Hip Infection Infection, dislocation, revisions, & life beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sally you must feel so much better without the catheter, hospital gown and to have a shower on your own...it must feel like bliss. So glad that you've managed to walk a bit too and that the infection markers are on there way down and out! Hoping your tummy settles down too. Thanks for updating us all....looking forward to your next one. Love Chrissie xxx
 
Yay Sally! I am so happy that the infection will soon be a bad memory! Thanks again for keeping us all updated about your progress.
 
Sally, it sounds like you are making good progress, and the bug is not. :yay:
Get as much rest as you can.
 
Sall the Gall...you are a REAL trooper.
you make me feel so silly for askin' all my daft questions, time after time, and ruining the lovely Josephine's days :)
I have been thinkin' of you a lot these past few months. your courage will be an inspiration to many on here

you are due a break/holiday/vacation Dear Lady......may I suggest a climbing holiday in Scotland? :)
Edinburgh castle awaits you and your climbing team

all the best from Scotland
love John
xxx
 
Thanks everyone.... @fulafoto I am allowed to touch the floor with my leg but not weight bear. I'm getting the hang of it on my tall walker where as I need to step on the operated leg, I put all my weight into my arms and tummy so when I step no weight goes into leg. If it does I certainly know from the pain!!!!

The funny thing is my leg creaks so bad....it is pretty funny and freaks everyone out.
 
@Vetgirl Glad to hear that things are going well. I am sure the shower felt marvelous!! Continue the rest my friend and update us when you can. You continue to be in my daily prayers!!
 
@Vetgirl - so glad to hear that you are on your way to getting better. I can't imagine how it felt to be crashing and alert with all that chaos around you. I felt like I was watching an episode of ER from how you wrote it, except it was from your eyes... must have been very scary and surreal at the same time.

I wish you continued improvement, and look forward to following your posts.

xoxo
 
at last you're starting to feel better. I can hear the relief in your voice. great news.
 
@Vetgirl Hi, sally -- it sounds like you are doing much better now. I'm so glad to hear that -- you've been through SO much and are still strong! Have they let you know when you can go home? How long do you have to have that spacer in there before they can put in a new hip?

I'm keeping you in my prayers for healing.

Love,

Milli
 
Hi @Butterfly no word on when I can go home. Low on energy and still not walking much. Home scares me a bit!!!!

Spacer in for another 7 weeks or so
 
@Vetgirl Sally, you have made amazing progress! Well done. You are a true fighter!
 
@Vetgirl Sally, So glad to hear you are starting to feel better and the markers are finally going down! Going is scary, but you will do great! Keep the updates coming, we're all pulling for you!
 
Wow, your attitude is great, and your recounts of such a traumatic chain of events are wonderful, you see the humor in your situation, yourself, and those around you and express that in an entertaining way...you should consider writing a book or your experience...you may have some time on your hands (or bum) as you recover.
 
Hi again

Well I now have a urinary tract infection which is pretty much susceptible to most anitbiotics except of course the one that I'm on to cure the hip infection!!!! You could have all guessed that I'm sure.

I also had a few bouts of diarrhoea and they decided to test it for clostridium difficile (c-dif) which is a bug that we all have naturally but when you have been on long term antibiotics can cause havoc. And of course I've been on a itbiotics (and lots of them!!!!) since December.

I wasn't worried about that until all my nurses started turning up in gloves and gowns and now face masks as it can be contagious and is air borne. Now anyone who comes to see me has to gown up totally and then when they leave take it all off. You can imagine how frustrating it is for the nurses who may just need to get me ice or water....gown up to get my stuff, take it all off then get what I need then gown up again. I feel like I've got the plague.....anyway....the nurses think its unlikely I've got it.

I tried crutches today.....very hard work. Very sore today too. I can go home when my wound stops weeping, I can get upstairs ( can't get into house if I can't go upstairs) and when pain in under control. Also my BP is still Pretty low. No talk of any dates yet.

I'm nervous about how I'm going to look after myself all day while hubby is at work and kids at school because you can't carry cups of tea or much else while on crutches.

@MajorHeidi the spacer is made out of bone cement impregnated with antibiotics. It goes into the area where the hip replacement / joint was and keeps it open as well as allowing you to get around but not weight bearing on it. Is ok only very sore when you put too much weight on it...then it shoots pain up the leg and joint and also feels like it could totally give way. I can stand next to the bed but all my weight is on the no operated leg and if I lose balance it kills the operated leg

The other day in the shower I had to get the hand held shower nozzle off the hook and put weight on it and it hurt like crazy. I didn't yell out because they would have come running and seen me naked. :blush::blush::blush: So I grabbed the chair and sat down. And I WON'T be doing that again.

Anyway....talk soon. Xxxxx
 
Hi Sally, bad news re the urine infection and c-diff worry. Hope it goes away soon.
Don't worry about being on crutches at home. I was non weight bearing for 10 weeks after a hip op a few years ago. I was living alone and coped fine. You can put things on a tray and push it along with one crutch as you go. One of those cups with a lid would help too. Your upper body will get really strong. I recommend pipe lagging (from DIY store) around crutch handles as your hands get sore.
Hope this helps.
Rest up and feel better soon :-)
Gill
Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2
 
And ps ...go carefully in the shower my friend, that wobble you had must have really hurt. Is there a shower chair?
At home I had a stool from Ikea in the bathroom that I sat on to shower and another in the kitchen for preparing food and drinks. I had a backpack and clothes with pockets for carrying stuff to my 'rest station'. Anyway all you must worry about now is getting better. You are coping with everything so well. A BS hero- Zap dem bugs:mad::mad:;):D
Gill
Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom