Guest viewing is limited

TKR I think I'm doing OK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Ellen....the stockings look ok....mind you they are not exactly fashion setters, but if they help reduce swelling they will be ok. I have decided that if they upset my knee, I will wait until either the cooler weather, or the post op swelling subsides. I will not inflict any unnecessary pain on myself! We have more in common than I could imagine...I am a comfort eater...scotch finger bikkies & chocolate have more appeal to me than lettuce, celery sticks or low cal crisp breads! I do the tears & sooky puss stuff well too...rarely get grumpy or cranky, just sooky...not in front of anyone, just by myself. The shower is where I cry...the water muffles the sniffles & sobs! We've had a cool change tonight with 18ml of much needed rain. The snails & slugs will be beating a path to our tomato vines tomorrow. DH planted a new variety, Blood Oath, this year & they grow to a nice size with a very lovely flavour. I have posted on your thread too. Please take care & enjoy our long weekend! Hugs & blessings. Kerry
 
I turned a corner today........just a little corner, but a corner nevertheless! I vacuumed & mopped right through our home without any help & scrubbed the filthy marks of the loungeroom carpet also. Felt so good! If you haven't had a TKR you could not possibly understand the feeling of accomplishment I had:happydance:, even thought I have kept our home clean for 45 years! Getting a little bit of lift ability in my op leg, so hopefully driving is not too far away!:yes!: Going to a belated Christmas party tomorrow and have to dress Australian - shorts, thongs & T-shirt are not my most attractive get-up!! I do have an Australian flag though (from our local discount shop), so thought I might make it into an apron - what does everyone think?:umm:or a superman cape? :scary:
 
Yaaay .... so, so happy for you. I remember the first time I vacuumed and mopped, I was exhausted, but felt so good so I know exactly how you feel. I so hope driving is not too far away for you. You help and support me so much and I am thrilled you have turned that corner. You must be feeling so good. And with a great day planned for tomorrow. I think you should wear the flag as a superman cape - for a super woman.:dancy:

I am grinning my head off sitting in my recliner here at home. You sound so happy.

Great work Kerry :dancy::egypdance::happydance::yay::tada:Have a great day tomorrow. Love and Hugs ... Ellen
 
Yaaay .... so, so happy for you. I remember the first time I vacuumed and mopped, I was exhausted, but felt so good so I know exactly how you feel. I so hope driving is not too far away for you. You help and support me so much and I am thrilled you have turned that corner. You must be feeling so good. And with a great day planned for tomorrow. I think you should wear the flag as a superman cape - for a super woman.:dancy:

I am grinning my head off sitting in my recliner here at home. You sound so happy.

Great work Kerry :dancy::egypdance::happydance::yay::tada:Have a great day tomorrow. Love and Hugs ... Ellen
 
Who knew we'd be happy to do housecleaning? But I'm with you. it is a great feeling of accomplishment. Just don't go crazy now. :heehee:
 
It is a bit amusing that when we're able to do housework, laundry, cooking, etc. we'd love to have someone else do it. Then when we're told we have no business doing any of that for a while, we can't wait to get back to it and feel so good when we're finally able to do a bit.
 
Hope all Aussies on this forum had a great day yesterday! I did:happydance:! With friends, we celebrated Australia Day, 3 birthdays, wedding anniversary, citizenship, & a belated Christmas party. There were about 40 of us and we had the best fun (I'm 68 & the youngest there was 18months old!). Party & food started at 12.30 and finished with more food at 11.30pm:friends:. It was all good, clean fun & I haven't laughed so much in a long time. I went with the flag draped around my shoulders like a Batman cape, a little flag on my wheelie walker (batmobile) & a sign on my front which read "made in Australia & proud of it". I couldn't put 100% Australian, because my new knee is from France:heehee:!!
From 42 deg last weekend:eeeuw: to 28 yesterday:yes!:, the coolness of the weather made the party even better! My knee enjoyed the day & didn't hurt at all (except for the usual bite as one goes from sitting to standing:sad:). It is also quite comfortable today - about to head out to our 5 year old grandson's birthday party, with cob loaf, frankfurts, fairy bread, freckles & cake! More food! What a weekend! (I've enjoyed every minute of it!). My PT lady phoned about tomorrow's appointment (I am working out of town then) and when I told her what I'd been doing, she said I didn't need any physio this week - I'd done it all in 3 days:iagree:! Lift in the leg is improving & I am so grateful for that. Have a great week everyone. Will check in again later. Love to you @Ellen! :friends:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello friends.............just checking in. After such a busy weekend I thought the week might be a little quieter & I could catch up on things..........wrong! Did my out-of-town job on Tuesday, worked at home on client's financials Wednesday, radio yesterday, physio yesterday afternoon & working on client's financials again today. Plus, I've just done the biggest wash & pegged it out in 38 deg heat!! Why am I saying all this..........not to win accolades or praise, but because I am grateful that I feel well/comfortable enough to do all that! Physio was great. My PT does not push me past my endurance level & is very encouraging & supportive - yes, I am lucky. I've been trying to improve upper body strength as well as the knee. When I first started on the arm grinder (just like a bicycle but without pedals for feet..........pedals for arms) in October, I did 123 revolutions in 5 minutes & my arms felt like they might drop off. Last week was 345 in 5 minutes. Yesterday was 377 in 5 minutes. Am I pleased........you bet I am! I see my OS next week for check up - I hope she is not disappointed at what I can't accomplish, but pleased with what I can. People don't seem to notice my wheelie walker - so why should I worry about it?! Going to be 41 deg. for the next 3 days so I'll be working inside minding the air conditioner - so no-one nicks off with it! Hope everyone on the forum is enjoying good things. @Ellen - you did mighty well with your PT - hope it gave you a big lift (in emotions). Blessings & Hugs. Kerry
 
I had to do a temp conversion--105F! Yes, I'd be in the AC too--wish I could send you some of our cold. :) You are doing well and have a good attitude.:thumb:
 
Hi Kerry ... What a lovely fun and love filled few days you had. And still having a busy week, but you can hear how happy you are to be doing all these "normal" things. Your Australia Day sounds like a fantastic time was had by all and especially yourself.

Yes, you are right - I loved my PT - so good to be doing something I used to do, though not at the same intensity of course. My personal trainer is a lovely lady, knows me well and just adapts so readily to what I can and can no longer do. Next week we are going to incorporate boxing for some cardio It will be interesting to see how I go boxing while sitting on a swiss ball. Last night I went to the local pool with a friend from work and while she did her lap swimming, I walked from shallow to mid pool and back a few times, then floated on a noodle and did some mild bends and straightens. Surprisingly, it was freezing in the pool and really cold when the evening breeze blew, but it felt good. Today is a do nothing and ice day.

Wow your accomplishment on the arm grinder is amazing - maybe I should get one of them seeing as how I can't pedal a bike properly yet.

You are so good to be giving up your time to mind the air conditioning. Heaven knows what might happen to it if it wasn't so beautifully looked after. It has cooled off nicely here and only need the fan on, so it is very enjoyable.

I think the OS will be very proud of what you have done when you go next week. I am very proud of you. And you sound so happy at the moment. That will make her feel good for you.

Keep up the good work Kerry and take care ..

Love and Hugs ... Ellen:flwrysmile::cheers::thumb:
 
Hi dear Ellen,You are NOT a sook......none of us are. We are all just trying to live the best life we can & deal with pain & frustration at the same time. I saw my OS today & surprisingly she was pleased with my progress. She did say that my knee was in such a mess (bone fragments from falling, twisted tendons & bruised nerves) that she's surprised I've done as well as I have. I took that as a kind of backhanded compliment! I told her about my quad muscle being so weak I can't life my leg to do a fast stop in the car if needed. She said it will take time but it will happen (reminded me of a haircare ad that was on TV years ago:loll:) and suggested I get a pedal gizmo to have on the floor when I'm watching TV or the like and pedal away to get the muscle awake & working again. It has been atrophied for so long it's going to take a while to kick into gear again, but, it will happen! She also said that wearing the stockings & getting the swelling down will help a lot too.........she reckons there would be a couple of litres/kg of fluid in the operated leg. When I said that my DH was having to drive me everywhere I needed to go, her comment was "well, he will just have to suck it up princess, won't he!" I felt a lot easier & reassured when I left the consultation. I saw the podiatrist also today & she did my toenails so next Monday I start with the stockings - hopefully the weather will be a bit more user friendly by then! I didn't want to snag my new hosiery ($243 worth) with rough toe nails!:groan:Did my radio program this morning & really enjoyed myself. I am putting a huge effort into staying positive & happy.Hope everyone is well today. Love to all. Kerry
 
Hi Kerry ... I am so pleased the OS was happy with your progress. That must have made you feel good, especially with all the damage the knee had. Yes, you will have to work on building up that quad. One of the best things for that is riding a bike :gaah: My OS said he wants me on a bike all the time building up that quad, but I don't think it will work if you can only go forwards and back, forwards and back. :headbang: And it won't happen overnight, but it will happen (I have a sudden urge to wash my hair). $243 for the hosiery? Well, I guess they are special stockings and not just nylons. I hope the temperature is kind to you when you start wearing them with your newly trimmed toenails. If you can reduce the fluid and swelling, I am betting things will be so much easier for you.

I'm glad your radio program was a good one for you. :)

I have had a couple of setbacks the last couple of days, including a fall, but I woke up this morning and that is definitely a bonus.

Take Care Kerry and let us know how it goes with your stockings on Monday ...
Have a great weekend ...

Love and Hugs .. Ellen
 
Hi Ellen - been thinking of you. Sorry to hear you had a fall. Are you alright? Is it because of the tkr? That is the one thing that has me terrified as I am very clumsy. Usually tripping up the stairs or into furniture. Then add snow and ice. I use a cane when I leave the house and am keeping my fingers crossed.

I went back to work this week but only worked four days. We had 13 inches if snow on Wednesday so I wasn't going anywhere in that mess. Work however turned out better than I thought. I sit a lot but would stand and take short walks often. I can elevate and ice but it was definitely not very comfortable. Time flew by and I felt like I accomplished a lot. It was also great being with others and just laughing and enjoying my coworkers.

I am definitely an introvert so I tend to isolate myself which is what I did with this surgery. I felt like I had to do this in order to heal. I didn't realize how much I missed the daily interaction of a lot of people.

Let us know how you are feeling. Have you decided on the surgery for the other knee yet?

All my best to you. Your support has meant a lot to me.

JoAnne
 
:console2:Hello dear friends, haven't been posting for a couple of days - waiting to see how the new stockings panned out. So far, so good. They are reasonably comfortable so that is a bonus. Worked out at the duck farm yesterday & my knee wasn't happy when I got home:gaah:. This is not meant to sound gross but..........the toilet at the office at the duck farm is much lower than the average one (had a second floor put down but didn't raise the loo, just built the floor around it.:groan:) so when one needs to visit the loo the sitting down is painful because of the swelling of the lymphedema on the knee & the getting up is worse. Men don't realise how lucky they are!:yay:I have ordered a booster seat (sounds like I'm 2 yrs old!) which should make the visit much easier. I will also get one for the radio station "little girl's room"! Other than a very painful day yesterday :tantrum:(took some Ibuprofen, iced, & elevated immediately I arrived home:zzz:) the week hasn't been too bad. Have also ordered a (bike) pedal machine which I can use for my feet and/or arms - similar to the "arm cruncher" at the PT gum!Very, very hot this last week (5 days of 40 deg. celcius) but we are forecast rain for Thurs. Fri & Sat & much milder temps - hope it all eventuates! Have a lovely day/night folks. Blessings. Kerry
 
How things change. Had difficulty getting the stockings off last night.:hairpulling: Frustration won.....& I cried my heart out:scare::beg: (DH wasn't home). Severely reprimanded myself to get on with life. If I am honest, I have been tearful for a couple of days & last night + the relentless heat was just a trigger for a sooky-puss effort. Am ok today. Rain & cooler temps are on the way! I am really fed up with this leg :tantrum:....I'm only human. Rant over!
 
Exactly--you're only human. Though heat is a distant memory for me :wink: --I'll be miserably hot in July--and that really messes with your sleep and moods.
 
At my last check-up with my OS (2 weeks ago) at first she was shocked that I was still using the wheelie walker outdoors. Once I told her I couldn't lift my operated leg from a sitting position to use the brake & accelerator in our automatic car (amongst other things) & that was not good for me as I am super independent, she understood & said that it was my quad muscle that was the problem.

Given that the leg had been troublesome for about 5 years (countless falls) with both a shot knee & lymphedema I assumed it would take a long time to rehabilitate. I have just completed 4 months PT with the rehab centre & still doing all the things I am supposed to be doing for the leg/knee. I've just started wearing the compression stockings - they're bearable. This morning I have vacuumed, mopped, done a huge load of washing - I'm tired (that's OK) but happy I achieved all that. Now my mind is dwelling on what I can't do.

I get a feeling now & then that this is as good as it is going to be even though the OS did say it will take time, but it will happen. I guess I could sum it up by saying that the more I want to do, the less I find I can do - it's like 2 steps forward, 1 step back. I am disgusted with myself for letting this get on top of me as I have been positive all the way through up to now. My family think I'm managing fine - they don't see the tons of tears I've shed this last week.

I'm not depressed - just disappointed & feeling rather alone in my "misery guts" place just now. Anyone had experience (or advice) about whether the quad muscle will come back to life or not (I have a mini bike for exercising the knee) or am I stuck in limbo?
Perhaps @Josephine can help me on this one. Any support on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

On another note..........has anyone heard from Maggie May - she had open heart surgery some weeks ago - do hope she is OK. Thank you for allowing me to vent.
 
Kerry my dear friend ... how upset I feel for you. You have indeed been so positive and sometimes I have felt like such a whinger when I am throwing my little tanties. You have had such an extra road to travel to recovery with the lymphedema on top of recovering the knee. I think that sometimes it just all adds up and we have a period of thinking when is this going to get better, because it feels like we have been doing all we are supposed to do for ages. I wish I could fly over there and give you a big hug.

Don't hide your tears from your family. They will never know of your internal struggle and they can't provide the emotional support if they don't know. They won't think you are weak or anything. This is such an emotional and physical struggle. They can see your courage and determination physically, but they need to know how hard you are working emotionally. Sometimes it is just the simplest things (like not being able to get stockings on or off) that are the final straw. The other day at work I tried to reach something on the far side of the desk and couldn't, so stood up to do it and couldn't and then I couldn't get the crutch off my arm and knocked some stuff over and finally I lifted my crutch and threw it on the floor. Everyone thought I had fallen off the chair with the noise and came rushing over and there I was standing up and glaring at this poor innocent crutch lying on the floor!

You are such an inspiration to me with your cheerfulness in face of much bigger odds than I have had to face and I wish I had done more with your inspiration, but I am almost beaten now. I didn't think I would ever say that, but the constant fight with no improvement has worn me down.

I hope the cooler temperatures have arrived for you and have arrived with much-needed rain. It has been very hot here the last couple of days, but nothing like the unrelenting days of heat that you face.

You would have felt so good after doing all that housework. It makes you feel kind of "normal" doesn't it when you can get in and do what you usually do? I have had a kind of lazy weekend. The house is going on the market soon and I did go through and wash all the doors down and the frames etc. Way too many doors in this house and just when I thought I was finished, I remembered the big double doors at the front - but I did get it all done although I was a bit disappointed with how hard it was to get to the bottom of the doors.

It's going to be a big step for me. I have never lived on my own. When my ex and I first separated my daughter was already living out of home and my eldest son went to live with Geoff because he didn't want him to be on his own and I lived with my two younger sons and then after a few years, my youngest son's partner also came and joined us and then I got into this strange situation with sharing a house and mortgage with Geoff. Now with the house going on the market I am going to rent for a while and it will be just me and the dogs. I am finally, at the ripe old age of 59, going to live on my own. Eeep.

I understand perfectly where you are coming from with toilets. I still have to get up and down off a toilet seat by levering myself by leaning on the cistern and pushing, or the wall if no cistern. And if I come across a toilet that is shorter than others, I just groan with frustration and do the best I can before having an accident.

I do know exactly how you feel Kerry my sweet and I guess all we can do is keep doing the one step forward, two steps back dance and hope like crazy that one day we can take two steps forward and none back.

I won't tell you to stay strong because I know you will, but do not be afraid to have crying times - they do not mean you are weak or sooky or anything. They simply mean that a strong person has fought for a long time and needs that release.

I will be thinking of you Kerry. Hopefully the cooler temps have arrived for you and your booster helps with getting up and down off toilets. That's not a bad thought. Maybe I should carry one around with me.

Have a great week gorgeous lady ...

Hugs ... Ellen
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom