Guest viewing is limited

TKR I'm 2 years out - Hooray

@ Jamie. I take oxicodone 5 mg 1 tab every 6 hrs, as needed. Max 4 tablets and also OxyContin 10 mg 2x a day for pain. In rehab I was taking the oxicodone every 4 hrs. When I was discharged 1/31 the drs there wanted me to cut back on the oxicodone to 6 hrs instead of 4 but I usually take it every 4-41/2 hrs apart. I also take 5 mg of Xanax for sleep which isn't working as well as it used to before my surgery. How does that sound to you?
 
So im curious now ! Which week for you was the most painful ?? How was week 1 ? Overall surgery went well ? Or a nightmare ? Have you done extensive research before the tkr , other than having multiple hip and shoulder surgery ? It could be your meds, maybe too much activity. Its a fine line. One best served with tons of ice and proper elevation. I personally have cut back on my oxy, too many terrifying dreams, appetite lose, cotton mouth and a overall tired feeling. But literally first week pain free. Now a constant throb hovering at 2 maybe3. Ill live with that cause prior to surgery I imagined uncontrollable pain that had me rolling on the floor , pulling my hair out screaming WHY GOD WHY. Well that never happened . I have 12 weeks to go back to work so patience will be my virtue. Hope you have a positive and informative visit with your OS. I dont get much sleep either , its part of the combo pack . Bye
 
he knee is such a complex joint and many, many things are impacted when the surgeon goes in and messes with bones and soft tissues. The cutting, hammering, and moving things around....not to mention the "test" bending and movement of your leg. I'm telling you, there is a LOT to recover from.

Yes, and the more you try to do---even with PT's orders and such, the more the knee will shut down and let you know it does not like what is going on.

I agree---i believe that you are doing a bit too much. We want to be pro-active and get busy with our lives, and that, sometimes, leads to doing a bit too much and causing the knee to fight back. I would also cut back on your PT sessions---three to two---it is OK to take a break every now and then---and I would not ride the bike as much. Gently work the knee and I believe that you will get better results with much less aggravation.

Remember, this recovery gig takes quite some time, and it is not a race---it is like running a marathon. A good marathon runner knows when to slow the pace down, and that is what you have to do, I think.
 
See? It is not just me that thinks you need to: JUST REST.

I have been going to physical therapy since 1985 for various body parts. I don't know what has happened to Physical Therapy - it used to be kind and gentle - now Physical Therapy has become so aggressive. And when one PT does something, they all think they have to do the same thing.

It will take a year+ to completely recover from this traumatic surgery. Healing progression will come slowly in stages - not all of a sudden.

I just hate aggressive PTs. Most of them have never had surgery themselves and just don't get it.

Take care of yourself. This is a good time to pamper yourself.
 
I personally love E Stim and it most definitely relieves the pain in MY leg. My opinion on massage is also quite different as well. I think a person should do what works for them.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
Thank you all for your informative advice. I'm waiting on a call from drs office. I'm having such mixed emotions about PT especially the massaging part. I love the elec stims, that in itself is the best part of PT although I have my own set. I am having second thoughts about the massaging. First time it felt so good, but I'm not sure what the purpose is since I can do this myself. And you all are right. The exercises that I do there I can do at home, the rocking on the bicycle pedals feels good. Since it's 1 pm here I got up at 8:30 am with pain, took pill and iced back to bed for 4 more hrs. And repeat pill, ice, elevate. I'm beginning to think this is going to be my life.
Will keep you all posted. Definitely not a happy camper :(
 
Just received call from doctors office. Since he's in surgery I spoke with the PA. When I described my symptoms she said everything I'm feeling is so normal since only 5 weeks out. Continue with PT but have him ease up on massaging and exercise, still on fence about that. Also said because of so much inflammation to start taking Advil . That a lot of this is soft tissue pain.
Decided to take a pill, ice ,elevate and too sleep. As Scarlett said there's always tomorrow
 
@Billy. Nice to know nor alone. Pain getting unbearable. I guess I really have no pain tolerance at all
 
That drug too addicting,,,plus bad withdrawls. I take it in liquid form when I have bronchitis...if I take too much start itching...
 
I was concerned about this as well, I know there is a huge issue with addiction, just does not do anything for me other than pain, which I'm so happy about!!!
 
Folks.....please remember that there is a HUGE difference between drug addiction and drug dependence. When you take pain medications for real pain, you MAY develop a physical dependence on the drug. That means when you are far enough in your recovery to start spreading out the dosages, doing that will reduce the dependency gradually and you will have few or none of the symptoms you might get if you just stopped taking it all of a sudden. Unless you are a person with substance abuse issues, you do not become addicted to the meds (situation where you crave them when you are not in pain and require more and more to get the same feeling).

If you're in pain, you need something to help you. Your doctor has many choices. There are things you can take if a particular pain med makes you itch or sick at your stomach.

More information can be found in this BoneSmart Library article:

Myth Busting: Getting Addicted To Pain Medication
 
In the words of my OS: "If it hurts, stop doing it. If it doesn't hurt, it is probably OK."

Listen to Jamie.

It will get better. In this case, TIME is the best healer.
 
The PA is smart--agrees with the Bonesmarties! :heehee:
I don't think they ever had me do 30 repetitions of anything when I was in PT. Probably only 10-15 at a time. Now at some point they told me for home exercises to do the 10 repetitions twice a day. Also they told me if you feel miserable after doing exercises for more than a couple of hours you've done too much and do less the next time.
 
Ok so I listened to my PA who said to go to PT. I sucked it up put on a brave face and went to therapy today. I told my therapist he needs to lighten up on massages. He's too rough his answer was I want to get your leg moving. My reply it will when it's ready too. So after the very light touching massage to get fluid moving I did some light stretches one was putting my leg up on wall and sliding down. It actually felt good. Still did bike rocking motion and quad stretches which started to hurt so I stopped. Just got home and actually feel pretty good. Going to ice and elevate and take some more Advil which helps with pain more than the oxi.
To be continued.......thanks for all your support. :)
 
30 push knee in mat for quad strength
30 leg lifts with roller under knees
bike for 9 mins just rocking motion not full rotation

in sitting position use good leg to push log leg back and hold
then he did the new stretch where I was sitting on edge of table and he pushed my leg back for more movement.
30 reps of these is far too much at one sitting. You should do 10 then rest for at least 5 minutes and then do 10 more.
The last two should only be done 2-3 times and then only to the point of discomfort, NEVER to pain.
Also said because of so much inflammation to start taking Advil
Have you tried taking Tylenol 1,000mg as I suggested? (only up to 4 times in any 24hr period)
spoke with the PA. When I described my symptoms she said everything I'm feeling is so normal since only 5 weeks out. That a lot of this is soft tissue pain.
Absolutely right! My worst period was weeks 5 and 6.
So after the very light touching massage to get fluid moving [then] some light stretches one was putting my leg up on wall and sliding down
And do either of these cause you pain? Because you know they shouldn't. To the point of discomfort - fine. But never to the point of pain. If it does, say NO very loudly and firmly!
 
@Josephine the 30 leg lifts were 15 on one leg then I rested and 15 more it wasn't so bad. We worked on more stretching exercises, nothing too physical and he knew if he hurt me I would definitely regain my rom rather quickly to kick him! I don't have Tylenol in house just ecotrim and Advil, the Advil works great I wish I had started it earlier. What a difference.
Thanks for your concern. This really has been the worst week..hoping week 6 will be better....crossing my fingers for that one
Good night all. Peaceful sleep.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom