Guest viewing is limited

TKR I'm 2 years out - Hooray

Hi Susanne, pardon my butting in when you asked Josephine, but thought I could help. Yes, you post all of your questions in your own pre-existing thread. That way, your whole 'history' is in one location for everyone to look back on and refer to. Mainly when I post in other people's threads it is to comment directly on what they have previously posted. You can have conversations with them, encourage them, offer advice and just shoot the breeze, but it's good to post any questions or concerns you have regarding yourself in your own thread. That way everyone can respond directly to you, in one place and you won't be derailing anyone else's thread.

It just gets confusing when our Bonesmartie experts and advisors have to run all over looking for information and past posts when it's much simpler to keep everything in one place. :-) Hope this makes sense!
 
o let me ask you again when I want to post something I go under 2weeks now that thread?
Do I keep adding and asking on that page only?

The thread you are in now---the "Two Weeks..." thread will do just fine. That way, we can keep tabs on you easier and read what is going on without bouncing around the forum. We can keep track of your progress, your questions, or concerns, and see how you are doing.

If you look at some others' threads, they are quite long---as they have built up a "history" for their recovery.

Post in others' threads to help them and give them advice or cheers---and they will do the same for you.

How do I discuss things with other members?
To discuss things with other members---well, it depends on if you have a question or concern---or do they? If you read somebody's thread and they have a question, then go ahead and help them out. If you wish to discuss something that is going on with your knee, post it in your own thread and let everyone come to you.
Another part that's confusing to me is do I go in my log in page to start or go to notifications??
I would check in with your own log-in page and then take a look at the notifications. It is, however, up to you.

I hope this helps you out!

TSC
 
Brunch was quite an experience. I arrived with my bag for ice my twin sister mom and our walkers. Needless to say it was quite a sight. We were 10 for brunch having a grand time when throbbing in knee started. Since I'm not used to sitting for so long I tried to get up to walk around with the help of my 6 year old great nephew. This and not having an appetite got me so depressed. As I looked around table I see my sister in law with diabetes, my brother with bad back, and saddest was my twin sister who is battering stage 4 bone cancer for the past 4 years. That is a miracle in itself. Then I looked at my mom who at 98 was in better health than all her children. She looks movie star amazing, full face of makeup and a boa to match the outfit. I am so grateful to have my family around for support especially my mom, that after awhile the knee pain subsided, got more ice and reveled in the fact how important family is. Then I went home took my meds, elevated,iced and napped for 3 hours.
Now to do another outing all over again, first physical therapy appointment!!
 
@referee thanks for the lesson on threading. You've made it so clear. I will keep to my page and post concerns and progress. By the way I'm a 4 time replacementer ( made up word). 2 right hips, 1 shoulder and now knee. I pray I'm done for a long long long time.
 
Thank you for asking. Finally going to my first physical therapy appointment today. Will keep you posted when I get home......
 
Had first physical therapy appointment today since leaving rehab facility. I've been going to these therapists for 20 years haven't been there since 2011 so it was like old home week. They couldn't believe I had another replacement!!! Started out with some walker walks around room, than electric stim , ice pack and 15 minutes to relax, felt so good. After some nice massaging thought at this rate this rehab will be a breeze. So wrong. After doing leg raises, leg strengthening of quads I thought I was done. But my therapist frank had other plans. The good old bike
Mind you I did this in rehab with the pedaling on floor--wrong wrong wrong , after managing as gracefully as I can to get up on the bike he told me to just go slow,a rocking movement to loosen joint. Not to actually pedal
By the time I got off after 15 minutes I really felt a difference. 2 more stretching exercises and I was good to go home. By that I mean under covers, elevated and more ice
Took little nap so now that I'm up will be watching Olympics that I missed today
Now the real work begins. PT 3x week, just thinking about massage gets be motivated, guess I have to take the good with the bad. 2 outings in one day. The hardest part is finding a curb that's been cleaned off of snow. So nervous walking with the walker since everything is icing up and weathermen are predicting 2 more storms Thursday and Sunday.
Be safe everybody
 
@loves to read... Now that I'm more coherent I've been meaning to touch base with you
My daughter moved to chicago last September. She works for the family of the general manager of the chicago bears. They have a physically handicapped daughter and my daughter teaches her things like ADL skills, dance moves, reading and speech skills. She loves her job, hates chicago winters and is so happy to complain how hot she is in Tampa. I also love your user name. I'm assuming you are an avid reader. I was too up until my ltkr jan14, th. Can't seem to concentrate and follow in a book with more than 2 characters which could be a problems. What kinds of books do you like to read?? Maybe we can start a recuperating book club...I don't think I can watch anymore day time tv shows. Anyway you didnt mention what kind of surgery you had.. But if you feel like book sharing keep me in mind. Could be the start of something new
Feel good and speedy recovery to you
 
This tkr is one surgery that will not respond well to overdoing it with more and more PT. Please be careful.

The most important things you need now are: Elevate, Ice, and Rest. Elevate! Elevate!!! Elevate!!
 
whats the usual protocol for tkr for physical therapy? I guess each case is different and the doctor has the deciding factor in all this. when I had my hips replaced I also went 3 x a week, it wasn't to bad because the exercises were very fetal and the massage was the best part. Just a little achy since haven't done anything in a month except lay elevate and ice. Well now I have days tot think about his many times. Is you'd be going. I will wait and see then call my surgeon. Now if I chap just get some sleep.n it's 4am in the states Any suggestions on how to go to sleep??
 
Hi Susanne, wouldn't it be great if we could just 'unplug' and go to sleep? Here in the UK it's now time to get up. I had a few wakeful periods last night and could have used a turn off button. I've just had breakfast, my mornings consist of gentle exercises and stretches (I'm only going to PT once a week) then I have my shower, then I return to bed to elevate - I quite literally rest my legs up against the wall- and ice. After lunch I'm going to visit a friend and teach her how to use her computer, I think half an hour will probably be enough for both of us. Not a busy day, but hopefully enough to stop me getting too bored.
I do hope you manage to sleep, chat soon x
 
My OS seemed to care less about me going to PT and I am in the U.S. I went 2x a week for four weeks. At my six week check up my surgeon did not even measure me. In fact he only measured my ROM post op. he did however observe me while i was sitting in a chair, getting on exam table and walking. He seemed more interested in my ability to function and what my pain levels were. For me he was the perfect OS as I was never pressured into anything. Just follow the bonesmart philosophy and don't do anything if you are not comfortable doing it!
 
Hi Susanne, glad to hear the therapy went well. Sounds like you have a sensible PT. I do too, but I know they're not all like that. After a few visits you get to look forward to them, just to get out of the house. Unfortunately the weather is not cooperating. We sure are having a cold, snowy, nasty winter here in NY. We've been spoiled the last few years. Like you I love to read, sometimes 2-3 books a week if my wife and I aren't watching our grandkids. But in the hospital and at rehab, I couldn't concentrate at all. The first 4 weeks I didn't read more than 5 pages. (and those same 5 pages were read quite a few times) Percoset will do that to you. But Perc and ice paks were (the paks still are) a godsend for the pain. When I started taking just tylenol during the day, the ability to concentrate came back. Seems like everything starts to return to normal slowly, it just takes alot longer than we expected.
 
Glad you've got it sorted about 'your' thread and someone else's thread! Not meaning to bombard you with information, but you do know what a link is and how to use it, don't you? I ask because some of the issues you've been asking questions about (and don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with asking questions!) have been addressed in the recovery articles that were left for you earlier. Please say if you haven't been able to read them or can't find them, we'll happily post them for you again.
Now the real work begins.
Knee rehab/PT isn't hard work. It should be gentle. Testing but gentle.
So nervous walking with the walker
You shouldn't be out walking with the walker yet. You're only 4 weeks out.
Read this Activity progression for TKRs
 
It was 4 weeks yesterday since surgery. I guess this is the 2 steps backwards stage as the saying goes . Had worse night ever. Woke up at 2 am with throbbing pain on left side of knee. Got up refilled my ice pack and hobbled back to bed. My knee was so stiff and more log like than ever. Then woke again at4am with throbbing all around knee cap. Again hobbled to refil ice pack took a pill and tried to go back to sleep.
Is anyone else having these issues at the 4 week mark. I've been doing light exercises every day, flexing ankles bending with walker and doing heels and toes flexing . I also did the rocking motion on my bike for 5 minutes. No rotation just a gentle rock.
Anyone else have these issues. Is this throbbing normal. I keep contributing everything to the upcoming snow storm that's expected to hit tonight til tomorrow
Any advice greatly appreciated
 
@ Josephine. If I shouldn't be out with my walker after 4 weeks how do I go about walking. You stated it was too early. Help!!
 
Hi @suzanne
As we all have, I struggled with the no sleep thing as you are. Some types of meds seem to make it worse. I'm on tramadol and one of the top 5 side effects is insomnia. Yay...since this surgery in itself is very disruptive to a decent night sleep. I spoke to my Dr and he suggested I try taking 50 mg of benadryl early evening. I also spoke to the pharmacist, who backed up that suggestion.
So...perhaps you could ask your dr if there is something you might be able to safely take that would aid in sleeping. As soon as I added the benadryl to my nightly routine, I noticed a huge difference. Even sleeping a solid 4 or 5 hours is better than what I had been getting and it improved my mood and stamina.
I am 4 weeks post op yesterday, and I agree with those who say this is a hard week. Frustrating that we're stuck inside...Seems like enough time has passed that "it should" be better but that's still a loooong way off.
Thankfully we have each other here and the amazing Josephine, who answers all , puts up with us and our **** and somehow manages to keep it all straight :)
If nothing else Suzanne, we can compare this latest storm aftermath come friday. I'm coastal Maine and looking at 6-12 with a mix of rain. Yay!
Sending hugs....
Caryn

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
@glazed. Thanks for your update. Seems whenever I post a question it's nighttime in England. I've always had difficulty sleeping. I can fall asleep easily but wake up 2 hrs later and I'm UP
I take Xanax for years to help with sleep, after years of benedryl I needed something with an rx at the end. I am now up to the point I can function and read a book and follow storyline so that too helps with sleep. Now just listening to storm report. Of course our mayor is keeping schools open while the next town over they are closed. Be safe with the storm. We can compare totals by Friday
Have a good night
Susanne
 
Hi Susanne,
My OS prescribed hydrocodone for me. I have been blessed in that it makes me sleepy all the time. My husband tried cutting back my dose from 2 pills every 4 hours to 1.5 pills every 4 hours just so I could stay awake more during the day. It wasn't controlling the pain. It was amazing the difference it made when I went back to the full dose. PT is much more bearable. I take my meds by the clock so the pain doesn't get away from me. For some reason, riding in the car causes me a lot of pain. I plan my meds around it so I take them 30 minutes before time to leave. I had to get my hair cut today and was dreading the car ride. Took meds 30 minutes before we had to leave and didn't have any problems. Yesterday and the day before were bad days for me. Pain, unhappy surgeon, unhappy PT all piled on. Today was a much better day. I keep telling myself that it is normal to have the bad days. Do you take your meds by the clock? It is worth it to me to wake up during the night for pills just so I don't have pain. Hope you have a restful night. You are in my prayers.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom