Guest viewing is limited

Incautious optimism

By the way, this site is unabashedly amazing - I've learned so much lurking around here. Reading everybody's stories and following their journeys has helped me prepare for mine. I hope I can contribute something with my story that someone else can learn from and enjoy, and add to the value of this marvelous place. To all of us here: salut!
 
I'm certain those who come behind you will learn something from your Story.
The trick is to learn what works and how we all make mistakes that doesn't help our recovery.
Patience will be the hardest thing to master.
Comparing our recovery to others can also cause us grief, as it is not a competition to heal the quickest.
Our bodies are in control of that, unfortunately.
I agree this forum was an invaluable tool for my recovery.
Hope your day is a Good Day.:tada:
 
OMG...giving up kayaking would be awful. I am eager to show my new hip the lakes!:kayak:
 
Your post so rings true with me. Either avoiding things that will hurt or pushing through in pain. (I went to a general admission concert the beginning of April and ended up walking back to the hotel after about half an hour of standing on concrete. :sick:) I think it’s good to be optimistic and hopeful for relief! Good luck on your surgery! :flwrysmile:
 
Not much else to add, except go into this with a positive attitude! Best wishes for a simple surgery and an uneventful recovery! Remember the “ates” - elevate, medicate and “ refrigerate” ( ice, ice, ice)!
 
@sequin98: I'm trying to play the week off with "normal" events - movies, lawn work, work work, etc. - so I don't think about it too much. It's a little intimidating how potentially life-changing this could be. I'm trying to limit my expectations so I'm not disappointed, but even a moderate improvement in ROM will such a monster difference in my life that it's almost mind-blowing. So thanks - I'm pretty excited, too!

@Thesoutherncook: thanks so much for the reminders - we just bought 3 more ice packs to be ready. Ultimately I think the hardest thing for me is going to be patience (hat tip to @Mojo333). My glorious and magnificent wife knows my tendency to overdo and then suffer for it, so I've promised to back off any time she gives my enthusiasm the side-eye.
 
By the way, a question for you experienced hipologists: got any recommendations for ice packs? I've been buying the little 5" x 10" gel packs, but I know some of you guys (@rainmaker for one) use the bigger ones. I thought you'd just ... sit on it - is that naive? Do you have a way of wrapping it around the hip to take advantage of all the extra surface area of the bigger packs?
 
got any recommendations for ice packs? I've been buying the little 5" x 10" gel packs, but I know some of you guys (@rainmaker for one) use the bigger ones.

I bought mine from Amazon:

Amazon product ASIN B06XC8822B
Comes with a cover and velcro straps so you can tighten it round your waist and leg at the same time. It works well and keeps you cool for 20-30 minutes at a time.
 
@Bone-obo

You just go in thinking you're going to smash the recovery. No doubts, ifs or buts: your new life starts when they bring you round. Good luck friend! :yes!:
 
@Thesoutherncook: Bryson City? Cherokee? Sylvia? I used to ski/hike/kayak around there - beautiful area! Are you going into Asheville for your surgery?

@rainmaker & @Thesoutherncook: okay, I'm persuaded. I'll order one of the big packs and try it out - the velcro wrap/cover persuaded me. Bear in mind, I have no idea where, exactly, I'm going to wear it, but I figure it'll be intuitively obvious.
 
I guess I'm the resident scolder now:heehee:
But all done with concern as its important to know that your leg will be mending and hate to see folks trying to see how much they can do the quickest after surgery.
We all overdo to some extent, but knowing when to back off and ditching that "no pain, no gain" mentality will serve you well!
That hip will feel so much better almost immediately, so hard not to want to hit the ground running sooner than we should.

Just because we can, doesn't mean we should.
Want this to be my last replacement surgery !
 
Agree wholeheartedly with @Mojo333!! I visited the ODIC ( over did it club) several times with knees. Believe me, you WILL regret it! Slow and easy wins this “race” !

We're in Brasstown...tiny little dot on the map but home of the infamous John C. Campbell Folkschool. My surgeon is Dr. DeCook in Cumming, GA. Very well known and respected.
And he does this as outpatient!! Same as knee last summer.
 
Back
Top Bottom