TKR I now have a matching set!

Hi Chicklet: I will report periodically as I hit milestones - next one is the 4 mile walk. Not sure what else I can include because I am now back to all presurgery activities - minus the pain and instability. I feel incredibly blessed.

Take care all,
Grateful Chemist
 
Last edited:
Happy Saturday Everyone:

All I can say is that I have been blessed with an incredible recovery. Walked 4 miles this morning with zero pain. Back to all of my pre-surgery activities. Sleeping through the night. Only "complaint" is minor stiffness in the morning.

Take care,
Chemist
 
Wow!! That's awesome!! I just had 18 weeks post surgery yesterday! I really want to start up my walking again, as I haven't walked much in the last year, due to the pre-surgery knee being in such bad shape. I'm just taking it slowly, one day at a time, with regard to increased activity. I've been back to work for 8 weeks now, and since my job involves a lot of physical activity, I have been icing my knee and elevating my legs in the evenings, as I have been having some minor swelling and aches. Thanks to BoneSmart, I discovered that minor swelling and aches are considered normal parts of ongoing TKR recovery. So right now, the majority of my leisure time walking involves walking around the grocery store or WalMart, lol!! Hoping to increase that to walking around the block a few times pretty soon!!
 
Hi @KitKat64 : sounds like you are doing a lot already. I have the advantage of being retired so I can adjust activity as needed. Take your time with increasing the length of your walks. I started by literally walking to the end of the driveway. I steadily increased the distance over time, making sure that I didn 't do too much (or at least trying to). I always ended up regretting it whenever I got too enthusiastic. Hang in there. You will be back at your leisure walking before you know it.

Take care,
Blessed Chemist
 
Hi @Chemist - I just read your entire thread and wanted to let you know I enjoyed it. Your knee #2 sounds like a champ. My knee #2 is almost 11 weeks old and knee #1 is 6 months old. I've been on this journey continuously for 6 months. My knee #1 is behaving like a champ and I think I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel with knee #2. I'm hoping some of your good vibes will rub off on it and I'll sprint to the end, but I'm currently lying on my back on the edge of my bed with my right leg dangling over the side for a quads stretch while my husband is sleeping peacefully. I'm still missing that sleeping peacefully....
 
Hi @HoneyB : sorry to hear that sleep is still an issue. I am a little surprised that reading my thread didn't lull you to sleep. I know that the long nights can be very frustrating. There were times that it didn't seem fair that my wife was sleeping so peacefuly. I was tempted to jostle her a bit so she could keep me company but fortunately my survival instinct kicked in and I let her sleep!

As you often hear in this forum - be patient (I know it is hard to do, I have been at some stage of recovery for a year now) sleep will return.

Take care,
Chemist
 
Last edited:
Howdy: It has been a while so I decided to check in. Things are still going well. Still have some stiffness but it seems to get better each day. My quads are still weak but I am working on that. Overall I am extremely happy with the results of my surgeries.

Take care everyone,
Happy Chemist
 
Hi Chemist, so happy to hear from you. My #2 knee is also recovering in a better manner than my first, so I hope that it continues as yours has!
 
Hi Chemist, great to hear how well you are doing!
 
Hi again everyone:

I have noticed that in the last few days my knees have gone from slow steady improvement to almost a step change where they almost feel "too good". I was walking with my wife this morning and suddenly realized I wasn't thinking about my knees. I consider that a breakthrough. Has anyone else experienced a step change like this?

I was reading some threads about how to get scars to fade. Mine are hard!y visible so I am considering using a red marker to highlight them - I consider them to be my badges of honor! :)

Take care all
Chemist
 
Last edited:
Right after I had my second knee done, I realized I wasn't thinking about my first knee at all. It was amazing. Unfortunately, toddler knee has been throwing some tantrums lately and wants as much attention as baby knee. Hopefully both will settle down and in a few months I will be where you are.
 
Hi @katchmo : I hope you continue to be blessed with a rapid recovery like I experienced.

Take care,
Chemist
 
Hi @katchmo :

My first knee regressed a bit after the 2nd surgery. I assumed it was due to having to carry the load plus loss of muscle time due to inactivity during early 2nd knee recovery. Fortunately it bounced back fairly quickly once I became more active. Hope you have a similar experience.

Take care,
Chemist
 
Wow. I went for a long walk today and it was my best walk in decades. Zero pain and minimal stiffness. Never thought I would reach this point.

Hang in there if you are "running" the recovery marathon. The end result can be incredible.

Regards
Chemist
 
Hello everyone:

Things are still going well . I only have issues (stiffness) when I forget about my knees and do too much.

Have to celebrate small pleasures. I enjoy napping on the floor (started when I was a kid) and I had to give it up when my knees got to the point that I couldn't get up. Decided to give it a try and found that kneeling and leveraging up was easy. Back to being a happy napper :loveshwr:.

Take care
 
Back on the floor for snoozing! Great progress!
 
Howdy All You All:

I will keep it short today - my knees feel wonderful. My only regret is the time I spent delaying surgery with cortisone and synvisc.

Take care,
Chemist
 
That is so awesome!

Even the first knee that took longer to recover from than the second ?
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom