I haven't slept for 8 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone else tried those orthotics before surgery ?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @2 for Jeff - Yes, you will get your muscle strength back, IF you work at that. They need to be strengthened and you won't have the arthritis pain or irregular gait, so you will be able to build those muscle groups (gluts, abductor adductor, etc) back up. That's what outpatient PT will help you with, so don't push yourself for the first 2 weeks after surgery.
My opinion is you should scrap the orthotics after surgery for a while. If need be, buy new ones about 3 mos or more post surgery. HSS will give you socks with rubber bottoms on them after surgery, be sure to take them home. They're good to use at home, cause you won't slip/slide on floors. Also, ask the hospital if you can take 2 of their ice bags home with you (I found them pretty good).
 
@2 for Jeff

Well I am going through the orthotics issue right now. What I found is now my gait is symmetrical, my orthotics feel like they are pushing me out of my shoes. So I went back to the guy who made them who is a chiropodist....he specializes in braces and orthotics. He could see the problem right away and basically my orthotics will now bee really nice insoles with more cushioning at the heels.

As you have two bad hips and are not getting them done at the same time, I would speak to your doctor to see what he thinks. I am sure he had run across the question tons of times before.

Here is a huge tip another poster gave me about the ice machine.....I believe it was @Jamie...

The machines run on cold water and ice. Instead of ice cubes, buy some bout 8 small bottles of water and freeze them. The machine will take 3 or 4 frozen bottles and then you fill the rest of the space with water to the line indicated....put the bottles in first, then the water. By using frozen water bottles, you don't have to keep feeding the machine ice....it will stay cold for about 7 hours. I recommend the Ossur Cold Therapy machine as it is whisper quiet but go and see at the store as you want a pad that fits. Your hip. If you have anterior, the pad which contains chilled water through tubes attached to the machine, is placed in the front of your leg over your pj pants.

Oh yes, if you have a guest room, park yourself or your wife , if she would rather be there during your recovery time, in it. Trust me your spouse will not get a good night sleep until about 5 or 6 weeks....my hubby just moved back to our bed last week as I no longer use the ice machine at all and can get around just fine!

Now have everything set up prior to leaving to the hospital.....toilet seat with handles is very important. Also I had a power bar by the bed for my IPad which I kept plugged into the charger, my cold machine etc. and then I cleared the entire floor of anything I could trip on. I got a small bedside table and put the cold machine with a towel under it on the table and the power bar under the table. I also had a big plastic bag by the machine so my husband could take the thawed bottles out and back to the freezer and then bring new frozen bottles up to the machine.

I put all my med bottles in a small plastic see through case and it was right at my bedside. Easy to access and all together.

Now I did all of this the day before my surgery to make sure when I got home everything was exactly where I knew it would be! I hung my grabber off the bedpost nearest my head.

I cannot think of any other tips for now.


Cheryl
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Great tips, Cheryl. And you're right about the frozen bottles. They worked perfectly for me. You can also use something like margarine tubs or Cool Whip containers. I liked the bottles because they fit the water compartment nicely.
 
@2 for Jeff ..... I'm glad the orthotics have helped you get through this period leading up to surgery. You're quite right that you're going to be making changes once you have the first hip done and even more changes when the second one is completed. Don't throw the orthotics out completely until you see how things settle with your unoperated hip. The main thing is to stay comfortable while you wait for that second operation. Then you can begin to evaluate what, if any, orthotics are going to be needed going forward. One thing is for certain...once both hips are done, the old orthotics will not be good for you. Things will have changed with your body's alignment - for the better!!! You'll be practicing good, long strides and walking normally. You WILL walk normally too!!

It is likely that you'll need to work on muscle strength as well as some gait training. Your therapist can get you started on the gait training and give you sheets to describe strengthening exercises once you are a couple of months into recovery. You'll want to let your body heal completely from both surgeries before you get serious about strength training. But you are going to be able to regain your strength. It might take a while....you didn't get the way you are right now in a few months....so you'll need to be patient. But it's completely possible for you to be strong and healthy with those new hips!
 
@2 for Jeff - I've got very flat feet too and had worn orthotics for years. Mine were custom made though as I also had one leg longer than the other. I stopped wearing them the day of my surgery and haven't used them since (4 months). So far it seems as though I no longer need them as if I tried to go without them before the op I'd get hip, knee, back, shoulder, neck pain, you name it and now I don't. The best advice I think is to take them out the day of your surgery, keep them in the back of the cupboard and give it six months to see if you still need them. Another good tip is to buy new shoes to wear after surgery so you're not wearing old ones worn down unevenly in your old bad walking patterns.

I'd echo the suggestion above of separate beds after the op. It was great for us. I was sleeping (badly) sitting up for the first several weeks, plus I really really wouldn't have wanted the operated hip bumped into accidentally in the night.

Don't worry you'll be just fine. We'll all be there for you and your life will begin again after your surgery. :-) no more days off sick through pain :-)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
but tomorrow night at 2am , I have to set the clocks back to 1am and actually work 13 hours.
I remember that happening when I worked nights - also when I was on call for the OR all night. Okay when you didn't get called out - a real trial if you did!
Has anyone waited so long to get their hip replaced like me that their foot on the bad leg starts to turn out a little? And what about rebuilding leg muscles. How hard is it to get your leg muscles to grow and get strong?
You will adjust and improve, don't worry. Just remember that hips actually don't need much exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
I can tell you one thing, with me feet towed out, it puts so much pressure and torque on my knees that they hurt more than my hips.
Everyone gets that in one form or another. Try not to let it worry you so much.
Oxynium sounds durable. Thanks for the link.
Don't fuss about oxynium and such - these implants are all pretty much the same. What makes the difference is the surgeon's skill!
Has anyone had one hip replaced and had to deal with the other one hurting while trying to recover ?
And knees. Trust me, it happens to everyone in some way or other.
No one else can relate to the severity of it all except the Hippies
I can! I had a knee done but I've seen two sisters and various friends through THR and TKR , not to mention several thousand BoneSmarties! I fully understad what you are going through.
after a couple of months or even a year, do you realize or get the sensation that there's something inside you? Can you feel that the implants are there?
Never! Surgeons say they look forward to hearing about the "forgotten hip", meaning the patient never thinks of it. Which is as it should be. The only reason I keep thinking about my knee is because I work on here! :snork:
Thanks for telling me about the flexibility I will someday enjoy.
Well look at this young lady - I know you're not anticipating doing anything like her but isn't it good to know it's possible? She was 24 when she had her hip done, btw

[Bonesmart.org] I haven't slept for 8 years.


I think that's a great idea about starting your post-op exercises before hand. I'm just not sure how to do that. I would imagine each persons exercise would be Tailored to them specifically. Or maybe there's a generic print out I can find online.
To be honest, I really wouldn't bother. Since you're having your op in 2 weeks' time, you can't make enough impression to be worth the extra pain you cause but you can make your hip awfully angry! And trust me, you do NOT want to see it when it's angry!

[Bonesmart.org] I haven't slept for 8 years.
 
@2 for Jeff

Jeff, everything coming together for your upcoming surgery? Haven't heard from you for a few days, so I figured you were working upto the last minute!

Cheryl
 
Tick tock,Tick tock,Tick tock,
Time for me is slowing down. I guess the 21st will eventually get here. You guessed it right Cheryl, I just got out of work 3 hours ago.
People are coming over to install new kitchen sink, counter top, back splash, and floor this morning. No sleep for me.
The more I ache, the more I know I'm ready for surgery.
I hope everyone in recovery is making big strides


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@CanukTriMom I went to Bed Bath & Beyond today and picked up so many things. I did as you suggested and got the HurryCane, that was a nice grab. I got some bed risers as MajorHeidi mentioned, and I can't live without my coffee, so I took faster pussycats advise and purchased a thermos. But all in all Ive listened to everyone here and when my wife was making the shopping list and asking me what I need. Then I started to recite everything from memory, back to back and after a while she stopped writing and just stared at me. That was funny. You see, I'm a good listener, some might say I talk to much also but I think they go hand and hand.
I bought a body pillow, and also a little wedge type of pillow for between your knees.
That store has so many little gadgets that if your not paying attention your cart will be over flowing.
I got the little grabber thingy, I few things for my cat, and some hand rails for the shower.
Oh yes... Thank God for shopping carts to lean on as you empty your wallet.
I bumped in to 2 people that I knew, and 2 people that I didn't know. WELL I SAID I WAS SORRY!
They should have been watching where they was going LoL
Chloe wanted an Elsa doll from the movie Frozen and my wife did the old, ASK YOUR FATHER thing.
Come on, you know I got it for her.
Couldn't find that raised toilet seat to save my life. Well some stores had it but I want the one with hand rails. Bed bath & Beyond didn't have it, Target didn't have it, and CVS, and Walgreens didn't either.
Okay I didn't get everything but it's definitely starting to look like Im preparing for something big.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@bottomshollow That's the one ! Thanks. There are 3 medical supply stores in my area and they all closed by 3 pm yesterday. I'll give it a go on Monday


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Jeff: Two recommendations: 1 -- Make sure you or your wife asks the hospital PT to use an elbow crutch, not a cane, when they show you how to go up and down steps (and for using after you graduate from the walker at home). I felt that the elbow crutch gave me much more safety and support than a cane for stability. My insurance covered the cost of a set of elbow crutches (they come in pairs), and I used the other one when I had my second operation. 2 --- Also important: Have a comfortable place to nap at home. I used a couch in my family room. I watched the World Cup every afternoon until I fell asleep (good tv timing). After my first operation, I watched every episode of 'Love it or List it' ever produced, but only the first 15 minutes...:) Plan on a nap every day for 2-3 weeks or maybe more.
 
@MarkK Thanks for the tip about the crutches, and I'm looking forward to those naps. It looks like I purchased everything for my recovery. Cold therapy machine will be delivered in 3 to 5 days and my wife bought me a recliner lift chair today at Bobs furniture store. It's just the waiting game now.
Keep positive Jeff, that's what I keep telling myself. Everyone here has went out of their way to cushion the playing field for me. I'm a very lucky man because think about the people out there without this support system. It must be tuff.
Mark, you and the rest of the members has successfully prepared me for the biggest battle of my life, and I'm ready.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sounds like you're all set for the big day & thereafter. Suggestions (maybe someone already suggested these & I missed them): a sock aid & adult bath wipes for when you're too pooped or not yet ready for a shower. They can be really refreshing. Don't forget to make a "nest" for yourself with all your stuff that you'll need during the day. If you got those "hand rails for the shower" that attach by suction, be very careful; they're not meant to support weight & can be unreliable. And a leg lifter is immeasurably helpful in getting that "log leg" into & out of bed. Hope this helped. :heehee: Oh, btw, Loungedoctor.com has a great wedge pillow for elevating legs.
 
@2 for Jeff sounds like you are really getting ready. I am 6 weeks out from my second THR tomorrow and I can confirm - you won't regret this surgery!
 
@shrinkette Thanks for the heads up about shower rails. I did get the ones with suction cups. I knew they looked to good to be true. I can't remember seeing a leg lifter at medical supply store, I will have to make another trip for those and wipes....Thanks
I'm so happy today because I just found out that almost all of the money I've been spending in the past 2 weeks will be reimbursed by my 125 Tax plan. ( I have additional PRE TAX dollars withheld from my pay check each week for uncovered medical expenses, (copays, medical supplies, transportation, and lots more) it's a great plan) they will even cover my cold water therapy machine and reclining lift chair. They said also they will cover lodging for out of state medical expenses (up to $50.00 per person)
The plan is called the 125 Tax Flexible Spending Account. All employers human resources should have more information.
The maximum pretax dollars you can have withheld per year is, I believe $ 2,500.00
Two years ago with the old plan, if you didn't use the money, you lost the money ( use it or lose it)
Now they will roll over up to $500.00 to the following year if you don't use it.
I think it's a great plan. If you can roughly estimate your yearly out of pocket copays and other unpaid medical cost it's in your best interest.
It's your own money and it's pre tax dollars.
Thanks again shrinkette.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Jaycey it's all a matter of me getting and keeping my head straight. You all did the rest.
It sounds like your doing great. I will have to look up your recovery threads.
Thanks Jaycey.... 11 days and counting


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Jeff, we still use the "suction cup" handrails in our shower, and it's been 2 years for me. Shrinkette is right, they can be unreliable, however, make sure your wife "tests" them before you get in or out of the shower to ensure that they're stuck on good. Try and find a good spot now while you can maneuver in and out. The other week we had quite a start in the middle of the night when one fell off of the wall into the tub. Sounded like someone breaking in!! Just a great reminder to keep checking them periodically...

Do you have a "seat" in your shower? I got an adjustable shower seat that worked well. Also a good thing to practice getting in and out of the tub before you start using it for real.

Your shopping cart certainly sounded overflowing (especially getting everything at once). Regarding the raise t-seat, we got a toilet frame w/seat when my hubby had his back surgery. It was a lifesaver for my hip surgery a couple years after that. The side handles were definitely needed, especially when heeding the restrictions. I also used a lift belt that he could get a good grip to help. They gave us the belt at the hospital, and the toilet seat/frame was mostly covered by insurance (small deductible for durable medical goods).

And the countdown begins...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom