TKR I'm back again

Welcome back! I've added you upcoming surgery to your signature!


To add to this, my right knee, whilst bending to a satisfactory level, (it doesn't like it but does it), is still uncomfortable to walk on (discomfort/pain about 2 out of 10. Like soft pressure on a bruise). My surgeon says this is due to the ligaments. I'm hoping this will improve in time?

I know it seems like a long time since your surgery, but remember that it look a long time for your leg to get bad. As our knees deteriorate, we make "adjustments" in our body's structural alignment to compensate for the pain. We start to limp, foot splay, etc. as the soft tissues are forced to adapt. But it happens so slowly over time that we may not even realize what's going on with our tendons, ligaments, etc. -- until surgery. Then, suddenly, those soft tissues have to adjust to our body's new improved alignment and we can experience pain all up and down the leg as they "correct" themselves.

Also, since your left knee is now in bad shape, righty is carrying an extra load. I think that, once you get through your left TKR you will notice gradual improvement.

I do get very tired. Is this due to still recovering do you think?
It could be. How is your nutrition -- are you getting enough protein? During recovery that body needs extra protein. Since you are now pre-op, you might want to check out our nutrition tips.
 
Thank you @benne68. It's encouraging to think my operated knee will improve. As for nutrition.......I have a bit of an eating problem. Started binging when I was 13 due to home/parents. It's dogged me my whole life. Have you heard the rhyme 'There was a little girl, who had a little curl, right in the middle of her forehead. When she was good she was very, very good, when she was bad she was horrid'. That's a bit like my eating. Mostly eating very well but other times it's dreadful. It's my 'go to' when upset, anxious, etc. I know comfort eating is common but mine goes off the Richter scale at times.

I hope you are recovering well from your TKR. I'm glad to be back on Bonesmart.

Oh, and should I be doing any exercises to prepare for my TKR in January?

Thank you.
 
One thing I never mentioned is that I had an Arthroscopy on my right knee about 12 years ago. I remember the surgeon telling me that the next time I saw him it would be for a TKR. When I asked a different surgeon about two years ago about having an Arthroscopy on my left knee he told me it was too far gone to have one. So I've had problems with both my knees for a very long time.
 
Oh, and should I be doing any exercises to prepare for my TKR in January?
Depends what you can manage. Gentle walking is good. Have a look at my pilates teacher's free side lying knee friendly glutes strengthening class ( Google Katja pilates glutes and it come up on YouTube). It has no squats and I did it before my PKR and it helped to keep my muscles stronger for later.
If you have a good physio/pilates teacher it might be worth seeing them for a session or two before your surgery to discuss a specific exercise/ muscles strengthening regime that doesn't aggravate your joints.
 
Mostly eating very well but other times it's dreadful. It's my 'go to' when upset, anxious, etc. I know comfort eating is common
I feel you! I've always been a "comfort eater" as well. Something that helped with nutrition during my pre- and post- surgery periods was using protein supplements. I started adding whey powder -- which has a cheese-like taste -- to all my soups and stews. I also stocked up on chocolate-flavored protein powder to add to my coffee and to use for smoothies. I'm a chocoholic, so it became my go-to when I needed a treat.

As with everything else about this journey, you just have to find what works for you!
 
It is helpful to do strengthening exercises for your upper body prior to surgery to help you cope with the walker, crutches or a cane in recovery. If you have access to a therapist, you could make an appointment, ask what would be most appropriate for you, and have them print off the exercises so you can do them yourself at home if you don’t want to actually go to the therapist.
 
I do get very tired. Is this due to still recovering do you think?
I think your fatigue may be due to the extra energy you're using as you're compensating for your ailing knee and painful hip. Especially if either is disrupting your sleep. Pain is physically draining. Hopefully once you have recovered a bit from your upcoming TKR your hip will stop aching, your body will adjust to the prosthetic and slowly but surely you'll feel like a new woman. :egypdance: Welcome back, Dolphin.
 
Thanks Layla. I've always been dogged with tiredness but do have very low blood pressure which probably contributes to this. I can't find any information about tiredness after a MUA. Recovery is apparently about 6 months overall but nowt about tiredness/energy levels.

My walking is getting dreadful. I'm going to start using a walking stick when walking the dogs, which I'm struggling with, but don't know which side to use it!!!!! I suppose the opposite side to my to-be-operated knee.
 
Hello Dolphin,
Low blood pressure does contribute to fatigue and weakness. You can also look at any medications you may be on, as well as diet. If you haven't had time yet, check out the Nutrition Tips that, benne68, left at the bottom of post number 461.
As far as the cane goes, you normally use the assistive device with the opposite hand of the painful or weakened limb. Since I'm assuming it's the left knee (upcoming TKR) making it difficult to walk currently, you should use the cane in the hand opposite that leg. It will hopefully help your balance and gait, also reducing the weight you put on your ailing (left) knee. Wishing you some restorative rest whenever you're able to get it. :sleep:
@Dolphin5
 
Thank you Layla. The problem with my walking is the right hip as well as the left upcoming TKR. I'll experiment with the stick in each hand. My average blood pressure is 95/90 over 65/60. The first time the physio came after my TKR when I got out of bed and they did my blood pressure it was 55 over 27. Needless to say I felt faint and had to get back into bed!
 
@Dolphin5 Be sure you stay extremely well hydrated. Dehydration can contribute to those extreme dips.

I also deal with lower-than-average blood pressure. In fact, they've kept me in the hospital overnight after each surgery because my BP drops so low. A nurse friend of mine advised me to "over-hydrate" to help keep my BP from dropping. It's made a big difference -- I rarely have those dizzy episodes when getting up from prone any longer.

Give it try.
 
I had my pre op assessment yesterday. When being measured I stood on my longer leg. I was amazed and very pleased to have gained 1 and a half inches in height. Having been 5'10" from the age of 13 until a few years ago, and then finding I was only 5'6", I'm so pleased to now be 5'7 1/2. May sound silly to some people but it's nice to have read regained that height. It also shows why my walking is such a struggle with my legs being such different heights. Hoping to have nice straight legs after my op in a few weeks time. Though I know it'll take time and lots of exercises.
 
That doesn't sound silly at all, Dolphin. One more surgery to go, a month from today, and then things should finally be even. Wishing you comfort as you await January 18th.
@Dolphin5
 
Stopping by to say Hi, Dolphin, and see how you're doing with surgery coming up quickly now. I hope you're hanging in there with dreams of brighter days ahead. My wish is that this TKR helps you get back to all you love without the discomfort and pain of deteriorating knees.
Just noticed the 18th is on a Sunday. Is your surgery next weekend?
@Dolphin5
 
Hi Layla. Thanks for thinking of me. Yes it's this Sunday. Not looking forward to it but I AM looking forward to being able to walk again properly and without pain. A bit anxious about whether I'll have the same problems as with my other knee with bending it but I've got a brilliant surgeon who did the MUA last June and is well aware of potential problems. He's assured me he'll not be hurrying me out of hospital. Si lucky to have him. A genuine caring man
 
Having faith in your doctor is half the battle! You learned from your last knee, and shouldn't be as anxious this time around. We're always here for you!
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom