TKR I'm 2 years out - Hooray

Hi Susanne -
Truthfully, I didn't use our tub; I used our shower - very little step. I bought a plastic shower stool and placed it inside the shower stall. Plus we have a faucet on a long hose - the name at the moment just completely escapes me.

Also, unless you and your boyfriend are into mud wrestling and it is 90 degrees(F), you don't need to take a shower EVERY SINGLE day. That is just my humble opinion. I mean: how dirty can you get elevating and icing in bed? =)

How often do you go to PT? PT would just take all of my energy out of me! It would take me a day just to recuperate. I understand that exercises/stretches need to be done to get the healing to progress, but I think PTs are, most of the time, too aggressive. Unless you lay around all day in bed, life's responsibilities (you do get up to go to use the bathroom, don't you?) can be therapy in itself. Oh, I believe in therapy, but I think most PTs are too aggressive for us people who are healing after a traumatic TKR.

And I know most women..... I don't believe it when a woman says all she does is lay around in bed all day. Most women "help" their significant others with life's chores - that counts.

I went to formal PT for a month. I was hurt really bad twice. I came home, got on the computer to do some research to see if therapy is really suppose to hurt "that bad". That was when I found the BoneSmarties. I used the therapy exercises/stretches on the BoneSmart website - and I promptly fired my PTs.

I have had other surgeries in my lifetime. And I have lots of experience with "therapy". "Therapy" isn't supposed to hurt as bad as these current PTs are making it out to be. In my humble opinion, they are torturing people that have just had a TKR. (There are a few exceptions to every rule, even my rules.)

The #1 most important thing for you to do is: Elevate! Elevate! Elevate!<<<<< In my humble opinion, it is more important than icing. I think it is possible to ice too much (gasp!).

You have had a really rough go of it. You have the advantage of most others here because you have had other traumatic surgeries (you never thought of it as an advantage, have you?). But what I mean by that is you didn't have the misconception of your tkr being like replacing the battery in a flashlight: when the old one dies, just slide it out, and slide a new one in. You know, as I know, that surgery modifications (that is what my kids call them) aren't that easy.

Remember that fairytale where the tall, handsome prince comes riding in on a big, beautiful horse to rescue you? You know, as well as I know, that it just isn't true. You have to be your own hero.

You don't have the time, or the luxury, for a single negative thought.

Start thinking outside of the box. Yeah, consider what they taught you in therapy, but you and your boyfriend need to start thinking outside of the box. You never can tell what little idea might just make things a lot easier for you.

Oh, I wish you the very best... it will come. I am thinking of you, and praying for you. >>>>>Elevate! Elevate! Elevate!<<<<<

Yours,
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Jozilla. Unfortunately I have no grab bars...reason being is the people I bought co op from re did bathroom and neglected to put any drywall or wall for that matter in before they tiled whole bathroom. So now that the tiles are popping out all you see are 2X4s and the outside brick...one day when I have the money my dream is to redo this disgusting bathroom. So to get back to door I kind of hold on to them for leverage and the boyfriend. Not. Pretty sight look like abbot and Costello .
 
@NuNe4Me thank you for such an informative response you're so right we never get to just lay. Every time I'm up I hear can u get me.....while your up!! My hair stands on edge...
Today I just decided to take a walk with my trusty walker outside down the block. Felt desperate need for fresh air even though it's in 20 s here in NY. The walk was great ran into some neighbors and gossiped about weather what else.... That took a good 10 minutes. Came back in and guess what. Back in bed elevating with ice. Just feel it's the most comfortable place to be. Even sitting in a chair is uncomfortable for a short period of time.
Tuesday will hark 5 weeks since surgery. I'll have to change my thread title soon
Question. Does anybody know how much these body part replacements weigh? Hip,knee,shoulder.....wondering how much I can deduct from scale!!!
 
[Bonesmart.org] I'm 2 years out - Hooray
@susanne, not as much as you'd like for them to. Here's a link to a Library article that will answer your question: Weight of hip and knee prostheses

(Sorry I left the link off when I first posted. Silly me :blush:)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Can't help but to laugh at your comment about needing fresh air, I did the exact same thing, went outside and walked up and down the road just to break the confinement feeling.
 
@Billy. I feel like I should be in Florida walking with my walker, excerpt for sunshine and sandy beach I'm navigating ice and snow. But it did feel good to breathe air!
 
[Bonesmart.org] I'm 2 years out - Hooray Susanne -
I have an idea about navigating the bathtub: You know that one exercise of Josephine's that is using a stretchy band. Two stools/chairs would be needed for this. Put one seat right outside the tub. You could maybe use the stretchy band (or maybe your cane?) to move your leg over the side of the tub? Use a second seat in the bathtub (a shower stool?) - avoid getting down into the tub, sit on the shower stool - getting up out of the bathtub could be very difficult.

That is just an idea. We are all in this together! =)
 
@Jozilla. Unfortunately I have no grab bars...reason being is the people I bought co op from re did bathroom and neglected to put any drywall or wall for that matter in before they tiled whole bathroom......So to get back to door I kind of hold on to them for leverage and the boyfriend. Not. Pretty sight look like abbot and Costello .

Hey, you do what you gotta do. Remember: This TKR is temporary. Look at everything you have already been through. You can get through this.

Keep The Faith.
 
@NuNe4Me. U right gotta do what u gotta do. I thought maybe I could lift my leg up and over but I'm not a cirque du soleil wanna be. And you're right how dirty can u get laying between clean sheets everyday plus it's freezing here. I'd love to smash the bathtub and make a doorway like they have in the commercials. That would be ideal!!!
Thanks for suggestions
 
@bottomshollow are u sure about those weights. I held the hip replacement joint in my hand and it felt more than 2lbs, Funny when I wento into rehab they weigh you first wheelchair and all and I landed up gaining 10lbs!!! What, couldn't be. I ate nothing for 4 days while in hospital. The nurses said it's all fluids. Yikes!!!!.
 
@susanne, the info comes for Josephine, and I'm sure she knows whereof she speaks. And, yes, that weight gain is from fluids----the hospital gave you lots during surgery.
 
Susanne,
You should be feeling better soon, it seems things started to slowly get better around that time. I'm 17 wks. BTKR but the best advice I can give you is be patient, rest and try to relax and not stress about not sleeping. I didn't ice or elevate during the night but that worked for me. I also had problems with dizziness and I was advised to get up slowly.

I am a retired sp. ed teacher. I just retired after 38 yrs. and I am so glad to have this time to work on my knees. My husband is also retired and he helped me so much. I am feeling really good now.

I wish you the best of luck on your recovery. I am scared to walk in snow and ice. I was able to spend 2 wks. in Florida and that was great.

I also love to read and have read many books since my operation. That also helps me fall asleep.
 
@Twiggy. It's great that you are able yo retire. I've been teaching pre school special ed for 23 years. Not able to retire I work at a private school which has it's good and bad points, the bad not being able to retire.
Hoping to go to florida soon as my daughter lives in Tampa for the winter. I can't believe so many people who get both their knees done together. I just can't fathom what you all go thru with 2 knees let alone 1.
Thus weather here has been so horrendous that I just need to go outside to breathe fresh air. Are you on the east coasts. I'm in queens ny and just heard on radio another snow fall heading our way...
Feel good and it was nice to chat with you .
Susanne
 
@Twiggy. One more thing. As an avid reader I find it is so difficult to keep my mind set on a book. Can't seem to concentrate let alone a book with more than 3 characters. Before surgery a few girls and I started a book club, unfortunately never read the same book at same time. When we did finish a book we couldn't remember characters names it was the one with red hair or couldn't remember name of book.n at the time we were very interested in reading books about the holocaust both fiction and non fiction. That kept my attention. Then we had to stop for awhile because it was getting harder and harder to understand how vicious man is to each other. New changed for something light a few mysteries and all the books of my favorite authors. Now all I can do us plug in my kindle and try and remember which book I started last month . Hopefully I will be able to do this and actually read a book. By the way we are a few days apart birthday wise in the 22 of October.
Love meeting and making new friends on this site especially since we are all in the same place with body replacements. If you read mine this is the 4 th replacement I had including 1 do over.
I just hope I don't over comprise the good parts I have left.
Nice chatting with you
Susanne
 
So here I am, was feeling real good. 5 weeks tomorrow. We decided to go shopping just something small like a new refrigerator walked around store with my walker for about 10 minutes. Back in car for Next stop short walk into store to get soda bottle refills. Stop 3 went to bring my mom some food. Stayed 5 minutes because by this time my knee started to throb. When I got home, the pain was unbearable took meds ( took before I went out 4 hrs ago) grabbed my ice and crawled into bed to elevate and ice. Fell asleep on and off for2 getting, but pain continues. Throbbing, stabbing and so warm to touch. I thought by this time short trips would be good. The stores were within a 5 mile radius so it wasn't sitting to long I car. I thought walking around would be a good thing! Didn't think I overdid it but guess I'm paying for it now
So miserable. :(.
 
OK, so now you know a 4-hour trip right now is too much for you. Maybe try just a 3-hour trip next time?

And I have learned, the hard way, to take my next time of meds with me. Because it seems like when I plan the trip to be 3 hours long, something goes wrong, and I am stuck without my meds. So I have learned to take my next set of meds with me, so that way I don't panic.

Just a suggestion. Hang in there. It does get better.
 
The mind is stronger than the knee, maybe? I have the same issue you do. staying still!! I had surgery 01/13/14, five weeks today. Mind says go, knee says no! Saturday out shopping, out to eat, 4 hours, ouch, today, PT at 10:00 A:M, out to look at furniture, home at 2:00 P:M, ouch!,but overall getting better, we will win!
 
As an avid reader I find it is so difficult to keep my mind set on a book. Can't seem to concentrate let alone a book with more than 3 characters.
I took a book with me to the hospital, figuring that I would be able to get some good reading time in. No such luck!

When I was home recovering, the sub would send home essays for me to grade; I would grade four---maybe five of them at most---and then drop off to sleep. I gave up after a while, as I could not concentrate!
 
The mind is stronger than the knee, maybe? I have the same issue you do. staying still!! I had surgery 01/13/14, five weeks today. Mind says go, knee says no! Saturday out shopping, out to eat, 4 hours, ouch, today, PT at 10:00 A:M, out to look at furniture, home at 2:00 P:M, ouch!,but overall getting better, we will win!
 
I'm going a bit stir crazy. 4 hrs went so fast. Didn't realize out so long. I'll know better next time PT 2:30 so I'll be able to rest before and after. And now this is what I'm looking forward to. Best part some friends coming over for an Oreo cookie taste test. Will be trying out the new Oreos. I just wish I had some sort of appetite....well maybe for an Oreo I'll try to eat it!!! :)
 
Back
Top Bottom