TKR I did it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 13 and starting to feel more human lol. The smallest task seems to drain me quickly but I am starting to learn to pace myself. I have an appointment with pt on Tuesday but not sure how much I will be able to do. Again, I will just have to pace myself. Swelling massively improved on my knee but I do feel a lot of clunking and clicking happening. Is this normal? My surgeon said that the arthritis was so bad he had to put a larger spacer in?... I now feel like my replacement leg is longer than my other one lol
 
@Allthejays I have just read through your recovery thread. Sorry that you have been through so much since your surgery but glad that you are home and doing better. Wishing you all the best as you move forward in your recovery :flwrysmile:
 
@Allthejays Glad the swelling is going down! Clicking, clunking is normal. It will gradually go away. The implants have a spacer between the two metal pieces so it isn't metal on metal.
 
Hi @Allthejays ,
Relating very much to your thread except my hospital set back was abig gastric bleed with 4 days on a drip preceded by a traumatic endoscopic treatment.
It's now 10 days for me and a bit of a roller coaster. I don't have a family at home to take care of, just a husband at home who takes pretty good care of me...I'm lucky!
Will follow your progress and wish you allthe best.
 
I am so glad to hear you are feeling better. This procedure is hard enough without added complications. I too am finally doing better. Today I was able to set the CPM on 85 for the first time for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Just a little behind what my Doctor wanted. I go see him again tomorrow. Best of luck with your physical therapy.
 
Hi everybody, day 14 today and my knee is doing well. I'm getting about the house on one stick now and can feel the stability in my new knee quite well. I'm at pt tomorrow and will have my dressings renewed or removed as well. I'm lucky that I had dissolvable inner stitches with glue on the outside so no uncomfortable staples to be removed ;). I honestly did think I had a good pain thresh hold (5 babies all natural born with no pain relief) but after a tkr I can really say I'm pants at pain lol

I also see the warfarin clinic tomorrow to get my meds sorted for the embolism. I have been told I will need weekly blood tests as well but because I am still fairly young my long term health should improve with time ;)

Thank you all so much for just being here when I need you xx
 
Great. You are doing better than I am. I am still on the walker and my Doctor is not letting me walk around much. Working primarily on bending and straightening my knee.
 
Hi @ allthejays
So happy to hear you are doing better!!
Our recovery is not going to be an easy one. A lot of pt. a lot of work. But so with all of it!! I know that each of us will love being able to walk without the pain we had. Keeping up with our grand babies!! Going to the malls or stores and not having to find a place to sit down because of the pain in our knees. Yes the process to this may have its ups and downs but with it.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Allthe jays Sorry to hear about your setback. I had one this weekend too - came down with bronchitis and back to the doctor for more meds. I felt like I had been hit by a truck. My bedside tray looks like a pharmacy...I keep it all written down so I know what to take when, and feeling much better. Rest your leg, ice, and elevate. We are pulling for you and here for you.:dancy:
 
Day 16 and feeling good ;).

Pt yesterday was good, I think he actually took pity on me and didn't push lol. I have a bend of 110 and my leg is totally flat to the bed when straight (it didn't straighten at all pre op). Scar is healing nicely and I'm managing around the house with one stick

I think I may have overdone it slightly yesterday. I had the warfarin clinic, then went to asda and then had pt and I was having trouble keeping my eyes open at 9.30pm lol. I'm now managing to sleep on my right side which is a relief for me because I'm not a back sleeper at all
[Bonesmart.org] I did it
 
Hi @Allthejays. Fantastic news!! Gotta love it when we can finally sleep on our sides. I hate sleeping on my back. It was ok in the hospital since I was so out of it I didn't care.
Try and take it easy today. Your body will definitely tell you if you are doing to much. It'll just say nap time and bang that's what we do. Have a great day!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You are doing amazingly well. Must be your youth. This old woman is going forward slowly. I have been working on getting my leg straight and it is painful but almost there. Great job, we will get there.
 
Good to see you about Jackie :). Thanks for your kind words and I'm sure we will both get better in time. My problem is impatience lol. I have always been a very active person and I'm taking the recuperation rather badly lol. I have to keep reminding myself it's just over two weeks and I shouldn't be expecting miracles just yet lol
 
Day 25 and things are healing nicely. Still very stiff and last night was the first time in a few nights that I needed to take pain meds during the night. One question for the people who have been at this stage is.....is it normal to get very tired and ache a lot while just standing?
[Bonesmart.org] I did it
 
Wow, your scar looks really good. I had my TKR Oct. 3 and I still have scabs and bumps! How long can you stand before you get tired? I can only do about 10 mins or so. Making a yogurt/coffee bkfast, exhausts me.
 
My surgery was Oct 6 and I'm still weak as a kitten too. Taking a shower and dressing exhausts me. My hubby says it's because all my energy is going towards healing my knee.
 
Day 25 and things are healing nicely. One question for the people who have been at this stage is.....is it normal to get very tired and ache a lot while just standing?
[Bonesmart.org] I did it
Yes! It's amazing how much this surgery takes out of you. Week by week you'll see improvement.
 
Hi again. Day 26 and I managed a longish car journey (1.5 hours). Felt achey afterwards but not too bad ;)

Actually weighed myself today and I have lost a grand total of 23lb! I mean I could tell by my pyjamas that I had lost weight and people kept telling me that the op and the following problems had took their toll on me but because I haven't really been wearing my every day clothes I hadn't realised just how much I had lost lol. I think it's the combination of being in pain and not being able to think of anything else and the amount of pain meds I have been taking. I needed to lose a few pounds anyway lol

Has anybody found an alternative to anti inflammatory pills? Because I am on warfarin I am unable to take ibuprofen but my other painful joints are objecting to this. If anybody has any other ideas to help with arthritis I would love to hear them :)

Thanks for being around all of you xx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom