THR I made it to the "Other Side"!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@LibraryLynn @Poppet, @zauberflöte, @hippityhop, @sharonslp, @mydog, @Joydancer, @Great Aunt Janet @Constanze, @Jo Champagne, @chalcedonian1, @salsss, @souldancer, @Cindy99, @narnybose, and anyone else I may have missed....Everyone here is so supportive, caring, sympathetic and experienced at all the same thoughts, pains and feelings I have. I can't tell you how much it means to me to be able to share, bounce things off others, gain knowledge, learn what to expect, what I should take care of, pack, eat, etc.....the list goes on and on! It has just made this whole experience so much easier I can't even express it. How invaluable this site has been is amazing!
Today, I had two visits from PT, countless nurse visits, arranged for at-home PT and met with the doctor. The whole experience here is just wonderful. I had my surgery at a fairly new place called OASIS. (Orthopedic And Spinal Inpatient Surgical). They only cater to spine and ortho, so there are no sick patients here (less chance of infection). I have a private room in this small 64 room hospital and my husband was able to stay with me on a pull-out. Bonus! I am being discharged first thing in the morning. My PT, Doctor and Nurses say I am doing really well. I just found out I can take a shower so I plan on taking one before bedtime. I am so excited! If you didn't notice already, I'm doing really well mentally, physically, spiritually... I feel like I have done a 180! Thank you to everyone as you have all had a part in that. :0)


Cheryl

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It all sounds fantastic @Cleifeste ! Well done on all your prep - yes I don't know what I would have done without this forum and all the lovely people who post, all the videos and the plans and everything. Your positive attitude must surely be making everything flow so well - goodonyer! Enjoy getting home, and make sure you get your rests.
:sleeep:
 
I agree @Great Aunt Janet and @Cleifeste . This forum is great! I am glad to hear you are doing so well Cheryl.

I'm having trouble keeping track of everyone going in and coming out but great to hear so many success stories and the reality of facing surgery and then tbe recovery process.
 
Good morning! I'm getting ready to be released from the hospital in about an hour. They want me to wait until I can have my next dose of extended release meds for my drive home back to Yuma. It usually takes 2 1/2 hours but I'm sure we'll be stopping to stretch every so often. Everyone here at the hospital has been so nice, but there is no place like home and I can't wait to get in my own surroundings and my own bed. My husband will stay with me through Sunday, but he will be returning to work Monday. Lucky for me, my own personal nurse (my sister) will be coming to stay with me then. I am so blessed!
I spoke to the doctor about my ceramic head and the clicking he said I would have. Apparently he had planned on doing a 32mm head but because of my size went down to a 28mm and to accommodate the smaller head he used a liner with an extra "ledge" on it to help keep it in place. He said it will click, I will hear/feel it, but it's barely noticeable and I will get so used to it in just a couple weeks that I won't even think about it. I haven't heard it yet so If he never said anything I would probably have never known. Another bonus because of my size is that he said it was a relatively simple surgery. I told him when my right one needs to be done, of course we never know how long they will last, I wouldn't wait like I did with this one. I would just do it! It was not nearly as bad as I envisioned/watched/scared myself into being. I know I still have a long way to recover but I am doing cartwheels inside at the improvement already! My right one has had a scope -shaved some bone, fixed a tear, put three anchors in it, but he says there is still life left in it and we'll just take it as it comes.
My postings seem to get longer and longer, but I really just want everyone to know that this experience has been life changing. I'm on the road to having a life again and that is huge! I can't wait to get started- I have some catching up to do! LOL!


Cheryl
16 April 2015

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
:loveshwr:I wanted to say that I hope that you and DH travel safely home and that you get settled in quickly and as pain free as possible. I am thrilled that everything went so well and hope that the rest of your recovery follows suit.

Take care and I'll join you on the other side on Monday. :loveshwr:
 
Oh! I am so very happy for you! It sounds like you are doing wonderfully! In hindsight..the first 1 1/2 wk were the most "uncomfortable" for me - because I had to sleep on my back (I'm a side sleeper) and the pain medication did a number on me (headaches and digestive). I also "swelled up" considerably early on. To make the recovery a bit easier for you...elevate you operated leg as much as possible....I used about three pillows. And ice as much as you can. My os didn't clear me for intense pt until week 5-6...and that walking is the best. I think he was right as I am now walking without a cane (at wk 7), inside and out, on my recumbent bike for 30 minutes (no problem), and took a 2 mile hike in the woods yesterday and had no pain from it today! I can bend, put on stockings, pants, etc with no assistance! I was cleared to drive last week - I have a clutch - and it was a beautiful thing! The first two weeks are truly the most "uncomfortable"....but if you do it right, and take it slow with the BS mantras....you "will" nail your recovery! Best wishes to you! And, of course, hugs! :loveshwr::wowspring:
 
@ mydog, sounds like you are doing great! Can you clarify for me how long it took before you were cleared to drive a clutch? I have the same issue coming up shortly. Driving now is SO painful that I can't wait for pain-free driving!

Thanks!
 
Hi @Cleifeste , I'm so pleased your recovery is going fine. My hospital is also specialised in orthopedic surgery only (no emergencied no acutely sick patients) which was one of the reasons why I chose it. I'll have my surgery tomorrow. All the best for you.
 
Nice one your whole persona shines not just relief all done and dusted but on the starting grid of F1 waiting for start. Just remember listen to your body and limitations and at start grab all sleep that creeps up on you

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi all! I have been home now for two nights. Since Saturday I have had some problems. Constipation set in. I drink a LOT of water and taking Stool softeners. The problem is no BM since before surgery. So Saturday night I took Milk of Magnesia. No movement still so Sunday a.m. I took another dose. Wrong! The projectile vomiting set in....It took all day yesterday to calm that down and still no BM. Today I have taken Dulcolax and a suppository. I got a little motion but no big effort. It's difficult to hurt and also spend so much time in the bathroom. LOL! One step forward then two steps back... The PT came by yesterday, thankfully after most of my sickness was done and she comes again tomorrow. I am liking that they come to my house- makes things easier!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Most have that bunged up thingmabob. Try not to dwell on it as it will happen. The body is a strange beast I used to have it after flying and have had to made mad dashes in all sorts of places. Mad man coming thru. Really good you still see positives it does get better often without realising it. Or is that just a male thing

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Yay! The light at the end of the tunnel has been cleared of obstacles today. Bonus- I think I lost a few pounds. Lol. The PT came by and gave me a few more exercises to add to my routine. My son and grandson came by for a bit this afternoon. I hadn't seen them since before the surgery and they always put a smile on my face...,made my day. I think things are progressing as expected. I'm actually pretty tired right now. I think it's going to be an early night. Take care fellow hippies!


Cheryl

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hello! So glad to hear a success story! I'm scheduled in 3 weeks and pretty freaked out, but you said it wasn't as bad as you thought? Great that things are going so well!
 
Aye wee ones do that and the big ones, I reg post I have Cheshire Cat Syndrome. Tired is good as long as you use it to sleep, I can be a nag about such things. Well done tho brill attitude

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Gummy Bears it is rewarding to read the post ops and know people are making progress and have a wealth of knowledge to lean on. I am living vicariously through you, please eat a Maryland Crab Cake for me! We will be there for you too.
@Legin lol about our downstairs movements.
 
@Cleifeste - Yup, that first BM is such a welcome release. I was getting concerned since it
seemed liked I was taking a lot in and nothing coming out! Took approx 4 days before things
got moving. So sorry about the vomiting:groan: My good friend told me about milk
of magnesia but only to start with one tablespoon and wait for approx 6 hrs before taking
another dose. Now, almost 2 weeks out I'm back to regular with a glass of prune juice and
yogurt with acidophilus. We rainbow hippies take joy in small ways!!
 
Its been a little while since I've been on here so I thought I should get an update on here and catch up with my April Rainbows. I am 17 days post op today. Things have been going ok, and according to my doc who I saw last Monday, everything I am experiencing is to be expected. My thigh is still very swollen, I have numbness and nerve twiching and quite a bit of stiffness. During the night I wake up wanting to move and stretch my legs. I am still doing pain meds though I am no longer on the extended release OxyContin. The only med I am on is Percocet which I cut down from 2 every four hours to 1 1/2. I have had home PT since the day after I got home from the hospital. I have been doing the exercise routines religiously and using ice packs and my ice machine strictly as well. I have graduated from my walker to the use of a cane around the house during the day, but she wants me only in a walker if I go out. I am continuing with home PT 3x/ week until 5/14 then I am to do outpatient PT 2X/ week for 6 weeks. I enjoy doing them though it amazes me how weak I have become. I feel I am progressing well but I am not a patient patient. :) I want to be strong and walk without a limp already! I know....it will come.

On a separate note, my younger sister has been experiencing hip pain and recently had an MRI done. Her Doctor in San Diego diagnosed her with FAI which is what my diagnosis was. My doctor was willing to see her to see if she was a candidate for arthroscopy and to save her a trip from San Diego to Phoenix he requested an x-ray AP view of her hips and her MRI report. After viewing everything he felt she might benefit from a hip scope. However her insurance is only good in California not Arizona where my doctor is located. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good doctor in California that does the Arthroscopic Hip Surgery? She lives in San Diego, but is willing to travel if necessary. Thank you in advance!


Cheryl

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom