Bilateral TKR Icing the knees<

I feel as if after 8 pm my mood worsens, my aggravation and frustration is at an all time high, I can’t get comfortable (restless legs), I can’t wait for bed yet when I get there, sleep eludes me. My pain is a bit worse at night of course, but it’s not like I did a lot today...both my knees are rebuilt!! Is this a mental block?
 
@hhaze
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Is this a mental block?
No, it is the reality of joint replacement surgery.
You are only 5 weeks out from your BTKR's, very very early in this yearlong or more recovery, most of us start feeling better around 3 months.
Wish I had a patience potion for you.
You may want to go back and read the recovery guidelines left for you in an earlier post.
 
@Pumpkln thank you. I’ve been reading this site for days. I’m still getting the hang of it and am confused as to where to post what. Thanks again.
 
You're doing fine with your posting, book mark your thread so when you have questions or updates about your recovery you can find it easily. Saw you were looking for the games room, it is in the Community link above, click on social, then games room. Here is a direct link.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/view/games-room.12/
 
@hhaze,
Issues with sleep are quite common. I don’t know if anyone who hasn’t experienced it. I don’t know the specifics of why, but something that was shared with me by my PA made sense. At night, as we try to relax and fall asleep, we become much more aware of the pain and discomfort with our knees. Apparently, at night is when our bodies do a lot of healing (and growing when we were younger). As our knees heal and nerve endings try to mend, they send off all kinds of signals that we apparently aren’t that aware of during the day because of all the other inputs we deal with. Sleepless nights were my greatest frustration between weeks 2 and 10. Afterwards, it got much better. I seldom have problems now.
 
Nights are definitely the worst, especially during the stage you are in right now. I agree with Pumpkin that it is reality. And NavyGunns PA’s explanation makes a lot of sense as to the why.

Someone (I think it was SusieShoes) mentioned the Saran Wrap a few posts back. It was amazingly effective for me. Somehow it helped my legs settle down at night (most nights). Not that I slept long periods at a time then because I did not. But the Saran Wrap did help. I usually put it on 2 or 3 hours before bed. Some nights it would get on my nerves after a little while and i would take it off and then 15 minutes later I would wrap my leg again. Some nights I did that multiple times. Oh well, it gave me something to do, all that wrapping and rewrapping.

It’s worth a try. :)
 
@NavyGunns thanks for taking the time to explain all that. That helps me understand the sleep issue. I also get really antsy before that...like I can’t sit still. I keep switching positions. THEN the sleep issues start.
@chicklet Ironically, I have done this with Ace Bandages since week two! And I do the same thing!! Take them off. Put them back on. Take them off. Back on. It’s like a party on my legs at 2 am .
 
I wasn't able to use the cling wrap method because I had rash and abscess issues. I was advised not to try the cling wrap method until everything on my skin was completely healed. And by that time (around five months) a lot of my nighttime issues had settled down. So I would just say one caveat is to make sure that everything is healed on the skin level before trying the cling wrap.
 
@Pumpkln That video is quite helpful. I will try it tonight.
 
@Pumpkln might I add, I am so impressed and jealous that this fella is post op at 3 weeks and bending like that and walking so well! geez
 
@Pumpkln might I add, I am so impressed and jealous that this fella is post op at 3 weeks and bending like that and walking so well! geez
Try not to think about how much further along this guy is. Most of us are struggling at 3 weeks! Many of us are still struggling at 3 months. It’s all very individual. (but I do understand your frustration!)
 
@Jockette definitely trying NOT to compare, just an observation. Impressive.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I did use his suggestion to put a paper towel over the incision and not have the cling wrap directly on it. I did that for a couple of weeks. My incision was pretty dry but there was one spot near the bottom that was a little iffy so I used the paper towel.
 
I know this is going to get moved, but I could not find my original thread to post this in. I don't find this site easy to navigate, but I do enjoy reading the progress of others to help my spirits. This is why I donated. Anyway, my question is...how often and for how long should I be icing my knees at this stage?
 
As much and as long as you need to or want to, just be sure you have a tea towel or other material between your skin and the ice.
 
Please bookmark your thread so you can find it easily.

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
A lot of people here use icing machines and they ice all night and as much as possible during the day.

I made up a bunch of homemade ice packs so I could have a fresh one ready at all times. I put them in a pillowcase before applying to my knee.

Are you using the BoneSmart app? I tried using it for a couple of weeks but found the site easier to navigate when I just use the internet on my phone.
 
Are you using the BoneSmart app? I tried using it for a couple of weeks but found the site easier to navigate when I just use the internet on my phone.
Thank you chicklet for sharing this. I also find it easier to use the site rather than the app on my phone or tablet. With the app, you can't use the "like, agree", etc. features, nor can you do quotes. I am "technology challenged", so I need all the help I can get, lol!! I've had a smart phone for 3 years now, and am still trying to figure out some aspects of it, I could use "Technology for Dummies"!!
:rofsign::rotfl:
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom