Hip Infection Infection, dislocation, revisions, & life beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's funny @younghippie .....when is your big day?

Thanks @Dieter ....I think it would be a bit of a flop although bonesmarties would probably support it :loll:

Bill @fulafoto my procedure is posterior. Prior to my surgery I asked my surgeon about the anterior approach and he said the statistics showed that long term there was no difference in the long term results but the risk of infection was higher with anterior due to the position on the body if the scar.....prone to more contact or something? I agree with Josephine that it is more about what the surgeon does all the time and his/her reputation. I prefer the scar on the back/side of the leg anyway.

What procedure are you having?

My sister works as a nurse at this hospital on a casual basis and just brought me an early morning cuppa tea!!!!
 
Fantastic news that you are going home Sally and that your markers are considerably down..... You certainly deserve some good news! Hope your journey home goes well.... Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
WOW, Sally! ((HUGS)) and loads of good wishes to you! I've been away from the forum for many months, and just read your story, and am so sorry you have gone through hell and back! Thank goodness you were here because this wonderful forum held me together when I had my near-miss 2 years ago.
I read all 30 pages of this thread but can't answer this question: did you have a PICC line for I.V. abx before they decided you needed a revision? Did I read this correctly- your infection was from your hip, which was your original hip? But your original infection was on your knee incision?
This reminds me of a patient I did an infection scan on a few months back: she had NO implants of any kind. She had a swollen, hot, red knee which turned out to be septic arthritis. Then the infection traveled and gave her endocarditis. This is why we need to be ever vigilant!
Wishing you the best!:flwrysmile:
 
Hi @jancat thanks for reading my entire thread!!! I can't believe you read the whole thing!!!!

It looks like you went through something similar?

I have never had a PICC line. When I was admitted for pneumonia and the infection in my hip, I was given IV antibiotics but through a normal IV line then went onto orals. After the aspiration and the bug was diagnosed I went onto oral penicillin until the surgery to remover the hip implant and was then on IV antibiotics u til once again I was swapped back to oral which I tolerate well. I'm very lucky that my infection is responsive to a drug that can be taken orally and so have avoided the PICC line.

I have never had knee surgery. I had my original THR in Sept 2013 and the infection was diagnosed mid Dec, aspiration in March and its stage of 2 stage revision on Mar 19th, which involved removing my replacement debriding and washing out infection and an antibiotic cement spacer being inserted.

Thanks for your interest and support. Xxx
 
Wow Sally! I think your incision looks really good! You sound like you are starting to feel better. Sending love. Mwahhh. <3
 
@Vetgirl Such good news! I bet you'll be SOO glad to get back to your own home again. I"ll bet Oscar will be delighted to see you, too!

You're in my thoughts and prayers, as always.

Love,

Milli
 
sounding good. you definitely deserve to have this go off without a hitch!
 
Hi everyone

I am home!!!!:happydance::yay::dancy::egypdance::puppysmooze::spin:

Oscar was so excited to see me. Although we are only 15 min from the hospital, the trip was draining.

Getting into the car was hard. Going up the 18 or so stairs was good but tiring. The family think I'm moving really well. My new chair is great and reclines back enough for a nap. Wayne has made up the guest room to fit my walker and set up the adjoining ensuite with all my gear. He has moved the kettle into the kitchenette, so everything is in handy reach.

We are so lucky to have a type of granny flat on our living level. We have changed it quite a bit to fit with the rest of the house, but this set up allows me to not have to go up more stairs to our bedroom.

I was very tired last night and everyone was talking together with the tv etc, and hubby treating me with kid gloves and kids reading me assignments and wanting my attention and it was so hard. The noise was making me tired and irritable because I'm so used to the quiet of my own room. But it's so nice the kids want me to help etc....they have missed me. Hubby too....although he super fusses. But it would be worse if he didn't!!!!

I had more pain last night too....probably from more movement and different furniture etc. boy it hurt in bed.....owwwwww. Hubby woke me up at 7 am as agreed ( will I ever get a sleep in??? :gaah:) as he had a meeting and I could make sure The kids got off to school. The kids told me to sleep in but I wanted to see them and help....I can rest all day.

Tomorrow I really want to go and see the girls play netball. Our youngest has just started back and had her first game last week which I missed so I'd love to go and watch her and our oldest too. But this morning I realised it will be tough going. I'd have to get up and ready by 7am and then sit in the wheelchair for over 2 hours. We would usually be there all morning as our eldest also umpires and then coaches another team but i would definitely have to leave after the 2 games....4-5 hours is just scary and stupid!!!! 2 games is scary enough!!! Tomorrow afternoon is farewell drinks for a family we know who are going to travel around Australia for a few months and I'd love to get up there for 1/2 - 1 hr.

Our eldest's game is first tomorrow and she said that she could go to her game with friends, so that I can get up a little later and just go to our youngest's game, as she (the eldest) has played for many years and we've always been there to support her. It's nice to see our kids being selfless and showing compassion for others.

I was Quite slow and sore this morning but so great to be home and get cuddles from my family and dog :yay:

@fulafoto .....i loved my cuppa!!! My surgeon used internal stitches on my original surgery and did a fantastic neat job. You will most probably have internal sutures finished off with glue. That's how we do it at the vets. The glue just keeps the edges extra together and leaves a nice neat scar. Not long now!!!!

Thanks for all your support and kind words.....you keep my spirits up!!!!:thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:

Talk soon
 
I so glad you are home and on the mend. You have a great support team there and they are looking out for you. That's great.

Pete
 
Yay, glad you made it home!!! Your family will take good care of you. Remember you're still healing hot rod!!! Lol just kidding, please don't over do it and take it easy. Soon you'll have your new hip and this summer will be great for you! Xxxx
 
So happy for you. Sending hugs.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
That is so good....what a lovely family you have Sally. All that netball sounds a lot after just coming out of hospital.....hope you can make it....sounds like you've turned a corner! Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
So happy you are doing better. Crowds of family or other people exhaust me, too. So glad my family is abiding by my wishes to not visit. They were a little upset but I asked them to go have fun night and send me pictures of texts. Hospitals are too busy with just medical personnel and things they want to do, I would much rather have them available when I get home and don't have hospital personnel to take care of my every need.
 
@Vetgirl Sally, so happy you are home where you can be with your family. I know it is tiring but probably still feels good to be there with all the stuff you are used to dealing with. Hope the next few weeks pass quickly and you can get your new hip and move on with recovery!! Hugs sent your way!!:tada::SUNsmile:
 
Hi Sally, congratulations on getting home - in the car and up the steps... It will get easier (as you know) try not to overdo it. Stay smiling , Gill :)

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2
 
Good to see you are home you will improve little by little and feel better being with your family who will look after you and try to make sure your every need is taken care of so you can rest as much as you want it is strange when you first go home after the peace of the hospital but it will quieten down and then you will be more settled and things will progress and you will be able to do a few more things that you want to do
good luck hope you are feeling more settled now
Terry
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom