Bilateral TKR Icing the knees<

I use bonesmart.org on my phone and tab, too. It works great from the browser.
 
@hhaze I have the BoneSmart app on my phone but only use it for quick checks on what’s going on. I only use the BS website to respond to everyone and to update my own post.

Regarding your question about finding your own post, were you able to get that resolved? I ended up tagging mine as a “watch thread” so I just do a check on all the threads I’m following and there it is!

Don’t know about all you ladies with issues having anything touching your knees! I never thought my leg hair would EVER grow back! The itching and feeling like I had pins and needles pricking me all over drove me nuts! That doesn’t compare to all the nights my wife told me to get my “sandpaper” knee away from her legs! Complain! Complain! :rotfl:
 
Last edited:
@hhaze, I am jealous at your ROM! I am in week ten and I have not improved at all much past 70. I also have had extremely sensitive skin, and while it is finally diminishing, it is not gone. As I told my spouse, when a cat's tail accidentally brushes against either of my knees, it feels like little electric shocks. What I found over time that worked for me was once I got settled on my back (and I slept with my legs on one pillow, lengthwise, each) and the sheet settled on my knees, I just remained still and eventually my knees stopped feeling it so intensely. I still wear shorts all the time unless I'm going somewhere where they aren't quite appropriate and then I wear crop pants. I have no idea when I will wear long pants!!

@chicklet, I ALWAYS TO HAVE TO PEE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT! Regrettably, bi-lateral TKR did not "heal" that. It was horrible the first few weeks. Luckily I go right back to sleep, but unless I stop drinking all liquids like by 6:00 p.m., forget it. And I don't stop drinking my lovely hibiscus iced tea on these warm summer days. Sigh.
 
Oops. I just deleted a message I meant for my own thread! Apologies.
 
Last edited:
@DOUBLE TKR you will get there. Don’t be discouraged. There are others that have surpassed me! If your surgeon isn’t concerned then I think all is well. Sometimes they do MUA (manipulation under anesthesia), and I am hoping it doesn’t come to that for me (or you!)
 
Hey all..since I’m not supposed to start a new thread...hope you all see this new topic. I met with surgeon yesterday. He’s considering MUA on both knees and I’m discouraged and scared. I don’t want that. I’m at 92• each knee. So my question to you all...has anyone been told they need MUA and refused it? Or has anyone had it that can tell me it’s not that bad . Or any advice. I knew I wasn’t doing super great with ROM...but was hopeful. I still walk like Frankenstein.
 
He’s considering MUA on both knees and I’m discouraged and scared.
HE is, is HE? It's not his decision. It's yours. Unless you actually have adhesions then MUA isn't needed and normal stretching exercises will work.

What's your current situation re ROM and general knee condition (swelling, pain and the like)?
 
@Roy Gardiner that’s why I’m asking. I know it’s ultimately MY decision. And I most definitely don’t want to do MUA. My ROM is 92 degrees in each knee. My extension is 8 in the left and 4 in the right. Still some swelling. No pain. Major stiffness.
 
The majority of OSs won't even do a MUA if the knee is 90 degrees. Your knee is still swollen, so that's hindering your bend and extension. As that swelling comes down, the ROM will improve. It takes time and patience. A MUA will just set your recovery back, cause more inflammation and swelling and not help you at all. Tell your OS that you'd like to give your knees another month or so to heal and for the swelling to go down. What's he gonna do? Fire you??!! He can't, but you can fire him because you are the employer and he is your employee! What you say goes. Personally, I think that 92 is just fine for a bilateral that are less than 2 months old!
 
@sistersinhim I am in 100% full agreement! I have always been in the mindset of they work for me! I can absolutely fire them. I will not be coheresed into this procedure. My only concern is I won’t gain full mobility back. I’m guessing I will. I feel I’ve made great strides for 7 weeks bi-lateral and turned a corner after week 6. He said he would reassess me in 3 weeks. He’s not pushing it. Just said it’s on the table if I don’t improve more.
I still ice a few times a day. I’m assuming that is ok
 
Icing is great for your knees, as it elevating. If I have noticed correctly, most of the OSs that want to do a MUA are in the US. I find this strange and disappointing. Could it be because of our insurance? I hope I'm wrong.
 
So my question to you all...has anyone been told they need MUA and refused it?
I was told by the OS who did my RTKR that I would need MUA. I refused the procedure (you can read about it in my recovery thread KitKat 64). He was not happy about my decision, and I think that is why he refused to do my LTKR!! I don't have good ROM in my right knee, maybe 80-85, but I have total extension, and I can walk just fine. Never let any doctor or p/t person bully you into this kind of decision. I spent 3 years blaming myself for not having good ROM and not doing well in p/t, based on my OS attitude about refusing the MUA. I only learned recently (from one of the p/t's in the hospital with my LTKR and from BoneSmart) that previous injuries/surgeries can affect ROM after a TKR (this is also in my recovery thread). So, now I no longer blame myself!! Remember, it is your body, your decision!!
 
@sistersinhim OF COURSE it’s the US health care issue!! And it’s getting worse by the day! You should see the process I had to go through just to get scheduled for surgery! They just look for different ways to get your money. I’m sure they want to do the MUA just to bill me for something else. Add it to the list of embarrassing Components to the current US!

@KitKat64 I will go read your story. Thank you!
 
I am 17 months post op and my ROM is better now than it was at my 12 month check up.

This recovery takes approximately 52 weeks (one year ) and you are only 7 weeks into that 52. You have LOTS of time to improve!
 
My only concern is I won’t gain full mobility back. I’m guessing I will. I feel I’ve made great strides for 7 weeks bi-lateral and turned a corner after week 6. He said he would reassess me in 3 weeks. He’s not pushing it. Just said it’s on the table if I don’t improve more.
Tell your surgeon you'd like to wait at least another month before considering an MUA. During that month, concentrate on resting, icing and elevating your knee, to help decrease its swelling, and give your knee just a little, gentle exercise such as it gets from walking.

There's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom