TKR I'm 2 years out - Hooray

Im having the same issue with my calf , Im early in recovery (4weeks). Its sensitive to the touch and I must be very gentle when it gets massaged. OPT will show you how to stretch it out . I did purchase a electric stimulator on amazon yesterday . I will use on my calf , knee and quad. They use one on me at PT. I think its called a tens unit. I will try it out and report the outcome soon . In the meantime GENTLE massages and it couldn't hurt to ice it or heat . Best of luck !!
 
@icep707I used to have really bad leg cramps but have been taking Leg Cramp its 2 little pills u put under tongue to dissolve . I bought in health food store awhile ago but they don't seem to sell them anymore. I found on a vitamin web site called vita cost.com. Not sure where you live but these really help me.
 
Icep707. Ok just read ur in Cali. It's a cheap and good investment. My neuro also said to drink tonic water but when I read how many carbs are in it ditched the idea.....the diet tonic tastes horrible but I think if I added some vodka and lime may change my mind...dr didn't think funny but he did manage a chuckle
 
So drove myself to PT ...did a good job just hard to get leg into the car have to move seat all the way back and grab log leg to get it in. Thank goodness I never got a clutch. PT very Uneventful. I seem to be doing the same exercises that i can do at home except for the massage part. I feel that since I'm not paying for it, and it gives me a reason to get dressed and out of house, I'll continue until insurance stops. I have 2 more visits until I know if the insurance will agree to more services . Felt a little guilty, after therapy went shopping, leaned on shopping cart for support, bought myself a few things. Great feeling new clothes. Now u have to wash before I wear them still germaphobic about bed bugs:yikes:
On that nite wishing all a long and peaceful uninterrupted sleep:groan:
Do you think we focus too much on sleep???:sleep::zzz:
Just found these little icons. Guess I got carried away but it is fun!!!!
 
Has anyone had this feeling in their legs... I feel like I have to keep stretching my calf muscle. I've had this problem before dr thought it was restless leg syndrome put me on meds but didn't work. I bought something in vitamin shop called leg cramps ( how appropriate and to the point) to see if that works, last night my legs ached all over and I kept stretching them, but got worried I would pop my knee. Anyone else ever get this???? Suggestions most welcomed
Still sleeping in wedge with ice wrapped around knee

Yeah, I have/had problems with leg cramps at night. I think you have the right ideas: vitamins and stretches. I am a big believer in vitamins. They work - but not as fast as drugs. The hard part is finding which one you need. My husband has a big problem with "running" at night - he takes Gabapentin for that - but that is not a vitamin. What is the vitamin you bought at the vitamin shop? I used Horse Chestnut for a while - that seemed to help. With cramps/restless legs, the only thing I can suggest is research. Stretches are also good.

You know that I am a big believer in elevation. I am still elevating. But, at this point, I have completely stopped the ice. You might try that. You just need to experiment and find out what works for you.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Nune4mei bought on a wb site called vitacost.com. And it's called Leg Cramps I have been using for about a year since rx meds didn't help at all.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Trying to write again.. It's 10:20 pm :gaah:. Have been having sharp shooting pains on the inside of my knee cap. Icing and elevating not working too well. I guess this is the 3 steps back. :gaah::hairpulling:
 
Therapy day today. Had a new therapist, he was great. Massaged my knee, thigh calf for about 20 minutes. Heaven, although it hurt at times it was a good hurt. Gave me some new exercises, calf stretch, wall squats. He was a little concerned because I'm not bending my leg when I walk. Tried with and without cane and he said I need to get used to bending my knee when i walk, heel toe, and push off on big toe so my knee will bend.., I think I forgot how to walk normally!!!:yes!:
 
Yay. Went out for dinner with my dearest friend. Felt so good to sit in restaurant laugh and have a drink. I am remembering to bend my knee when I walk...how could I forget such a simple thing.
Home now with ice and elevating. So far so good
Hope everyone has a great night/ day.
Good night friends
 
ow could I forget such a simple thing.
"Mechanics is muscle memory." When you have not bent your leg or when yo have had an usual gait for quite some time, it becomes normal.

Now that your knee is healing and working the way a real knee should, it does take time and concentration to actually walk the right way, as you have to change the mechanics of your gait.
 
Thanks, I'm learning that now.....
 
Did a lot of walking today then of course got stuck in rain. Brought my mom something for her for dinner and we both walked ( her with walker she's 98) around her apt together. It's embarrassing she's faster than I am, all in all good day today. Just homie can sleep without my knee hurting. I tried sleeping on my side of the replacement knee.....not so good yet a bit of a weird feeling from knee to thigh.
Hope everyone is having a good nights rest....
 
Ugh. 1am. These dam leg cramps are going to be the end of me. I've been getting out of bed for an hr stretching, back to bed, cramping starts again, up I go stretching on the wall, up and down on my toes heel slides you name it I'm trying it...giving up and ....maybe I should chuck it all and just stay up....and watch more tv. This is not making me happy!!!! :(
 
Susanne, when you report cramps like this, I must ask how you're doing with your pain meds. It sounds to me like you may be undermedicating yourself. Can you tell me what meds you're on and what your schedule is for taking them?
 
I'm taking 15 mg ocycodone supposed to take every 4 hrs but cutting down. Making me a little crazy. I take in in am and one around 6 pm. Besides that I take Advil .
I'm not sure the leg cramps are due to meds since I've had them before, but after surgery no cramps. This just started up again last week. Suggestions??
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everybody...today was my last day of therapy unless Workmans comp agrees to more sessions. Which means I have to see one of their drs to get approval. The time spent with these drs are exactly 3 mins don't even have to take my coat off. The best part of today was I had the good therapist...I swear he did more for me in the 2 hr sessions I had with him than in all the 10 with the other one....and..not to toot my own horn. Knock wood everyone please. I actually rode the bike for 10 mins and was able to go fully around not just a rocking motion. We all cheered yay for me.
The other therapist walked into his office. I was waiting for them to break out the champagne ,so instead nixing the meds tonight and going out with the girls for dinner and drinks!!!
@nanamoon...if it wasn't in the 1940s when they died but now they all would still be alive, well if possible to live to 115. My mom was the oops baby and her brothers and sisters were all 15-20 years older than her. Also since she was the baby obviously very spoiled. Modern Medicine they had heart disease, diabetes and cancer and considering they were doctors should have taken better care but unfortunately all their knowledge didn't help just wasn't the techniques and equipment we have now . My twin sister is just like my mom in that way won't leave house without full face of makeup and nice outfit. And that's just to walk the dog.
Tomorrow I may go and splurge on some smaller granny panties so as not to embarrass the daughter when she comes home. She tends to laugh at the sight
I love sharing pictures with everyone. I am going to post a few more this weekend including my non log leg
Hope everyone has a great night sleeping or partying the night away!!!
Write to you all later. Off to party. U( you know your getting old when we go out at 6:30 and home and tucked in my 10....at least I'm not in bed.
Nite all
 
I'm taking 15 mg ocycodone supposed to take every 4 hrs but cutting down. Making me a little crazy. I take in in am and one around 6 pm. Besides that I take Advil .
I'm not sure the leg cramps are due to meds since I've had them before, but after surgery no cramps. This just started up again last week. Suggestions??
Let me tag @Josephine and see what she has to say. Your pain meds are prescribed at one every 4 hours and you are taking one approximately every 12 hours. Since you're having the cramps and pain, I think it might be worth trying to take them a bit more frequently for a while longer. What do you mean by "they are making you a little crazy"?
 
I have to wonder about the pain meds too. A lot of us had meds before bed for quite a while even as we decreased them. 6pm would seem too early to help you much overnight.
 
Back
Top Bottom