Hip Infection Infection, dislocation, revisions, & life beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
We went out for breakfast and now with friends
[Bonesmart.org] Infection, dislocation, revisions, & life beyond
@Vetgirl, @fulafoto
 
Well It's Tuesday in Oz today. Wishing you good news!
 
Hi everyone.....I've been to my OS today and I now play the waiting game.

Iam on the antibiotics for another 5 months. By then I'll be on half dose and then go off them to see if infection has cleared. There is a chance that it will but he still sees surgery as a big chance after that. However, he would prefer to give the ABX a chance rather than dive into a 2 stage revision. I had an x-ray today as my joint is stiffer and sorer than 6 weeks ago. I see the professor of microbiology in 2 weeks and the OS the week after that again.

I'm really flat.....I feel like I'm in limbo for another few months and I've no energy for anything. He said this could be because of fighting the dual infection or it could be the antibiotics. He said that my head space and lack of knowing my future will be a challenge.

I am having a pity party today....I've had a temperature again today and I'm sick of my life. It's a year now since I've been able to do all the things I want or without everyone treating me like an invalid. I'm not sure how I'm going to occupy my time. I just wanted it all done and dusted by half year but know I would be stupid to jump in and have surgery when there is a chance that it can be cured this way however small.

I'm just wondering if @Josephine @Poppet @Jamie @Jaycey or anyone know of anyone whose infection was cured thru drugs when the chances were low without a revision? Also why am I so exhausted ? And why am I having low grade temps again? And is stiffness and pain signs the drugs aren't Working?

Sorry...just thought of all these questions this afternoon.....

Anyway....thanks for all your support
 
Oh dear Sally - I truly feel for you. The unknown is terrible and in your case you have been there however did not get the result you were after - well not yet anyhow. It is difficult to comprehend the future with a limited amount of energy and ability to undertake physical activity - I am totally with you there and understand so very well.
Not sure if you have seen my poem but here is the link if you want a read;
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/a-poem-the-world-goes-by.22952/#post-556084
AS far as feeling flat I know when I am on antibiotics I feel drained and flat so it may be a side effect of those however it is a good idea to tag the gang you did... s
Sorry I am not much help but I am thinking of you and hoping it gets better sooner rather than later for you Sally.
 
@Vetgirl ..... Hi Sally..Sorry to hear that you are still in that limbo place that does not allow you to get on with your life as you'd hoped when you entered the THR journey....it hadn't been the solution that you hoped it should have been..., my heart goes out to you.
In some ways I expect you just want the surgery and move on.... But I'm sure, as I expect you know in your heart, that the surgeon is taking exactly the right conservative approach and trying to avoid it if possible. Those antibiotics combined with the unknown quantity will, of course have dragged you down. However, I truly believe that with the positive mental attitude that you have so evidently displayed on this forum over the past weeks and months, you will overcome this hurdle.
Of course, it's easy to say for those of us who are not going through it... But hope it helps to know that people care.
Some years ago I had a DVT which resulted in a Pulmonary Embolism....it was touch and go for a while as they didn't know if the clot would go to the brain..... I was on warfarin for 18 months and spent some time in 'that limbo' you describe...the fatigue that brings on is overwhelming at first but eventually you learn to get on with the life you have.
It does literally fill your headspace for a while and doesn't allow any respite.

I think I'm about the same post op time as you as my hip still feels very tight and stiff at times.... not exactly pain though ..So I'm hoping yours is just the usual progression.

Thinking of you, Sally, hoping you manage to find some respite from all this. With much love...Chrissie x
 
Oh Sally. I am sorry that you feel so down. It is completely understandable. I am very hopeful for you that the ABX's will work and you will not need additional surgery, but I get the limbo thing. Hopefully someone knowledgeable will weigh in soon regarding the medication. What did the X-ray show? You may be stiffer because you have been less active? I don't know what to say except to let you know that I am here to support you.
 
@Vetgirl - we all think of you so often - living through all this pain, uncertainty, worry when you should be getting better. I, along with all the others, hope you will have answers and a solution very soon!
 
I pray this approach works for you and you life goes back to normal and the you have peace while you go through this in jesus Name
 
Of course you are feeling fatigued - your body is in a fight of it's life trying to rid you of this infection. It leaves you with little energy reserves you you time. As for have people had this resolved with abx, of course have they have! Considerable more than have had to resort to a revision, in fact. So be of god cheer - the odds are in your favour. You know that they say - it ain't over till the fat lady sings!
 
I don't have any cogent words, but do want to say that I hope you feel better soon, and you can get
this behind you with the ABX.
((Hugs))
 
@Vetgirl I am so sorry that the news you got today was not good but far better that your surgeon tries the conservative route first before putting you through more surgery which may be unnecessary and it was good to hear what Jo said about knowing plenty of other people in your position who have responded to the antibiotics without needing the revision.I too totally understand your frustration of not being able to do all the things that you want to do and not knowing what the future holds.Thinking of you and hoping and praying for a positive outcome
 
Thank you everyone for your kind words, thoughts, well wishes and poem link!!!!

I am very pleased to hear that many people have been fixed by ABX alone @Josephine .....I suppose I wasn't that hopeful because the surgeon says ABX alone usually don't fix the problem. Do you have any idea why I would still be getting low grade temperature spikes????

Kids getting back to school this week and hubby starts new job next week so I'm trying to get my head around a life that includes looking after them with adequate rest as well.

I think routine will be good for me!!!!!

Thanks again for all your friendship....I wake each day and its the first thing I go to ...checking out my alerts and messages....it helps buoy me and know I'm not alone!!!!!

Thank you

:thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:
 
@Vetgirl I'm sorry you are feeling so low. What you are describing is exactly what I was feeling when I had my meltdown last week or the week before about my back pain -- just a hopeless feeling that it will never be any better and not getting any real answers. It really messes with your head and you can see your life passing you by. I am a bit better now, and the depressed feeling is lifting some. I, too, just wanted it "done and dusted" and thought I'd be all better by now, but am still struggling with the back pain though it is improving slowly.

All I can say is that you are in my thoughts and prayers and I can only imagine what you are going through with this infection. At least I can tell when mine is getting better, whereas you have to wait for blood tests and so on. That's got to be a lot harder.

We are here to support you all the way.

Love,
Milli
 
@Vetgirl...as you can see I am still trying to figure out the rules here...Think I got it...lol Thanks for telling me ...feel like a big dope:umm:
 
oh I hope you get well soon. I am slowly trying to become a part of this wonderful site I came upon. I have been reading your threads. I truly hope you get back to you old self. We women are strong...you can do it:SUNsmile:
 
@chaseyboy You and I will have to start our own threads soon enough. We have been posting a lot on
everyone elses.
We all love @Vetgirl . Hope you feel better bigtime soon
 
Don't be silly @chaseyboy you are not a dope!!!! The moderators remind us from time to time to not hijack others threads so I didn't want to relist all the info there. I really hope you took me the right way :)

I really appreciate your thoughts and would love for you and @MajorHeidi to start threads of your own so I can follow and support you too
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom