TKR I'm 2 years out - Hooray

@Billy. What part of Kentucky are you from. Have family in worthington
 
I just wish I had some sort of appetite....
With the pain meds and such, everything tastes "BLECH!" right now.

I remember those days---Thanksgiving was the worst---I looked forward to it so much---I could not go out, so I waited at home for some turkey and mashed potatoes with gravy. When my wife came back from the get-together with them---I could not wait.

Everything tasted lousy...
 
We live in Western Kentucky, a small lake community called Cadiz. Super nice in the Spring, Summer and Fall, cabin fever from November to March. I looked out the deck this morning and a Bald Eagle perched on a tree out in the water, so it is peaceful. Some of my reason why I choice January for th surgery. Did not want to be layed up during boating season. Love the lake life overall.
 
@ billy haven't been there ever family lives outside Ashland.
 
So they are on the other end of the state. After retiring it was a choice between Williamsburg, VA and Western Kentucky. So here I am
 
Last edited by a moderator:
12:30 am and wide awake. Very busy watching home remodeling shows hoping they will put me to sleep...my mind set is they are working so hard renovating houses I will be exhausted watching them.
So now besides my knee still throbbing I have terrible stomach cramps. Maybe I shouldn't have eaten that delicious cheese omelet 3 hours ago followed by tums and papaya pills.
Still feel like I'm going through this vicious cycle. Someone mentioned to me that after awhile you forget all the pains like when I had my first hip resurfacing tend to forget and remember the good. Wrong. I remember every moment of that torturous botched up surgery like it was yesterday and it's been 7 years. I just wish I could bend my knee back so I don't look like fester from gun smoke
Wishing everyone a peaceful nights sleep
 
So on the suggestion of a few friends who had tkr I bought a wedge for my legs.. Talk about finally getting comfortable, couldn't wait to throw all the pillows I had in the closet.
Log leg still bothering me since yesterday. Still have the throbbing knee cap now traveling down to ankle.
So my new wedge and I are now laying with ice pack gearing up for tomorrow's PT appointment. Hopefully no more snow in the forecast.
Be well everyone
 
I wish I would have bought oneof toe wedges, by the end of the night th 12 pillows are scattered everywhere except under my knee, PT at 1100 today. Good luck, finally warmer yesterday, fired up the grill, yeh!!! Hang in there
 
Another idea that one of my therapists taught me regarding how to move my "log leg" around, is to use your cane UPSIDE DOWN. Use the hook around your ankle to aid in moving your operated-on leg, until your quad muscles strengthen. You sort of use your cane like a shepard's hook. This idea regarding how to move my "log leg" helped me a lot.
 
So it's been almost 5 hrs since I came home from physical therapy and my throbbing log leg still throbbing.. Took another dose of meds when I got home . Iced elevated and tried to get comfortable. Thought maybe a nice shower would feel good....nope my knee is throbbing so badly I don't know where to put myself.. Sitting hurts, laying and elevating hurts,standing hurts.. I'm at the 5 week mark and so far this has been my worst day...have to wait to call dr. Tomorrow maybe an anti inflammatory or stronger pain pills. I know it sounds horrible but thru my crying I just want to hack my leg off. :(
 
You may simply be overdoing it at PT. It sounds like your leg is protesting and wants more rest. How often do you go to PT and for how long? What all do they have you doing at PT?

You may be simply doing too much at PT.

I "fired" my PTs because they hurt me really bad twice. Then I did my PT at home myself. At home I have: stretchy bands, weights, stairs, and a stationary bike. I figured I didn't need to go somewhere for someone to watch me exercise while they stood around gossiping about the latest fashion trends. Now that you have been shown how to do the exercises, just do them at home yourself. Plus, if you in the BoneSmarties' Library at the top of this webpage, you will a lot of exercises you can do at home yourself WITHOUT hurting yourself. That was what I did.

You have made it through 5 weeks!! We are not going to let you cut your leg off now!!

Ask your OS if you can fire your PT and promise you will do your exercises at home yourself.

Just rest. Remember: "Toes above your nose!" Elevate! Elevate! Elevate! Take care.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've been going 2x week but rx is for 3x week for I hr. First 15 mins is elect stim and ice, then he massages knee, then I start my exercises. 30X push knee in mat for quad strength, 30 leg lifts with roller under knees, in sitting position use good leg to push log leg back and hold, bike for 9 mins just rocking motion not full rotation, then he did the new stretch where I was sitting on edge of table and he pushed my leg back for more movement. That's it. Home ice and elevate.....
Is that the same kind of therapy you have over there???
Thus has been the worst night.
 
I'm sorry that you are having a really rough day. We are both right about the same time frame of 5 weeks post op. I see from many that this seems to be a hard stretch for some reason.
As @NuNe4Me said, maybe it's just a bit more than your knee can take.
I had a bad day last friday and my pt told me to go home and do absolutely nothing all weekend but rest and ice. So I did! I woke up Monday feeling like a different person...and today was my first pt since then. I have full confidence that the 5 day break was exactly what my knee needed.
I was so frustrated Friday I actually bawled to the hubby that I wished I'd never had the surgery. I'm learning day by day just how emotional this surgery actually is. Please know that you're not alone in this c*ap...
I hope tomorrow finds you in a better place.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
Holy cow! My pt is 3 x a week for 30 mins. Today I did 7 minutes on straight bike (don't know what it's called) then a few straight leg lifts and 12 with the bolster under knee with ball between knees. Then I ended with E Stim. We always end with that...I have done nothing like what you are doing! I would either be crying or punching your pt person! !

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
Sounds like it may be too much or your pains meds. are not working. you may need to rest your knee more. Sorry this is so painful for you.
 
Thanks everybody for your kind words and encouragement. There have been days I say I wish I never did this surgery. This is one of those days. Wow only 30 mins, that's like taking your coat off and then u have to leave. Will see what happens when I speak to doc. Next PT appt Friday
Cringing already thinking about it.
 
Susanne -
I think you are doing too much. If your leg is protesting that much, you are doing too much. If you dont feel comfortable firing your PT, at least cut back. Instead of going three times a week to formal PT, just go once a week. You can do some gentle stretches/exercises at home on the other days. Listen to your body. Listen to your knee- I think it is protesting. Just play hooky from PT for the rest of the week, stay home, and rest. You will need to call your PT and cancel your session so you dont get charged. Please just stay home and take a break.
 
I agree... Already cutting PT. Feel like I'm back in high school not going because I don't like my teacher. It's funny he was my therapist for my shoulder replacement and one of my hips. I've been going to these guys for over 10 years. This is the first time I really hate/ dread going
 
I know - I had no problem going to formal PT for my shoulder. But after I had my rtkr, it was like my PTs changed and they kept hurting me. I even yelled: "Stop!!"
 
Susanne, if it seems that recovery from this TKR is much more prolonged and difficult than a shoulder or other joint, it's because IT IS!!!! The knee is such a complex joint and many, many things are impacted when the surgeon goes in and messes with bones and soft tissues. The cutting, hammering, and moving things around....not to mention the "test" bending and movement of your leg. I'm telling you, there is a LOT to recover from.

You are doing too much. That's what the pain means. You need a lot more icing and elevation too. And possibly better pain medication. The throbbing is pain and most likely swelling.

Tell me what pain meds you took today when it hurt so bad? And are you on a regular schedule with your meds? If not, you need to be. It's far too early for you to start trying to cut back. You're only at about 5 weeks...VERY early in recovery.

Try not to get discouraged. Things will get better. But it's going to take a while. Progress with a knee replacement comes in weeks and months....not days.

I suggest you limit any exercise to 5 or 10 reps once every other day. Only do what you can do with just the mildest feeling of discomfort. Five minutes on the bike. And with any stretches do not allow them to be done beyond that feeling of mild discomfort. You have plenty of time to get your ROM. Right now, keeping pain and swelling at bay is the most important thing.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom