TKR I have a new knee!

Oh, Jacky, the entire train ride I worried that they were going to have to clear the area and bring in a crane to get nana off of the train. Being able to get up and off was a huge deal. :yes:
 
I've felt like that many times, especially when we went down south to visit our daughter, every hotel we stayed at had toilets for elementary school! Now a hoist would not have been pretty there my friend! :heehee:
 
Funny about the toilets. I work in a high school but for some bizarre reason back in 1955 they put in a kiddy toilet in my office (nurses office). So it was kind of good when I went back to work to get used to the low toilet.
 
My Mom just got home after a 10 week stay in rehab center for shattered pelvis. As part of organizing her apartment for safe return, we found on Amazon a Toilevator. It's a 3 1/2 inch riser that you attach at base of toilet. Beauty is with toilet raised from floor and not seat you get to enjoy life comforts as god intended. Kit comes with everything you need to install. It costs $100. Thinking of installing in our own home!
 
Nine months...has a nice ring to it. I hope each successive month finds the root word success (more of it).
 
Thanks, tailspud! I can't wait to have 2 new knees just like you. How are you feeling? It's funny, now that my new knee feels fantastic, I don't really remember how much I disliked recovery...sort of like childbirth, I think. The prize is so much bigger and better than what you went through to get it. Remind me that I just said that in January. :rotfl:
 
I was not looking forward to a 2nd recovery...it is a bit of a nasty operation. I guess I am glad now as I have things I want to do using both legs (long distance hiking, snowshoe expeditions, cycle touring). So, I needed to do this at some point and I'm not getting any younger. I read your thread a pages back where you had done a lot of walking one day and it went well w/1 good knee. Well, I hope after your 2nd one many days like that are even better. I hope #2 recovery proves to a bit easier for you.

I am doing well at 2 weeks + 2 days. I hit the gym today...all upper body and core w/cardio via arm cycle. It felt great. My knee is far less swollen and I can do easy circles on the bike (probably 100-105 flex). I did get the Conformis iTotal G2. Surgery was only about 40 mts and the smaller bone resection probably helped early recovery. I have had more energy than #1. I did spur a bout of gout that was quite painful for a few days and is lingering. All in all better than #1 so far and hoping to keep it going.
 
By the way, why January ? You do live in New England (I think).
 
Woohoo, Nyland :yay: Congratulations on your nine month anniversary and particularly that you have done so well, coming through the nasty recovery on top form :dancy: I am well happy for you my lovely friend :flwrysmile:
 
trailspud, I chose January because every month from now until then is planned. This summer I need to finish school. My dissertation defense is in August. My daughter is pregnant with her 2nd and is due in November. I want to be there for her and don't want to miss the birth or the baby's first holidays. My surgeon doesn't work the week after Christmas, so January 6th it is. I'm so busy until then, I won't even think about it and I sure hate the winter, so I don't mind hibernating during the worst of it. :heehee:
That is so interesting about you new knee and the easier recovery. I always wondered if you need to have 2 matching knees??? Yes, I agree that next summer I will be able to walk and walk and I can't wait. One good knee makes all the difference in the world. I'll feel luck I've won the jackpot with 2 good knees.
KathyH, hi there! Thank you. I had to giggle when you mentioned my recovery. I remember how miserable that I was, but honestly that is all that i remember now. In my silly head, I had surgery, and got an awesome knee that works and doesn't hurt. I guess I'm in for a rude awakening. :rotfl: Oh well, I know how worth it it is, and I also know that my bonesmarty friend get it and will allow me to vent again the next time. Hope all is well and you are enjoying your new grandson. :friends:
 
Oh how we all get miserable at some point in our recoveries. The good thing for your second op is that you will be well prepared this time and know what to expect. Oh and it will be so worth it, Nyland. And you vent all you like, we will all be here for you :flwrysmile:

Little Rayan is doing so well. He had a check-up at the hospital last week and he passed with flying colours. He will have another one in eight months time just to double check. In this photo, one of Kelly's friends knitted him his baby sack. How cute is this:

[Bonesmart.org] I have a new knee!
 
KathyH OH MY GOODNESS, how adorable!!! He is darling!! This picture looks like it should be in a magazine. I love it. Thank you for making me smile!
 
Hello everyone!!!

My right knee will be 1 year old tomorrow. I wanted to post a happy birthday to my fabulous knee today, because i may not be able to post tomorrow.
I love my knee. It is strong, pain-free and helps me lead a better life than I could ever imagine. I had my 1-year appointment yesterday and my surgeon was thrilled.
The reason I may not be able to post tomorrow is that 2 weeks ago a blue, golf ball size lump appeared on the sole of my left foot. Right in the arch. It is sensitive and extremely painful to the touch. At first we thought that it was a vascular tumor, because of the color. The MRI report says that it is not normal and unusual. My surgeon called me at Jury Duty on Monday, told me to get to her office as soon as I was released, and by the way, she scheduled surgery for Friday. So there you have it, an inconvenient tumor that is not normal. The surgeon said not to even think about it until we get the pathology report back. I really am not worried, I know that's sort of weird, but I think it is going to be ok. Thank goodness I needed to finish school and couldn't have my left knee replaced in the spring like I wanted, right? Can you imagine trying to recover and then have your foot cut open? (You remember how much I complained about my recovery, so I know you wouldn't have wanted to listen to a double dose.
My daughter is having another boy! Due on Halloween!!!
Good news, I do not have to defend my thesis, the director and committee LOVED it. A!!! I got it back last night with the news. It came right at the perfect time. I was having a poor me moment. Not about the tumor, but that I would miss half of our very short summer AGAIN this year. I had 3 notes. I need to capitalize a word, I omitted a word (the), and one of my graphs was upside down. (yikes!) When I give it back with those 3 corrections, they are going to print it on the official watermark, rag library paper. I'm so psyched.
I'm in the middle of my last class ever. Trying to finish this week's work before my surgery on Friday, and hope to be able to catch up on next week's work when I am discharged. I was asked to teach epidemiology to the 3rd years. I started in May and I love it! I love epi.
So, a big hi to everyone, and a big happy 1 year to my wonderful knee.
I’ll be back to update you on Friday’s surgery. I figure if I lived through a knee replacement, this unwelcome tumor will be a breeze.
Love to all!
~Nyland
 
Nyland, happy birthday to your new right knee--and prayers that your left-foot growth turns out to be benign (as benign as something that painful can be). Doesn't sound neoplastic. If it appeared so suddenly and painfully in an area that gets as much wear and tear as the arch of your foot, it's likely there was some gradual trauma that reached a "tipping point." Keep us posted!
 
Nyland I'm so wishing you well my friend. I hope all goes well with your foot. Enough is enough already!

Happy 1 year Birthday for you RTKR my friend! One year seems like a long time until we think how long we were in pain..

Stay well my friend! (((HUGS)))
 
CONGRATS... REMEMBER ME.. i ts my knees bday too !!!! Cannot believ its been a year... I am doing great too.. We are so blessed to have this behind us... Getting past those very rough months seems like like. Memory now... Sure hope all goes well with your foot...its sad we get one thing fixed and here comes another.. Mine is my back.. Its back in full swing and I will more than likely have surgery again on mine.. It was 5 years ago today... So strange the 24 and 25 th are not my favorite numbers.. I also lost mt sweet and only sister on the 25th of March...
Enought about me... Just wanted to say. Yeahhhhhhh you did it... Best of prayers for your foot...lovya and catch ya later
 
Wishing you the best with your foot surgery. Your one year birthday sounds better than mine. Good luck.
 
My husband attended the first couple PT sessions at home because he wanted to be sure I understood how to do the exercises. I never had a nurse visit, just PT every other day.
 
Nyland congrats on your birthday and your thesis! Both of these are MAJOR accomplishments! I hope the knot on the bottom of your foot can be taken care of without too much pain, and I wish you a speedy recovery my friend!:happydance:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom