Hip Infection Infection, dislocation, revisions, & life beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sally,

Sounds like you are doing great! So glad you made it home!!!:)

My surgery is set for May 6. :shocked:
 
Hi Sally and very pleased that you have made it home. How did the netball go today? Sounds like your hubby has everything sorted for you and your recovery and he sounds like a real keeper!
Thanks for the info regarding the glue - that does make sense that there are internal stitches as I was wondering how only glue would hold such a big wound.
 
@Vetgirl you are amazing. Love your positive attitude despite the challenges - God as gifted you with strength and humor, which you generously share no matter what you're going through and I have appreciated since I joined BS back in Dec. 2013. I'm thrilled for you that the infection is down and time for the replacement is soon. Wishing you an uneventful :) recovery. Your family is beautiful - blessings and prayers to you all.....xo
 
Hi everyone

Well I suppose it had to come but I am feeling really blue. The excitement of getting home and going to netball (they both won!!!) has worn off and reality has set in.

I am not going to lie.....everything is hard. It's hard to get into bed, to go to the toilet, to find clothes, to get food or a cup of tea. I've left the house twice in a week and the stairs are ok but getting in and out of the car is tiring and hard. Most my things are upstairs. It is lonelier at home than in the hospital as hubby is off to work early and the kids are at school. A least I had the nurses at the hospital.

I can see and feel the stress all this is causing my husband and I feel like such a burden. He has gotten behind on things and some of those things I need so I am frustrated too. The pain is tough too. If I put too much weight on the leg it tells me...I can't take 1 single step without support which is taking a bit to get used to because I could with the THR.

But I think the worst thing is the disappointment I have in some of my family and friends. All the offers and promises of help and support are really just fluffs in the wind. Words you tell someone to make yourself feel better. I do have some wonderful and family and friends but its the close ones that can hurt you the most.

My sister is a classic. She works casually as a nurse at the hospital I have been going to. It's a new profession for her and she has become 'the nurse' rather than my sister. She visited me once in hospital in 16 days. She did come in a few times while on her shift but could never stay. And she performs well when the other nurses are around telling them all about me etc. I feel its for them not me. when she comes in she never asks about me except for the first time. She downplays the whole situation or just talks about how hard Uni is or what she told my Dr about how I was, when she sees him around. I almost feel like she is jealous of me being sick. The hard thing is she always offers the world and when I ask for help, I'm made to feel like its such an intrusion that I end up asking someone else. Also, I've been unwell since December and not once has she dropped over for a chat or coffee....and on Christmas hols she dumped her kids at our place and went for naps!!!! Maybe me a week out from hospital would have liked a nap!!

Another friend, who was away for my surgery but back about a week ago, put the pressure on me today for her to visit as she needed a friend, she was a 'mess'. I pointed out that I had the Drs today and blood tests and that was enough for one day but the pressure was on because she needed to chat. Her husband left her 2 years ago and she hasn't moved on. I have been with her the whole way and I know she didn't want him to leave but he did and they are divorced now but haven't done the financial settlement. Today she is graduating from Uni and angry because he takes the kids out and doesn't invite her or she rings his secretary to get her to tell him why can't he be nice to her...his ex wife. She wants him to come tonight and be proud of her etc

It's really time she tried to move on, but what has hurt me so much today is that she downloaded all this on me. I don't have the energy for myself, she stayed 2 hours and so being the person I am I sit up and be as positive and supportive as I can and I'm sure I look fine to her. The minute she leaves I fall in a heap and have 15 mins to rest and eat before having to go out. Then she also tells me she will pop in more often to fill in her time because she's lonely....forget about my needs!!!! I'm p$&@/ed, tired and cried for an hour after the Drs.

I then get all these texts about netball and have to find 3 different rides for the kids tomorrow for school changes and commitments and I feel alone, frustrated, don't want to put it on my husband cause he's stressed enough and think I must be a hopeless friend to get all this and no support

I then think about you all and my mum (who has passed) and my aunt who lives in Melbourne and ball my eyes out

Sorry for the rant...but I do feel better....I know it will be over soon but I think this experience has really opened my eyes to my life and friends and I think I will be channeling my efforts elsewhere after all these surgeries. It has certainly opened my eyes to people in my life and how I will help others in the future.

I just need them to be there for me ATM.....I've had major surgery and will again in a few weeks and I need to heal and look after myself for a few months not continue to look after everyone else!!!!
 
Hi Sally - I have been reading your inspiring posts for awhile now. You are truly amazing. I am a tkr member but am fascinated by your strength and positive spirit. People surprise a lot of us. My sister is very similar to yours and she hurt me very much. She had cancer a couple years ago and I stayed with her for her surgery and recovery which thankfully was very successful. She did not even visit me once when I had my tkr. She had plenty of time but does not like to deal with anything she finds unpleasant. Instead going thru life with blinders on. She has been like this her whole life. I feel I am more blessed though as I am the complete opposite. I cannot imagine all that you have been thru and are going thru with young children too! Hang in there - we are all here for you and care!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi @Vetgirl Sally.Sounds like your still putting up the big fight.I'm hoping for the best for you.You must be an incredibly strong woman.You deserve success with pain relief. I really hope you get it soon.Peace Aussie.
 
Hi Sally..... I can so understand how you feel.... When you need to be supported & helped you look to those that you have supported & helped and you find them sadly lacking. It's so disappointing but a learning curve... Bill @ Fulafoto ran a separate thread on this subject. You find out who your true 'allies' are.... It's a shock and sometimes a surprise but always disappointing. It's YOUR turn Sally.....I take my hat off to you... For your courage and your attitude.... But I have found that I have needed to be both self absorbed and selfish in my recovery..... And you need that even more..... Your hubby & kids will survive ....... It's not going to be forever.....( it probably feels like it).... You've had a mountain to climb and you need all the support..... Do hope you feel better soon... And lastly practice that awful 2 letter word....NO..... For those that don't give you the support you need and deserve at this time..... Can tell you I've written a few people out of my Will over the last 6 months...LOL..... Thinking of you... Chrissie xxxxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@Vetgirl Sally,Bless your heart my dear, I often wonder why it seems we are always the ones that are there for others when they call for our help but they can't seem to reciprocate when it is us in need. I admire you for being able to withstand all that you have with the dignity and pride that I sense from you. I know you are hurt at others actions and truly I don't blame you, but try not to let it consume you, as things like that can. You need to focus on what you are dealing with right now, and let others deal with it in their own way. Your hubby may be stressed but obviously he loves you very much. Be that as it may, he will deal with this in his way as well. But in the meantime, take the time you need to rest and heal. The time may pass at a snails crawl now, but it won't be long until this will all be behind you and you can get on with life. For now, rest and let everything else go. We are here for you and care deeply about your well-being. Gentle hugs and prayers for peace sent your way my friend.
 
Hi Sally,
Hope you are feeling less sad by now(as I see your post was 4 hours ago)... Sounds like you were suffering a bad case of what I believe is called 'transference' which happens to good listeners when their 'friends' go on and on about how themselves and their problems.

If you had been in hospital still the nurses would have booted her out so she couldn't wear you out- so you must think about yourself and be firm next time if she is too much. Or try telling her how YOU'RE feeling. But I'm sensing you are too nice for that.

It will get easier as you know but don't be afraid of looking out for number 1 at the moment ( that's you ;-) in case you forgot!)
Look after yourself and tell people what you need. They should know but invariably don't and it is not rude to tell them for example ' I'm really tired now so could you go now' etc
Thinking of you ,as are lots of others and hoping your day gets better :-)
Gill


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Vetgirl Sally, I wish I could come over and give you a hug.
A virtual one will have to do....
:console2:

Bonesmart buddies of ours are an important outlet for all of us I think.
I know I have teared up with some of the support I have received here. Wow.
The advice posted by the others before me is 'all good stuff'.
Please try to take these things to heart.

This time is important to YOU. Don't worry about these other people who you
really don't need to spend any more time with right now.
Disappointment is hard, but this does provide some clarity.
Stay strong!
:angel:
 
Sending hugs and love Sally -will be in touch xxxx
 
Sally, I am so sorry you are going through this. It is an eye-opener. I haven't heard from one of my good friends since I came home 2 weeks ago. Oh, well. Take care of yourself first. Just know that all of us bone smarties are here for you! :flwrysmile:
 
Sally I am afraid family can be funny for reasons only known to themselves, sadly I too have had my fill of this .
I sometimes wish I could have a good greet (bawl) from time to time
I trust and hope your husband will be your backup strength.
I will never forget my 1st day in hospital as I watched from my bedside window, my wife leave the building and walk 100 yards to the car with this portable toilet seat frame thingy, destined for our home, perched upon her shoulders. I thought to myself..."yup, that's the girl for me"

hang in there Sall, things will soon start to pick up

XXX
 
Hi Sally I have read your story from the beginning and think you are truely amazing, There are givers and takers in this world and I would 100 per cent want to be a giver as I find true joy in making someones day. I too have a sibling that only rings when he wants something and we have helped out many times over the years. I haven't even received a phone call from him to see how I am going.
I feel as you do and have backed away from the relationship to protect myself but I do know if anything awful happened I would be there for him, and I am sure you would do the same.
Look after yourself and don't waste the energy on feeling let down, look towards those that are helping you and think positive thoughts for your recovery. Big hugz
 
@Vetgirl Sally, I forgot to mention during my post that I have 2 brothers. One called to check on me, the other one I sent a message thru facebook in Jan that I was having the surgery in Feb. Have never gotten so much as a call to check on me. But I tried not to dwell on it. When he had to have surgery a little over a year ago I called and checked on him regularly but I guess he felt like he didn't need to see how I was doing. So I am just not worrying about it. Hope today finds you in better spirits. Feel free to vent whenever you need to my dear, we are here for you and love you bunches!!
 
Hi Sally,

I know how you feel. We've probably all experienced this to some degree. I think it's hard too when you have younger children and all of the people in your world are younger and active. I think they just literally don't get it sometimes. It's like they've never felt aches and pains and they move about freely. I've had similar disappointments with people in the past year or two and decided to look on the bright side. I focused on my husband and strengthening our relationship. I really believe that in a way that my health issues are a gift because I don't see how we could have had this kind of relationship without going through all of this. I think a lot of people get to experience this with their spouse as they get older. But, it's like we are lucky because we get to experience it earlier in our marriages and it will never be the same (in a good way.) I'll never take my husband for granted or forget what he has done for me. I can't imagine any other way that I would have had the opportunity to see how much he loves me. You are lucky to have a great guy who clearly loves you in an amazing way!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sally...even though I haven't really talked much on your thread I do keep up with you....Makes me ashamed when I cry like a baby over my recovery...You must be such a strong woman. My prayers are with you. You are so young to be going through this ordeal....You will do it though...I can tell.. like I said you are strong. Life is such a strange thing....I guess It doesn't really matter how old you are. So happy you have a strong family bond...in the end...that's what counts right....Be well...rest ...and take care of yourself,, Your family needs you...Your will pull through this...Hugs to you...xo
 
Thank you everyone for your support and replies. Although I am really sad that lots of you have, or are, going through similar situations, it does make me feel like less of a failure. Your replies were and are like a big hug wrapped around me. Thank you for reaching out.

I am back to being positive and looking after me. I can tell you that after I get through all of this....I will be making changes in who I spend the majority of my time with and fostering new and shedding old friendships. My friend who is having her breast cancer lump removed today replied to a text I sent her yesterday apologising for not being able to help!!!! I feel the same with her...and after this Ill be spending more time with her for sure.

I am thinking of you all....
 
@Vetgirl Oh, Sally, my heart goes out to you. You've been through so much and have been so courageous and still have taken time to help and comfort the rest of us (me in particular when I was having a bad spell). You certainly deserve a lot better from your friends and sister than you have been getting. Funny how something like this tells us who our true friends are. For me, it also brought home to me what is really important in life and what is just window-dressing.

And don't you dare ever say you are a failure -- you are truly one of the strongest women I know; you've been dealt a very bad hand and have dealt with it with grace and courage! Don't forget that! AND don't forget that now is a time to put yourself first and just say NO sometimes to friends(?) who want to come and dump on you. I'm so glad you have such a wonderful husband who is taking care of you, and I'm sure he is happy to do it because he loves you so much. That's a great blessing.

We all love you, Sally, and are here for you all the way.

Love,

Milli
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom