Bilateral TKR Icing the knees<

Is the app called BoneSmart or is it Tapatalk? I have Tapatalk


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I am beginning week 10 after a BTKR and my flexion is still in the 70s! My BoneSmart guides have repeatedly told me to BE PATIENT and that it's totally within the realm of normal that I experience a lot of stiffness at this point and if I do too much, my knees look like melons (a little exaggeration). I am learning to quit obsessing about numbers. But, it's not easy as it doesn't feel at all normal for this healing to take what feels like forever. I want this healing to progress as quickly as possible, so I am not pushing it. I am going to PT 2/week and I do not let them push me. All the best to you.
 
Hello Hhaze. I’m almost 13 weeks out from a PKR and the sensitivity around the incision has been a challenge. I wasn’t able to tolerate pants, even loose ones, until around 8-9 weeks. Hello maxi-skirts and dresses. Thankfully I recovered during the warm season.

It gets better each week. One thing my PT told me to try was to very gently drag a dry washcloth across the incision each day, gradually increasing the friction to help desensitize around the site. Note that this was at 6weeks...when the wound was closed and well on the way to healing. At NO point was I to rub hard, dig in or otherwise chafe the area, but rather apply gentle movement to help. It’s better all the time and I look forward to the day I don’t even notice something on it. In the early days, a slight breeze that would cause my skirt to flutter against my leg drove me bananas.

Good luck!
 
@hedgehog entering week 7 here and I cannot handle anything touching the knees STILL. It keeps me up most nights. I can only sleep on my back which is near impossible for me to find any semblance of comfort. Since surgery, the longest I have slept is an hour. I've tried tramadol, oxy, flexural (muscle relaxant)...nothing lets me sleep. I see my surgeon on Friday. Hoping for some answers.
@DOUBLE TKR I have also learned to not stress over the numbers. I have been concerned for weeks. My right knee hasn't moved passed 80 in 3 weeks. my left is near 90. My knees look like melons as well. I long ago gave up my vision of having cute, bony knees.
 
Last edited:
Do you elevate your legs overnight? I found that not only did it help with the swelling, but kept my legs more comfortable enabling me to sleep better.
 
What do you do during the day that might affect your knees? Is there anything that hurts?
 
Last edited:
@hhaze sorry to hear you are struggling. This is a tough gig that’s for sure. I’m nearly 8weeks post op and the nights are getting better but still not a lot of sleep happening here. Just knowing that it is normal helps ! Hope you continue to improve as time goes y.
 
@hedgehog entering week 7 here and I cannot handle anything touching the knees STILL. It keeps me up most nights. I can only sleep on my back which is near impossible for me to find any semblance of comfort. Since surgery, the longest I have slept is an hour. I've tried tramadol, oxy, flexural (muscle relaxant)...nothing lets me sleep. I see my surgeon on Friday. Hoping for some answers.
@DOUBLE TKR I have also learned to not stress over the numbers. I have been concerned for weeks. My right knee hasn't moved passed 80 in 3 weeks. my left is near 90. My knees look like melons as well. I long ago gave up my vision of having cute, bony knees.

Ice and elevation are your best friends.

Once your swelling goes down you will be able to bend those knees. It is like trying to bend a cucumber vs. a string bean.

Can someone bring you some lavender lotion or pillow spray? Many people use this for insomnia. Don't put it anywhere near your scars, but breathing it is supposed to help with sleeping.

I found audio books were helpful too. Many libraries let you download them from home, so no cost and you don't have to leave the house. I would fall asleep listening to them, I think it helps distract your brain from everything else going on.
 
@Roy Gardiner i’m having minimal pain. Just the stiffness and frustration with lack of movement. During the day I’m active as I can be. I get up. Make my breakfast. Feed my dogs. I get on ice for about 30 min. Read books. Sometimes go on the deck and read to get some sun. I do my exercises. Ice again. Sit on the edge of bed and let gravity do its wonders. I went back to work this past weekend, but I just talk on the radio so it wasn’t too hard on me. PT is twice a week.

@KneedyinNJ i have a lavender inhaler that I’ve tried. I’ll download some books. I read a lot during the day (15 books since surgery).
 
That feeling of not wanting anything to touch the skin is awful. And the night time restlessness - ugh. I got the most relief from wrapping my knee in Saran Wrap/cling film. There is a video on the forum that shows how. You don’t wrap it tightly. The goal is not compression, it’s just covering the surface with the film. If your incision is still not healed up you need to put a paper towel over it before the cling film goes on.

I read this somewhere, maybe here, don’t remember. Maybe it’s in the video. It may not be true but it made sense to me. Anyway, it said that nerves have been moved around or cut. Nerves try their best to regenerate. They try to reconnect with the other part of themselves. All that regenerating works it’s way to the skin and causes that sensation of not wanting clothing to touch. But somehow the cling film settles the nerves down.

I don’t know. Im not a doctor and haven’t stayed in a holiday inn lately, but the cling film worked wonders for me.
 
@SusieShoes @chicklet I have tried the Saran Wrap... did you tape it down because mine just slid all over the place. I swear someone would make millions off inventing a light film sleeve for post op situations like this.
 
Last edited:
I also elevated, like Jockette and SusieShoes. Not being a back sleeper, that also involved numerous pillows and cushions stuffed here and there to make me feel more snug.

Just make sure you go to the bathroom before you start all the nighttime prep - wrap legs, adjust as necessary, use blue painters tape if this is a night the Saran Wrap doesn’t stick to itself like it’s supposed to do, get aggravated at it and unwrap, start over with new piece of wrap, get wedge and pillows all handy, get into bed, start arranging pillows and cushions - one under right hip to keep right leg from flopping over so bad, one under left arm to keep pillow under right hip from pushing you too far over, small one under left shoulder cause it feels good, small one under right shoulder to keep it symmetrical so you’re ocd doesn’t kick in, kick the covers around so they’re covering everything, use cane to get that bottom corner of covers flipped over right, get cpap mask on, turn off light ....well dang, now I gotta go pee again.
 
There's your million-dollar idea! Let BoneSmart know if you perfect it because, yes, it would be very useful!

I never used cling wrap. My incisions were never sensitive as other people's I've read about here. A little sensitive, to be sure, but not like yours. I think you could use tape (try hypoallergenic surgical tape) to keep the film on. Someone else will probably stop by with what they did.

A few people have written about creating or buying a "frame" for keeping their covers off their knee(s). Google "bed cradle" or find one on Amazon. It's another option.
 
@chicklet your reply made me laugh so now I have to pee again!
During the day I’m adjusting. I walk around house without a cane. I watch tv. Read. Puzzles. Eat (i feel so fat even though I don’t think I’ve gained anything except new metal knees). I still use cane to help up the stairs. I never nap. Lord knows I wish I could.
I thought I would be driving by now. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks...my daughter returns to school then!!
 
I also elevated, like Jockette and SusieShoes. Not being a back sleeper, that also involved numerous pillows and cushions stuffed here and there to make me feel more snug.

Just make sure you go to the bathroom before you start all the nighttime prep - wrap legs, adjust as necessary, use blue painters tape if this is a night the Saran Wrap doesn’t stick to itself like it’s supposed to do, get aggravated at it and unwrap, start over with new piece of wrap, get wedge and pillows all handy, get into bed, start arranging pillows and cushions - one under right hip to keep right leg from flopping over so bad, one under left arm to keep pillow under right hip from pushing you too far over, small one under left shoulder cause it feels good, small one under right shoulder to keep it symmetrical so you’re ocd doesn’t kick in, kick the covers around so they’re covering everything, use cane to get that bottom corner of covers flipped over right, get cpap mask on, turn off light ....well dang, now I gotta go pee again.
No wonder you all can’t sleep!
 
i’m having minimal pain. Just the stiffness and frustration with lack of movement. During the day I’m active as I can be.
My knees look like melons...
Could it be you're doing too much? Pain, stiffness, lack of movement are all symptoms of this. It's pretty hard to do too little you know.
Sit on the edge of bed and let gravity do its wonders.
What wonders? Is it helping? If it hurts, stop doing it.
 
@chicklet your reply made me laugh so now I have to pee again!
During the day I’m adjusting. I walk around house without a cane. I watch tv. Read. Puzzles. Eat (i feel so fat even though I don’t think I’ve gained anything except new metal knees). I still use cane to help up the stairs. I never nap. Lord knows I wish I could.
I thought I would be driving by now. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks...my daughter returns to school then!!

I had my surgery on a Friday, the following Monday I was sent to a rehab hospital and I was weighed. I had gained 20 lbs. That is all swelling. I had gained about 10 lbs in each leg from all that swelling. So, you have gained weight and in each leg and that is why you feel fat and cannot bend your knees all the way.
 
@Roy Gardiner I guess it’s possible I’m not icing and elevating enough. When I dangle my legs off the side of the bed, it’s does not hurt. I just seem to get more bend that way than when doing slides. Most days I feel as if I am not doing enough, but I don’t think I’m over doing it. I’m on ice as we type.

@KneedyinNJ wow. That’s a lot of gain!! But looking at each leg, it makes sense. And I was told the new knee weighs more than the old deteriorated one :)
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
Back
Top Bottom