Hip Infection Infection, dislocation, revisions, & life beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Popping in to say hi and hoping you feel better. Sending hugs. Peggy xo
 
Hi Sally. Just wondering what the doctor had to say.
 
Hi everyone

Well some positive news for me....sort of.

The Professor was lovely and cost nothing!!! I was nervous that he would be rude and wondering why I was there...but he wasn't. I guess it is a serious situation. As he is part of the public system I was extra nervous after Bills @fulafoto visit yesterday with his OS.

So the news is that I am being taken off the anitbiotics because I am having problems with my Achilles' tendon....tendonitis which is a side effect of the drug. They don't want it to rupture. Also as I am so extremely tired, having temps and bloods slightly elevated he thinks the antibiotics may be causing this.

He took bloods again today to check for lots of different bugs especially since I had pneumonia as well. Then I have more bloods taken in a week and a half before I see him again in 2 weeks.

The bad news is that I may get sick again.....if that happens then I'm to contact the OS and go to hospital and not take antibiotics so they do an aspiration to get some of the infection and can grow the bug and then treat it with the appropriate antibiotics.

He thought that there was a good chance that if the infection came back and was indentified then they could cure it without a 2 stage revision surgery which is great news!!!!!

Even if it comes back and I have to have surgery to aspirate the infection I feel it is better than waiting around till June when I may be in the same boat. He was quite positive whereas my surgeon has been more guarded.

Once again i feel happy with 'my team' of experts and find them both really approachable. I personally feel that the antibiotics aren't causing the temps etc because it is a new symptom and I'm getting a lot of things that I had before hospital but in a milder form.

But hey I'm not the specialist and I've nothing to lose if I get sick again because at least we can find out what I'm fighting rather than all this guess work because even the professor doesn't know what the bug is although he suspects its a gram negative bug.

You guys have been the most amazing support network and friends. I still have a road to go but I know you are all with me good or bad. It's amazing when you are sick that you find out who is there for you. A lot of people haven't been.....but I can always come here and know someone will lift my spirits. I will certainly be more available for people in the future

I really have tried to be positive...no one wants to hang around someone who is always complaining.....

I'm super tired after no sleep last night but will get around to offer my support to you all. I hope you are all well

Sally xxx
 
Oh Sally that really is wonderful news!!! I am so pleased for you. Taking a sample of the infection if it returns makes so much sense so they will be able to fight it with something that will be effective.

Really pleased that you had a good consultation with your bloke! I am feeling better about all my stuff but I wont hijack your thread - will put it in my own!

Once again that really is a super outcome! Congratulations!
 
Hijack away Bill @fulafoto I accidentally hijacked yours yesterday!!!

Love the new photo!!!
 
Hi Sally,
Just wanted to say I'm pleased your appt went well. Sounds like the prof knows what he's doing. You'll be able to see how you feel without the antibiotics. You've been through so much very bravely. Have a good rest today,
Sending healing thoughts
Gill
 
Hi Sally, I am so glad to hear that your appointment went well and the plan is if you get I'll again to take a specimen from your hip to ensure you get the right antibiotic ASAP.Your team sound really competent and you are in very good hands.I just want to say that in my opinion you have been a wonderful example of positivity during this process and not only that but you have been very supportive to me and other Bonesmarties.I am hoping for a positive outcome for you.
 
Nice to have some good news ! Glad the appointment went well and that your "team" is great.
I am hoping this is the beginning of brighter days for you.
xoxo
 
You so deserve some good news, sweetheart. I'm happy to hear this bit of sunshine. Sending hugs. Peggy xo ;)
 
@Vetgirl hi. interesting how we get used to things and the definition of good news changes. but it does sound good and sensible and I hope you don't have to get sick again. but at least people are on top of what's going on and will be very attentive to every nuance. as the old saying goes, "the darkest hour is just before dawn". you are definitely an inspiration. devorah
 
@Vetgirl, you mentioned a problem with your Achilles' tendon. I am interested in that, as I am having pain in my Achilles' tendon on my operated side. I am not on antibiotics, so that is not the cause. Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be due to the fact that I was limping for so long?? It started before the surgery and has persisted. Was hoping it would clear up. I am stretching it, but don't know what else to do.
 
So glad that you have had some positive interaction with The Professor Sally @Vetgirl....it's so good that they have a viable plan in place and that you can perhaps get on with your life in the meantime. We have all been holding our breath for you.....in fact we love to hear from you good or bad...you're a star!!! Keeping everything crossed ( and that's not easy at the moment..LOL) for the best possible outcome...love Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
He thought that there was a good chance that if the infection came back and was indentified then they could cure it without a 2 stage revision surgery which is great news!!!!!

Oh Sally! This makes me so happy! I am running off to work so I will check back later! <3
 
@Vetgirl I am very happy for you that your meeting with the Prof went well.
The action plan proposed by him sounds right on target to identify the bad bug.
Yay!
Glad you got some good news, and hope your day is filled with smiles.
 
@Vetgirl I'm glad you had some good news! You certainly deserve it. I do so hope they can cure it without that two stage revision. That would be so wonderful for you!

And don't worry about complaining (which you really don't do, and even if you were complaining, you certainly have evey right to do so -- look at all you've been through).

Love to you, and you are in my prayers for healing.

Milli
 
Thank you all for your continued support.

@nettie I'm sorry I can't really offer you anything useful on the Achilles pain you are having. I have been having pain in my right Achilles' tendon for about 1 month but it is a well known side effect from the antibiotics I am on. Maybe you could tag Jo and she might be able to offer some insight

Day 2 of no antibiotics is uneventful. I have a mild headache, am tired (what's new????) but my temp seems ok...was up but ok now.

Fingers crossed xxxx
 
@nettie, not wanting to derail Sally's thread, I am jumping in here as I am currently experiencing heel pain!

Add 10 ml Glycerin to a tub of hot water (not warm). When the water is at a comfortable temperature, submerge your feet for in it for at least 20 minutes (up to ankles, do make sure it is not too hot for you though). The glycerine will soften any dry and cracked skin on your heels. As we all know it is hard to reach our heels post surgery to give them the intensive care they need as we learn to walk again, often with a different gait.

Also check the tread on your current shoes you are wearing against a pair you wore pre surgery and haven't yet worn, you may need to consider new shoes.

Regards nutrition the cell salt calcium fluoride unites with albumen and oil in the body's system to keep the connective tissue healthy and elastic. It Is also an important ingredient in healing ligaments (especially the ligaments around the heel and Achilles' tendon) bones and other areas of the body. A deficiency in calcium fluoride and silica can present as heel pain.

Food sources for calcium fluoride are egg yolks, whole grain rye, yogurt, beets, watercress, fish and oysters. Consider adding milk cheese, kale and tomatoes all of which contain calcium. Okra, which also contains calcium is also gentle on the tummy.

Recheck my article on 'bone health' for further calcium and silica information in the...

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

Disclaimer: The information on dietary factors, foods, and beverages contained in these articles does not cover all possible uses, actions, precautions, side effects, and interactions. It is not intended as medical advice for individual problems. Liability for individual actions or omissions based upon the contents of this article is expressly disclaimed. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of all medical conditions including the taking of supplements.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom