TKR I'm 2 years out - Hooray

Glad to hear you had a good PT session. Don't be afraid to stick up for yourself! Remember: We are behind you.

~Annie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Is there really such a difference between Tylenol and Advil. Isn't Advil more of an anti inflammatory??
 
I am not a doctor. Josephine is a Nurse - an experienced, caring, compassionate nurse. And if you recall, she asked you in Post #179 to give Tylenol a try. Please see BoneSmart Library Article: "Medications: Tylenol/Ibuprofen Cocktail".<<<<<<<<<<<

As I said: I am not a doctor. But Tylenol works much better for me. Everyone is different. For me, I can only take Ibuprofen once in a while because it causes too many bad side effects taken on a long-term basis - for me. Everyone is different. ALSO, according to the FDA, you can only take 4,000 mg per day (4 x 1,000) of Tylenol. AND the FDA just lowered that to 3,000 mg per day. So you have to take your pick. For ME, Tylenol is the way to go. PLEASE read the BoneSmart Article I referenced in the previous paragraph. See if it works for you.

In the US of A, it is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH less expensive to get Tylenol generically - Acetaminophen is the same thing. I always buy generic Acetaminophen.

Susanne, are you elevating?!?!? NO cheating! Elevate! Elevate! Elevate! You can do this! You are a tough lady! Look at everything you have already been through. You can do this!

(This has been a pep talk.)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am having good results with Tylenol also. I am unable to take any NSAIDS, including Advil because I have previously developed stomach ulcers from years of Meloxicam use.
I was pleasantly surprised at the Tylenol working as well as it does. You are right in that advil is considered an anti inflammatory...but for whatever reason, the Tylenol does seem to do the trick.
I figure pretty much everything is worth a shot, lol...but not everything works for everyone. I am the biggest example of this with my lack of elevating. I was only ever able to do it a few times comfortably. My Dr visit yesterday once again reinforced my belief that every single person in the world does not need to elevate. I honestly was made to feel horrible by others because I just must be doing it wrong if I had pain when elevating. I now know that this is n not true!! Do what you know/feel is best for you.

Sounds like pt was decent also. Good for you and telling the therapist what you expect. I hope you have a restful weekend. Maybe we will get through the next few days without any snow! We had the most intense thunderstorms here last night. It was amazing! I can’t recall ever experiencing anything like it in February before!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
Susanne, six weeks starts Monday for me, week five had its ups and downs, swelling mainly, pain on and off. Last night, no aleve, no pain pills, nothing, made it through the night, still looking for that comfort zone. Like you I look forward to each week going by with steady improvement. I'm so glad I took 12 weeks off when I thought six would be sufficient. Hang in there, slow and steady, but of course easier said than done. :) More cold weather next week, YUK
 
Add me to another testimonial for acetaminophen (tylenol) for post op pain.
 
Just to clear up my PA recommended Advil for anti inflammatory purposes. Tylenol never helps me. For years I lived on Advil and of course developed ulcers on esophagus along with GERD ugh!! The specialist I saw put me on meds and everything cleared up perfectly. I now take meds for my stomach which is a miracle and have not taken Advil for about 6 years.
So I began 2 days ago 2 gel caps 4x day and it not only helps with pain takes down the inflammation too . So yes feeling better day after rehab
And I elevate non stop..... I think my wedge and I are an inseparable duo....ice and wedge perfect marriage.
Thanks again for all your support.
Beautiful day in NY the sun is actually shinning... Hurting my eyes when I look out window...something we haven't seen here in a long time. Hope it stays like this but just heard forecast calling for snow Wednesday :(.
 
Why is it that after about an hour, just starting to get comfy, log leg elevated, kitty sleeping along side me then wham sharp pain hits on top of knee?? Then to top that off have to get up because even though I am so cold and under blankets, gel ice pack now feels like 5 lbs of hot gel weight on top of my knee
Just can't win!!!!
 
I've had that same pain but only with my left knee! It really is a jolt, isn't it? I figured it has something to do with nerves that were cut... and it fades pretty quickly.

No kitty here lol but going thru menopause so it stinks when a hot flash hits in the midst of icing. Half of me welcomes it - the wrong half :-)

Not sleeping well tonight. Watching The Matrix and playing Pet Saga. Don't understand either one hehehehe
 
Good PT day...not only did he new new stretch Got a great neck massage bc he knew I wouldn't last long in the position he put me in...he watched me walk thru the area without and aides I bumped into table and veered a little off the straight and narrow course. I guess I'll be using my walker a little while longer when I'm out and about...
 
I'm happy for you. Way to go! Each day it gets better and better. Second follow up with the OS, this Thursday, hope to get a good report.
 
Good luck. Mines next Thursday. Only good things
 
6 weeks and 3 days since surgery. Why does my knee still hurt in different places. Sometimes pain radiates down to ankle... I sleep ( who am I kidding) with ice pack and about 4 hrs later have so much pain on too of knee..like someone is tapping on it. Get more ice and wake up 4 hrs later with sharper pain. Ice helping still taking pain meds. Have dr appt next Thursday. Isn't this supposed to get better now. Yesterday went out shopping with my sister for about an hr and half then a visit to mom another 1/2 hr there. Then home to ice. I don't think I'm doing too much. Maybe not enough??
 
Knee still painful spent day icing and elevating. Am I doing something wrong. Don't know why all this pain is here,mostly on top if knee cap....
 
par for the course, unfortunately. You'll have new & varying degrees of pain for a while yet. It's all part of the fun! :groan:I promise it will get better, but 6 weeks is really early in the grand scheme of things. Josephine said her worst week was #6. I'm 10 weeks and although my pain is lessening (finally) it's still there. It moves around and is different throughout the day. I've stopped trying to figure out why it is; i'm trying to accept the fact that it just is. and it's annoying! :) keep up with the icing and elevation and gentle stretches. you'll get there!! :console2:
 
DogLover is absolutely right. It's early. You're going to have pain for a while when you overdo things. And 2 hours out and about CAN be too much at this early stage. Treat the pain with something (even a dose of 1000mg of Tylenol at 4-hour intervals with a max of 4000mg per 24 hours can help). Remember that you not only have the time out on your jaunts, but also the getting ready, riding in the car and sometimes sitting for a while in one position. All that contributes to the amount of "activity" you're doing. Please don't attempt MORE! That would just result in even more pain.
 
Thanks. I feel better hearing all this, can't wait for week to end. Problem now we are expecting another snowstorm and I guess that's affecting not only my knee but all other body joints. Would like to be able to go out, maybe wrap myself in bubble wrap for protection :)
Feeling a little better after reading all your replys. Now to try and get some sleep..good thing.ive been able to sleep for a short time on my side bad part rt side is the hip and shoulder replacements, left side knee. I just can't win and on top of that, since I'm overcompensating by using my good shoulder and hip for the leverage now those parts are hurting too
Trying so hard to be patient.....cabin fever getting to me
 
@susanne Another New Yorker here! Waving at you from Manhattan. (And am a retired sp ed teacher.) I'll be having TKR on Thursday, March 6th, and have been spending hours on this site. You and all the others on the "other side" have been so helpful and inspiring! In real life, I have friends who tell me of friends of friends of friends who have had this surgery and, two weeks later, are leaping over tall buildings! LOL It's good for me to read of the reality of what I'm in for. I see that progress is made by going forward, backward and then forward again. Eventually we'll get there!
 
Yesterday went out shopping with my sister for about an hr and half then a visit to mom another 1/2 hr there. Then home to ice. I don't think I'm doing too much. Maybe not enough??
What is your knee telling you? Yes, you are doing too much. While it seems like a long enough period of time, you are still rather early in the grand scheme of recovery. Listen to your knee.

While what you are doing seems innocuous, it is, in reality, too much for the surgical knee to deal with at this time. Cut back and keep the knee happy. Remember---a TKR recovery can take upwards to a year to be complete---you are at six weeks, so you still have a ways to go.

Maybe not enough??
Again---you have your answer---what seems like a long enough period of time is, in reality, just the "pre-game warmups." We all have done too much, and paid the price for it (my learning curve was rather lengthy!) Just remember to cut back and, when you do too much, you will pay for it in the achy, unpleasant feelings that the knee creates, which is its way of telling you that you are doing too much.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@McMimi good luck on your surgery...I keep thinking that after 25 years all this restraining and holding my out if control kids might have had such an effect on my joints,,,, where in Manhattan are you having your surgery?? I had mine at joint disease. Good luck with the surgery.

And yes I guess shopping is not in the cards for me yet. I'll have to resort back to online shopping sprees...I paid for this outing but good
Think I found a new secret to sleeping. Started to actually read a book. So I only got through 5 pages it was enough to put me to sleep

Thanks again everybody for your suggestions.
 
Back
Top Bottom