THR I made it to the "Other Side"!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all fall into the not patient patient thingmabob. You are doing really well believe me not all enjoy PT. I did as it was a battle of wills re her telling me off for doing toooo much, btw I usually lost, well until I stepped out. Great attitude lass. Im sure someone will give you loads of options re sister.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi @Cleifeste - I think the swelling does get less and less as you go on - I have hardly any now, unless I sit in a chair for a few hours. I'm not doing any PT (own choice) so I just have my own little program of walks and the basic exercises I got from hospital. I think that is enough, combined with some normal activity as well. And if I have one big day, the next I am much more lazy. That is working for me - and I have just come back from an hour and a bit at work, much joy. If I do overdo things, I get stiffness and twitching too, so mostly I just don't. You are more energetic than me obviously!
:walking:
 
I enjoy the PT. Even if it wasn't prescribed to me I would still want to do it. It helps me not only physically but mentally as well. As Josephine says, hips don't need much but walking to heal, but It helps me strengthen other areas as well. Just my personal choice. This morning my PT had me walk outside a few houses down with just a cane. Had I'd known we were going outside I might have thrown on more than just pajama pants and t-shirt. LOL! Oh well. I know all my neighbors and they know what I'm going through. They just have never seen me like that. At this point I'm over being vain. I'm sitting on an ice pack now, resting up. BTW, my doctor, who is so nice, texted me at about 9:00 last night with recommendations for my sister. She is needing a hip doctor in California. For hip scopes in California he says the best ones are Carlos Gauche and Michael Gerhardt in L.A. ...in case anyone else is needing one. My doctor never fails to impress me. What doctor would text on a Sunday night?


Cheryl

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I haven't posted in a few days so I thought I would do an update. I am experiencing something new the last few days and I'm sure it's just healing, but my thigh has had this crazy itching feeling. At first I tried scratching my thigh it but I didn't get near where it itches. It's like a deep itching, whether it is nerves or the bone or what. I don't know but it's driving me nuts the last few days. I tried gentle massage on the thigh last night even though what I wanted to do was take a rake to it. Lol. It seemed to help I guess...even at least to take my mind off of it. PT is going well, I had to slack off a bit as a tendon on the outside part of my knee was flaring up. A couple days rest and some ice & massage to it seems to have helped. I did a couple laps around my kitchen island without my cane this morning. I did ok, though as soon as I started compensating my PT told me to use my cane again. It's been close to four weeks now- four on Thursday. I don't know if I am behind schedule or ahead, but I am finding that my body is talking to me, telling me what it needs. Whether that is rest, motion, stretching, whatever... I can hear it! Aren't our bodies amazing? I think everyone's bodies are different and have different factors - muscle tone, length of time in pain before hip replacement, age, attitude, etc So many variables that I don't think there is a "right" amount of time to heal.
I've been having deep thoughts lately can you tell? :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Cheryl

I am no expert but I would keep an eye on the PT as a few people have experianced problems with it and tend to overdo things hence your knee flaring up. I am attending the local pool and walking in water which has really helped, I believe bonesmartie Copsham is also following a water workout.
Take care

Billy
 
Today I had my first outpatient PT. Since I have been home from that appt. I have really been letting a few things he said get to me. Not that I haven't heard them before, it's just getting old... "You are too young. Most people wait until they're 50's or 60's to get a hip replacement." "You know you have a bit of a knock knee too, right?" No, I am not "too young"! How long is the right amount of time to suffer? Should I have waited another ten years until my body is more of a mess than it already is just to meet your standards? My abnormal gait is from years of pain and compensating. I really didn't need someone after four years of searching for an answer to look at me and in the first two minutes of watching me walk decide I have another diagnosis to worry about. In my opinion and my doctor's opinion we have fixed the root of the problem. Maybe people mean the best in saying "you are too young", but it makes me feel like I have to defend my diagnosis, that it is real. Thanks for letting me vent and thanks for listening.


Cheryl

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Cheryl the bottom line is no one deserves to be in pain, I got my first hip done at 55 and all I cared about was getting rid of the pain. Four years was long enough you are hopefully feeling much better and can look forward to a better future.

Billy
 
Hi @Cleifeste ! I'm about 4 weeks pre-op, and about the same age as you. I, too, am getting "You're too young...!". When people say that to me, I try to interpret it as "too young to be in such pain", not "too young to get a new hip".

I understand not wanting to hear about another possible physical issue! Try to keep positive and listen to your body. Congrats on making it to the other side!
 
Hi @Cleifeste - sounds as though that PT thinks venting HER opinions is more important than thinking about your well-being. Not very productive. And you know that lots of folks younger than you have new joints put in, just from reading this forum. Did you ask her if she knew about Bonesmart? Ha!
 
Vent away the chap may have an opinion but he shouldnt vent it on you tell him to go have a chat with the OS.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I had my THR at the ripe, old age of 42. Like you, I got the "you're too young" line a lot. My THR was the result of a hip fracture, so I got to hear that I was too young for that too.

I definitely got tired of hearing it and feeling like I needed to explain things to people. I came up with two stock responses. One was to roll my eyes and say, "yeah, I get that a lot." The other was to look shocked and gasp, "I've never heard that before!" I think both of those may make people think, because I think that, very often, when people say inappropriate things, it's coming from a place of thoughtlessness than deliberate rudeness.

One thing I can tell you is that at 5 years post-op my hip is not an issue. Only my family and closest friends know that I have an artificial hip. Once you've recovered, it doesn't have to be a topic of conversation unless you want it to be and people don't have to know about it unless you want them to.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
@Michegon LOL! Thanks for the giggle. You reminded me that I am in control, I can just as easily choose another PT if I feel like it. I have two scheduled for next week, I'll see how he is with me next week... Otherwise - BAM, WHACK, ZAP, next PT please!

@Legin. If he does say anything else I think I will ask him to talk to my OS. I'll bet nothing will come of it. :thumbs up:

@GreatAuntJanet I actually did talk about Bonesmart. I told him how helpful and supportive a site it was and how amazing it is to see people of ALL ages who get hip replacements.

Also, @alexthecat I like the responses for the "You're too young" comments you give. Rather than defending my issue, make them think about what they said. I have to laugh out loud about a client who walked into an open house I was holding at a model home. I was on crutches at the time, having had arthroscopic surgery, and the husband blurted out "Well you're crippled!" The wife rolled her eyes obviously mortified. I couldn't help but laugh at his foot in mouth comment. Yesterday I was just ultra sensitive I think. I am ready to be at the feeling good stage and it's only been a month. Patience....

Thanks all for your advice and support again!


Cheryl

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I resemble, I mean remember Festus. LOL


Cheryl

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
It's been a couple weeks since my last update so I felt I needed to check in. I had a scare and I'm hoping for some advice. Wednesday night I reactively reached down quickly after dropping something and did not think of my restriction. I heard a deep clunk sound and it scared me. I took it easy the rest of the night and Thursday. On Friday when I went to PT I mentioned it to the therapist. My motion was good and he didn't seem concerned. We pushed up my exercises as I have apparently graduated to level 2. (Whatever that means) Long story short-I went to work after and as the day went on my pain got worse & worse. This morning I brought out crutches as I couldn't hardly put weight on it. Did I do something when it "clunked" or just overdo the PT? I'm wondering if I need to call the doc...


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hopefully you have just overdone it on the exercises & your body is just letting you know,
But I would certainly ring your surgeons office & ask his opinion.....just to be on the safe side....no harm in making due & it I'll give you peace of mind. Xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
No harm in asking...it should have said! X


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thank you! I'm starting to think I just pushed too hard as it is feeling a little better today. I'm gonna tell my PT not to push me so hard. Might take me longer but better to get there slowly than not get there at all. Lol! That clunk noise scared me though. Has anyone else experienced that? It traumatized me -like I thought I broke it!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom