Guest viewing is limited

TKR I think I'm doing OK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I went for a walk around our yard with the wheelie walker on some roughish terrain & managed quite well...felt good about myself. Then I decided to have a go at driving....that did not go well. I still do not have any leg lift from a lying or sitting position....my quad seems to have deserted me! I cannot lift my leg into the car by it's own power (have to use a leg lifter) & can't lift the leg for brake or accelerator. Feeling frustrated as I am sick of asking for help...I am a doer not an asker. I have been doing ok...so I thought...but this inability has knocked me for a six. My PT says be patient...it's been15 weeks & I've done every exercise she has given me. Now my tears are flowing in fear that driving will be a thing of the past! @Josephine, I need your input please.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, but first I have some questions to ask you:

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine)

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

6. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! reps, sets and session and all that)
 
I don't know if you are still taking pain meds, but if you are then that may be why you are emotional. While taking my pain meds I was angry part of the time or depressed and snappy the rest of the time. As soon as I was off all pain meds (Opiates) and was just taking tylenol, the tears and angry feelings went away. Living with an uncompassionate mate doesn't help you any either. I bet if he had his leg cut open and sawed on, etc, he would be a mess too. :heehee: Don't worry, you will be ok in time. Its a hard surgery and a hard recovery and takes time.
 
Don't get discouraged Pakline. I'm certain that you'll get that driving thing down in due time. Everyone recovers differently and from what I've read, you're doing great and have a wonderful attitude. I have issues with my quads as well. Up until yesterday I couldn't lift my log (what I called my TKR leg) one bit on it's own, as hard as I would try. My PT had sent me home last week with the homework of being able to do a straight leg lift. HA! I went back yesterday to show him that although that didn't happen, I was finally able to lift my leg a whopping 1" off the ground, on it's own, when I was sitting. For some reason, I found it 'easier' when sitting. He was impressed but still wanted me to try from a lying down position so I bent my good leg, grabbed onto the sides of the table, locked my knee (as much as I could as I have some issues with getting my leg straight), closed my eyes, grit my teeth and gave it my best shot. Nothing. Boo. He told me to try one more time and I did. As I was saying that I couldn't do it, he told me to open my eyes and what do you know? My leg was a teeny bit off the table. All by myself!

I promise that you will be able to do it. It's all about baby steps. Try working on lifting your leg up from a seated position first and just don't give up.

I'll keep good thoughts and please keep us posted!!
 

Dear Josephine........here are the answers to your questions. THANKYOU in advance @Josephine

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine)
Answer: no pain = 1
2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?
Answer: no pain meds........no pain. If my knee gets sore/tired I take 2 x Tylenol.
3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?
Answer: 3-4 times per day for approx. 20 mins each time - usually just after meal time.
4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?
Answer: 3-4 times per day for approx. 20 mins each time - usually just after meal time whilst icing. Also elevate whilst watch TV at night (TV in bedroom).
5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc.,
Answer: Vacuuming, dusting, washing, cooking, cleaning (all except shower recess - my TASP lady does that for me - rehab), do shopping accompanied by daughter. She pushes shopping trolley - I push wheelie walker.
6. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! reps, sets and session and all that)
Answer: mini squats - sets of 10 = 3 times per day (before icing)
lunges x both legs - some - anytime I'm standing near the sink, table, etc.
side (leg out to side) stretches - sets of 10 twice a day
PT at rehab gym 2 days per week........balance, mini lunges, arm grinds (355 in 5 minutes yesterday),
heel to toes rocking
up on tip toe & back - sets of 10 x 3 times a day
marking time - sets of 20 x 3 times a day
I am a work-from-home accountant, so also do some marking time & stretches when I stand up to give my knee a rest - it gets stiff from sitting at the computer etc. - probably every hour or so.

Thank you for your prompt reply, Josephine. I really appreciate it. It's 12.40pm here in Oz.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ellen..........thankyou! I appreciate knowing that I am not alone on my journey. Deep within me I know I will eventually be OK, but it's the everyday things that frustrate me:scratch:. I have been a coach driver, taxi driver, harvest truck driver, driven every imaginable piece of farm machinery - and now I can't even drive our car:gaah:! My DH has been away all week & I wanted to surprise him with "I'm back driving!" - maybe next week. When I look at how far I've come - I'm pleased but.............:iagree: You are so correct about everyone healing at different rates - a friend was walking unaided at 5 weeks out.........! Again thankyou for your support:thankyou:. Sweet dreams (it's day time/lunch time here in Oz). Best wishes, Kerry
 
Yes, I gets frustrating waiting to be able to drive. It will come. Hang in there.
 
(I'd love to know what 'mini squats' are!)
If you are already having problems with your legs, exercising more than twice a day is always ill-advised in my opinion. This is my recommendation to get a handle on your lack of muscles power!

sets of 10 = 3 times per day - do them twice a day
mini squats - stop these for a while, give your legs a rest
lunges x both legs - limit these to a total of 6 a day on each leg
side stretches - sets of 10 twice a day - limit these to a total of 6 a day on each leg
up on tip toe & back - sets of 10 x 3 times a day - stop these for a while, give your legs a rest
marking time - sets of 20 x 3 times a day
- stop this for a while, give your legs a rest
some marking time & stretches, probably every hour or so - stop the marking time for a while
Answer: no pain = 1
Are you absolutely sure of this? Nothing like soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling or stiffness? These are all types of pain and need to be medicated. But your Tylenol would be fine as long as it's 1,000mg up to 4 times a day.
 
@Josephine............thankyou again for your reply & all advice gratefully received & taken on board. The problem with the legs is lymphedema which is bandaged with pressure bandages & changed twice a week - which means I get to shower twice a week as well!! Not ideal........but we have to get the edema under control so I can get into compression stockings. I have been putting the tightness in the knee down to the bandages, but maybe I'm wrong. I do take the Tylenol 4 times a day when I have the need to. I am praying the strength will come back into the quads so I can drive & be independent again! Mini squats are: holding on to one side of something sturdy & bending the knees with the bottom stuck out (like you're going to sit) very gently.Thankyou again. Kerry
PS: can we please mention MaggieMay in our prayers.........she is having open heart surgery tomorrow (Monday), she & I have become good pals - we are in daylight on Sunday at the moment - I guess it's night time for you. Love, Kerry
 
I don't know what Marking time is in your list of exercises. I had to do lots if quad muscle tightening (I don't remember what it's called) and still do them. I was able to lift my leg and am thinking that helped. I'm no expert but didn't see it in your long list of exercises.
I wish you great success!

All the best,
Betty


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@Josephine. My dear friend, this is like a bolt from the blue.............thinking back to prior to my surgery, I now recall that I had progressive difficulty over about 5 years lifting my leg to use the brake in our car. I was blaming the knee for the lack of ability - the worse the knee got, the worse my leg power got. Having now read a couple of other posts about the subject & had a think (as well as a cry) I realise that because I had weakness before, I am bound to have weakness after, possibly more so - makes sense, & what I need to do is work on my quad muscles, gently, to kick start them. The fact that the leg is also heavier because the lymphedema worsened is probably a contributing factor also. The bandaging for that is going well & all things being equal we should be able to order my stockings in about 2weeks time. I see the vascular specialist on 30/1. I pride myself that I am reasonably intelligent, but it would seem that the obvious escaped me this time.:hissy: I had developed other ways of doing things to compensate for my knee and it was so protracted that I had forgotten what was "normal". Thank you for allowing me to whine! Best wishes, Kerry
 
Hi Kerry ... Sorry I haven't visited for a while. Please don't stress about the driving too much. As I said, a couple of weeks before I drove I tried and there is no way I could push the clutch in. So maybe in about a fortnight, try again and it might work for you. Driving will be back in your life again.

I am so glad your swelling was not as bad as when first bandaged. Soon you will be in those stockings and taking great strides forward - I am positive of that. I know how heavy a normal TKR leg feels, but factor in things like lymphedema and I should imagine how much heavier the leg would be.

I hope you have been handling the heat of the summer alright and coping well with your bandaging in place. I am dying to get in our pool - it looks so lovely and cool - but even if I threw myself in, I would probably have to wait for a flood to float me back out.:rotfl:

It is back to work for me tomorrow, after 3 of the most frustrating months in my life, but it will be good to be around people all day and have something to occupy my mind with other than cryptic crosswords.

I will have some special thoughts for MaggieMay. It will be a big day for her tomorrow.

Take Care Kerry and I will visit again soon.

Hugs ... Ellen xoxo
 
My compression stockings have been ordered, so for now, no more bandaging! The last lot was just way too tight & by Wednesday morning at 4.30am I had had enough. The left leg felt like it had a tourniquet around it & was paining big time:tantrum:. The TKR was burning, throbbing etc. & I was crying:cry:! So, got the scissors my PT had lent me & I took the bandages off - what a relief. My TKR ached all day Wednesday & Thursday & I found myself using the walker indoors again:gaah:. By Friday it was bearable (after icing, icing, elevating, elevating & plenty of Tylenol!) & by Friday night it was quite comfortable:). I am now back walking unaided indoors & still use the wheelie walker outdoors. I have some new exercises to do to improve my TKR lift to be able to get back to driving:cheers: & they are helping. Friday night I slept the best I had all week.......and when I rolled over to get out of bed this morning, my right leg came with the rest of me:yes!:!!! (It usually stays behind & I have to use my hand to make it catch up!:eeeuw:) So today has been a good day & I feel better about the whole scenario:yay:. I don't want to speak too soon, but my right leg does seem to have more power & is going almost to where my brain tells it to:cheers2:. (I could play with these little emoticons all day!!!:angel:) I hope everyone is feeling OK. Good night, dear friends, love to all, Kerry
 
For the 4th day in a row we are having over 40deg temps, so I'm staying indoors to make sure nobody steals our air conditioning (ducted evap)!:heehee: Even though it was a very hot night I had a good sleep (our a/c went until 4 am) & my knee is comfortable today. Have been walking indoors without any aides (still no style about my gait) and feeling OK. Have been reading some older posts & find that there are others who have dealt with the same length of recovery that I am. And, just like me, they were frustrated, teary, and hopeful! So now I do realise that I am not dragging the chain after all........just taking a little longer to get back to normal (oh dear! I've almost forgotten what "normal ' is for me:giggle:). Patience is definitely not one of my strong points! :sigh:. Have a lovely day/night everyone. xx Kerry
 
Hi Kerry ... what a lovely inspirational post with all the emoticons (I love them too). I hope the compression stockings prove more comfortable than the bandaging. How will they feel in the heat, do you think? :yay: for the right leg in following its rightful path out of bed. :loll:Little things like that are just so amazing after a TKR. We don't realise how much we use our knees for things until we either can't use them or the use is very restricted. I remember once years ago my neck went into spasm and I couldn't move my head up or down or from side to side. I was totally gobsmacked to find that getting out a chair was so much harder with my neck "frozen". Who would have thought that? :rolleyes:

I wish you a wonderful week ahead, with lots more little improvements to your knee AND the lymphedema.

Love and Hugs ... Ellen:snow dig: (something to help you feel cooler)
 
Hi Kerry ... Sorry for harassing you. Just popping in while I am at work (:whistle:) to see how you are going with the heat and the stockings, if they have been fitted yet. I hope your air conditioning is safe and hasn't been whisked away by someone else in need. :giggle:

Take Care ... Let us know how you are doing soon ...

Love and Hugs ... Ellen
 
Hi Ellen; my apologies for the delay in replying to you. Never, ever, think you are harassing me.........I love to get your messages and enjoy reading them. Like you, I have been at work all week.........even though I do most of my work from my home office, there is one client I go to their office. I had been keeping their work as up to date as I could but obviously there is some stuff one has to be at their office to do, so, I spent 2 long days there last week & again this week, worked on radio yesterday morning, then went to another client's premises at 4.30pm to do what was supposed to be a 1 hour job:hairpulling:.........I arrived home at 8.30pm:sigh:. And in all that we had 4 consecutive days of over 40 deg heat! I was sooooooo very weary last night & my knee was screaming at me. The best part of the day was my DH & I dined out for lunch:SUNsmile:! As far as my knee goes, I am just cruising along hoping for that magical day when it is all healed & ready for action! There is no point me stressing about it......I only get grumpy & cranky then:gaah:. My stockings arrived yesterday & we are going to try them next week (the PT is unavailable 'till then & she insists I try them with her assistance) - which I think is very thoughtful of her. Yesterday I heard of a local businessman who had both knees done early in 2013 and he was still using his walker in September (for security), so I didn't feel such a failure after all! He is now going horse riding with friends down in the Snowy mountains area on weekends! There is hope for us yet!:yay:
I know if I lost about 20kg in weight my knee would be a lot happier, but as my surgeon said in July last year "how can you lose weight when you can't walk about to do so while your knee is such a mess". That's a pretty good copout for me, but I really must tackle that mission very soon! Hope you've had a good week, dear friend, & enjoy your Australia Day long weekend. We have our 5yr old grandson's birthday party to attend on Monday:cheers2: & a belated Christmas party:spin: on Sunday for friends who own a restaurant. We are just getting a cool change with the promise of 40ml of rain.........sounds good, hope it happens!!:yes!: Will catch up over the weekend. Hugs & blessings, Kerry
 
Hi Kerry ... I did not mean for you to apologise. Obviously you have a very busy life ... I just wanted to make sure everything was going as well as it could. That heat does not sound very comfortable to me at all. I am afraid I have not been as sensible as you and have been stressing about what obviously cannot be hurried and fixed quickly. I don't tend to get grumpy, but teary and such a sook. Very self-absorbed. If I lost 20kg I too would be a lot more comfortable and my knees would thank me for it, but I am such an emotional eater and of course, I do not head straight for lettuce and carrots. :snork:

Fancy thinking you were a failure for using your walker. It is better than face planting it every time you walked more than 3 steps.

Good luck with the stockings next week. I hope it is not too hot from now on and that your stockings do not get annoying.

Sounds like you have a good weekend ahead of you. Hope your grandson has a great time at his birthday party.

Enjoy every minute of your weekend ... take it easy .. remember to give the knee some time off and take care dear Kerry ...

Hugs ... Ellen
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom