Hip Infection Infection, dislocation, revisions, & life beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you everyone for your well wishes. Your support is so amazing and always lifts my spirits

Yesterday Hubby and I celebrated our 20 yr wedding anniversary. This weekend he is taking me to Queensland to celebrate. :yay::yay: Today 3 years ago my mum passed away...so we have a lot Going on this week.

I went to see the OS and my bloods have risen significantly, so next Wednesday the 26th feb I am going into hospital for a day surgery where they will aspirate my infection and culture it to see what bug I have.

This is good news because we will know definitively what we are fighting. Then it can be treated with anitbiotics which are sensitive to it or they will know whether ABX won't be much help so they will get on with the 2 stage revision. It will take about 2 weeks to culture the sample.

The main problem here is if I get sick in the meantime I will be straight into hospital. My hubby goes to the US on the 2nd march for 2 weeks so the timing is annoying but I feel positive that we will know what is going on

The OS says my bug is not super aggressive like MRSA or Staf aureus which would have made me sicker quicker and left my wound bursting open with pus. But the bad news is the low virulent bugs like mine can be harder to treat with ABX alone. He said I'm a trooper!!!! That was nice.

He also said my hospital has very low infection rates lower than average so that is great to know too. The good news is I have slightly more energy and less of a fuzzy brain off the ABX. Leg is more painful in the joint though.

Good luck to everyone having surgery in these past and next few days....
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update Sally. It seems like things are moving forward. How long have you been off the ABXs?
 
Good news Sally, @Vetgirl - have a wonderful time in QLD, happy anniversary! .. Sorry it is tinged with sadness regards your Mum.. sending hugs and love xx
 
Happy Anniversary Sally ... Have a great weekend in Queensland.... Glad that things are moving on with the tests, etc... At least you will know what you are dealing with....Take care. Chrissie xxx
 
Happy anniversary! I'm wishing your life to be back to normal soon.
 
Happy Anniversary - have a wonderful time. And I'm so glad you have excellent doctors taking care of you - hopefully this infection will soon be a thing of the past.
 
Happy Anniversary, hope you both have a lovely weekend. Your OS is so right...you are a trooper.:)
 
Happy Anniversary Sally I hope you both have a wonderful time
 
Thanks everyone....I really want OT know what big is causing My infection....my hip is quite sore this weekend
 
Hi @Vetgirl
Just been catching up with your posts, here's hoping that you get some answers soon. Happy anniversary by the way
 
Thanks for all your well wishes....we had a lovely weekend away. The water was so blue and it wasn't too hot.
It was great to do some walking along the beach and feeling like a normal person.

The good news is that I have more energy off the ABX but the bad news is I have quite a lot of pain in my hip joint. It can take my breath away and throbs quite a bit. Back to taking regular pain relief.....codeine and paracetamol. Hubby got me a wheelchair at the airport to save me walking the long distances. I used a walking stick today for extra support as it feels like it can give way.

I had a few little tears away...delayed response to everything....mum, more surgery and pain again. And being out on the beach and doing some things has made me realise how restrictive my life has been....might be.

I hope you all had a Great weekend......I'll be running around the boards to try and catch up on all your news


Xxxx
 
So glad you had good weekend away @Vetgirl....can so understand your tears...hoping for some news for you soon. Thinking of you. Chrissie xxx
 
Vetgirl, I hope that you enjoyed your trip a lot. I know its hard right now but just think its going to get better and when this is all over what a story you will be able to tell and the strength that you have. Lot of times when things are ruff we have time to look at our life and make it so much better in the long run. I will be gone for a while but you will still be in my prays. Take care and do remember it is going to get so much better. Tashia
 
Vetgirl,
Just wanted to say sorry you have pain and everything is so tough for you at the moment. It will get better...
Very best wishes to you
 
Hi everyone

I am Feeling annoyed about my situation and tomorrow as the anaesthetists office rang to tell me the out of pocket fee for her service was about $350. I know she needs to get paid as its another surgery but It just brings up the uncomfortable subject of fees doesn't it? Should I be paying or not???? I'd love your input....

So far the OS only has charged me what I can get back. why should I be out of pocket? I've already lost my job, wages plus I have to pay the hospital excess again, medications etc. don't get me started on If I have to have the revision......I may need help at home as hubby won't be able to be around much due to his new job. Also all the hiring costs, medications, loss of income....relying on friends with the kids because of course it's my driving leg!!!! Hubby is going to deal with talking about finances and where they will land with the Drs as I don't want to be upset with my team. I'm super sensitive now the pain is back!!!!

Then the hospital rings and of course I'm on the surgical list in the afternoon which is a pain with kids being picked up from school etc. I am to turn up at 2 pm.....I bet lll be last on the list as I have an infection!!!!!

Burst into tears after that call. The pain is reallybreath taking. It HURTS. Not only when I walk but when I don't. Don't know what I wish for now....exhaustion or pain. Great choices hey????

Anyway......thanks for listing to my rant. I know there are worse off people than me

Talk soon
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom