THR Iliopsoas tendonitis post THR

Hi, @Just4mules! It's great to see you on the 'other side' and to hear of your progress. You've gotten great advice, so I'll just add my good thoughts for your recovery and agree that it does take time for old log leg to go away, but when it does...Hallelujah! :yay:

Take good care of yourself, friend! :)
 
Thanks Jacey, I will ask him about it at my follow up visit.


Just4mules (Julie)
October 20, 2015 LTHR
 
Hi Deep Breath, how are you doing? I am happy with my progress so far, just a little impatient to see the heavy leg go away!


Just4mules (Julie)
October 20, 2015 LTHR
 
It is nice to be home right? Even though there is no medical staff attending to me there is the peace and comfort of the familiar setting. Sorry about the crappy ride home. I bet the site of the final stretch couldn't come soon enough.

The log leg crept up on me through out the day Wednesday so I have been icing and elevating. Whooda thunk it. Log leg. I wonder if that's in the urban dictionary. Take care and happy healing


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi slapstep,

You said it about the log leg. I don't think any words adequately describe it enough for someone else to understand who has never had it. Yes so glad to be home! Though I am already bored to tears with doing nothing!


Just4mules (Julie)
October 20, 2015 LTHR
 
Pretty uneventful night. Woke up every three hours for meds. I am going to try to reduce the oxy during the day today, since I wasn't prescribed very many I kinda have to. Log leg is better, I can lift my leg into bed by lifting a little with my hands. Swelling is down some. I am going to shower today, that will feel very nice! I had some shooting pains on the front of my operated calf on and off all night. I was worried about a DVT but it seemed like a strange place for one. I had no other symptoms and as of this morning it has stopped. I hope to get outside for a short walk around the yard today.


Just4mules (Julie)
October 20, 2015 LTHR
 
@Just4mules please don't try and cut down on your meds yet. Still early days and you need your pain controlled to get more mobile. Ask your family doctor for more if you need them. You will know it's time to reduce your meds when you start forgetting doses.
 
@Just4mules, howdy. :) I'm doing good, thank you. I so understand your desire for the log leg to go away. You'll be amazed at how one day, very soon, you'll be able to move it and it will improve from there until you're up and down without giving it much thought.
Jaycey is so right (as usual!) about not cutting down on meds. They're vital. Healing is hampered when having to deal with pain.

Sending out good thoughts that you are 'log leg free' very soon and that your recovery continues to go smoothly. Hang in there! :flwrysmile:
 
I like it "Pretty uneventful night."

That's great. That's the goal me thinks. Hopefully tonight will be the same.

Take care.

Pete


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I made it outside twice today- yeah! It felt good to breathe fresh air. Walked around the property to say hi to the mules and horses. They didn't know what to think about me and my crutches. Hope tonight will be even better than last night.


Just4mules (Julie)
October 20, 2015 LTHR
 
Yes so glad to be home! Though I am already bored to tears with doing nothing!

I can imagine if you're used to being outside with your animals that you are going a bit stir crazy by now. This was the best time for me to have surgery because I normally hibernate after gardening season anyway. In other words, I'm enjoying being a slug right now lol!

Log leg is better, I can lift my leg into bed by lifting a little with my hands. Swelling is down some

I can scootch my leg off the bed but still have to lift it onto bed. Must be the adductor muscles are still traumatized.

You will know it's time to reduce your meds when you start forgetting doses.

Agreed. I've always been able to stop meds soon after most surgeries but for the partial knee and this hip, I don't plan on rushing things. Only having to take them about four doses per 24 hour period right now.

Hope tonight will be even better than last night.

Sending healing, sleepy thoughts your way. Snuggle up with a cuddly blanket, good book, warm tea and meds for a hopefully wonderfully restful night!

Kristi
 
Ok I was doing really well today until a few hours ago. I was using the arm crutches to go from the kitchen to the bedroom and I tripped over my own foot! I mean who does that? So in an effort to catch myself, I put all I my weight onto the new hip side rather suddenly. It is now VERY angry with me. Ugh, can't sleep, it's throbbing and I can not take any more meds until 100 am. Ice is numbing it a little at least.


Just4mules (Julie)
October 20, 2015 LTHR
 
Ouch! We have all had that first fall and yes, your whole body will be achy. Rest, ice and elevate. Hope things ease very soon.
 
Well it's taken me most of the day to recover from the near fall. I think I am back where I was before it happened. I got quite a work out crutching back and forth to the bathroom! Milk of Magnesia is no joke. Note to self, plan tripping and almost falling at a time when you haven't already taken a laxative. Still icing and elevating whenever I am not up and moving. I really want to go to church services tomorrow, but I am not sure I will be up for it just yet. I will wait and see how I feel tomorrow morning. I finally ate something substantial today. Still do not have much of an appetite. Just trying to keep energy up and eat healthy food. Leg is not as heavy, the log leg is fading just as you all said! I am so glad I have this site to refer to, otherwise I would be lost as to what to expect.


Just4mules (Julie)
October 20, 2015 LTHR
 
Hi @Just4mules Welcome to the group. I am one week ahead of you, so reading your posts is a reminder to me, what I went through a week ago. LoL
It's funny, but it seemed like a few days ago I woke up to a much lighter "log". All the knots, pain, and swelling have almost all dissapeared. I can move my leg so much easier. Getting in and out of bed and on and off the toilet are not such an effort. Im still not walking the way I'd like to be, still get a pain in my right butt cheek, and or my knee, but am certain, with time, I will be walking effortlessly.
Good luck to you, and know you will get better each day.
 
I m glad you posted that you are doing better because I was beginning to worry. Bummer bump in the road but now you can reset and carry on with a healthy recovery.

Take care.

Pete


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well it's taken me most of the day to recover from the near fall. I think I am back where I was before it happened. I got quite a work out crutching back and forth to the bathroom! Milk of Magnesia is no joke. Note to self, plan tripping and almost falling at a time when you haven't already taken a laxative. Still icing and elevating whenever I am not up and moving.

So glad your near fall turned out okay. That is scary stuff!

I'm with you gal on the laxative stuff. Been since last Sunday now. Haven't hurt or anything, just no action. Started stool softeners last night and drinking miralax cocktail lol as I type. Finally starting to feel some possible movement - hee hee!
 
Thank you everyone for your kind replies! I removed my outer bandage today and had to laugh because they wrote " do not remove" on the prineo bandage covering the incision. I guess they don't take chances a patient isn't listening or doesn't understand.


Just4mules (Julie)
October 20, 2015 LTHR
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Glad your recovery is proceeding well @Just4mules :) Like you the first I knew of my hip dysplasia was immediately post op when the surgeon told me he'd "found" it during surgery - and that it had "probably" been there since birth; I'm thinking that it's a fairly common scenario, though you'd think that having Xray, CT scan and MRI pre op would have found it... goes to show that the body still holds its mysteries! I'm having my other hip done "soon" and it will not be a surprise if it shows up in that side too :eyebrows:

Also like you I was VERY glad to have found this site BEFORE surgery, the medical staff were all great with info re what I call the nuts and bolts of the surgery (you know, we do this, saw that, hammer the other thing) but NONE of them mentioned Log Leg... I was fine for the three days in hospital, could get my leg in and out of bed myself no problems at all so maybe the nursing staff didn't think to mention it; but on Day 5 BOY did I get it.... if I hadn't known about it because of BoneSmart I would have been terribly worried, then again worrying is what I do :heehee:so many aspects of this recovery can only be explained or understood by people who've had a THR - and there's such a range of concerns/solutions here that one medical team may not have covered "your" issues anyway

Again like you I had awful calf pain, and like you was worried about DVT... turns out it was where the surgeon or his minion had held my leg to dislocate the hip; how do I know this? because the bruise that came out DAYS after all the other bruising (because it was so deep) was a perfect hand shape!! Phew! It was the last bruising to go too, like I said really deep bruising... it must have taken SOME force to dislocate that hip!

You'll really feel better everyday now (with a few "hiccups", prepare for those less than stellar moments, think "trajectory" rather than moment by moment :cool:) Once your system is functioning more normally (glad the MoM worked) and you can get out and about a bit things definitely do look up. Glad your near-fall didn't cause any long term problems, they rarely do but when you're fresh out of major surgery you are convinced that everything is Important with a capital "I"

I don't know how you're going with your Oxy... I went to Tramadol-only in the day pretty early because a) I loathed the way Oxy made me feel and b) it worked well for pain relief BUT I did stay with it for a couple of weeks at night.... if you need more get a script from your GP (personal doctor, whatever the term is in Colorado, lol) You are not given many at a time because there is a problem with it's illicit use - so those of us who genuinely need it get to suffer the consequences of those who abuse it (why anyone would make it their "drug of choice" is beyond ME as it made me feel awful :rotfl:) - not because you are only expected to use it for five days, or however many days worth you're sent home with

I think it's a great idea writing "Do not remove" on your dressing... I was fine but I suppose a lot of people would be pretty drugged up when given instructions (and there seem to be so many at hospital discharge!) and it would be easy to miss that one :rolleyes: My friend is a nurse and she gave me a bit of a hint... "loosen" the dressing a bit just before going to get your staples out (if you've got them, some people just have glue) that way it stings less when they remove it just prior to removing them - you don't lose five layers of skin five minutes before getting the staples out, less stinging all round :snork:. Just sort of lift the edges of the dressing and stretch it "out" from the wound, across your leg not away from your leg

Anyway, happy healing

Donna:flwrysmile:
 
I really want to go to church services tomorrow, but I am not sure I will be up for it just yet.
I would not recommend a trip out yet. You are only 5 days out of major surgery and still recovering from a fall. Perhaps someone from your church can visit you? I am sure they would.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom