I have a date!!!...with my new hero!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Nana2-8 - Just when the pain and waiting get to be a little much over here, all I have to do is read one of your posts and I'm immediately laughing at this journey we're on! (HAHA!! Yes, OS, please just grab the scope from the GI clinic and while you're at it, let's get EVERYTHING taken care of!!! :loll:) Hey, NO topic is off-limits at this point, Kathy!!!! (And it would appear that plumbing issues can become a real problem post-op! I'm continuing to take my 400 mg magnesium - will double up post-op, as CC suggested... I'm sure there'll be plenty more stories as we continue on!!) I can't tell you how happy I am that the dr had no issue with the tooth extraction, and that you're "all clear - full speed ahead!" ! I've been thinking about you today, praying for as easy as possible extraction without too many uncomfortable after-effects! As to the "dentist-chair bed head?" Aw, just good practice for the look we'll be sporting in just a couple of weeks! :-) I'll be checking in on you in a bit to see how you weathered the visit... I'm sure you sailed right through it! xox

@canoewoman - As sad as I was to hear that you had to deal with a very sore and swollen ankle, I wonder if it was actually a blessing in disguise! After what you said about needing a referral from the OS, whom you wouldn't be seeing for a bit of time, this was the fast track to get you into physio! I'm sure they'll be able to get you past this difficult time, address the limp that's been plaguing you, and get you really moving forward! Hope today was a much better day!!
 
Went to physio and there was a resident physiotherapist (in training) plus the physiotherapist who will be working on me and she is also an MD. The assessment, twisting my hip and legs here and there and having me roll over and lie on my surgical side (first time) and all else took about 2 hours and this evening I just ache all over and my hip hurts.

The exercises they gave me to do at home are important but nothing like I had to do pre op. In fact some of the pre op ones which are often recommended post op are not good enough so its going to be hard work twice a day but they are confident my limp will improve and the fluid will subside and the fluid build up is, according to the physiotherapist very common.

I am going to have a hot shower and go to bed with my tylenol 3s as I dont think I could even try the exercises tonight. I am just too sore. I dont think the blood clot scare affected the decision to get me into see the PT faster. It was just coincidence but I was impressed with the assessment they did even though it hurt like hell. I did do my daily walking afterwards but was thinking of doing another walk this evening but am too sore and its raining now.

Hope the dental appointment went well.
 
Oh my goodness....let's just say....the dental appointment WENT !!!! It's out! I've been to him before and he is an expert....it's the aftermath in dealing with it! But.....mama's got me some powerful drugs!!! Trying to type right now is giving me a peek into my future...I'm struggling.

Two things.....for anyone to answer (I have a feeling CC will pop in with the perfect response!) ~ ~ It falls under the heading of: THERE HAS TO BE AN APP FOR THAT!!! I'm too drugged to find it...but surely there's some app into which you can plug the times and various pills....and our trusty little cell-phone would ping to let us know??? Right? All I have right now is an antibiotic-500mg, heavy-duty Ibuprofen-500mg, and tho I don't expect to need it, I also have Vicoden.....and the pro-biotic to avoid a yeast infection (take that one in between...not with!!) If there is no such app.....where's my white lab coat? I get my 'residents' on it! ~ I know there's a sheet we can print out, I know there are the multitude of pill holders, by day, by week, by hour......I want a 'reminder'

Second thing: And maybe it's @Josephine who can answer me.. The evening I got home from my surgery last fall, it so surprised me that I experienced un-controlable shaking.....was freezing....teeth chattering...every limb shaking...it lasted about an hour....scarey. At that time, DH 'spooned' behind me and rubbed my back until it finally stopped. Today, the same thing! It was 82 degrees outside, I put on long socks, had on long cotton pants, long sleeve t-shirt with a fleece zip up over that.....and then two blankets. I tried praying in my head, deep breathing, meditation practices, praying out loud (try that with a 'sponge' in your mouth!!). I was afraid to walk to the bedroom/bathroom for fear of tripping/falling....and potty called often......and no one around to 'spoon'.....boo-hoo me! This time it last and hour and a half! Maybe I should warn them for when I'm in recovery? Or maybe they have some 'magic' they can squirt into my IV?
 
What you have described are all the symptoms of 'syncope' (fainting) or even shock most often caused by a significant drop in blood pressure. I'm sure if you would have taken it then it would have been down in your boots. This would also be connected with you passing lots of urine which is fluid being drawn off your blood.

Best first aid for this is to just lay on the bed or sofa with your legs elevated as high as you can get them until the wooziness abates. Don't try to warm yourself up at this point. Once you feel better from that, blankets and maybe a warm (not hot) drink would help. If it lasts more than about 30 mins, then you need to get medical attention which I suppose in the US means getting an ambulance to take you into ER. Or, if they're good paramedics like we have here, they can first aid you until your blood pressure returns to normal. The usual treatment is, as I've said, elevating legs so the blood drains from them into your core. If this simple remedy doesn't do the job, then an IV infusion of just saline would increase the blood volume and bring your blood pressure up.

I think in future, you should tell the staff when you have any treatment that you have a tendency to become very faint. It might be as simple as an over reaction to one of the drugs you were given or maybe just anxiety though I doubt that would produce the degree of symptoms you experienced. It would be better then if they kept you in the facility for an hour or so as getting up and walking around too soon can easily bring this on if you are susceptible.
 
Thank you @Josephine ~ Your explanation makes sense tho I have NEVER fainted in my life. And I had NO anxiety about the extraction....he's 'almost' painless, if you can believe it...just the needle prick! And quick! I trust it must have been a drop in BP and will be on the look-out for it in the future. I will speak up prior to THR so they will be aware of it also. And will advise DH, so he might remind me if it occurs once we get home. Happy to report that everything went 'according to plan' once that minor blip was straightened out.
 
Yay!! Glad to hear you have crossed another hurdle on your journey.
Hope your evening goes well without too much mouth pain.

Journey on!!!
 
About that 'pill reminder app'.......anyone? Surely someone who has gone this path before me has researched and found the perfect app !!

What was originally suppose to be an anti-climatic week has turned into a heart-heavy one. One of my best friends will be burying her 49y/o son who died of a massive heart attack Saturday afternoon.....funeral this week. He was the picture of perfect health, beautiful family, so sad. They are all in shock...and spinning. I will be at my friends beck and call this week.....(maybe my God gave me this added distraction for a reason)
 
@Nana2-8 I found a free Pill reminder app, for the iPhone called Pill Monitor. I seems to work OK.

So sorry to hear about your friends loss. Strength to her and to you so you can be there for her.
 
Thinking of you today, @Nana2-8, praying for strength and comfort and you walk with your dear friends through this devastating loss. Praying for the beautiful young family he left behind, as well as his parents and all who loved him. <3
xoxoxoxox
 
Sorry to hear of this all too soon death. We never know what health issues are lurking in us and what has the potential to be fatal. Its always a worry to me about my own son with his hectic work life and young family and I just do not know what you can say to a parent who has lost a child like your friend did. I guess time will help but it will never be the same for his family and that is the reality of such things. So sorry for this.

I thought I would check in as today I had my first physiotherapy session and it was gruelling. I was ok when I left the hospital and actually walked a fair ways before I got a cab to take me home and then tonight it hit me...everything aches and is sore and since some of it involved my knee which needs replacement it hurt a lot. I am just going to bed and taking some tylenol 3. My hip aches, my legs, my knee caps are terrible and I guess its all those muscles that went awol during the pre op stage with overcompensating and muscles that have not been worked for a long time. I hope this will go away eventually. I was on equipment today that I did not even know existed so it was a revelation to me and so many people there in their 50's - 70's having post op hip or knee physio. Everyone is in the same boat, trying to recover. Knee physio is very common but hips dont get physio till after the restrictions are lifted and into the 6-8 week period which is where I am. I see people walking so normally out there on the street and it does depress me that maybe I won't be able to get to that point again.

Anyway, prayers are with you and your friends.
 
@canoewoman - Your first physiotherapy session!!! Sounds like you worked very hard, and I'm hoping you were able to get a good night's rest after moving all those muscles and joints! Just remember, you were specifically sent for therapy because of the concern over your limp, right? I'm sure they know what muscles need to be strengthened after all the compensation of the pre-op days, as well as what needs to be worked on now that your surgery is complete! I know I'll be dealing with the same sorts of issues as I haven't walked normally for a year now. I would imagine that just as it took us a while to get to the condition we find ourselves in, it will as well take time for all the muscles to recover strength (not to mention the recovery from major surgery!). Try not to let yourself worry about that which may never be yours to have to contend with! Reread the BoneSmart mantras for post-op healing, don't be hard on yourself, and give this time!!! I've seen quite a few people post on the recovery forum something to the effect, "slow and steady wins the race!" If the surgeon sees no physical reason why you can't have a full recovery, then keep putting your eyes on that prize! :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks for the support. I am still very sore today but the worst is my right knee which needs replacement. It hurts far more than the hip and it was really because I did cycling and that involved both legs so it took a beating and it really cannot benefit from physio at this point as there is too much damage. I did go out for my daily walk as I have to get out or cabin fever just overwhelms me. I did my AM excercises and am about to do the PM exercises and then a hot shower. I only took 1 tylenol3 and it wasn't enough so will take 2 before bed. The tylenol 3 takes the edge off but is not really enough. I am however off the dilaudid and have no notion to take anymore of it as it was so hard to get off it and while it masked the knee pain all those weeks its side effects were just too difficult to deal with.

The PT told that people who are walking well and so on are usually in good shape going into surgery which really begs the question just how bad was their hip or knee before surgery that they were in such good shape. I have hobbled around for a year with the hip and 4 or 5 with the knee and I put the knee off because I lived alone and nearly 2000 miles from family help so once I moved thats when I asked my doctor to get me to an orthopaedic surgeon who I thought would tackle the knee first but the hip was in such horrid shape he went for it first.

I just have a hard time seeing how people bounce back after 3 weeks or so. I met a woman who had a hip joint done 4 years ago and she had it first week of December and was back to work the second week of January and never looked back and she is the same age as myself. Hard to believe
 
HI @Nana2-8! :wave:

I don't know why I don't get alerts on your thread! Sorry I've been MIA on your thread! How is the pulled tooth healing? As far as keeping track of your meds, my DH bought me a small wipeable crayon board (about 6" X 8") that worked really well with keeping track of when I took my meds. I set my iPhone alarm clock during the early recovery, so as not to miss a dose. Once I got to the point of taking the pain meds "as needed" the crayon board was a life saver. I had "brain fog for weeks post-op and 10 minutes after taking the meds, I couldn't remember if I had or had not taken them! How are you doing overall both physically and emotionally? Hugs! :friends:
 
Oh my gosh, @Cynthia777, I am glad to know I'm not alone in the "did I or didn't take the med" just 10 minutes later. And this is before THR - just with my standard meds. I'm going to have to take notes too as it gets more intricate.
 
Hey @Cynthia777 - good to 'see' you, my friend. As you are checking off your list of things to take to Del Mar, I am stashing aside things to take for my 'over-night' next Thursday! ~ I had a little sneak-peek into keeping track of pills with the tooth extraction which got me to thinking of 'whatever' pills I might be assigned after THR. You're so right....."did I just take that, or.....do I need to take it in 2 hours?" And that's with my Sunday-thru-Saturday pill container! I just don't want to play catch-up with the pain pills......all the others I could care less about. (Well, ....not really, but.....). And there were some needed every 8 hours, some 4-6 hours, some for only in between (to prevent yeast infection) - oh my! However, if that's the biggest thing I need to be concerned about, I'll be a happy camper (and I don't go camping!!) ~ ~ So, all in all, I'm in 'countdown' mode. One last dusting and cleaning of the toilets, laundry, groceries.....you know the drill. Fun family wedding this coming weekend. My mind will be kept busy until I begin the antibacterial spa treatment the night before checking into 'prison'! ~ Please remember to check in with me once you return from your 'walking-in-the-sand' adventure so I can brag about my procedure! xxoo
 
@WendyP648
Let me tell you, my brain fog started a month or more before my THR's and although I said it lasted "weeks" after, now at almost 90 days, it's still going strong! It's not just you, believe me! :-)

@Nana2-8
You always make me chuckle...thanks!!! I'm not leaving for Del Mar until the 9th of August, so you can count on me being right here by your side! I'm happy you're able to stay busy during this unsettling pre-op time. Waiting was the absolute worst part of the journey for me. Hugs!
 
Okay folks ~ The official countdown has begun....in earnest! Have all the last minute (days) things to get done and have plans to see my little 3-1/2y/o dance class tomorrow morning ~ hope to get together with my friend who buried her son last week, and then 'check-in' and 'check-out'. Distractions, distractions. I hope I remember to start my recovery thread Wednesday night. I am not taking my ipad with me and therefore at the very first I 'might' be in communication would be Friday afternoon/evening....just to say I'm alive! In all the advance preparations and gleanings from everyone, I can't help but feel I've forgotten something! As tho I'm off to Mars....and it can't be obtained afterwards. I am just trying to avoid being a bother. But, hey......if I'm sleeping, I'm not bothering anyone, right? @Cynthia777 - you better be hangin' near your pool on Friday!!! You promised! And @WendyP648 - you're going the day before me........I've got your hand! Wanna Race? See who listens to the mantra the best.....and remembers to not rush it?
 
Oh I'll be here...you can count on it! I'm happy you let us know that you won't be able to post until Friday! I would have been worried sick. I'll also be checking in on you until your surgery. Hang in there girlfriend!
 
@Nana2-8 - poking my nose in to say I'll bet you thought you'd never reach the stage when this was within touching distance. I've been very preoccupied with work and business trips so have neglected BS but you have all my positive thoughts (not that you really need them - you sound chipper and upbeat and that's THE best attitude believe me).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom