Guest viewing is limited

TKR I have a new knee!

:goodpost:Yaaaaaaay what a brilliant brilliant post. So how many weeks are you so i know when to expect it. (sorry Jo not comparing) am just so happy for you.:friends::yay: :egypdance:
 
Thanks, Jacky! She's my sidekick! Nana took her to have her Christmas pictures taken on Monday. On Friday, I take my grandson. On Saturday, Nana and Papa are taking them to visit Santa. On Sunday....Nana and Papa will enjoy a nice bottle of wine. :heehee:
 
Nyland, that's wonderful! Even if it stiffens back up tomorrow from all that newfound stomping around today, you now know it's possible! I haven't had that happen yet.
 
Hi Patricia,
Today I am EXACTLY 16 weeks. Please don't ever apologize for asking questions, especially ones that can give us hope to get through the tough days. I see that you are at week 4. Oh boy, weeks 3, 4, and 5 were the toughest for me, but they do get better, I PROMISE!!!!!!
 
Nyland, I really needed to read this post today. I have been feeling the same way lately, like I will never be able to walk right, never not be in pain,never have it just feel OK, that I am just too fat for this knee and that it will always hurt because of that. I am just sitting here crying as I write this because it has been so hard and tiring going back to work and not feeling 100% and not being able to do the things I want. I am several weeks behind you but this makes me feel, that maybe, just maybe I will find a light at the end of the tunnel. I am so glad you found yours!
 
Hi Janet,
Thanks for that reminder. Maybe I should have saved the stomping since I see my OS tomorrow. I think that all of you incredible people that had both knees done at the same time will be rewarded tenfold. You are a special bunch for sure. One of these days, I'll be starting all over again and you'll be playing soccer and baseball with the grandchildren.
 
Please dont be sad Lisa. Your turn will come and hopefully very soon. It must be tiring when youve been so long recovering. Im only in week 4 and it seems a lifetime. Your journey is almost at its end. and I for one will be cheering you when it happens. Sending you HUGS x x x x:friends:
 
Come here, Lisa, let me give you a big hug. Believe me when I tell you that i was crying a month ago. At least you KNOW what you are crying about. I had no idea. I cried for anything, nothing,and everything! In fact, let me tell you a little secret! I was in such a funk and so desperate to get out of it, I put my Christmas Tree up, hung the stockings, put out the candles, wreathes and all of the lights outside. (well, my hubby did the outside.) I have my Christmas CDs ready to play every morning. OK, so I'm not a total nut! I won't actually light anything or play Christmas music until Thanksgiving night, but i just had to think of things to lift my spirits. I understand, sweetie. I truly do. It is a tough recovery, especially with the funk that comes with it. Do me a favor, come here and reach out when you need a lift. Everyone has walked in your shoes or will. We care. There is a light at the end of your tunnel. I PROMISE!
 
Patricia and Nyland, Thank you so much, as I really needed the hugs! I think I am just somewhat at the end of my rope and returning to work, even though it is not full-time yet, it is taking a lot out of me and I try to put a good face on it at work as things piled up in my absence and there is so much for me to do and I just get so tired. And last night I only had 5 hours of sleep so was doubly tired. I feel like at this point everyone expects me to be fine. My friends, my coworkers, my family, my neighbors, my personal trainer, my quilt group, just everyone. And I don't feel fine. I think about my knee all the time and I think I am the most boring person in the world because I don't do anything fun yet because I just don't walk that much yet. My biggest event is to make it through the grocery store. So it just has me down. I want to be fine and to have it be easy to walk and to not have it hurt and fatigue me, but it still does and so I just cry about it. And to top it all off, my quilt group had a going away party for one of our members who is moving to Atlanta and they had it yesterday during the day when I could not leave work. I normally plan and host our parties and bee meetings and we always have them on Fridays to accommodate the people who work the other days of the week, but I did not feel up to planning and hosting the party yet, so for whatever reason, they picked a Tuesday when I could not go so I feel bad and my feelings were hurt and I think that has been making me cry too. When I told them that I would not be able to attend because I had just returned to work and could not take off, they looked at me like I had two heads.

I so understand doing the Christmas decorations to lift your spirits. Makes a lot of sense to me. Maybe I can dig out a few simple decorations and put them up as I don't have the energy for much more. Or I might buy myself a bunch of flowers next time I am at Trader Joes. I like flowers and they always cheer me up.
 
Yes, Lisa, do something nice for yourself. If it helps, I could have typed your post at some point. Oh, and something else...i haven't cried at all this week! (knock on wood!) Hang in there sweetie. Better days are coming!
 
Okay Lisa I am mad at your quilt group. That was really thoughtless of them especially considering you were the one who usually hosted.
I am glad you posted because I think your issue that people expecting us to pop back to normal like nothing happened, "Oh you got a new knee, you should be fine now" is going to happen to all of us. This is one of those things where unless you've been through it yourself, You truly don't understand.
I worry too that this pain and lack of mobility is going to just stick this way. I know I'm only a month out but that's how I feel. It's good to know that eventually that feeling should go away but its so hard for you with being back and work, probably over-taxing your knee.
I'm happy for Nyland!!! Yeah!!! But I sure do sympathize with you!!!
 
Marianne,
BINGO! You hit that nail on the head. I have even said to friends, family, and co-workers that just because I'm working doesn't mean that I have recovered. Even now that my knee feels normal, I am very well aware of the toll the surgery had on my body. My whole body took a hit. Someone asked me today when I was going to get my other knee replaced. i told them that my right knee may be ready, but I still need to give my body time to recover. I'll know when I'm ready, I just know that even though I feel well, I'm not ready for another HIT just yet. Going back to work too soon was tough. I couldn't wait to get back, but once I was there I felt stuck and bamboozled. I was told that I could work from home, work a few hours a couple of days a week, but the TRUTH was that i was expected (and did) work at LEAST 9-10 hours a day. Now, I have always passionately loved my job, but lately not so much. I sort of resent it. I may have even posted here, during a weak moment, that I hate my job...not sure, because i say it often. Those that know and love me know I don't mean it, but that's the way I feel especially at the end of the day. There are only 2 of us, and I fly solo almost every day. I can do it, I do love it, it is not the work, I just resent that a perfectly healthy person stays home and I'm recovering while covering...if you get my drift. Now that my knee is happy, and I've pulled out all the stops to fight off the funk, I'm hoping that i will love going to work again. I now that I am so blessed. Many people have to work at jobs they hate or don't have jobs to go to, so I get that and I'm grateful. Its a tough recovery. Anyone that says it is not is either lying or has super powers. It does get easier, though. Hang in there, and know that we care.
 
Nyland oh boy I relate to that. I have decided to ignore a couple nurse friends of mine and go ahead and go back at 12 weeks but take off Wednesdays for a few weeks. I really like my job too but I'm afraid I will be right there with you if I don't take care of myself about going back. And no one else is going to "take care of us" are they! Just like you said they think our scar looks good, brand new knee...everything is fine now. But the physical exhaustion from a very long time under anesthesia takes a toll on our whole body including the brain. I just feel pooped and if it's from lack of exercising then how can we fix that right now!
Knee #2 Yup me too, its next and it's feeling lousy. I sort of felt like I'd rather have it taken care of now while I'm off work because I don't feel that great anyway. It's kind of like a who cares thing! May as well knock me out and fix that one while I'm down! I am going to talk to dr tomorrow at my 4 wk check up and ask him about getting an MRI for it. I've had xrays, Synvisc and PRP in it to no avail and one doctor said it's right behind the other one with needing to be replaced. But my OS said that often the other one (non-operated) leg gets better when the new knee is up and running.
I want to post a pic of my little Sophie. She already has a crush on Flea after seeing that glossy of him and his bedroom eyes. But my pics are too big and they won't post. I'll have to work on that. What state are you in...Sophie wants a play date. We will provide snacks and beverages. Sophie just ate a beanie baby someone gave me in the hospital. It's all I can do to keep her from licking my incision. She eyeballs it with one eye, pretending she's asleep and then sneaks up on it and all HECK breaks loose! Okay sorry I have been alone in this house for too long!!! Anyway, thanks for posting about the feelings that many of us are also either feeling or worried about!
 
Howdy! I think that Josephine can help you with your picture size. I'm in Massachusetts.
 
It's the little things! LOOK! No more orthopedic shoes! I can actually wear cute shoes now! TADA!

[Bonesmart.org] I have a new knee!
 
Yay Nyland, another milestone!:yay: Those shoes are really pretty! I love your "TADA"! It looks like your little side kick is saying it too!:)
 
I knew my bonesmart friends would get it! It has been so very long! Today is going to be a great day!
[Bonesmart.org] I have a new knee!
 
Speaking of people not understanding, my brother who lives out of state emailed me the other day about our Thanksgiving plans. His bright idea was that the whole family would get together on Friday and go to the local museum because it has an exhibit of one of my favorite things and then everyone could come back to my house for Thanksgiving dinner. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? I just had surgery 2 weeks ago and you think I can stand to walk around a museum and then cook a full meal for the whole family??? Even if I were to ride a motorized wheelchair, I still can't cook a meal. And I went to the grocery store yesterday to pick up a few things with my mom (She wanted to make me dinner) and I got two aisles in on the riding chair and I hurt so bad I couldn't stand it. We had to grab the few items we needed and leave. I have no idea how I am going to go back to work on the 26th when I can't sit in a chair for any length of time. At least my work is willing to work with me starting at part time.
 
Back
Top Bottom