Guest viewing is limited

TKR I'm back! 2nd TKR, huzzah..

Another small update, I'm now 20 days post op, and had a very interesting physio session today . My physio decided to try to encourage extra quad activation today, having observed that in a closed chain scenario I have full extension, but not in an open chain, so he elected to try blood flow restriction to encourage hypertrophy in my misfiring quad. Well when I tell ya the pain was something else, it was something else. He stopped and released me from the torment after roughly 20 extension reps. I feel more of this is in my future, and having read up on it afterwards, seems to be a good option. Had a really good day today generally, after a poor one yesterday, the swings and roundabouts of recovery from this are quite the thing. Onwards and upwards! Golf by August? Watch this space.
 
Hmm, never heard of this before, coddle. I need to do some research myself.
the swings and roundabouts of recovery from this are quite the thing.
True!
[Bonesmart.org] I'm back! 2nd TKR, huzzah..

I'm betting you'll be able to handle a round on the course by August. :thumb:
Thanks for the update...keep us posted!
 
Week 3 done , a nice milestone yesterday when I managed a rotation or two on the bike (my regular road bike, on a turbo trainer). Had it set to zero resistance and went forwards and back a few times, eventually a rotation happened before I realised it! Took me till week 6 at least last time out, so flexion doing fine. Off all pain meds as of Saturday, so experienced a few random shots of discomfort. Slept well last few days. Here's the two side by side for comparison! Still a bunch of swelling, so will be doubling down on ice and elevation this week.
17187.webp
 
Sounding good! :thumb:
Doing good!:egypdance:
Looking good! :ok: Incision is healing nicely. Keep it up!
The icing and elevation does help. I spy a furry friend sniffing around over in the corner. :dogsniff:
Happy Monday!
 
It's always exciting and almost scary the first few rotations. You know the mantra, slow and steady.

Icing will certainly help with some of the swelling and with any pain you might be having.
 
Hi coddle,
Happy One Month Anniversary! (to date)
Hope your weekend treated you well...wishing you a great week to come!
@coddle
 
Week 5 done, a good one generally - saw the surgeon yesterday, he's very happy - xrays showed a lovely in line prosthesis, swelling down A LOT this week. Had physio before the appt with the surgeon, glute bridges and sit to stand with the injured knee doing 70% of the work - these were tough but doable. Crutches gone, back to work, walking largely limp free unless I forget, stairs a doddle, sleep still a bit disturbed but much better. Big breakthrough this week mentally was the recovery around the knee itself, way less internal pain or nerve pain now, which in turn is very helpful with the sleeping positions etc. It never rains but it pours in my household though, snuck my daughter into my appt with the surgeon to check her knee as she had an ACL repair 3 years ago and reinjured it playing rugby - turns out her graft has blown and she'll need a revision, so I won't get rid of the gameready just yet!!!!!!!

Onwards for me, backwards for her, at least she can see that life doesn't end just because your knees are knackered....
 
I'm so sorry to read about your daughter's upcoming revision. I pray it goes well.

It sounds like you are doing splendidly! Reduced swelling at your stage is above the curve! It's so good to hear how well you are doing.
 
It's always nice to receive reassurance from the OS that all looks well and he's happy with your progress. You're doing great, coddle! Sorry you had to hear that your daughter needs a revision while you were there. Hopefully her recovery will go as smoothly as yours seem to be. Wishing you both the best!
@coddle
 
You’re doing great @coddle and it’s so encouraging for others to read. Neat scar too. You’re 24 days ahead of me. I’m still in the trenches, with that deep gnawing bone pain (no opioids) but I know brighter days are ahead. Thank you.
 
Week 6 done,, flew to Ireland on holiday, flight was fine but the combination of flight, airport travel, then a 2 hour car journey knocked me back for a few days. I've been into the sea swimming twice, but each sea trip brings a reaction so doling out only small doses of swims to ease that. Very excited to see the flexion improvement, I'm well over 110 degrees now and 0 deg extension. Ongoing sleep issues persist, but having 3 good sleeps for every 1 bad one. This knee is very different to the first one and I remain very optimistic for the next few months!
 
That's a lotl for 6 weeks post-op, so it's not surprising that you felt fatigued! You are still early days.

Happy to read that you are noticing improvement in your range of motion and that sleep is improving.

Enjoy your holiday!
 
The good ol ODIC (Over Did It Club)
Sorry for your delay there. Seems like we all pass through at least once on our recovery journey.
Thankfully you have three good sleeps for every bad one, hopefully keeping you from feeling sleep deprived.

You're doing well for only 6 weeks post op. Go s-l-o-w now, to go fast later.
Hope you enjoyed, or are enjoying Ireland and thanks for stopping by, coddle.
Have a good week! :)
@coddle
 
That’s a lot @coddle, still life is to be enjoyed and sometimes the time spent in the ODIC is worth it. Your just six weeks out of 52 recovery. Rest well now you’re home,
I’m just starting week 4.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well and sleep continues to improve for you, coddle.
Wishing you continued healing and many more milestones ahead. Good things still to come! :thumb:
@coddle
 
Bit of a gap in reportage, which is sometimes good to get a bounce in progress. We're nearly at 10 weeks post op, flexion is brilliant, only a few degrees behind my 3 year old knee. I'm able to stand on one leg to put socks on (which is like my self test). Sports wise, played 9 holes of golf yesterday from a buggy, next test is to walk 3 holes or so with the electric trolley.....I'm really enjoying physio this time around, up to 1leg 45kg leg press reps and 20 kg 1 leg leg extension repping - my physio is MUCH BETTER than last time as he's hyperfocused on extension and not overdoing it, which in turn is making my progress faster. I'm pretty confident I'll be fully back to rotational sports by October, with full speed golf swings by end Aug (currently swinging at maybe 75% effort). Most days now I'm walking between 5 and 9k steps, thats allowed me go back to walking our puppy at least....so I'm no longer totally useless around the home. Looking forward to continuing the steady progress made the last 3 weeks!
 
Glad to read that you are doing so well and feeling so positive about your continued recovery. Please continue to share your progress. It's great for others to read success stories!
 
Wow, you are doing quite well for being only a little over 2 months out! Whatever you are doing, it's working for you! That's the key...do what works for you!
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom