TKR I think I'm doing OK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone had experience (or advice) about whether the quad muscle will come back to life or not or am I stuck in limbo? Perhaps @Josephine can help me on this one
I'm afraid not, sweetie. That's of of those "how long is a piece of string" questions. So sorry. :shrug:
But if you do a search for 'quad muscle not working' you will find any number of other members who have experienced the same thing.
 
A sincere thankyou to @Ellen & @Josephine for your support!

Ellen - we must be twins - I understand perfectly where you are coming from & at - I've had the frustration about not being able to reach things or getting stuck with the walker in a tight spot & have almost thrown the walker out the door:hissy:! Also, I have to sit on the bed to get the knickers on, & the pants, & the shoes! I am on anti-depressants (for unidentified neurological pain 10 years ago); I am also overweight :blush:.

After my marathon house work yesterday, I took a rest break & the time to have a really good think about where I'm at, & analyse if things are really as bad as I think they are; & a remark from my OS ago came back to me - "when you remember the state you knee & leg was in prior to surgery, it's going to take a while for all that damage to mend & heal & then get strong again - you can't wipe 5 years away in the wink of an eye!" So true, & if I had remembered that prior to writing my previous post, I could have saved myself 3 days of tears & the meltdown:gaah:.

@Josephine........thankyou...........I did look at quite a lot of posts about the quad muscle, or lack thereof, & yes, it seems others have had the problem too.....and have recovered - so I will not panic any longer.

As my time on the TASP program has finished, I have to return all the items that had been on loan from rehab to me. I was very grateful for the use of them:thankyou:. So, I have purchased on-line, a new wheelie walker:yay:, but I don't get the steak knives with it:shrug:. I get a complimentary same-colour-medically-approved walking stick :loll:(to add to the 3 I already have!). My new walker will be red:spin: with a burgundy w/stick! People will be so busy looking at my stylish gear they won't notice the person pushing it!:angel:

Off to a meeting tonight (DH is driving me there & will come back & get me later - thankfully we live in town now) so must go & freshen up. Thank you again dear friends - your support is VERY much appreciated. Hope you are feeling better to dear Ellen :friends:
 
No steak knives? Send it back straight away. :loll: You will look quite the style icon with your burgundy walking stick and red walker. Don't forget to match the handbag!!!!

I think maybe the meltdown was needed Kerry - otherwise you probably would not have sat down and had that think and felt more peace within yourself. I have been thinking and thinking as well and I KNOW that if a knee that won't bend and the inability to ride a bike is the worst thing to happen to me physically for the rest of my life I will indeed be fortunate. But knowing and actually accepting it are two different things. I will get there eventually though I am sure. And the main object of the replacement was accomplished I guess - no more bone on bone pain.

I am sure we will both make it through to the other side Kerry ... maybe slower than others but we will get there. Next time you get so upset like that though, private message me or something and we can "chat". Or swap emails and we can support each other that way too.

Let us know when you get your fancy wheelie walker ... don't forget to take a photo for us all to enjoy.

Take Care dear Kerry ... be kind to yourself and eventually we will whip these knees into shape.

Hugs ... Ellen
 
My new wheelie walker turned out to be Electric Blue & the steak knives:heehee:, er, the complimentary walking stick is bronze. Fashionista - I aint!! Had a good weekend :)- went out for dinner with friends last night, my lifelong friend called to say hello today, I had a sleep-in this morning & the temp. hasn't been too bad; so, all in all, a pretty good weekend:cheers:. This walker is better suited to me because I don't bang my toes on the tyres:tantrum: (only I could manage to do that!!) and is slightly smaller than the one I had from rehab. Will check in later in the week - have a great week everyone and anyone who is in pain: take your meds & be good to yourself :yes!:& I hope the pain is gone when you wake up tomorrow:SUNsmile:. Blessings. Kerry
 
Hi everyone, @Ellen.....Have just returned from a catch-up with my vascular surgeon about my lymphedema - he's delighted :yay:at the success of the stockings & my diligence in wearing them :flwrysmile: & doesn't want to see me for 12 months, or on an "as need" basis!! How good is that:yes!:! Went to outpatient physio yesterday & my PT concentrated on the quad muscle :bow: & actually encouraged me to walk unaided from one spot to another:scare:......only a short distance & baby steps - I almost cried that I hadn't fallen over!! (6 hours on the floor would be enough to scare anyone!). I do have a tad more power in my leg which I can see improving as time goes on........so I'm trying to be a good, patient girl! We are also getting some very much needed rain at I type:yay:.......only light, but water nevertheless. Was on radio this morning sitting in for another volunteer & am to do my own program tomorrow (as I usually do on Thursday) & got bribed into doing a telephone on-air interview. Why am I so willing (or stoopid!)! Better get on with some paid work now..........just thought I'd check in. Hope everyone is feeling comfortable. Love to all, Kerry
 
Hello dear Kerry ... What a great report from your vascular surgeon. It's just what you deserved - you put in a lot of hard work, sweat and tears with your bandagings and stockings and all through horrible heat. And how wonderful that you are starting to feel some power coming back to your leg. Your life with the radio station sounds very interesting. Great that you had some rain.

I actually walked out of the house and went to work today and forget my crutch. :hairpulling: I don't know how you can forget a crutch when you stagger around like a drunk sailor without it, but somehow I managed it. Was tempted to go back home and get it, but in the end decided to see how I went. The main thing is I didn't fall over or stumble or trip or anything like that. I did walk very slowly (even slower than with the crutch). I was so surprised at how nervous I was all day though. But all the limping and awkwardness was from the non-surgical leg.

Nearly bedtime for me. I have Thurs/Fri/Mon/Tue off to pack, move house on Saturday and unpack and put things in their new places, so at least can sleep in in the morning.

Have a great day tomorrow Kerry ... keep up the good work with your stockings ... Take Care ...

Hugs ... Ellen
 
Greetings to all....just returned from my 6 months check-up with OS - my surgery was 5.5 months ago & today my wonderful OS said she is amazed that I have done so well!:tada: And here was I thinking I hadn't done well at all & that this was as good as it gets:shrug:. Wrong! Because my quad muscle was wrecked long before I had the surgery, & then during the op it had to be cut in half, she said she thought I wouldn't do this well. That lifted my spirits a lot:happydance:.....she had a student orthopaed with her & he was very impressed with the fact I was also dealing with the edema! Felt a bit like a hero:dancy:! Just kidding!! But it did lift my spirits, as I know I have now more movement in the entire leg than I had a few weeks ago - only baby steps, but steps just the same! Still not driving, but that will come, I know. Celebrated our 45th wedding anniversary last weekend with a meal out with daughter & son-in-law on Saturday night, then lunch the next day with son & daughter-in-law + 4......so all in all, a very pleasant weekend. The stockings are surprisingly comfortable too. Had some rain & moderate temps, so good sleeping weather too:). Did my morning on radio today so been just a tad busy - enjoying it too! Best get back to some paid work.......just thought I'd check in! How are you going @Ellen? Hope the move wasn't too tough & that you are settling into your new home happily and comfortably:martini:. Blessings, Kerry
 
Just checking in. Knee seems to be going well....no real pain for about 3 weeks, so for that I am grateful. Even a little bit of lift in the quad muscle! I find myself doing things unconsciously, then frightening the life out of myself when I see where I am or what I've done! Sleeping very well. Not back to driving yet, but I believe that will come with time. I have to be patient! Co-hosted (with his daughter) a 90th birthday party for our former neighbour (who I was carer for, for 6 yrs). I obtained placement for him in our local retirement village as dementia was taking over. He has been there since July last year & because he has company all day, is eating regularly & eating nourishing food, being warm/cool when he needs to be, the dementia has slowed considerably & he looks very well & is happy. At the party he recited "the bush christening" without missing a word. My eyes filled with tears of joy for him & his family (daughter, s-I-l & grand-daughter.) I feel privileged to have been able to care for him & that he thinks of me as his "local" daughter. (Real daughter lives in Sydney). Another grandchild birthday this weekend as well as Easter bunny. Yes, I am very aware of what Easter is about, spiritually, and that is what my Christianity is based on....but I also think that little children should be able to enjoy the joyous part too - in an innocent way. Enough of me....I'm well, I'm happy. Love to all. Kerry
 
Sounds like you are doing very well. I agree with you about Easter! Can't wait to dye eggs tomorrow with my almost one year old grandson and keep some traditions going! Have a great weekend!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Good to hear from you and that things are ok.
 
Hello dear Kerry ... How pleased I was to read your last two posts and so happy that you are happy. You sound like you are doing so well and after having to deal with the oedema and everything. It is good that your stockings are comfortable. Yes, you will drive again one day and you deserve a big hug for being so patient about it. How lovely that your former neighbour had a great 90th birthday. He and his family must really appreciate all you have done for him and them. I hope you and your family had a joyous and fun Easter. Is it getting cooler where you are now? Summer seems to be going on and on over here, although the Easter weekend was absolutely glorious.

I have a date now for knee number 2 - 21st August. I really cannot believe I am doing it again, but I know I have to in order to get 2 strong knees. The OS said he will deal with the Achilles issues after he has taken care of my knee.

Take Care dear Kerry ... continue to be happy and enjoy your family and grandchildren ... sheer sunshine on legs are grandchildren. xoxo
 
@Ellen........hello dear friend. You are one brave soldier lining up for another TKR......but I do realise that it is necessary if you are to get pain free & totally mobile again - it's just the thought of doing all this again that would daunt me! We had a lovely Easter, as I hope you did, & having 2 long weekends in a row made it very hard to get back to 5 working days in this week! Our temps have dropped dramatically over the last 2 weeks - forecast 16 deg. celcius today and going down to 10 by the end of the week! Knee is going OK; still not driving & it's really getting to me - I am so used to being independent............"it's OK for now"...the "now" is becoming tedious! Enough of my whinge............I am really going OK & I guess time is the answer! Take care, dear Ellen. Much love, Kerry
 
Hello everyone...........it's been a while since I checked in...........my knee has been going well - no pain, stiffness at times, but nothing I can't deal with. Lymphedema is being managed quite well - it won't ever be cured but I can live with it - the stockings are surprisingly comfortable - do get a bit tetchy from time to time, but I just leave them off for a half day & it all settles down. My best piece of news is that I am driving again. Hubby was away for a few days last week, so decided to try around the block & went better than I thought it might. I still don't have a lot of lift in the leg, but enough. So, I drove 38ks to work on Friday (instead of the usual Tuesday - the boss is in USA at a wedding!) & was very happy with the results. Then drove to a grandson's 8th birthday party on Saturday. DH came home on Saturday late & got quite a surprise the car was missing - he phoned my girlfriend to find out where I was! Feeling a lot better about the whole thing - haven't had any tears for quite a while - I guess one has to adjust to a different kind of "normal" & that's OK for now! Hope everyone else is doing well too! Hope too, that @Ellen is going well. Love to all, Kerry:loll:
 
Good to hear that you are progressing and even driving. A bit more freedom is always a great feeling. Congratulations.
 
A little more progress........... & this is going to sound so silly! I do not have to use the higher toilet seat/chair any more - I can actually sit on the normal seat at normal height, & then stand up quite easily! One little step at a time. Yes, it's over 12 months since I had the horrendous fall, and 11 months since I got my new knee! There have been many tears, ups & downs, doubts, joys, frustration, but I am feeling the best I have felt in a very long time. I'm still using the wheelie walker outdoors but, if that's what it takes to lead a normal life, then I'm OK with that. My feelings are that if anyone has a problem with me using the walker, it's their problem - not mine!
Several of my same-age friends are de-cluttering their homes this last few weeks........good heavens - where do I start! I am trying to lead a quieter life - that's a big effort for me! I have been Treasurer of the local Theatre Co for 16 years & a member for 25 yrs. I declined re-election this year so I can have more time to give my family & myself. I'm still treasurer of the community radio station & work 1 morning a week on air for that - that's what I do enjoy. Haven't done much singing over the last couple of years (because of being scared of falling) but have the yearning to do more now that I am mobile AGAIN! I'm still working - why! - because I enjoy what I do & I'm good at it! (& humble too!) To all the new knee people - if you are feeling frustrated with your healing, take it from me - it does get better - it may take a while, but it does improve! Love to all. Kerry
 
Hi Kerry - wow what an inspiring update! So good for all of us to read. You are so positive and show improvements do happen at a year out! Thank you for the update which is filled with hope!
 
Kerry, @pakline ,how wonderful to hear that you have progressed so much. I still worry about our friend Ellen in Australia as patience is not her thing and she has struggled so but has done so much also. She is about to have the second knee done. Thank you for sharing your progress and your plans for more relaxed life but filled with things you want to do. :flwrysmile:Lee
 
Dear, dear Kerry @pakline ... how wonderful to read your post. I can't tell you how happy I am that you sound so positive and things are improving, although slowly. Using your walker ... pffft .... if you need to , you need to and hang anyone else. It is wonderful that you do not need to use your toilet raiser any more. I can sit on a normal height toilet, but can only get up by leaning on the cistern or putting my hand back against the wall for support and liftage. (I think I made that word up). Yes, get back into that singing again. Do what makes you happy. I love singing, unfortunately I can't sing, but it doesn't stop me from trying. I always tell my friends that the more they drink the better I sound. I have a great face for radio and a great voice for mime. (wanted to put in laughing emoticons here, but they don't want to work, so just pretend I did).
Kerry - you are a great endorsement for courage, patience and commitment and I do admire you. Take Care and I will try and stay in touch a bit more often. Love and Hugs ... Ellen
PS @leejaa - don't worry about me. I have decided that this knee will be a star performer and in another 10 months, I will be unstoppable. Hope you are going well also. I have presumed you are because you are so quiet on the forum, or maybe I don't look hard enough. Love and Hugs to you too ... Ellen
 
Dear sweet Ellen - I was so very, very pleased :wave: to see your post.......you have such a wonderful sense of humour........mine is completely "off the wall" & very sick, or is that sic!. As you know only too well, recovery has been very hard at times, but I figure I have one life, make it count. I actually got sick of crying:tiredwheel:........it wasn't fun & I had things I needed & wanted to do. Crying was wasting good time. I hadn't been driving, but about 5 weeks ago, my daughter phoned (she is quite ill at the moment - in desperate need of a hysterectomy) & she'd had the day off work, & phoned me to see if I could pick the kids up from school. Could I? Would I?:dancy: In a heartbeat, I would! The girls were so excited to see me (1 is now living with her Dad at the farm so I don't get to see her much - she is my "twin". ) And I was equally as excited to see them. From then on - no stopping me. The swelling is still in the lower leg, but the knee is really good. I've had huge difficulty getting solid shoes to fit & be comfortable, so, I "googled" & located some in the UK especially for lymphedema people & sent for 3 pr. 2 pr sandals & 1 pr of RED boat shoes. They are a size EEEE & are very comfy. The red is me making a statement - not sure about what, but a statement never-the-less:cheers:! Have got back to doing the grocery shopping too........funny how the little things become really important!!!! I so admire you for going for the second knee surgery......I guess surgery/replacement beats pain & falls any day! One good thing is that you will know when this or that happens, it's normal, having "been there, done that". I very much hope that your recovery on the next knee will be a lot easier & less painful than this one has been.
We have had a very cold winter down here..... -7 deg. overnight during the week & a maximum of 13. I feel the cold dreadfully:gaah:, so I drive everyone nuts having the heaters on. I'm still working; love what I do, as I said, & it keeps me out of mischief! Thankyou for your lovely comments about me........I'm no one special, but I do find if I tell myself something often enough, I end up believing it (I'm gullible, like that!!), and so I end up doing it - being brave, determined. But I do take some convincing!:rofsign:Keep well, my dear friend. If you would like to keep in touch off forum, my email is: pakline.payne@bigpond.com Bye for now.......love & blessings. Kerry
 
:hi:@Jozilla & @leejaa ...........thankyou for your kind replies. It is people like you & @Ellen who give people like me the courage to battle on & end up with a good outcome! :friends:I do hope everyone is having a comfy time :bath:. Love to you all. :loveshwr:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom