TKR I'm 2 years out - Hooray

@susanne Thanks! I'll be at Hospital for Special Surgery. And how about sitting in (getting up from) those itty bitty pre-school chairs for doing something to our knees?! I've done a lot of pre-school observations for the turning 5's and rarely ever sat in an adult-sized chair. Ouch!
 
I know since I had 2 hip replacements I had the director of school get me a chair with wheels so I can sit and roll around from class to class
 
Sunday was my best friends daughters baby shower. How could I not go. I started having some anxiety/ panic attacks about leaving the comforts if my bed, thinking I'm gonna pay for this tomorrow . Meds taken, meds brought just in case. I wrapped my knee in cellophane an idea from a bs member and got all dressed up. This part felt good. Since I'm the official photographer at any friends milestone parties I clipped a tote bag and bell onto my walker. I brought ny Baggie for ice had 1 mimosa and had a fabulous time. When I got home I got into my Jammie's, grabbed my ice pack and took a pill climbed into bed. Felt pretty good, as I didn't realize I fell asleep for 3 hours...I'm such a party animal too much for me and it was at 12 noon.
So to make a longer story short I had a great time, great friends, great food and 1 great drink. So glad the panic attack subsided so I could enjoy this great time with my closest friend
P.s. Leg just a little stiff as this is my first wake up at 4:15 am. To get new ice pack, after laying with ice water the get pack feels heavenly. After suffering thru 3 hours of the oscars and 3 hrs of pre Oscar shows. You think I love movies,
Well trying for my second sleep
Good night or good morning depending on where you live.
I'm also hoping for a good PT session today perfect timing. :)
 
@referee. I think if I don't go out for an hr or so I'll definitely become a shut in and never want to leave my bed!! Went out yesterday and wasn't as horrific as I thought. Guess sitting at a party with my ice Baggie really helped. Plus 1mimosa for celebratory toasts.. Surprisingly not too bad! You scare me when u say 1 year for complete recovery. God thing I won't be rushing back to work, bad thing I'll never leave my bed. Just can't win thanks for ur concerns. My next venture out soon will be mani pedi. I'm sure ur real interested in that :)
 
Ok going on 7 weeks since surgery. The past 2 days have been horrible. My knee hurts so much, throbbing and now ankles hurt and swollen. All I have been doing is crying for no reason. Today was the worst it's PT day. I told him my leg was hurting and to be gentle which he was. Went thru with my exercises but didn't do as many as he told me. When I got home pain began going up my inner thigh felt like a muscle spasm. Iced and medicated. Now my knee is so stiff can't seem to bend it at all. Feels like a tight band around it with pin pricks going thru the top of knee. Doctors appt tomorrow. Hope he answers my long list of issues. Any comments. Is this normal?
 
Hi @susanne I'm at about 9'weeks and still not driving! My knee is still quite swollen, it is a different colour to my other leg. I did some damage to the muscles last week and I'm still recovering. Tried to go upstairs normally forgetting temporarily about knee until point of no return with full weight on bent operated knee. Hence muscle damage. Nightmare this is x I will look out for your post after you've been docs x good luck Susanne x x
 
I truly beleive some days are like hell and others are better for what ever reason, I still have that dreded tightness around the top portion of my knee and it drives me crazy. Today it feels fine, who knows about tomorrow? There is one thng that seems to help me for some reason when I'm on my feet, The TED stocking makes my knee feel so much better when I'm out and about. I asked the OS about this and she said sure, you don't needit but if it makes your knee feel better when up and about where it as much as you want. Probably won't wear it once short season gets here, LOL.. Hang in there!!!!!
 
Feels like a tight band around it with pin pricks going thru the top of kne

You sound just the way I did. If there is one thing I can say to help you, its think long term for recovery. Then if you get there quicker its a bonus. I did the exact opposite. I worked out the average recovery period and got myself so upset when I took longer. My op was straightforward. I've had no set backs. But it is only now (just over 12mths) that I can honestly say that my knee is beginning to feel normal. I've had that tight band thing all the time. Today I had a walk in the sunshine - and guess what? The tight band was not nearly as tight.
 
I am at 12 weeks and it will get better!! I cannot believe the difference in how I feel. Hope all went well for you at your doctor visit today. Keep us updated!
 
@Jozilla, While I think my recovery is going pretty well, it was good to hear that it is going to get even better. I am at 5 weeks today and even though I was reading everything on bonesmart before surgery, I thought my recovery would go much faster. Rough night last night but much better today.
 
Hi everybody. Doctors appt went very well. Sat with his PA first with my list of questions and issues and of course started to cry. All my questions were answered with that's normal ex tightness, pounding,freezing,pain all around knee, no feeling in left side of knee , knee buckling and a new issue, feels like muscle spasm in upper thigh. and since I'm only 7 weeks out I should stop beating myself up that I'm doing great . When dr came in ( also family friend) first thing he said was lose the walker I was horrified!!! Not my walker.... I told him I only use it when I go out ( which is not too often) cause I'm afraid I'll slip. He said use the cane...also need to strengthen quad muscles more and to remain active as possible ...much better in long run...don't just lay around that I need to move. Told him it hurts if I do too much walking. Reply that's when u ice and elevate.,,also told me to dangle leg and push back with good leg to increase motion. Left happy and tired but with a more positive outlook and just a little teary eyed. especially since he upped my meds. Best part as I was leaving asked office manager if I can fly...her response are you on drugs???? I meant go on a plane to visit my daughter. Office girls hysterical....left with my squeaky walker to go home and ice. Next appt 7 weeks. Guess I won't be going to work for a little while longer
Thank you everyone for your kind words and compassion. No one really knows what it feels like except those of us who are going thru it.
 
Hi Susanne,
I am glad your appointment went well and you came out feeling more positive. I can't imagine trying to go out in the snow without a walker. I lived in Michigan for 13 years so I know how scary that can be. Be safe. I hope you have a restful night tonight. Will you get to go see your daughter?
 
Hi @susanne, I totally agree with @patient 99 we have to view this as a long term recovery. I was duped by the bone joint school that we had to attend prior to the op that after a few weeks we'd all be ok. Not true!!!!
I'm ever so glad that everything was ok at your appointment and that you are feeling more positive. I'm in a lot of pain again tonight so I've upped my meds and I'm in bed x x x x
 
Thanks ladies. Thinking of going to Tampa Florida to visit daughter. Haven't seen her since nov and miss her terribly. Unfortunately it will be around the time of spring break so air fare prices are usually much higher....
 
I'm also at seven weeks.... It's kind of an in-between time. I'm not lying and groaning, watching the clock for pain meds. But I'm not stepping out lively and living the good life.

I'm sick and tired and being sick and tired. Had a little tantrum. Doing better!
 
Seven weeks myself, feel much better than two weeks ago, mobility much better, now this weather needs to go away!!! I will be so glad when it hits the sixties next week. Getting myself for the return to duty on April 1st. Girls have been out of school for fives day now!!! Winter go away, Tampa sounds like a good trip, go do it, have fun.
 
I do feel a little better mentally, my panic attacks about leaving the house has subsided I'm enjoying my girlfriends coming over with the new Oreo cookies getting under the covers and laughing. That feels great. Then when everybody leaves the pains come inching there way back. I'm trying to go to sleep have actually started reading a book on my kindle thinking ,ok, this will make make my eyes heavy but 2 hrs later still up
I so appreciate everyone's support although it's getting redundant you all don't know how much I appreciate it when someone writes on my thread. So since I'm up and thinking sleeps not coming I'll take my drs advice and continue to strengthen my quads while trying to book a flight to Florida. Nothing like multi tasking
Good night all or top of the morning to you UKers
 
Back
Top Bottom