Incautious optimism

Agree wholeheartedly with @Mojo333!! I visited the ODIC ( over did it club) several times with knees. Believe me, you WILL regret it! Slow and easy wins this “race” !

Right now, pre-surgery and ignorant, I'm thinking I'll push it a little on days I'm feeling pretty good, always prepared to pay for my exuberance. Hey, kids learn by falling down, right? But if I've learned anything from you guys, it's a measure of caution - don't push it to 2 miles when 1.2 might be better. Baby steps.

That seem about right to you?

We're in Brasstown...tiny little dot on the map but home of the infamous John C. Campbell Folkschool. My surgeon is Dr. DeCook in Cumming, GA. Very well known and respected.
And he does this as outpatient!! Same as knee last summer.

I've actually heard of Brasstown! Never been there, though - I'll have to rectify that sometime! And outpatient? What a wild man! My OS has a crazy good rep, but he's attached to a huge practice that seems pretty hidebound in its ways (they still insist on antibiotics for life before tooth cleanings - ugh) so no day trips to the spa for me. :what:
 
Baby steps are OK on this journey. As long as you are going forward, you will eventually get to a better place than before THR! And I am told sooner than later for hips. I sure hope so. I've paid my dues with 2 TKR.
 
Hi @Bone-obo
Well tomorrow is your big day. Hope you're prepared and ready to roll.
It will be nice to see you on the recovery side. You're going to love it!
Wishing you peace and comfort as you await tomorrow.
 
Thanks, @Layla - right now peace is exactly what I need, and I'll save the comfort for later this week!

Incidentally, last night I went out to eat with friends, and on the way out of the restaurant, one of my best friends, a retired 89-year-old drama professor, took me aside and said, "I'll be thinking of you this week during your surgery."

"Thanks," I said.

"But you be a good patient," she added, "and don't give your wife any trouble."

"Not even a little?"

"If you have to, you can moan one time." Her face drooped and she demonstrated: a long piteous moan, heart-breaking, which resolved into a sad puppy face, all big eyes and quivering lips. I half-expected to hear "Wings of a Dove".

"Wow!" I laughed. "That's a lot!"

"Well, yes." She admitted wryly. "But that's all!"

So now I know.

It's Hipmas Eve, ya'll! This thing's gettin' real! :scary:
 
Enjoy your last day with your original parts! What time is your surgery?
 
@Bone-obo oh man. Shoe laces. The bane of my existence. I can' even seem to get the elastic ones to work. And my slip on sneakers don't fit over my swollen Fred Flintstone feet.

You may find after surgery that your hip actually hurts less than before. You'l be on good pain management meds and all that aching from an arthritic joint is gone. I've already noticed that my range of motion and muscle pain is less than pre-op. The nausea bothered me way more than the surgical site.
 
@Bone-obo. We will all be thinking of you tomorrow. You got this! It’s amazing that immediately you can tell that horrid OA pain is gone. Yeah, there’s surgical pain, but you know it will go away!!

I put the large gel pack in a pillow case. I have three that I rotate. So it can wrap around your incision, you can hold the edge of case to snug it up. Works like a charm for me. Hip speed my friend!!
 
Best wishes for tomorrow. All will go smoothly. Remember that beginning tomorrow your new best friend is the ice pack. I used it as much as possible. And confidence in your self. You got this and will be moving along smoothly in no time at all.
 
@Bone-obo
Sending good mojo your way.
Yay for bye bye Hip Pain!
See you on the healing side.
(You can moan to us, I won't tell:whistle:)
 
@jaydub63: I'm on the table at 10am. No brunch for me.
@honeybeast: good to know about the shoe laces! I have elastics on my Merrills already, but we shall see if they still fit...!
@Kikki: is the gel pack for cushioning or icing? Always looking for tips! I have the TheraPaq that wraps an ice gel around the hips - is that what you mean?
@Jaycey, @sweet alice and @Mojo333: heartfelt thanks!!
 
You'll be icing the hip, the side of the thigh, the top of the thigh down to the knee and your groin. Cut your toe nails tonight and wave goodbye to touching your feet for a while.
 
You'll be icing the hip, the side of the thigh, the top of the thigh down to the knee and your groin. Cut your toe nails tonight and wave goodbye to touching your feet for a while.

I hope I've got enough ice packs - I've got 2 big ones and 6 5x10's. We shall see!

Sadly, I said goodbye to my feet ages ago, so no loss there. Seriously, my ROM is pathetic right now - that's the biggest thing I want out of this, even over the pain.

Good advice on the nails. I'll see if I can reach 'em with the Dremel....
 
You'll be icing the hip, the side of the thigh, the top of the thigh down to the knee and your groin. Cut your toe nails tonight and wave goodbye to touching your feet for a while.

It’s for icing. I just slip the Flexi kold. Pack in it.
Icing is the best. It’s amazing and why we love icing. Really helps with the pain and swelling
 
Best wishes for a smooth surgery and fast recovery! You've got this! Update as you can!
Just remember the “ates”- medicate, elevate and refrigerate ( ice! ) :ice:
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom