questions, divided into topics, and then into specific sub-sections. Then I calmed down a bit, and realised that he had paid a lot of money to come on this trip to look for exotic birds of paradise: not for a neurotic, hysterical woman to harangue and harass him with her iodiotic questions.

I did tell him a little of my story, and he seemed interested (yes, I know, probably just being polite).

I have always wondered how I got the infection in the first place, and he reckoned it would almost certainly have been at the time of the first operation, or within a week or so of that, through the incision. He was as puzzled as I am as to why I had so few symptoms, despite the infection being so virulent that I needed extensive bone grafts with the second stage of the revision. He said he would have liked to see my notes. Boy oh boy, so would I have liked that...

I asked him about the possibility of infection to hip prostheses being introduced through dental work, and he had no truck with that whatsoever. (This also being the view of my consultant, and his professional organisation here in the UK.)

On the subject of dentistry, he told me that if you do not clean your teeth before bed, you will wake up playing reluctant hostess to a number of uninvited and unwelcome visitors. That number being in the region of 8 million.

He was a charming gentleman, and hugely erudite in a subject which is of such massive importance to those of us who find we have unwittingly joined "The Less Than-Two-Per Cent Club".

I'm glad you are doing pretty well at present. Take it slowly. And don't worry too much about friends and family having Sympathy Fatigue. It is pretty common, I think. I was certainly not swamped with cards or flowers. It's possible that people don't quite realise what a big deal these operations are. Here in the UK, for some reason, a hip operation is widely thought of as a straightforward procedure from which you will recover pretty much immediately.

I'm sure I thought that too, until I was let in on its innermost little secrets and surprises.

All the best.

Glynis
 
What a great story @glynis. Isn't it amazing how things we need somehow fall into our lap? I hope you had a wonderful cruise! It sounds intriguing! Only 100 people?
 
I'm really bad at not reading my post before I post it and I thought I would see what I've written. Sure enough it said
' I can be a bit of a poodle though'. What?????
So I go into edit and sure enough I haven't written POODLE I wrote BI@@H

:rotfl::heehee::snork::loll::rofsign:

I was wondering what you meant. I thought it was an Aussie phrase.
 
So did I ha ha so funny. Don't worry about being a 'poodle' sometimes - you are a kind and lovely person who has been through too much. I hope today is a good day :)
Gill

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2
 
Thanks for that story @glynis maybe we should pay for his cruise next time so we can ask him many many questions???? How about all us Bonesmarties who have had an infection join in the fun????? Seriously, I agree with what Kat said. I hope you had a lovely cruise and thanks for sharing.

I'm having a really rough time....I won't bore you with it....we have all been there.

Thanks to those who drop in to say Hi.....I appreciate it
 
[Bonesmart.org] Infection, dislocation, revisions, & life beyond
@Vetgirl, and so admire how you're handling your setback and how encouraging you are to others.

Take care of yourself and keep us posted. [Bonesmart.org] Infection, dislocation, revisions, & life beyond
 
Sally when you said you could be a "poodle" at times I thought you meant like a "snappy poodle or dog" LOL! I call myself a "snappy turtle" when I am feeling b!t¢hy and start snapping at the DS and DH. <3
 
stopped by to see how you're doing sally @Vetgirl . sounds like it's still a struggle, but your sense of humor shows through. how I wish for you to be feeling so much better, in fact, after it all and enjoying life again. when you think about it, mostly our loved ones don't get on this forum. they do their best, hopefully, but only people who go through it can really know how we feel. that's why there are forums for every possible interest group. hang in.
maybe let your family members take turns sitting in the wheelchair...
 
Im in on the cruise with the professor. I'm just worried about infection ...


Sheryl from Pittsburgh
LTHR on 4/2/2014
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi everyone

I'm feeling more positive the last few days. Had a good talk to Wayne about everything. I just explained that I was feeling isolated, alone and lonely and although the family were fantastic at looking after me, I felt left out.

Just little things like I would always have to ask what was going on, or he didn't just chat to me about stuff like he usually does and 1 night they all ate dinner in the other room and didn't ask me to come in or come in to where i was. It's not their fault...they know lots of noise is tough for me, and I don't eat much. It's made such a difference though these small changes ...I don't feel so invisible and alone.

On top of that my sister in law visited me yesterday, hubby took me up the shops to get a few things and then a girlfriend dropped over. It's amazing how these few little things lift your spirits. I've asked for help and I've gotten it. Yes it's still boring, painful, frustrating blah blah blah but it's so much more bearable when you get the support you need...not what others think you need.

You guys are always amazing. Thank you

We have a 4 day weekend here for Easter so we have a few things planned ..... Not much but 'not much' is just enough for me!!!!

Are you all celebrating Easter this weekend too?

Thanks for always getting me through. I try not to be a misery guts but sometimes you just can't help it!!!!
 
Oh Sally, @Vetgirl - "misery guts" - you definitely are not!

So pleased you have a few Easter activities planned to lift your spirits - so important whilst waiting for your next surgery.... hang onto to the dreams if a new future with Wayne and the girls - it is not far away dear Aussie friend.

Happy Easter ((( hugs )))) xxx
 
So glad that you have been ' included' more in the activities....sometimes we just need to tell our loved ones how we feel...your hubby sounds great. Hoping you have a lovely Easter with your family....Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Vetgirl Sally, we had Maundy Thursday service last night, (Anglican) tomorrow Great Easter Vigil, and then mass on Easter morning. I sing in the choir, wife plays piano and our older daughter will be home from university with her roommates who live in other states. She is a voice major, with the tools a desire to sing opera, it will be wonderful to have her home for a few days!
 
My heart aches for you.....I can totally empathize with the boredom and lonely feelings. I absolutely admire your positive attitude and ability to express your needs to us and your family. I have difficulty maintaining the same over my days of recuperation and you've been keeping it up for months. I feel wimpy when I see what you've been able to do. You are one very strong lady! I am not one to give that compliment lightly and it's one I value greatly in a person!


Sheryl from Pittsburgh
LTHR on 4/2/2014
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi Sally. As I read thru your ordeal, I just now noticed your age. Darn, you are just so young to be going thru such an ordeal. My heart really goes out to you. What are the docs saying about your overall prognosis fur healing or repair. This infection stuff sure is nasty business. I am in awe of you fortitude and attitude.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom