THR I made it to the "Other Side"!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's been over a week since the "clunk" and my ramped up PT and I am still in a lot of pain, better after rest & heat but activity is out of the question. I texted my doc (he amazingly responds to me even on weekends) He is out of town all next week so I have an appointment for the 22nd for an x-ray. Hopefully this shows that is only muscular and not anything more serious. I spoke to my PT and I am scheduled for just an "evaluation" on Monday morning. He recommended rest, moist heat and ice until then. The feeling I have is that with any amount of activity my muscles around the trochanter area just clench up tight like a protective response. I haven't been doing much in the way of exercises. I tried getting on my recumbent bike, thinking that it is less pressure just motion, and I still get the clenching reaction. I went to work yesterday and thankfully I only work 5 hour days. By 3-4 hours I couldn't handle it anymore and left a little early in tears. I went home to a heating pad, sofa and a pain med. I am really worried. I was doing so well and now I feel like I have taken ten steps back. Ugh!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Cleifeste I'm so sorry to hear about your 'clunk' and now severe pain. Can you take a whole day of rest? to do nothing but care for yourself? Maybe you could take something to help the pain like 2 tylenol every 6 hours, ice to help with any swelling after PT (I find I have to do that still), and just rest. I know you are young but if you have some concerns it might be time for a day off for your body to recover a bit. Too bad you couldn't get that xray date moved up. Does your OS have someone to cover for him while he is away? I'd push for that especially if you don't feel better after a 'Cleifeste' day. Sending you healing wishes and patience. :angel:
 
Besides the few hours that I work I really do nothing but rest. I don't work Mon-Wed so that is my plan, more rest. I asked my OS about having the x-ray done by an associate but he didn't offer that up. He replied via text to just do a walk-in on the 22nd anytime I get there that day. He is in Phoenix and I am in Yuma about 2 1/2 hours away. So I have a ton of rest ahead of me until then. Because of the small size ball he put a second liner in the socket so I am wondering about that... With lots of waiting time on my hands my mind goes to all these different scenarios. I hate this waiting! Thanks for the healing wishes. I'll take all I can get. :-)


Cheryl

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
It is easy to let our anxieties run away when we don't have answers @Cleifeste -- go with the flow until you see your surgeon, rest and more rest until then honey x
 
Its really a blow when all has been going so well. One of the things I have found with my journey is if we expect pain before a movement I can literally feel the muscles tensing and all to often with not often used muscles is cramp in its various forms I have had cramp in muscles I never knew I had. Rest until you see OS chappy I'm told these chaps are quite clever, well cleverer than your average. Good luck

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Thanks @Legin and @Poppet. I also keep going back to what Josephine says repeatedly in so many discussions. Something like- "Hips don't need much exercise other than walking to get better, and even then not to excess. People all too often overdo it and end up with aches and pains and other problems." I should've listened to her rather than my PT.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Its like so many things in life regular activity that just tests us and before you realise it suddenly you have made big leaps forward. I have worked with people most my life and much, has been about agreed goal setting. All short term goals have to be realistic and achievable at that time, this doesn't affect to overall aim of the exercise. Unachievable short term goals cause; pain, loss of motivation and an overall feeling of failure and negativity all when the process should be about moving forward and success.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I was at a good place at 6-7 weeks. I was weaning off the cane, made an attempt even out of the house. After the clunk scare and ramped up PT I back tracked all the way back to crutches, now on cane full time and a LOT of rest with ice & heat. I cancelled my last two PT appointments, doing some at my own pace at home and not pushing myself until I see my doctor next Monday. As a precaution we are doing an x-ray.


Cheryl

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya here's hoping you are feeling a tad better well a lot better. I posted on my thread answer re your aunt sorry for delay I missed your post please accept my apologies.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I just saw my doctor and had x-Rays done. Thank goodness I didn't damage my new hardware with the clunk. Unfortunately though he diagnosed me with trochanteric bursitis and because of the inexplicable bruising he thought I may have torn muscle around the capsule which he said would heal on its own. He also gave me a cortisone injection in the bursa which was so much fun....Not! I was prescribed a muscle relaxer and was told to lay off the PT for a week or two. More rest and ice is my agenda for a little while longer.. Patience....


Cheryl

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh I feel your pain, I had an injection once for bursitis in my hip, not once but three times, the first two didn't work. The third one did work and was wonderful, it really helped. Hope your heals quickly, I was told 6 weeks complete rest after the third injection, imagine that with 4 young children to look after over the school summer holidays!
Pleased to hear you did no damage to your hip though, that is good news
 
Wow! I just read your thread and what a wait you had, to get answers on your clunk and pain. At least it's not the hardware, but what a bummer of a setback. Does the cortisone help? Sending you mounds of healing and warm fuzzies.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Liznwiz. I can't even imagine feeling the way I do and having to take care of small children! I don't know how you did it! So sorry it took you three times for it to be effective, I can guess why. I am hopeful just one will do the trick for me. Fingers crossed.... Did you feel immediate relief after the injection or did it take a few days?

@Tweefishy. I don't know yet whether it has helped. We are traveling back to Yuma from Phoenix now. I'm sitting with an ice pack and took a muscle relaxer too. Walking on it felt strange like there is a lot of pressure. I'm thinking that is the cortisone taking up space...??? Don't know. I'm must say though I'm feeling pretty relaxed. I'm not too worried about it right this moment. LOL!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Cleifeste I've had several injections in the same area and yes...for me it felt very tight before the fluid was absorbed. I did not feel better right away which is why I had a couple injections also. I hope it does the magic trick for you!
 
@donor Thank you! I've had an injection there before, I can't remember which time or which hip. Seems to me it was the same one but before my second arthroscopic surgery. So I have a history of bursitis. Having had two liners implanted and the amount of pressure I have I was just so sure and scared it was something worse. What a relief to hear it's muscular. Still not fun but better than the alternative anyday!



Cheryl

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Strange how we can be happy to be in pain, but it just reflects how this journey is so many ups and downs for some of us. But you seem to have the right attitude concentrating on the less affecting parts. Just takes time. Take care

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Thanks @Legin. Two more days off before I go to work so rest is my agenda until then. I'm going to give this injection a fighting chance to work. I can say it does feel better this morning in the bursa area but not in the gluteus area. I'm thinking that might be from my possible tear... I'm sitting on the sofa with coffee wondering how to fill my day....online shopping? Lol!


Cheryl

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Michegon LOL! Thanks for the giggle. You reminded me that I am in control, I can just as easily choose another PT if I feel like it. I have two scheduled for next week, I'll see how he is with me next week... Otherwise - BAM, WHACK, ZAP, next PT please!

@Legin. If he does say anything else I think I will ask him to talk to my OS. I'll bet nothing will come of it. :thumbs up:

@GreatAuntJanet I actually did talk about Bonesmart. I told him how helpful and supportive a site it was and how amazing it is to see people of ALL ages who get hip replacements.

Also, @alexthecat I like the responses for the "You're too young" comments you give. Rather than defending my issue, make them think about what they said. I have to laugh out loud about a client who walked into an open house I was holding at a model home. I was on crutches at the time, having had arthroscopic surgery, and the husband blurted out "Well you're crippled!" The wife rolled her eyes obviously mortified. I couldn't help but laugh at his foot in mouth comment. Yesterday I was just ultra sensitive I think. I am ready to be at the feeling good stage and it's only been a month. Patience....

Thanks all for your advice and support again!


Cheryl

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
Too young indeed! I'm 51 years of age, and four weeks ago I had an uncemented total left hip replacement. I had a great answer for those (including general Practitioners) who keep saying "you're too young to have a hip replacement". I say "Too young. No! Actually I'm lucky as my younger sister had both her hips replaced in her 30's". People just stop in their tracks. They've never heard of hereditary hip dysplasia and it's actually great to be able to educate them on the topic. Anyway, I'm four weeks two days post op and I'm starting to feel human again I'm still taking pain medication but the pain is decreasing day by day. I spent one week in hospital and 5 days in rehab due to my home being a 2 hour drive away. I just had my first at home physio session and it went well. I'm feeling more positive day by day but do know that I will be under strict hip precautions for at least 12 weeks due to my uncemented replacement. I will be able to weight bear as tolerated in about three weeks time which I'm really looking forward too. My rollator at home has literally been my saviour, and I'll almost be sorry to see it go and move onto crutches. Going to bed is the one thing I dread as I know I'm going to wake up stiff and sore but once I get going I'm right. Wishing you all speedy recoveries.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom