Hip Infection Infection, dislocation, revisions, & life beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Sally,
It looks like you are several steps nearer getting a solution. When you feel more like it ask the GPand or Prof about the Keflex if only to stop one of your worries. It's good too that there is a date for revision and it's not too long. You really are as your surgeon said, a trooper. Keep going and look after yourself - sending kind thoughts,
Gill
 
One step closer Sally, @Vetgirl - looking forward to hearing the result of the cultures... Hang in there babe, you are such a trouper! xxxxxxx
 
Sally,

I think they'll be able to culture something since the antibiotics have had an effect along the way. In my case, the joint was very swollen with fluid, White Blood Count was thru the roof (157K in the joint) and they could not culture anything (no bugs grew) because in my case it was NOT an infection...it was my body reacting to metal particulate. If nothing grows...you might at least ask about a non-allergic metal reaction. But...I'm betting something cultures.

Good luck,

Z
 
well @Vetgirl . not much to say. at least you're 'on the road again'. I hope they figure something out to help the time pass without pain and exhaustion. you have certainly been tested. looking forward to hearing that you're on the road to recovery.
 
I have lost a little confidence in the professor as why would Keflex work when nothing else has???????
You know I have been thinking about this. Maybe the Keflex would be more effective now because the infection is more under control? I really don't know, but I wanted to encourage you to ask the professor himself. He may have his reasons. Sending love. <3
 
Thinking of you Sally @Vetgirl and hoping the results from the cultures throw more light onto the situation. I'm sure the professor has given you keflex for a reason....but I know how you must be doubting everything and everyone at the moment. Thinking of you. Love Chrissie xxxx
 
Hi Sally @Vetgirl just catching up on your thread. (for some reason my alerts went to my spam folder) You've had good news, bad news and still playing the waiting game. I hope you get some answers soon with the culture, I completely understand why you would doubt everything. I am hoping and sending positive thoughts to you and you get answers soon. xoxo
 
@Vetgirl Sorry I haven't posted to you in the last few days. I've been having trouble getting on the forum (error messages and trouble signing in, freezing screen, etc.). But that doesn't mean you are not in my thoughts and prayers every day. Have you heard anything from your docs about the infection and what it is?

I hope you are holding up well in the waiting game. Did you get your question answered about the Keflex?

Love, peace and healing to you.

Milli
 
@Vetgirl - I'm so sorry for what you're going through :-( I hope you get done answers soon & start to get through this xx
 
Hi everyone

Firstly thank you to everyone for your unwavering support throughout this process.

Since my aspiration, I slept a lot ....probably from the anaesthetic????? THe pain in my hip has lessened but I have worked out that's cause I'm not moving!!!! lol. My husband left for USA on Sunday and we are just hoping I stay well until he comes back. We also want to get to Melbourne for my cousins engagement on the 15 th march.

Anyway, on Monday my temperature was going up, up and up...headaches and sore neck. Very typical of how it goes for me. Didn't call surgeon because that means hospital and putting everyone out, in regards to minding my kids. Tuesday...temp high end of normal.....today on the up again.

Today i felt good and was out and about and now hip is SORE. Was going to ring surgeon later on but he rang with my results. The bug is........drumroll please........staph epidermis !!!!! It lives on the skin. It is quite treatable with antibiotics however loves living in a biofilm and creates a quite a bit of sludge on implant so can be difficult to treat with ABX alone.

The professor wants to give the ABX another go but my surgeon is committed to the 2 stage revision. I agree. He said it is one of those infections that keeps bubbling away as the ABX find it hard to penetrate the sludge. He has changed my ABX to try and keep me out of hospital but as my CRP and ESR have doubled in the last week he is not very hopeful (me either) of keeping me out of hospital for another 2 weeks and said if I get worse he will admit me for maintenance until hubby gets home. I said hubby and I are committed to him finishing his training in the USA (well me....not him really) and if I go onto hospital then just do the surgery rather than maintain me till Wayne gets home. Why waste time sitting in hospital!!!!

He agreed with me that Keflex wasn't working....by symptoms and bloods....anyway......that where I'm at. Have been quiet inthe message boards. Please forgive me. I am just resting and trying to do a few things day by day before the roller coaster of being incapacitated starts again

Talk soon

Xxxx
 
Hi @Vetgirl Even those of us who are not commenting on your thread are following your saga - you are in many people's thoughts and prayers. And I agree, if you are going to be an in-patient then get the surgery done! The longer your general health is being dragged down by a simmering infection, the worse you will be feeling.
Good luck!
Best wishes Anne
 
Hi Vetgirl,
I am glad you got some answers at last, but very sorry you have been so ill. It sounds like the best thing to have a revision and get rid of the tenacious infection once and for all.

It must be hard with your hubby away. I hope you stay well enough to keep out of hospital but if not I heartily agree that they need to get on and make you properly better.
Thinking of you and wishing you strength and wellness:):)

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2
 
@Vetgirl.....answers at last....but not the one you wanted! Was so hoping that some conservative treatment would do it for you. So agree that once you were admitted surgery would be best option over maintenance ......so sorry Sally that you are still going through all this.... Wish I could wave a magic wand and have it all done with for you. I'll bet your hubby is worrying like hell not being able to be there with you. Thinking of you and hoping that you can be on the road to recovery, once more. Chrissie xxx
 
Hi @Vetgirl Glad you are getting some answers. That just means you are one giant step closer to getting your life back! I am hopeful and praying for you. :)
 
@Vetgirl - I am so glad that you finally have some answers. Warm thoughts and prayers going out your way so that you stay well at least until hubby gets back, and you can face the next phase together.
xoxo
 
well, quite a drumroll. do you have any idea where the infection began? the image of the sludge is pretty jarring. I wonder what the picture of your joint will look like (did you see @MountainGirl ?). but seriously, I hope you'll soon be able to look back on this very difficult period and..dance!
 
@Vetgirl - can I just say that you are one brave lady? Lots of issues and handling all this on your own. Well - you do have your BoneSmart family. At least you are now getting some answers. Hang in there and do keep us updated.
 
Thanks everyone....

@Hoppy Nanny ....yes Wayne is finding it hard to be away.....I didn't want him to cancel the trip as he's only been in the job 3 weeks and they have been so good to us. He's come to all my appts and was wi me in hospital. The company ironically does hospital medical hand sanitizer so they know all about the nasty bugs etc. one of the staff knew my Dr and said he was very highly regarded etc low infection rate etc. the company knew about my original THR as he travelled to the USA for his final interview 3 weeks after my surgery and they have told him he can go home or be with me as needed. It's such a relief that he is with such a great company.

@dickinson ahhhhhhh the million dollar question about how I got the bug????? It lives on the skin. I read on the Internet that it can quite often be transferred by hospital staff or collected on artificial devices as they go in. I had a small irritation that came up about 3 weeks after surgery that I thought was a stitch knot or something -(I had internal sutures) maybe that did it? Although I had a deep pocket of fluid tracking out to the scar so it most probably happened earlier than that.

The great news is that it isn't antibiotic resistant but my OS feels that it is unlikely to be cured with ABX alone due to the sludge it creates as a biofilm. Yes sludge is quite descriptive isn't it? I really want to see the implant after it comes out....he let me see my femoral head so I'm sure he will show it to me.

What did you mean about mountain girl? I didn't understand the reference?????

I should tag @Josephine to see what she says......she picked it would most likely need a revision from that photo at the start of this now very long thread

Xxxx
 
Hi! I posted a picture of my poor femoral head in my recovery thread. It wasn't infected, but it looks terrible. :-) Looking forward to reading about your recovery! Like others say, I may not always post, but I follow your story closely. Please take care!

BTW, where in the US is your husband staying? Good luck to him, too!

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom