TKR I think I'm doing OK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thankyou Maggie May, for your compassions & reassuring words. After 44 yrs with DH I can't be bothered trying to change his views - goodness knows I've tried! I am aiming this week to be on walking stick around the house.......my physio lady says I manage that better at home than at gym PT.....it's now up to me to get the confidence to do that - she has faith in me so I just have to get the faith in myself. I know tomorrow will be better - I'll have no tears left then! Again thankyou, dear friend from the US! It is almost 1pm in Oz.
 
Thankyou so much Maggie May for your reassuring & compassionate words. I did have a rest, watched a DVD (which I never do) & then decided to do a bit of filing in my office. Parked my walker then decided to visit the "little girl's room" prior to starting. So off I went.......and as I walked back to the office I saw my walker sitting there all alone!!! I had walked to the loo & back under my own steam - about 30 feet in distance. I am now on a high! Of course I will be on the walker outdoors for a while yet & the stick indoors but I now know IT WILL HAPPEN (and after such a horrible morning too!). Thankyou so very much for your understanding & support. I now have tears of joy!!! God Bless.
 
Way to Go Pakline. You will find yourself "forgetting" your walker more and more often. I think your right, its more confidence you need and I imagine its very hard without support when you need it at home. Come to this forum to get all you need. Keep it up. Your doing great!!
 
just to let you know I had some amazing emotional breakdowns after my knee replacement....I remember quite a few times lying on the bed crying my eyes out...fed up, frustrated, in pain and wondering if I was ever going to feel better...well I am at 11 weeks now and yes that time does come..my knee bend is pathetic but I am walking around ok now........and all those bad horrible times are just a memory.............:flwrysmile:
 
I agree with everything mrs Cricklewood said and I am a week behind her!!!
 
Thanks Mrs. Cricklewood (love your pen name!!) & Maggie May (reminds me of Rod Stewart's song)...........your caring thoughts & words made me feel a whole lot better and along with the fact I walked about 30 steps on my own has given me a huge confidence boost for this week. You folk are so very wonderful. Thankyou again.
 
Pakline - you are doing great!!! I admire your attitude and resolve. You are allowed tears and to feel sorry for yourself. If DH won't hear it we at BS will! I hope you are getting rest and not overdoing it as I understand you must listen it your knee and let the rest wait. Be well!

Hugs
Denise
 
You will find yourself "forgetting" your walker more and more often.
That is correct---even my PT said that one day would just walk away from it and not realize it.

. Parked my walker
Isn't it a great feeling? That is certainly progress that needs to be documented and celebrated!

Of course I will be on the walker outdoors for a while yet & the stick indoors but I now know IT WILL HAPPEN (and after such a horrible morning too!).
Very wise, but in a short time, the walker will officially be retired!
 
Hi Pakline ... Thought I would pay you a visit as another Aussie (from Queensland). I have read your story and your resilience, positivity and general attitude are amazing. I have been such a whinger and sook through this. I thought I would be such a poster child for knee replacement and have been anything but. Reading stories like yours make me feel quite ashamed. I am usually a very positive person, but for nearly 5 weeks have been waiting desperately for some sign of improvement in swelling and bending ability - none. I am not used to being looked after so much - usually I am the looker afterer (made those words up).:)
 
Sorry - hit 'post' before I was ready.

I was sorry to read that you had "hit the wall". I hope that feeling is passing and you are once again going from strength to strength.

Fancy walking all that way on your own. No wonder you were feeling good about yourself.:yay::yes!: I have tried a bit of walking on my own - just within the same room - and as I have said in my story, it is a very good imitation of Frankenstein's monster taking his first steps.:yikes:

Hope your recovery continues in the same positive and strong vein. Your posts have certainly made me rethink y attitude somewhat. I hope I can get some of my positivity back.

Best wishes to you ... Ellen:flwrysmile:
 
I can't believe I have found such wonderful, supportive & caring people as the folk on BS.........I am so glad I found you. Thankyou for your encouragement - I feel so much better today thanks to you all. Going to gym PT this afternoon. Can't wait to see my PT's face when I tell her what I did!!! I am still taking it slowly & very carefully but it's such a good feeling! Have a great day everyone. Kerry
 
Sorry - hit 'post' before I was ready.

I was sorry to read that you had "hit the wall". I hope that feeling is passing and you are once again going from strength to strength.

Fancy walking all that way on your own. No wonder you were feeling good about yourself.:yay::yes!: I have tried a bit of walking on my own - just within the same room - and as I have said in my story, it is a very good imitation of Frankenstein's monster taking his first steps.:yikes:

Hope your recovery continues in the same positive and strong vein. Your posts have certainly made me rethink y attitude somewhat. I hope I can get some of my positivity back.

Best wishes to you ... Ellen:flwrysmile:

Hi Ellen, you are a brave lady too.........at 5 weeks I was still holding on to the walker very, very tightly & terrified if someone looked like they might take it off me!! My gait is somewhat dodgy but I walk close to the benches & tables & chairs etc. For me, it's now about getting my confidence back & that seems to be creeping in little by little. With the support & love shown by all the people on this forum you will go ahead in leaps & bounds. I am so grateful & pleased I found this forum. Have a lovely day my friends. Kerry
 
Today marks 8 weeks since my TKR & I just parked my wheelie-walker in the bedroom (I am in my home office doing book-keeping for clients) and have just finished another home PT session - Nice & slow & gentle - nothing too strenuous! I am now using my stick/cane inside the house & the walker outdoors. When I look back at yesterday or last week I can't see much improvement, BUT when I then look back to where all this started I am grateful for the progress I've made. One thing I have to keep reminding myself is that we all heal at different paces.......our bodies dictate our healing time, and whilst our minds do play a big part, it is the knee that reigns supreme. I now know it will get better, slowly, and I can handle that. At least I am reasonably mobile, can do my work, some house jobs. I have had to keep myself up-beat & positive (I had a breakdown in 1985 & it was almost too hard to get back up out of the pit) because I believe that if I told myself often enough that "you will get through this" I would end up believing it - & I do! Thankyou for the opportunity to share with fellow TKRs and if my story can help another person believe it too then I am happy. Kerry
 
Pakline you are doing ok just splendid!
I sounds like you are getting around quite well. You are right behind me in weeks mine was on 9/5. I think you will find this week or next you will turn a corner
I, too, had a breakdown, in 1994 and again just over a year ago so I understand. Your pit, my abyss but the same I am sure
Sending you positive thoughts!!
MM
 
Pakline you are doing ok just splendid!
I sounds like you are getting around quite well. You are right behind me in weeks mine was on 9/5. I think you will find this week or next you will turn a corner
I, too, had a breakdown, in 1994 and again just over a year ago so I understand. Your pit, my abyss but the same I am sure
Sending you positive thoughts!!
MM
Dearest MaggieMay, you are such a dear soul...I certainly know what it is to "go under"! I am the doer, carer, strength, glue that holds my family together & shoulders everyone's worries...and, like you, I also made it back ....I will recover, as will you, & we will do it together, positive thoughts to you also,
 
Yes we will recover together. In my family I am "strong" "tough" "able to take it". Until I can't.
Anyway, good job and positive energy, Pakline !


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Hi, Pakline,
Would you look up my thread and read a bit? If I you search under Maggie May you should find it. It is named on the road to recovery now.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Hello everyone.........just an update: my PT is very pleased with my progress - I am now using stick/cane indoors and wheelie walker outdoors. Sometimes I have forgotten to use the stick and find myself in the middle of a room "all alone"..........2 weeks ago I would have had an instant panic, but today I just thought "well, you made it this far, you can make it to the door/lounge/bed" (or whatever). My gait is disgusting (looks more like a waddling duck!) but that will improve in time. I have just had a Bowen treatment - fabulous. I have a dear friend who is a qualified therapist and she is doing freebies for me as a gift towards my recovery - she is an angel! Bowen is gentle, doesn't hurt & encourages the body to heal itself. It moves the fluid around & opens up the muscles etc to work better as sometimes they become "glued". I have also mastered, in a fashion - 1 together, 2 together - the 2 steps at our back entrance/landing/patio. Tomorrow I work on community radio as a presenter for 4 hours then in the arvo I have a gym physio - with my PT. It's been a busy, and comfortable, week. I am still taking things slowly & safely. There is light at the end of the tunnel! I wish you all a good night/day (depending on which hemisphere you live). Bye for now, Kerry
 
Maggie May............I have read some of your thread & admire your courage. You certainly have not had an easy time of all this........but.......you still offer loving thoughts to those who journalise here, me included. That says a lot about your kind heart & beautiful nature. I pray that you will turn the corner very soon and find comfort & recovery are also your friends. Wishing you peace, comfort & contentment. Kerry
 
Thanks Kerry. It sounds like you are doing so well!!! I am so happy for you!! I will look up the the Bowen treatment sounds wonderful. I get therapeutic massage when I can which is so beneficial and toxic releasing!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom