TKR I'm back again

I would also think the sit to stands you are doing could put extra pressure on your foot and possible broken toe. If it was me, I’d take a break from them and make taking care of the toe my first priority, just in case it actually is broken.
 
Agree with @Jamie to get toe checked out if the pain isn't improving in a couple of days. Also need to keep an eye out for inflammation/ redness/any signs of infection. Circulation can be poor after surgery so important to be vigilant.
 
Hi all. I took your advice and got the toe checked out. The x-ray showed that nothing is broken. The nurse told me that the recent op will cause the foot to swell up more readily if there's an injury. He said it'll be soft tissue injured and it's fine to walk the dogs. It is a relief as it's still very painful. That's ok now I know I'm not doing any permanent damage by walking.

My next physio is in 4 and a half weeks. I'll let you know then how it's all going. Still get very tired which depresses me at time. I'm not finding it easy getting older and being less mobile!

The heel slides are just the same. Gaining the extra two inches on the 2/3 rep. I wish the knee would already be an inch or so further back when I start them. It's all taking forever to improve.
 
Hi Dolphin, I'm glad you had it checked, thankfully it's not broken and you can still take the dogs for walks.
Still get very tired which depresses me at time.
Normal. Give it more time. Your body is still healing.

I'm not finding it easy getting older and being less mobile!
Better than the alternative though...right? :wink:

It's all taking forever to improve.
You are making progress and that's a good thing! :thumb:
I hope you have a nice week! :SUNsmile:
 
This is great news about your poor toe. If it hurts, try taking some paracetamol….1000mg up to 4 times a day. The swelling will decrease faster if you keep the pain under control. I’m glad you’re able to walk your dogs.
 
It's good news that your toe isn't broken. Of course, that doesn't mean it's not painful! I broke my little toe years ago, and I remember that pain and inconvenience. Like mendogal said, ice that baby!
 
Thank you all. I can't believe it's still hurting ten days later. Pain not a problem now I know I'm not damaging it. Not easy icing a pinkie toe !!
 
Hi Dolphin,
You might want to try an Ice Water Soak, if you feel you can tolerate it.
Not easy icing a pinkie toe!!
Fill a small container that your foot fits in with cold water and add some ice cubes. May be worth a try?
Sorry it's still hurting. I hope it eases soon for you.
 
Hi everybody. My subscription ends in a few days and I've decided not to renew it. I just wanted to thank you all for your support, advice and encouragement. So appreciated.

Not much improvement. My little toe still hurts 3 weeks on . But more importantly my knee is not gaining any more ROM. I'm doing the heel slides twice a day. Still doing 10 reps and holding each one for 15 seconds. I get the extra 2 inches at the 2/3 rep but hours later I'm back to square one! It's 2 months since the MUA/keyhole surgery. Any last thoughts please?

I'm on the list for my left knee to be done sometime next year so will probably rejoin then.
 
Hi Dolphin, I’ve been following your progress as I’m on a similar path to you. I had my TKR last December, had MUA in April and now booked in for a keyhole/MUA in October. I would like to wish you all the best and hope your left knee operation is more straightforward.
 
@Cazza70 Hi and Welcome!

We recently implemented a new membership program and there are new Guidelines for Posting. You are currently a Basic Member, which enables you to search the forums, and read about other recoveries.

If you want a more involved experience I hope you will choose one of our subscription options so you can start a recovery thread, and receive one-on-one personal support to quickly answer any questions or concerns you may have. We are a non-profit organization and the small subscription cost goes toward keeping BoneSmart available for everyone.

Best Wishes! :flwrysmile:
 
Two months since your MUA procedure. Sorry you won't be renewing as an Insider, Dolphin. We've appreciated your support. You can still make gains with ROM more than two months post MUA so don't lose hope. Stretching and mobility should help. Keep doing what you're doing and check in once in awhile with an update. We'll be here. :)
Wishing you a nice rest of the Summer.
@Dolphin5

@Cazza70
Welcome to BoneSmart! We will create a signature for you with the information you provided above. Please identify which knee was replaced and give us an exact date of your TKR and MUA. Since you're facing an additional procedure with your knee, I hope you'll consider the Insider membership for the best level of support including all of the resources a Basic membership does not have access to. Please join us!
 
@Dolphin5 …. You’re still a BoneSmartie as a Basic Member. Please let us know how you’re doing once in a while as you continue to work on your recovery. You can always post updates on your right TKR here in your recovery thread. We want to know how you’re doing.
 
Hi Dolphin,
It's been a month since the Arthroscopy and MUA.
Hope things are going well and wishing you the best. Happy September…hope its a good one!
@Dolphin5
 
Hi all. I've just rejoined. I'm not sure how to get back with my original threads. A reminder that I had a RTKR 15 January. I'm could never get ROM beyond 45o despite doing absolutely everything I was supposed to do. I eventually had a MUA 1 June. The (fantastic) surgeon told me he'd got my knee to 90o. This didn't tally with the PT's measurements 2/3 weeks later which said 78o. However my ROM slowly improved (doing heel slides meticulously) and I signed myself off a few months later with the knee at 98o. Since my left knee needs replacing I asked him to measure it. Only 102o. As my surgeon told me, I simply have stiff knees. I started driving again a few weeks after the MUA, nearly 5 months after the TKR in January, which opened up my life again.

Currently my left knee is appalling. The x-ray from over a year ago showed half the knee being bone on bone. It's much worse these days, much worse. I'm having it replaced on 18 January. The last few months I walk my dogs 40 minutes daily. BUT it's getting very difficult. As a result of my RTKR my knee is straighter than I can ever remember. This is obviously good, but it means my leg is now much longer than my left leg. This is making me lopsided when walking. My left foot is also jutting out a lot. So I now have pain in my right hip, especially in the groin. Since I had my hips replaced about 19 years ago I'm not sure whether my hip is going to need replacing or whether the pain is a result of my legs being different lengths.

To add to this, my right knee, whilst bending to a satisfactory level, (it doesn't like it but does it), is still uncomfortable to walk on (discomfort/pain about 2 out of 10. Like soft pressure on a bruise). My surgeon says this is due to the ligaments. I'm hoping this will improve in time?

I do get very tired. Is this due to still recovering do you think? I'm sure I had more energy prior to my TKR in January. It depresses me.

I'm wondering if I should try and get an x-ray done on my hip or wait until after my LTKR in January.

Thank you for reading this lengthy thread. As always, I appreciate your time.
 
I'm not sure whether my hip is going to need replacing or whether the pain is a result of my legs being different lengths.

I'm wondering if I should try and get an x-ray done on my hip or wait until after my LTKR in January
I had terrible hip pain before my PKR which disappeared after my leg was straightened.
I also had quite significant apparent leg length discrepancy which also disappeared when my leg was straightened.
I would probably wait until after your LTKR.
Even if a hip Xray showed damage it could still improve clinically if your gait improves.
I have significant hip arthritis and I had a hip bursa before my PKR. I can only assume that once the leg was straight it no longer continued to irritate and inflame my hip and the bursitis eased.
To add to this, my right knee, whilst bending to a satisfactory level, (it doesn't like it but does it), is still uncomfortable to walk on (discomfort/pain about 2 out of 10. Like soft pressure on a bruise). My surgeon says this is due to the ligaments. I'm hoping this will improve in time?
I had a very overstretched MCL due to being very knock-kneed before my PKR. I did continue to have some residual pain for several months after surgery. It did improve gradually with glute strengthening exercises/pilates once I was able to do this.
Once your legs are both straight and you have recovered from your second surgery you can gradually work on trying to strengthen the muscles to improve any residual tendinopathy.
It is unfortunately the case that any imbalances in gait/ leg length will impact on other joints and tendons.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom