THR Iliopsoas tendonitis post THR

So not such a great night for me. This is day 6, or do you call surgery day day 0? If so then this would be day 5. Anyway, I used just a cane all afternoon and got along just fine. Last night I had a lot of difficulty getting comfortable, with numerous aches and pains. Up from 2am to 6am. Caught 2 more hours this morning. Needless to say my hopes of going to church were dashed. You were so right @Jacey, not quite ready yet to go out. Showered, dressed, dishes and laundry and now am in recliner icing and resting.

Soooo bored- you would think with so many satellite tv channels there would be something interesting to watch. Reading is ok, but for some reason I am not devouring books like I do on my days off from work. I think it has to do with my needing an escape from work and right now I don't. My ice maker can not keep up with me, so I am using ice packs from work in between.

I know they are going through some struggles at work, because I still get work email, and I am tempted to call and offer advice. But I stopped myself. If they are ever going to move up in the organization, they need to prove to themselves and others that they can handle tough situations . I am sure they will be fine, I just have to trust them and let them figure it out.

Thanks for listening or reading I mean!


Just4mules (Julie)
October 20, 2015 LTHR
 
dishes and laundry
:no-fin: You should not be doing any chores this early out. Focus on the mantras and resting/napping. Chores will come later when your body has recovered from the trauma a bit more. Remember - you are discharged from the hospital TO recover - not recovered.

Go back and read the articles I left for you on how long does healing take and the activity progression for THRs. I know you are bored. But resting and recovering well will mean you can get back to living.

And please do not even think about work right now. You are working very hard on recovering.
 
Again like you I had awful calf pain, and like you was worried about DVT... turns out it was where the surgeon or his minion had held my leg to dislocate the hip; how do I know this? because the bruise that came out DAYS after all the other bruising (because it was so deep) was a perfect hand shape!! Phew! It was the last bruising to go too, like I said really deep bruising... it must have taken SOME force to dislocate that hip!

I haven't had those type bruises show up but on day three, my OS came by to change my bandages. Felt like he ripped those suckers off (but I could tell he was trying to be gentle) because the OR staff had apparently used a whole roll of tape on my keister. Luckily, I now have a gel like bandage that comes off easily.

Before he started removing bandages they had to roll me on my side. He had a rather firm grip on my thigh and I joked with him that he didn't know his own strength and that someone had recently pounded the tar out of that femur. Got a chuckle out of him. Lol.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Soooo bored- you would think with so many satellite tv channels there would be something interesting to watch. Reading is ok, but for some reason I am not devouring books like I do on my days off from work. I think it has to do with my needing an escape from work and right now I don't. My ice maker can not keep up with me, so I am using ice packs from work in between.

I hear you @Just4mules! All I'm doing is sitting on my keister, lying down or heading to the bathroom. Reading, t.v., napping and repeat. I may be even nuttier than I am after five more weeks of this and using a walker!
 
Ah @Just4mules and @kktoland the boredom!!!! :bored: It is the one thing you have to do for yourself in this recovery, deal with the boredom. I found the first week or so the most boring as the meds made me foggy and I couldn't really concentrate on anything "meaningful", but I wasn't in pain or particularly feeling the need to lie down (I didn't spend any time in bed, I'd get up, shower, dress breakfast and go to my recliner... that took care of the first two hours of the day:heehee:) I'm just not a "bed" person, even the breakfast-in-bed Mother's Day treat when my kids were young was always a teeth-gritting affair for me! I also don't "do" daytime TV, I think you can see why already:rotfl: Once my "meds load" lightened I was clearer headed and could at least surf the net... reading and my fave, cryptic crosswords came then too.

I love to craft and I didn't even want to go into my craft room, which surprised me as I had given myself "permission" to take time to do things I enjoyed while recovering, as time for such stuff is limited normally (I work from home, so I have to be very disciplined... my craft room is only 20 metres from my office, if I "just slipped in there" when I felt like it during a working day I would never get ANY work done, lol) Hubby was home for the first week, the dynamic was different while he was home.... once he went back to work I found my day quite full with just the day-to-day stuff.... a word of caution (please listen, I didn't when I was offered this advice!!) I felt really good in no time, I did have the Energy Drain and HAD to sit when it dictated, but when feeling good and able to "Do" I "Did" - it really doesn't take much to join the ODIC (Over Did It Club), and you don't necessarily pay the price at the time.

If you're like me, you get tendinitis (piriformis syndrome for me, I had psoas issues at first too but they've cleared) that can be VERY hard to shift. In fact it is only in the last few weeks, over a year out, that I don't have a problem every day... I still get tight buns (not in a good way as my physio said :snork:) if I am very active. When it reared it's ugly head at about three weeks I asked the physio if it was aggravated by my activity level and she replied "probably"... so it may have been coming anyway, but why risk it?:shrug: Next hip I will manage my activity more carefully. I know it sounds like a crock when you're feeling so good, and you think that this info is for those that are not doing as well as you... but it's a trap! Now, I won't be laying in bed next time either, it's just not me - but I will pace myself for sure.

The good thing is that as the days go by you are more mobile and feel less tired/fuzzy/sore/swollen/uncomfortable and all the other negative stuff, so you will be able, very soon, to find things to occupy you - I really was silly, going shopping, visiting grandchildren and out for more than one meal by six days out - but if you pace yourself all is doable. I have suffered from Depression for many years, I would have been in real strife mentally if I had just laid in my recliner with ice as advised, so while I KNOW that's "The Way" if you can do it, I also know that some of us just can't do that 100% so my advice is to pace yourself activity wise if you can't ice and elevate all the time, and try to remember you've had MAJOR surgery when using a bar against which to measure how much you should or can do. Little and often is better than going at it until you drop! Your main "job" right now is letting your body heal, boring I know!

I started working (like I said I work from home- bookkeeping) about half the day after about two and a half weeks... but I didn't do anything to do with Tax or Purchases for a week or so more ... just in case I wasn't as clear headed as I thought I was:rotfl: What I discovered (particularly in regard to housework and chores) is that I'm not as indispensable as I thought, the place didn't get as messy as I thought it would (perhaps I contribute to the mess?!?) and hubby stepped up to the plate when required... also accepting offers of assistance is not as bad as you'd think; people LIKE to help (I know I do, and I think I'm pretty average in wanting to help if I can) you are in fact helping them feel good about themselves if you let them help.... I think you'll find it's the same with your work Julie, your colleagues may just find they have resources they didn't know they had because "someone" :wink: has been doing for them. There was a bit of "catch up" when I started back at work, but it was nowhere near the chaos I was expecting... bit deflating to be honest to find out you're NOT "all that" :swoon:

I had twelve weeks of hip precautions, more damage than they thought during surgery and when told I was to sleep on my back for 12 weeks I was devastated... but guess what? you DO adjust, in fact I now often sleep at least part of the night on my back, having not done so for 55 years prior!

So in short (well my posts are never short just read my recovery thread :heehee:) It will get better, and soon :cool:

Happy Healing

Donna :SUNsmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Day 7 after surgery day. I was able to venture out with my husband yesterday and ran some errands. We went to SAMs club and I got the experience of operating the motorized shopping cart. I managed to not run into anyone or anything while there. Was tire when we arrived home but mentally I felt way better! Pain is either at 1 or 2 most of the daytime. At night the top of my thigh aches, and the tramadol and Tylenol do not seem to help very much at all. Still icing a lot, maybe out of habit more than anything. I see my OS on Friday for post op appointment. I am still using a cane, but I can feel my stability increasing every day!


Just4mules (Julie)
October 20, 2015 LTHR
 
Day 8. Getting around very well with the cane. Still having trouble sleeping- can't get comfortable. Top of thigh and top of lower leg have a burning sensation- maybe nerve pain? It is worse at night. Tylenol and tramadol do not seem to help much at all. I could sure use a good nights sleep!


Just4mules (Julie)
October 20, 2015 LTHR
 
At night the top of my thigh aches,

Top of thigh and top of lower leg have a burning sensation- maybe nerve pain? It is worse at night.

I've noticed the same thing @Just4mules. Some nights the thigh has a deep ache and others it feels like it is on fire!! It only occurs at night and is no where nesr the incision. I usually end up adding an extra ice pack just for that area. I go for my post op in the a.m. and will ask about it then.
 
Day 9: I absconded from home jail today. Since I am no longer on any narcotics, I am allowed to drive. I took myself to a movie in town. It was really nice to get away, though I did have to stand up periodically to ease some aching. Back home and it is 930 and I again have the burning thigh and calf area. My post op appointment is tomorrow. I will have a list of questions for my OS.

I am able to walk short distances inside without the cane. I am really happy with my progress so far- except for the burning leg pain!


Just4mules (Julie)
October 20, 2015 LTHR
 
Great report. You'll be saddling up in no time. Your fortunate to have the freedom of not being on the narcotics. That's great.

Pete


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Day 11: I had my post op appointment yesterday. OS happy with my progress, left it up to me whether to do pt or not- I am declining that at this point. He said the dysplasia he found was mild. Regarding the burning and aching in thigh and calf, that is normal and happens to some people, I just happened to be one of them- lucky me... Nothing more to do about it but let it fade on its own- he gave a window of 2-3 weeks for that to stop. I sure hope so because the lack of sleep is no fun! I can return to work part time next week then full time the week after. He basically left it up to me, so that is the plan for now. If it gets to be too much, I can have that changed. Honestly, I think I will do better mentally with something productive to do rather than what I have been doing.

He said the Prineo tape can come off at 2 weeks but he recommends waiting to 3 weeks as in his opinion, the incision looks much better after 3 weeks. I will try to stick it out. It is starting to itch some and when moving around in bed, it pulls and stings. I had read that it will fall off on its own as your skin regenerates, but the OS said I will have to pull it off. Not really looking forward to that since it is held in place with super glue! I have been able to sleep on the operative side for 2 days now, which is probably the majority of sleep I am getting since that is my favorite sleep side!

I can't wait to start getting back in the pool! I have to wait for the three week mark, but so looking forward to the therapy pool! I also have a business trip to the Tampa, Florida area coming up on November 14th. I made sure to choose aisle seats so I could get up and walk around periodically. I should have some spare time while there to go to the beach! I love walking barefoot in the sand and listening to the waves crashing on the shore....

My nest milestone is to get rid of the cane. I am feeling more steady and better balanced every day. I think I am on track to ditch the cane in another week. Next appointment is at the three month mark, in January.

Thank you all for your encouragement and for sharing your journeys, it has helped me immensely!


Just4mules (Julie)
October 20, 2015 LTHR
 
Regarding the burning and aching in thigh and calf, that is normal and happens to some people, I just happened to be one of them- lucky me... Nothing more to do about it but let it fade on its own- he gave a window of 2-3 weeks for that to stop. I sure hope so because the lack of sleep is no fun!

Right there with you on that @Just4mules. Burning woke me up twice last night.

I have been able to sleep on the operative side for 2 days now, which is probably the majority of sleep I am getting since that is my favorite sleep side!

Wow! Since the staples came out I've managed twice to sleep a couple hours partially rolled up toward the non-op side. Your progress amazes me!

I think I am on track to ditch the cane in another week. Next appointment is at the three month mark, in January.

Again, amazed! :wowspring:Really hope you enjoy your Florida trip .. just don't overdo that walking in the sand. :no-fin:

Kristi
 
Day 15: Still using the cane. For three days I have had sciatic nerve pain, what a pain- literally! Did some stretching and walking yesterday and this morning it seems to have lessened thank goodness! Sleep is still difficult but seems to be improving. I started back to work this week, 4 hours a day. The 4 hours speed by, and I am in a much better mental state with something purposeful to do. I have a massage appointment today at a physical therapy place near where I work. I am hoping they can help the nerve pain some or maybe even help me relax and get more sleep! Still have the burning pain in my calf. After researching this it seems to be very similar to restless leg syndrome. Over the last 5-6 days it seems to be moving down towards my foot. Maybe it will move all the way out of my leg . My operative leg is still swollen some. I elevate and ice multiple times through the day. Nothing else to report here, just baby steps toward healing every day, but I celebrate every one of them!


Just4mules (Julie)
October 20, 2015 LTHR
 
Day 16: Yesterday's massage worked wonders! While she was working on that area it was tough, I could tell she was hitting the right spots for sure! By this morning the sciatic pain was reduced immensely. I made another appointment for next week just in case it is still an issue then. My 4 hour work days are going very well. I am much happier working than not. I am still having insomnia and the burning "restless leg syndrome" like issues in the lower left leg at night. I have an appointment with my family doctor on Monday to discuss options for the insomnia. I am probably only averaging about 3-4 hours of restless sleep a night. I use a jawbone activity tracker so it tells me how much sound sleep and light sleep I had as well as how many times I woke up and for how long. I have never had insomnia issues before in my life and I hate it. Anyway, the hip is doing really well, I am putting less and less pressure on the cane every day. I will be able to remove the Prineo tape from the incision on Monday. I will post another pic on the hippy scars thread after that happens.

Hope all of you are doing well!




Just4mules (Julie)
October 20, 2015 LTHR
 
Day 19: The sciatic pain in the rear has gone away- so thankful! The week of part time at work went by quickly. No trouble at all, really. I am still having some insomnia, will see my GP tomorrow for that. Walking, walking and more walking with the cane. I do walk without it some inside the house, but find that I have a really bad limp when I do not use the cane. I am not sure what is the best way to transition off the cane? Do I just stop using it even though I am still limping badly without it and hope it gets better? Or do I keep using it and the limp without it will improve over time? Since I am not in PT, I am lost in this area. Any advice would be appreciated.


Just4mules (Julie)
October 20, 2015 LTHR
 
I am not sure what is the best way to transition off the cane? Do I just stop using it even though I am still limping badly without it and hope it gets better? Or do I keep using it and the limp without it will improve over time?
Keep using your cane until you feel totally confident and no longer limp. It sometimes takes awhile to build up the strength again in the op side. Once you start transitioning, use the cane if you start limping. You don't want to get into the habit of limping again.
 
Thanks @Jacey. I was at a loss as to how to proceed with this. The more I think about it, the more I am considering asking for a referral to PT in a few weeks. I am concerned about my range of motion and want to make sure I am doing the right exercises and stretches to get the maximum benefit of this new hip. When I think about getting on my mule, I can't imagine being able to bend my leg enough to get it done. He is 15'1 hands and I am 5'3. Since my stirrups are so high up I have to really crank the operative leg to reach the stirrup on mounting.

Day 20: I removed my Prineo tape from my incision yesterday and it looks really good. I will have to post another pic on the hippy scar thread. Still having insomnia issues, but have appointment with GP today, hopefully she can prescribe something to help with this. I start back full time today and I have been awake since 1:00 am. Sigh... I am not going to push it this week. If I am too tired or hurting, I will just come home. I have a business trip to Florida on Saturday for 5 days to attend a conference. The great thing about that is I can hit the beach whenever sessions are out. I also can retire to my room if I am not doing well. I had hoped to not need the cane for this trip but I don't think that is going to pan out. Oh well, I guess all in due time, right?


Just4mules (Julie)
October 20, 2015 LTHR
 
Thanks @Poppet. I do have to pull back at times and say whoa- you know you did just recently have a pretty major procedure done- take it easy!

Day 21: Three weeks! Time seems to have flown by. Yesterday I put in about a 7 hour day since I had to see my GP in the middle of the day. She prescribed some Ambien after discussing several options for insomnia. While there are some pretty wild episodes listed as warnings (driving, walking, eating, having sex- with no memory afterwards). She said they are pretty rare. She takes it herself and has no problems. Recommended taking 1/2 a dose the first night to see how it affects me. So I took it last night and went to bed around 7pm. Woke up wide awake at about 1230 am. Well it was at least over 5 hours of sleep which is more than I have had any night since surgery. Tonight I am taking a whole dose and hoping for 8 hours.

I noticed my hip was tired at the end of the day yesterday. It will take a while to build up my endurance for full time work I guess. I hope to be back in the pool this week - especially the therapy pool!

Cheers!


Just4mules (Julie)
October 20, 2015 LTHR
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom