TKR I'm 2 years out - Hooray

@ Texan. Yes I take my meds oxycodne 2 pills every 4-6 hrs. Trying to stretch to the 5 hr limit as my fear I won't be able to get a refil and OxyContin long acting 1 every 12? Hrs. I used to take the hydro codeine whenever i got bronchitis , but found if I took to much to stop the coughing I would be itching so much. Guess it's a side effect from the codeine. It also gave me such a peaceful sleep. But very addicting. I seem to get up every morning at 4 am, change my ice pack, take just 1 pill and try and go back to sleep. This 4 Week mark seems to be the hardest for me
Well olympics are off the tv so now I'm watching the newscast about the upcoming snow storm.
Here we go again, sequestered in house . Isn't it funny our main concern is traveling to hair dresser no matter how painful, look were our priorities have gone.. I wish I was able to go to my salon but too many steps to get in and out. Maybe she'll make house calls.!!!!!
Be safe enjoy your hair and enjoy the sleep when you can
Would say goodnight but it's more like good morning.
 
Sorry meant hydrocodone spelled wrong before...again watch side effects
Feel better
 
My knee has been hurting me so bad for the last year plus surgery, I havent bothered to cut my hair. It just keeps getting longer and longer. I just tie it up.

Susanne: Elevate! Elevate! Elevate! I am not kidding. You need to elevate that knee. Even when you are sleeping: Elevate! Elevate! Elevate!

Sleeping will be difficult for a while. Take naps whenever possible until you learn how to sleep at night with your new knee.

Keep The Faith.
 
@nunee4me. Great name. I elevate and ice all night long waking up like clockwork at 4 am to refill ice pack. I feel like I'm never leaving bed let alone house due to the major snowstorm. Just staring out window,mincing and elevating. What a life
 
Oh yes, I remember those days of waking up in the middle of the night. I usually read or watched something for an hour or so and could get back to sleep.
Your walker comment. Maybe Josephine meant you shouldn't be out *without* your walker yet.
 
I never leave home let alone without walker. Only leave for PT and now with the snowstorm here in NY might not even make tomorrow's appt.
Does anyone have a throbbing pain sort of like a stabbing on both sides of the knee. Every once in a while I get this and so severe I run for ice. I'm not sure if the nerves are coming back alive at the 4 week mark. Also I've been having these dizzy episodes when I get up from a laying position. I usually sit on edge of bed and do some ankle pumps before I actually begin to walk.
Thanks for any advice
 
Still coming down like mad here. I've not experienced the pain on sides as you describe but I do have a nasty throbbing in my shin. I'm curious if you or anyone else has a noticeable difference in temp in your knees. My operated one is much redder and warmer than the other. I actually just called my dr to ask if I should go to er. She said some degree of difference is normal but I have instructions to high tail it to er if certain things arise. Hmmmm.
For now I'm in bed iced all around and the pain is easing.
I used to get dizzy getting up fast, what you do by sitting on side of bed is exactly what I was told to do.
I also am scheduled for pt tomorrow. We shall see. I hope you are able to get some sleep tonight and that the pain eases.
Caryn

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
I never leave home let alone without walker. Only leave for PT and now with the snowstorm here in NY might not even make tomorrow's appt.
Dont worry about missing PT because of weather - your safety is #1 most important thing. Just make sure you call PT and warn them that you are unable to make it because of weather, so you don't get charged anyway. You can do your therapy exercises at home yourself, if you are not already. Just look in the Library, at the top in the grey bar, for therapy exercises you can do home home yourself. At home I have: weights, stretchy bands, stationary bike, steps, etc. I couldnt see the point in paying someone that mostly stood around talking with other PTs about the latest fashion trends etc - plus after I was hurt twice, that was enough for me. So I did most of my therapy at home myself. PLUS with the weather problems, it just worked out better for me to do therapy at home myself.

There are different PTs just like there different doctors.

Does anyone have a throbbing pain sort of like a stabbing on both sides of the knee. Every once in a while I get this and so severe I run for ice. I'm not sure if the nerves are coming back alive at the 4 week mark. Also I've been having these dizzy episodes when I get up from a laying position. I usually sit on edge of bed and do some ankle pumps before I actually begin to walk.

It does sound like your circulatory system and your nervous system are trying to come back alive again. It can take a while - a year or longer. It WILL gradually get better - it will. After a traumatic surgery such as this one, I think the circulatory system actually repairs itself pretty fast. It takes longer for the nervous system to repair itself. I think our bodies are so cool.

Every once in a while I get this and so severe I run for ice. I'm not sure if the nerves are coming back alive at the 4 week mark. Also I've been having these dizzy episodes when I get up from a laying position. I usually sit on edge of bed and do some ankle pumps before I actually begin to walk.

It sounds like you are doing the right things: ice and circle pumps. When the nerves come back to life, it can be very painful.

For the four weeks immediately after surgery, my operated leg was redder and a lot warmer than my nonoperated leg.

We have 18 inches of snow here - its great - I love snow. When my doctor first started to talk to me about a tkr, I thought it should be done first thing in the Spring. I was/am concerned about falling on the ice. But it worked out for the best. Now that it (my tkr) has been done, it is much better to have been shut up during the winter months - it would have kiiled me (not literally) to have been shut up in the Spring/Summer months, and not to be able to share The Outdoors with my kids. I guess the timing worked out for the best. Just think: By the time Spring gets here, our new knees will be healed up an ready to go. =)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@glazed151. Funny you mentioned about your leg feeling hot and reddish. Mine is warm and the color is definitely not the same as the other leg but be aware of any dark tight redness sort of patches and warmth. When I was in re hab I developed cellulitis. I knew something was wrong as the redness under bandage began traveling down leg. I was told by my sister who had cellulitis that the drs usually mark the red patch and observe if it's spreading down leg. No one did this but an OT not mine told me to have it looked at . Because the dr at rehab was uncertain I requested a second opinion, and they both agreed on precautionary antibiotics in case it was cellulitis. Come on , in case?? I was put on Keflax 3x a day, which cleared up the red patch and the heat after about 5 days. So if there is something you feel is not right and should not be there have it checked. I don't want to alarm you but you know your body and it may be a good idea to have it looked at, for me this was 1 week after surgery. Ps. It's rising like mad here. We got 10 inches if snow but now I hear more coming tomorrow . I don't think I'll ever complain about being to hot ever again!!!! But please stop this insane weather!!
Good luck and feel better.
 
@NuNe4Me. The weather is getting tiring 10 inches here plus it's now raining and who knows what the morning rush hr traffic will be. Oh, wait a minute I'm not going anywhere. I feel for my co workers who actually made long drive to work. I just don't understand why our new mayor wouldn't cancel school. Plus what parent would put kids on a bus. We have 2-4 year olds..what are they going to miss? The letter s for snow.
Glad to hear that the throbbing is common, but when I hear up to a year kinda get very nervous. The coloring of my log leg is still different from my good one. It's more reddish and warm to touch.
I know it's nothing serious as I came down with cellulitis while in rehab and this is nothing like that feeling. The dizziness got me concerned but I do take it slow when getting up. It's that first get up and go that gets me a little woozie , plus flash backs from my first hip resurfacing where I passed out twice in my home. Very scarey
Thanks for all the good and informative info you wrote I read this during my usual 4 am wake ups but got an early cake up tonite....back to watching the Olympics
Look forward to these chats...you have no idea. Thank you thank you
Susanne
 
The dizziness can be the medications. Also dont forget to breathe while doing your exercises. Proper foods help. Dont make sudden moves. Be patient. My first home PT was yesterday. After stolling around the house, going to bathroom moving log leg around I get sweaty, cold and dizzy and extremely tired. So far been able to keep pain pretty low. Best of luck
 
@NuNe4Me. I just don't understand why our new mayor wouldn't cancel school. Plus what parent would put kids on a bus. We have 2-4 year olds..what are they going to miss? The letter s for snow.

I absolutely agree with you: When the weather gets bad like this, I think they should cancel school. Of course, this way, the kids won't forget that the letter "S" stands for snow. =)

@NuNe4Me. Glad to hear that the throbbing is common, but when I hear up to a year kinda get very nervous.

It is already slowly starting to get better. I meant "a year" in the terms of complete recovery: your goal. But those nerves can take a while to heal up.

@NuNe4Me. The coloring of my log leg is still different from my good one. It's more reddish and warm to touch.

You may have that for a while, until your circulatory system gets straightened out. Your exercises will help this. Most of all, elevation will help this.

@NuNe4Me. The dizziness got me concerned but I do take it slow when getting up. It's that first get up and go that gets me a little woozie , plus flash backs from my first hip resurfacing where I passed out twice in my home. Very scarey

Take it easy. Remember: the tortoise won the race.

@NuNe4Me. Thanks for all the good and informative info you wrote Look forward to these chats...you have no idea. Thank you thank you
Susanne

You are welcome. I firmly believe that we are all in this together. Just trying to pass it on. I know how much the BoneSmarties helped me after my tkr. Have a good day,
 
Had 2nd PT appt today. Hardest part was getting over the piles of snow to get to car. And it's supposed to snow again tomorrow . My therapist did some light massaging after he had me iced and electric stims. After about 5 mins had to have him stop hurt to much. Did some gentle rocking motions on bike for 7 mins , leg lifts on bolster and pushing knee down to work quads.
Unfortunately I think I might have overdone it bc my log leg hurt so much, throbbing and stabbing in knee that the need for bed and ice called my name. After an hr nap felt so much better.
I'm hoping once I get on the regular PT schedule I will be able to do a little more each time. I was upset because I love the massaging of the knee so much but today just didn't work for me. Is this normal? Than again what is normal, does anyone else go thru this?
Thanks
Happy valentines day everybody
 
Once again, you may get different responses. Some people love the massaging, etc. Others, like me,dont want their knee touched after their tkr.

You are beginning to learn the language of your knee. When you overdo it, your knee will let you know.
 
Hi Susanne, (I'm a Sue), I can so relate to so many things you wrote. I am 2 weeks and 3 days out from BTKR. The ups and downs are making me dizzy. Nights are rough, you would have to kill me to take my ice packs!.
My P.T. Has been so encouraging, but it took 3 temps. before they assigned her. Mixed up schedule d/t snow storms, a little stir crazy. My pain has changed from sharp when getting out of chairs, to achey and spasm at night.
I moved to a cane yesterday, but keep my trusty walker close just in case. I had to call and get a new prescription as mine was running out. Get the feeling that my O.S. thinks I should be weaning off (after2weeks?) I see him tues. ,so we shall see.
I worry about my flex in my right knee, it seems stiff all the time, but loosens with P.T. But then I ache for the rest of the day.
It's hard to see the light at the end, and it takes so many tiny steps to get a short distance. But ,we will get there. And somedays I actually feel almost normal. Take heart and keep reading the success stories. These Bone Smarties are awesome, they give me hope. It is so good to know we are not alone. Fawkes
 
Hi Susanne, (I'm a Sue), I can so relate to so many things you wrote. I am 2 weeks and 3 days out from BTKR. The ups and downs are making me dizzy. Nights are rough, you would have to kill me to take my ice packs!.
My P.T. Has been so encouraging, but it took 3 temps. before they assigned her. Mixed up schedule d/t snow storms, a little stir crazy. My pain has changed from sharp when getting out of chairs, to achey and spasm at night.
I moved to a cane yesterday, but keep my trusty walker close just in case. I had to call and get a new prescription as mine was running out. Get the feeling that my O.S. thinks I should be weaning off (after2weeks?) I see him tues. ,so we shall see.
I worry about my flex in my right knee, it seems stiff all the time, but loosens with P.T. But then I ache for the rest of the day.
It's hard to see the light at the end, and it takes so many tiny steps to get a short distance. But ,we will get there. And somedays I actually feel almost normal. Take heart and keep reading the success stories. These Bone Smarties are awesome, they give me hope. It is so good to know we are not alone. Fawkes
 
@nuke4me. Hi thanks for inquiring. Haven't been feeling too good. My knee has been throbbing with stabbing pains in side. Had 2nd PT appt and when I get home my knee is hurting more. I feel like all I do is ice elevate and lay in bed. I've been going a little stir crazy because of the weather, which I'm sure is not helping my knee and other replaced body parts. My fear of taking showers is getting worse. I need so much help just lifting my knee back enough to go over tub. I was taught this way in rehab. My boyfriend who was been my helper in all of this helps to lift my leg back. First time fine, no problem 2 nd tme he must have lifted too much that I saw stars. 3 rd time in spite of my fears was ok. I don't have this much difficulty getting out if tub, just getting in. At least I'm clean as can be. Does anyone else have these tub issues ? Do you go in leg bent back like I did in rehab or is there an easier way. A transfer bench doesn't work tub too narrow and have sliding glass doors. And help and advice will be so appreciated
Thanks, susanne
 
Can your boyfriend pop out the glass doors for now? That is what my hubby had to do for me. I then put a plastic shower chair with no arms in sideways as my tub is also narrow. Doesn't look pretty but works for now!
 
Back
Top Bottom