TKR I think I'm doing OK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Pakline (Kerry, is it?) ... I have just read through your story. You are really doing so well, especially with the additional problem of the oedema to deal with. I am 6 weeks out today and even with just normal swelling (of course I think it is the worst swelling in the world), I can barely bend my knee, and I know it is the amount of swelling that is holding me back, so it is my guess that once you have that oedema under control, the rest will just fall into place.

I am so sorry you had the teary sessions, but I am realising that those episodes help us to really cherish the small gains that we make and this recovery is all about small gains.

Please don't second guess yourself in regards to having met a friend who is going gangbusters after 4 weeks. Everyone heals at different rates and in their own time. I have adopted what I call "knee time". I have sort of fashioned it after a holiday I had in Fiji where the locals have their own time - Fiji Time - where things happen so slowly, but they do happen - all in good time. So I have decided I am on "knee time" and my knee is going to let me know what to do and how hard to press it. I have been a lot better since then and dare I say it, a bit more content????

Your oedema specialist and PT seem to have only your interests at heart and I think you really need to be kinder to yourself and let go for a while and lean on others. Your daughter sounds very special indeed and very supportive.

And you ARE really doing quite well, just a bit hard on yourself I feel. Please take care and I hope that between the vascular doctor and your PT, a program can be worked out that will have you much more comfortable and recovering smoothly.

Have a great day ... Ellen :flwrysmile:
 
pakline, neither you or your friend is the exception. You are both exceptional but each of you is on an individual journey ruled by the knee. :console2:It is disheartening to see someone doing better and one gets to feel discouraged which is very normal. You too will get there. Sending you hugs and healing thoughts. :console2: :console2: :flwrysmile:Lee
 
Nice words, leejaa .... and very, very true!!! pakline .... please don't let yourself get discouraged. Your recovery is going at the exact right pace for YOU. Rejoice in the progress you've made. There are so many variables that can enter into one's recovery. It makes it impossible to make any meaningful comparison to someone else's situation. So focus on the positives in YOUR recovery. They are many and you should be proud of yourself.
 
Thankyou Jamie, Lee, Ellen & Maggie May; you have all contributed to saving my sanity and belief in myself that this will all resolve & I will walk properly again - all in good time. Yes, my daughter is special - her marriage fell apart 4 years ago so she moved into town & secured herself a job, & I spent the next 3 years (as well as working) collecting 3 amigos from school, getting washing in, pegging washing out etc. so she says this is her way of repaying me - I don't need repaying, she is my daughter & the 3 are my grandchildren.........as if I wouldn't help her!! Anyway, I digress...........we had 2 parties to attend yesterday - a 40th at lunch time & a 70th at dinner time (my best friend's) so it was a busy day - I did so enjoy the social contact but the knee didn't...........it was comfy until I arose this morning & gee! did it give me "what for". Some ice, a couple of pain pills and we are going fine. I am actually looking forward to seeing the vascular/edema specialist on Wednesday so we can get this edema addressed & start my leg really recovering. I'll be very interested to see how much fluid the bandaging removes/shifts and can then get into a compression stocking as the leg is very heavy.
Maggie May, my sweet, I hope & pray things are improving for you! Caring thoughts to you all, Kerry (yes, I am "pakline"- it's the name of my business company (freelance accountancy).
 
pakline, it is wonderful that you have your family near by and that you had a chance to go to your friend's parties. Yes, our knees do let us know how they feel about our decisions though sometimes the mental lift is worth it.

Have a good day. Lee:flwrysmile:
 
Good luck with your vascular appointment. I hope all goes well. You sound like a wonderful mother and grandmother!!!

Hugs
Denise
 
Keep us posted after your appointment. I know what you mean about seeing someone who seems to be recovering faster than you putting you down in the dumps a bit. TKR is really an "individual sport" though. ;) As I had to remind myself more than once.
 
Thankyou girls for your encouraging words.........I most certainly will keep you posted - I am thinking positive thoughts about the bandaging for the lymphedema..........looking forward to being able to wear my new sandals in a couple of weeks! Have a lovely day/night all. Love, Kerry
 
Good morning/evening friends - just back from seeing the vascular surgeon about the lymphedema. As I thought, he wants the Coban 2 bandages on both legs to below the knee - there is swelling in my knee but he feels it is surgery swelling which I could have for 6 months and also that the soreness on the side of the knee will eventually abate BUT says if the bandaging goes above the knee it will restrict the healing & mobility of my knee. He feels the bandaging will do the job. If not, then he says a week in hospital with legs elevated would be the next option. He could see I am very positive & pro-active about my legs so was most encouraging & helpful. He also said that my oedema is an inherited one - it's nothing I've done wrong with my body or the fact I am overweight (although losing weight would help) so he is working with me and my PT to address the problem. I came away from the consultation feeling good & very hopeful. My TASP lady accompanied me so she could pass on to my PT the information. If the oedema resolves before the month is up he has authorised my PT to order the stockings for me. It is summer here & the temp can get up to 42 deg Celsius so the bandages will be hot, but if they work, I can handle the rest. I probably should feel upset that all this has to be done, but I don't........I am grateful that there is a solution and I am note left to deal with an enormous leg alone! Hope you are all feeling well & happy. Kerry
 
pakline, I like your
[Bonesmart.org] I think I'm doing OK!
. It will take you far and help your recovery in every way.


A poster for you:
[Bonesmart.org] I think I'm doing OK!
And I just know that you're going to get those positive results even if it takes a bit of time.


Take care, keep us posted, we care.
 
Hello Judy, thankyou for your message........just love the poster!! Also love your kitty pic above - he/she's very cute. It's been a good day.....knee is a bit grumpy (& I don't have any chocolate to pacify it either!) but I will put it to bed soon, & tomorrow is another day! (& I must remember to buy some chocolate!!) Naughty me! Kerry
 
That's the way Kerry - get some chocolate. I have had a ton of chocolate since my op. I am sure it is helping on some level. :whistle:

Your OS and vascular surgeon seem to have got you pointing in the right direction. I hope the bandaging works really well for you and then all you need to concentrate on is the knee. I must admit I do not envy you wearing bandaging and/or stockings in 42degreeC heat. Do you live on the coast in NSW or in central NSW?

I am in a little suburb in Brisbane north called Petrie and mid-30`s is too much for me to handle. :SUNsmile:

I am sending wishes that everything goes well for you from hereon in and the oedema soon resolves.

Take Care ...
Ellen :flwrysmile:
 
Hello Ellen, I live in South West NSW - the Cherry capital of Australia - Young. We are 380ks west inland from Sydney. Yesterday we had 33 deg C & today, after a flurry of storms went through we have just 12 deg C. Any wonder people end up sick - had the AC going last night, & a heater in my office going now!!! Spoke with my PT today & we are doing bandaging with Coban 2 system tomorrow at lunch time on both legs. Will report over the weekend as to progress. I now have to rummage through my cupboards to find some shoes/sandals, whatever, that I can wear until the foot swelling subsides. Thanks for your good wishes. Everyone on this forum is so lovely & empathetic & compassionate -:thankyou: it helps so much. Sweet dreams. Kerry
 
Hello friends.......I had my Coban 2 bandaging done on both legs at lunch time by my PT who is qualified in Lymphedema treatment. She also taught me how to do the manual treatment each day to clear the lymph nodes of junk (!). Then I took my daughter for lunch & we each had a divine prawn salad! So why am I sitting here crying my eyes out? I'm uncomfortable, but not in pain. I'm upset because, once again, my body has failed me (or have I failed it?). My knee is reasonably comfortable, which I am grateful for, I can feel pressure on my legs (but it's not horrendous - the bandages were done in a boot style so not even my toes can peep out) but all I can do at present is cry my eyes out! I know the oedema has to be dealt with - I've known that for over 3 months, and I was pro active & positive about it, but now that it's really happening I feel very upset. My usual sense of humour has got up & gone - my PT says the first week is the worst - God speed the next 7 days (have bandages changed each 4 days) so by this time next week it should feel a lot better. Why cry about all this? I don't know! I'm usually the strong one......right now I'm a real sook! Anyone else have to deal with lymphedema permanently AND a TKR.
Sorry to whinge.........but I know you wonderful friends understand, and I thank you for that!
 
Hi Kerry ... I am so sorry you feel so down. You need to remember that your body has been through such a lot - TKRs drain a lot of energy, plus having to deal with your lymphedema. I don't blame you for having a good cry. It has all added up and just pushed you over the edge. Maybe this is a good thing - have a good cleansing person for hours if you need to. You will probably be really exhausted after, so I hope you get a great night's sleep and face the day anew tomorrow.

You haven't failed your body. You have done everything you can to do what it needs at the moment and all the energy you have used up to look after yourself, has left you absolutely worn out.

You will get heaps of support here. I wish I could zap myself into Young and give you a big hug, but hopefully a cyber one will help (((((((HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

I looked up Coban 2 treatment on the web to see exactly what it was. Very interesting. I truly hope that having gone through this you come out at the other side with your lymphedema under control and you can get on with recovering your knee on its own.

Feel free to send me a private message or anything if you would like to "chat" or vent or anything. I will be thinking of you, as I am sure a lot of others on the forum will be.

Take Care ...
Ellen :console2:
 
Good morning Ellen....it was so reassuring to read your reply, thank you, I had a better night than I expected I might. Had to do a couple of snips in the bandage to release a squashed toe but the remainder was bearable. Going to have a try at bagging the legs for a shower a bit later when my TASP lady calls. I treasure the support TASP & my daughter is giving me as DH just doesn't do compassion well at all....his problem not mine. That is the reason I must stay strong...to support myself emotionally. I crashed many years ago & it took a long time to climb back up so I can't go there again...it's too high a hill to climb again! Again, many thanks for your wonderful caring & support...it means more than you know! I hope you have a lovely day! :)
 
Hello Judy B, thankyou for all your support - you are all a unique group of wonderfully supportive people......I am so lucky to have come across this forum. Have just returned from a house auction........I have cared for our 89 yr old widower neighbour (with dementia) for about 8 years and, in July, found placement for him "in care". So his daughter & I felt it was time for the assets to be finalised hence the auction. His daughter brought him to the auction & he told me "this is a nice house, who owns it?" Sad. He loves where he is living now, so in the general scheme of things, what, really, have I got to worry about!
 
Hi Pakline ... I am glad your night wasn't quite as bad as you might have thought. Couple of big garbage bags with your legs in them and you should be able to have a shower - would be quite an interesting sight though. :heehee:

I was, however, very sorry to hear that you had a big crash a few years ago. I liked the comparison to climbing a hill. I had a crash of my own quite some years back and am still on anti-depressants, but I usually say it is like being in a deep dark hole without a ladder. It is really hard to get back to where you used to be though, isn't it? A lot of work, but all contributes to making us stronger people in general I think.

OMGosh you sound like such a caring person. Dementia can truly be a horrible thing, although I have not had much contact with it. Dad was very much of sound mind when he passed at 79 and I lost Mum when she was only 74 and she was also of very sound mind. Did the house sell at auction?

You are quite right - in the big scheme I guess we have nothing to worry about at all. I find that everything is relative though.

I hope you are not too uncomfortable in the bandaging for the next few days and that at the end of it, your lymphedema will have improved somewhat.

Take Care and thank your daughter for caring for our forum friend so well.
Ellen ... :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom