I have a date!!!...with my new hero!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey @DizzyBlond ~ No problem jumping in here! It's all about being prepared, right?
I'm not going to invest in any special pillows - but my set-up is wonky compared to others since I am 'setting up' on the family room sofa. I figure I have enough pillows around here to go thru a trial-and-error approach. As to the car, did you read where putting a plastic trash bag onto the car seat could be of help? I already have a rectangular piece of firm foam (from JoAnn Fabrics) packaged in plastic - for use in and out of the car. If getting into my DH's car after surgery is too uncomfortable, I hope to be able to wedge my way across the back seat (left leg NOT against the back of the seat) - and therefore have another trash bag at the ready (just in case).

As to it 'getting real' - BRING IT ON!!! Hey - since I'm feeling relatively good today, I am dusting and vacuuming - ya, I know....surgery is a month away.....it just might have to hold until then!!! (One can dream) At least I'm getting the top lair done! ~ I'm also approaching this saga in a rather caviler manner......that I will have a smaller incision, less restrictions, a positive-thinking OS, and want to be his 'star' patient!!! And maybe even more ice, less meds.....or maybe more meds PLUS more ice!! I intend to abide by the Bonesmart mantra - slow and steady wins the race - and am preparing myself to be (once again) at the mercy of a busy, distracted husband. I HATE, HATE, HATE asking for even little favors of help.....so intend to find the right time to present him with an approach of him asking me......"What do you want done before I leave for the office....or go to bed".......or "What can I do to help". That way, I (maybe) won't feel like I am such a burden.
 
I intend to abide by the Bonesmart mantra - slow and steady wins the race - and am preparing myself to be (once again) at the mercy of a busy, distracted husband. I HATE, HATE, HATE asking for even little favors of help.....so intend to find the right time to present him with an approach of him asking me......"What do you want done before I leave for the office....or go to bed".......or "What can I do to help". That way, I (maybe) won't feel like I am such a burden.

I like your approach for setting your husband up to succeed at helping, I may steal that as I am expecting the hardest part of this to be having to ask for help.
I hope to get my date from my surgeon today and will be joining you in the prep process.
 
Hi @MommaCatt ~ I'll be looking for you....to see if/when your date is. Let us know. ~ And, you're more than welcome to use my approach in asking for help.....whatever works, right? Let's hope we all turn out to be winners in the end (us, and our DH's!)
 
I have to laugh about asking hubbies (or whoever will be helping you post-op) for this or that! I hated it so much that I began changing the way I'd ask for something...

Honey, would you mind...
I need a really big favor sweetheart...
Darling, I hate to ask, but...
Babe, I really need your help, could you
I just hate asking you again, but...
You're not going to believe this, but I need

And the list went on! :rofsign:
 
Trust me, I DO use words of affection.....and always use the words "please" and "thanks, honey....I hope that's all for now".....BUT.....that doesn't mean it's always 'heard' in the same vain. I know how much I appreciate being thanked.....and I try to smile (even thru pain or tears) and will practice....and then practice some more.

Oh - @DizzyBlond - I thought of something else.....underwear!!! At first, I thought I'd be having the anterior approach, so bought 'one size larger' package of Hanes where elastic leg openings would be above the incision. Well, now my approach is 'superior' - which where OS outlined, would be somewhat higher! So....picked up another package of 'hi-cut' - really hi-cut (quite the number for this ole gal!! DH may benefit!!). If they interfere with my incision, I'll dream up some 'adjustment'.
 
@Sommers16, you mentioned wedge cushions. Can you tell me how you used them? I'm reading that I'd better be ready for a few weeks of sleeping on my back, and people have mentioned having a pillow between the legs while doing do. Any sort or sice of pillow?

@DizzyBlond - the wedge cushions I am speaking of are thicker on one end and thinner on the other, like the way a slice of cake slopes down. I use them in chairs. Sometimes I put one behind me for back support. I have a chair that has a long front to back seating area and the wedge in the back made it shorter and more comfortable. At other times I have taken one or both of the cushions to sit on to elevate the seat. Makes it easier sitting down and standing up. I still find it challenging at times getting comfortable sitting in general however. Probably helpful as it prompts me to get up and move around.

As for sleeping- my hospital sent me home with the foam triangular wedge we used there. You sleep on your back with the wedge between your knees and legs, and it keeps your legs parallel to each other and the operated leg can't cross over the middle, which would be a precaution violation. It gets old quickly sleeping on your back, but I found the divider wedge comforting in the sense that I might flip like a fish out of water without it.
 
Oh, there is nothing like this forum to bring me some much needed humor during this stressful time of waiting!! :loll:

@Nana2-8 - I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't want to spend a fortune on post-op recovery pillows! I'm not sure I can make it through JoAnn Fabric's though - last time I went to buy yarn a few weeks ago I barely limped out of there before collapsing! Maybe I'll just buy the firm foam cushion I saw on Amazon and be done with it. (Seems I'm buying everything online these days!) I did read about the plastic bags in the car seats - still trying to figure that one out - does it go on TOP of the foam cushion? Aye, aye, aye, the things to have to take into consideration! (Thanks for the link to Nana757, @Cynthia777 - I couldn't find the picture! I'll have to do a bit more searching of her posts!)

You mentioned that you had a relatively good day today, @Nana2-8 - YAY! I was curious whether other people had good and bad days the way I do. It worried me at first - I'd think maybe I didn't need surgery on the good days (with minimum activity level). Then I'll have a bad day, and say, "OH! THAT'S why I'm having surgery!" What sort of symptoms do you deal with when you're at your worst? I seem to have such a variance of things going on!

I had to laugh when I read your P.S. about the undies.... I'm having a lateral/posterior approach, so I'm going to guess that my French cut undies will hopefully miss the incision. (I guess there's always the "commando" possibility, too. Hey, the DH may just LOVE that! :heehee:) @Cynthia777 had a great suggestion with the tee-shirt long dresses - comfy and gives air circulation to the incision!

I hate to ask for help, too - I'm afraid I'll push myself when I shouldn't just because I like being independent. I guess I'd better get used to the idea of being completely dependent for a few weeks, right? :thud:

@MommaCatt - it's comforting to be in touch with others who are getting ready for the same major surgery, isn't it? Here's hoping you got your surgery date today! :fingersx:
 
Thanks so much for the information, @Sommers16! I seem to be obsessing about so many of these details, concerned that I'm going to forget something during this pre-op period that I'll desperately need or want post-operatively!
 
@DizzyBlond -you are very welcome- happy to help! Afterwards, if you are like me, you will find that certain items proved to be more useful and used than other items for your particular needs. But you will feel good, more in control of things, (and proud even) at having prepared so well!
 
As far as the good days/bad days, I went weeks at a time without any pain, only to have that awful groin pain return and disappear again. I sat on the fence for about a year, vacillating between moving forward or not moving forward. If I had it to do over again, I would have had my surgery at the first signs of a problem. At my age a year is a long time to sit in limbo. Since I found the pre-op wait to be the worse part of this journey, all I did was torture myself by waiting. I can't even put into words how wonderful it feels, both mentally and physically, to be on the recovery side.
 
Once again, finding such encouragement here! :SUNsmile:

@Sommers16 - Thanks for the sharing that - I think I'm understanding that it will be well worth my while to think through each step of the recovery process and be prepared! When you're so out of control in regards to so many other things, I would imagine it really DOES help to have a few things you CAN control! :-)

@Cynthia777 - I can't tell you how the explanation of your symptoms of pain helps me. I probably posted this before, but here it comes again... the mind wrestling!!!! I have had so many conflicting emotions about this surgery! Maybe because when the symptoms are practically absent, I think, "No big deal. Just wait, Robin." Then, when I try a few hours of "regular life" (a few chores around the house, or a trip to a store - a couple of hours up on my feet) and then the resulting consequences of just a couple of hours of weight bearing - audibly hearing the joint crack, deep buttock pain (stabbing), burning at front and side of hip, and eventually a throbbing, aching joint that stays with me for a day or two, etc., I'm reminded that something's definitely wrong in there! Again, x-ray imaging that wasn't all that bad has kept me hesitant. I think that's one of my big issues. I wanted a BAD x-ray, so there'd be no question!!!

I think I'm driving my husband crazy with my ongoing back and forth thoughts, but it's too late to change my mind now - I'm headed to the OR! And the fact that you just mentioned that you would have gotten things taken care of at the first sign of symptoms makes me feel so much better. You're SO right - at this point in life, I'm young enough to still be very active. And yet with the passing years come an inevitable slowing down - so why wait till THAT happens, when I can be recovering and then getting back into everything I'm missing out on right now? (Thanks for listening, Cindy - I'm sure you'll be hearing more from me before this is done.... Sometimes I think I'm going crazy!!! :heehee:)
 
I just posted over on your thread @DizzyBlond ~ my total exasperation with my tooth!!! I have to clear up whatever infection is there or may chance having my surgery canceled!! Extraction is looming in my future! I am getting so sick of being at the mercy of Dr.s!!! ~ And....having a major 'pity party' - since today is my birthday! Some gift!!! ~ Hang with me folks....I need all the prayers I can get at this point!
 
I left you a message there, @Nana2-8. To say that I'm so sad for you would be an understatement!!!! :bawl:
Big picture, girl... big picture.... Not too far from now this will all be history, over and done with, and you'll laugh at the MISERABLE timing of things.

Sending you a big birthday hug!!!!!!!
 
Oh - @DizzyBlond - I thought of something else.....underwear!!! At first, I thought I'd be having the anterior approach, so bought 'one size larger' package of Hanes where elastic leg openings would be above the incision. Well, now my approach is 'superior' - which where OS outlined, would be somewhat higher! So....picked up another package of 'hi-cut' - really hi-cut (quite the number for this ole gal!! DH may benefit!!). If they interfere with my incision, I'll dream up some 'adjustment'.

Hi...I bought men's cotton boxer shorts, biggest sizes and its great because you have no elastic on the legs and if you are at the doctor all you have to do is lift one side up and they can see the hip incision. No binding elastics and I think I will buy a few more pairs for everyday use as they are practical. Mine have ninja turtles on them so my grand daughter just cannot get over her gramma with ninja turtle underwear.
 
Wow! I've been missing the fun with all the kid craziness at Thompson's Place By The River!

Have marked my calendar for July 28! So....sooooooo excited for you @Nana2-8 !! @Cynthia777 CC, looks like you're getting our friend all ready for her Big Adventure! Can't wait to hear about that Superior Approach. I may be off the grid on your Big Day....We will take Taylor back to her Momma on the 24th and have decided to do a camping adventure as part of her return. Not sure if the Salt Springs Recreation Area in the Ocala National Forest has any cell signal these days or not....but you can bet I'll be checking in on you, somehow.....some way!!!

BTW.... Am suddenly having mega butt pain on Herman's side. It could be since I've had company since 2.5 weeks post op. Somebody shoot me! :rolleyes: CC? What do you think? I'll be using my cane again tomorrow, much to my dismay.... I've been so super pain free that I'm praying this isn't a set back :yikes:
 
So....24 hours later (after the tooth eruption!)....and plenty of deep breaths! Met with the PA in OS office today and answered (and asked) all the necessary questions......and then dropped the bomb about my tooth problems. The bottom line is: I've now got an appointment on next Thursday (rather than a 'consult' on Wednesday) to have the tooth extracted. Deal with any antibiotics immediately and have enough time to clear things up so that surgery won't have to be delayed. They will see me again one week before to determine if I am a GO! If not, then OS is flexible enough that he could do 'one more' the following week. Such a relief to hear I wouldn't be sent to the end of the line. ~ ~ Good new/bad news: Yes, I will have to wear the TEDS on both legs for two weeks, and on the operated leg for a total of 4 weeks (yuk!) And I even told them that those didn't match any of my 'recovery' wardrobe.....they didn't seem phased in the least!!! (Imagine that??) The good news: "Don't tell them I told you, but you can 'forget' to remove you hand and toe nail polish" He explained that they really won't be checking my fingers for BP......"we've come a long way since the '60's" - they have more sophisticated means to keep track of me!!! (Just wait til I try to sneak out the side door the night of surgery for a quick puff....THEN we'll see if they can really keep track of me!!)
Had my blood work done, the MRSA test, urine test, walker adjusted, got my super-duper spa-like soap for the night before and morning of! I'm all set but for Joint Academy the week before.....oh, and this silly tooth!
 
@canoewoman - Oh, my goodness, what a hit I would be with all my grands if I showed them Ninja Turtle boxers!!!! What a great idea - thanks so much for sharing! You may be starting a whole new trend in women's undergarments!!!! :heehee:
 
All I can say is, WHEW!!!!!!!!!!! What a relief, @Nana2-8!!! If you're looking at a possible postponement, it will only be a very short one!!! HURRAY!!!!! Again, big picture perspective - TEDS for a longer period of time? Remember - 6 months from now, all these things that have us tied up in knots (believe me, I've got quite a few of those knots!!!!) will be long gone!!! I'm looking forward (sort of) to my pre-op "lectures" on Monday... I have no intention of removing my nail polish, unless they tell me surgery will be canceled if I don't! HA!
I can't wait to read our posts 6 weeks from now - on the OTHER SIDE!!!! :yahoo:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom