Guest viewing is limited

TKR I did it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning again ;). Day 4 after surgery and I suppose I can say I'm doing good. Slept through the night so missed pain meds (won't be doing that again lol) paying the price for the physio yesterday. PT says that if I can't lift my leg off the bed then I can't go home ;(. But on the bright side food is great ;)

Dressings are supposed to be changed today so I will try and get a pic

Speak later xx
 
@Allthejays I agree with Shortie, sometimes it takes weeks to raise the leg. Hubby's first knee took a couple of weeks, his second he could lift in the hospital. It doesn't keep you from walking!
 
Well folks I'm home. Had dressings changed and am really pleased with my scar. Considering i take so long to heal it looks pretty good. Internal stitches with glue on the outside :)
 
@Allthejays Glad you are home! Remember elevate and ice! Pain meds on schedule! Remember you are weak, so shower chair may be necessary. Saran Wrap your leg to shower from the bottom up and a little tap at top to hold it in place. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
 
Congratulations on getting home! It is comforting to be home. Take your meds on schedule and ice and elevate a lot. Check in with us any time you feel like it.
 
[Bonesmart.org] I did it
This is usually a positive thing, @Allthejays, but I suppose it could just as well express what you're feeling at the moment. Maybe you could get a friend or two to come over and do a little straightening up for you so things will at least look better on the surface and make being home more of the pleasure it should be.

MEN--can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em, and you can't shoot 'em---so I guess this means we just put up with them and fume inside from time to time.

So get some help getting things back together so you can feel better. Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
First congrats that you are home.
I understand being down when you get home and things aren't done or being left alone. Have you taken your pain meds? Take them and then either turn the tv on for noise or a book into bed and relax. The stuff that needs to be done can wait. Your number one job is to heal. Everything else is unimportant.
This will get better. It may not feel like it right now but it does.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thank you both. I just feel so useless at the moment. My body needs to heal but nobody else understands that. They all think that after 4 days in hospital I should be back to normal.

Bottomshollow I took your advice and grabbed a book and went back to my nest. Let them all deal with it when they get home ;)
 
@Allthejays My advise to anyone who's family thinks they should be fine is have the family watch the video of the surgery. Just turn a blind eye to the mess, and concentrate on you and healing your knee! Frankly I don't think most men actually 'see' the mess. Don't try to do things you aren't ready for or you will have a set back.
 
I agree with men not seeing the mess. It'll wait for you or one of your family to clean. I can tell you that it's going to be awhile before you even feel like messing with it. And don't push yourself to doing it either. Your body will not be happy with you at all. A book, TV, knitting, crocheting, whatever hobby that you have you can do in bed. Relax and enjoy the quiet!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Allthejays - so glad that you are home and recovering!

I've already told my husband we are hiring a cleaning service before my surgery - his family is coming to celebrate Christmas the weekend before my Tuesday surgery, so I'm gonna have someone come in and just sanitize the place. Luckily, my husband normally contains his mess to his office and our bedroom, and I'll be staying in the guest room for a couple weeks downstairs, so I'll see nothing up here! :heehee:
 
When I was first home, my husband left a full cup of coffee sit next to the couch all day long. It drove me absolutely bat crazy. At some point, you have to let it all go.

You underwent a huge surgery to make your life better, and it's worth the investment of time to heal. The house really will wait.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Morning all ;)

Day 6 of my recovery and I am a terrible patient lol. Ex has taken children to visit his mam for the day so I can have a total day of rest....thing is I like my kiddies here lol. My eldest, bless him is working away from home at the moment but gets home for weekends. He has put washing on, then the dryer. Done a grocery shop. Hoovered throughout and has now gone to play football with his mates. Only thing left to do is the ironing of school clothes. I managed two pairs of trousers before I had to give in. I feel so useless :(. Can anybody tell me when the pain stops and I can feel even a little bit human? I know its early days but I am just not used to asking for help

Also I seem to have totally lost my appetite. Is this normal? My son has been trying to get me to drink protein shakes which are okay but I am forcing them down to make him happy

Thanks for being there xx
 
Great that your home don't worry about the mess it will get done,but agree with you men never see it.
Take care rest and ice
 
From reading a bunch of threads it does seem that a lot of people do not have an appetite. You may want to supplement with an over the counter multivitamin. And eat protein, it's so important to healing.
 
@Allthejays Lose of appetite is very normal, but force yourself to eat. Protein is good for healing! You will feel energy drain for a while. Sounds like you need to get your pain better managed. Maybe talk to your OS about it. Recovery from TKR is a long process, but it will get better! Concentrate on the little things that you can do a little better each day. Don't concentrate on what you can't do because it will just depress you.
 
I never lose my appetite and I did. Try to eat just a little bit several times a day. Protein shakes are ok, but also just try to eat a little bit of a meal too. Within a couple of weeks the appetite should start to come back a bit.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom